04-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #67
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I've just looked under the right rear of my 45e. I think this might be the valve. There is a 3-wire connector attached.

When looking in realoem, it is indeed the exhaust flap.
So do we have a sport exhaust standard on the 45e ??

Maybe subjective but I had the impression I hear the engine more in sport setting? I don't have a sporty rumble sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #68
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
So do we have a sport exhaust standard on the 45e ??

Maybe subjective but I had the impression I hear the engine more in sport setting? I don't have a sporty rumble sound.
THe flap is supposed to give the engine better breathing in sport or full throttle position. The video is suggesting that removing the electric s plugin would default it to open and make it permanent sport - I tried it just now on my 40i and it does it without any engine light - takes about 30 seconds to do if you feel like it! Maybe a video of on vs. off with someone giving it some throttle will document the differences.

I did this on a Porsche 911 I had and it did make a difference - I just can't remember if it was a vacuum or electronically controlled valve system.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #69
menace33
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Mine has just arrived today

Hi all, I am very pleased to say that my X5 45e has just arrived today at my dealership. It is 2 months late due to covid-19 and closure of BMW factory in US.

There was no option of buying sport exhaust in Serbia and there is no option of retrofitting, so if anyone find the way of how to do it, please share.

On top of it, chip-tuning companies are offering going from 400hp to 500hp. Anyone did it?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #70
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Sports exhaust will sound funny with the main engine intermittently waking up / going to sleep while the electric engine is working. Just imagine the hearing this: (silence) VROOOOOM (silence) VROO (silence) (silence) VROOOOOOOOOOOOOM (silence).

According to what other people report, chip tuning seems to work fine and does not seem to mess up the way the the combustion engine and the electric engine interact.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #71
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The Porsche Taycan (base trim) has an option for "Porsche Electric Sport Sound". Doesn't' go into much detail - and I didn't look into too much - but I can only imagine this is artificial exhaust sound pumped into the cabin and maybe outside?
I understand why someone would want that but I don't understand why someone would get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #72
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
The Porsche Taycan (base trim) has an option for "Porsche Electric Sport Sound". Doesn't' go into much detail - and I didn't look into too much - but I can only imagine this is artificial exhaust sound pumped into the cabin and maybe outside?
I understand why someone would want that but I don't understand why someone would get it.
It is a weird electric noise. It doesn't sound like a combustion engine to me. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...-sound-option/
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #73
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
BMW is also composing an electronic sound for the i4. The Ipace also has an electronic "sport" sound. But those are interior sounds I think. Doesn't really make sense to broadcast them outside? Even on the inside I don't think you need it in an electric car. Maybe just to accommodate buyers who are afraid to miss the sound when switching from a V8 or 6 in-line to all electric.

Al new electric cars in Europe need to have pedestrian protection. The 45e has an external electric sound when driving up till 30 km/h. You don't really hear it inside with the windows closed but you do when they are open. It's a kind of buzzing space sound.

The 40e didn't have it and I had some near accident with bikers and pedestrians crossing the street without looking because they didn't hear anything (Darwin's law survival of the fittest is applicable here) Although I don't really like it I think it is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #74
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Has anyone tried the sports exhaust hack on their 45e?I am kinda interested to see if it works. I do most of my milage on full electric or constant speed highway.

Sometimes though it is nice to have the i6 sing so i would be interested to try this, unless it becomes annoying on the highway.

So, please share!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #75
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
the sports exhaust hack
Does it exist? What does it do?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #76
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

It does make more noise in sport mode doesn't it? Or is it just because when I am in sport mode I go in higher revs that the engine is more present?

Caramel apperntly the 45e has a sport valve on the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #77
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Gotta say this is a first.
      08-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #78
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
It does make more noise in sport mode doesn't it? Or is it just because when I am in sport mode I go in higher revs that the engine is more present?

Quote:

The X5 45e does make some noise in sport mode yes and yes it does have the valve but I'm not sure how far that valve really opens up in sport mode (is it all or nothing in general? or can it open up to a certain degree?).

The hack they are talking about would be to switch the valve open and have it open all the time, even in lower revs. It might/should make a difference in terms of sound but the question is how much and if it's interesting enough to go that route
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #79
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for explaining!

Has the hack been completed by anybody yet or is everybody still speculating about whether/how that hack would be possible?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #80
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Thanks for explaining!

Has the hack been completed by anybody yet or is everybody still speculating about whether/how that hack would be possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Thanks for explaining!

On non X45e yes, on X45e I have not seen or read about anyone who did it

It should definitely be possible
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 04:33 AM   #81
vroemvroem
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post

Apparently this does not work for European cars. As someone mentioned in the comments on the YouTube video:

"My x5 is EU/ German car and it has different exhaust with less noise because of EU regulations. It sounds same before and after like in sport mode, so this mod is only available for US cars."
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #82
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroemvroem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post

Apparently this does not work for European cars. As someone mentioned in the comments on the YouTube video:

"My x5 is EU/ German car and it has different exhaust with less noise because of EU regulations. It sounds same before and after like in sport mode, so this mod is only available for US cars."
Well the exhaust flap is there, also on the 45e. See my photo's earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #83
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I’ve purchased Bimmerlink today and located the fuse to pull, Planning on trying the hack on my 45e tomorrow, I’ll report back here.
I don’t expect too much, I turned on the active sound design via Bimmercode yesterday and didn’t hear any difference. It seems our 45e is not to be de-ecologised with any hint of sportiness
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 03:23 AM   #84
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

But as I unnderstand this opens the flap permanently right, so sport of comfort, loud it shall be. :-)

that is why i am a bit careful, but i wouldnt mind a bit more noise.
Esp since a lot of the time i am driving electric anyway, so when i want to go a bit faster, some extra noise might be cool.

2 reasons i didnt try yet, not so sure it is an added value on long highway drives, and the fact i have 2 left hands :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:03 AM   #85
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
But as I unnderstand this opens the flap permanently right, so sport of comfort, loud it shall be. :-)

that is why i am a bit careful, but i wouldnt mind a bit more noise.
Esp since a lot of the time i am driving electric anyway, so when i want to go a bit faster, some extra noise might be cool.

2 reasons i didnt try yet, not so sure it is an added value on long highway drives, and the fact i have 2 left hands :-)
With one left hand hold the phone/bimmerlink app, with the other left hand, pull the fuse.
Appreciate 3
Sirksael102.50
volodp196.50
      08-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #86
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
With one left hand hold the phone/bimmerlink app, with the other left hand, pull the fuse.

Thats a great solution :-)

still, would like some real life info before pulling the trigger, well, fuse...
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #87
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

On my 45e I opened the flap temporarily using BimmerLink, and the difference is noticable (rev'ed the engine in neutral).
You can hear the flap 'click' when opening/closing.

Still have to make it permanent by pulling the fuse tough...
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #88
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy_00 View Post
On my 45e I opened the flap temporarily using BimmerLink, and the difference is noticable (rev'ed the engine in neutral).
You can hear the flap 'click' when opening/closing.

Still have to make it permanent by pulling the fuse tough...
Do you maybe want to make a video/sound clip of the difference in sport mode?
Would be great if this is indeed a simple to give more umphh from the exhaust.
Appreciate 0