BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Rattle over the driver's seat

Is anyone else experiencing a rattle over the driver's seat when going over bumps?

It's hard to hear sitting in other parts of the car, but it's very noticeable in the driver's seat. My wife thought I was both crazy and OCD when I started complaining about it because she could barely hear it. Then she drove the car and agreed it'd drive her nuts too.

In the driver's seat, it's loud enough and at a particular pitch that it cuts through any audio. If I had to describe it, it almost sounds like a screw or washer was left loose and it rattles when the car hits a bump. But, I'm hoping it's not something that would require tearing the car apart to find.

It's beyond annoying in an otherwise quiet car with no creaks anywhere else. I can't reproduce it by pushing on or flexing anything. I thought it might be the door handle in the back seat, since I know sound can travel in unexpected ways in a car but it still makes the sound when the handle is held down.

Any ideas? Any similar rattles?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
could it be the sub below your seat? did you check to see if anything's obviously loose around the driver's seat?
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00
      12-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I've had an intermittent rattle from the B pillar area, but it's not loud enough to cut through audio. I too tried to jiggle things and found nothing loose, though I thought it may be coming from the black trim on the outside of the door along the trailing edge of the window.
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00
      12-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. This morning, I think I isolated it to the sunroof. Not 100%, but opening the roof makes it slightly louder. If it was a sound bouncing off the sunroof from somewhere else, I'd think it'd go away rather than increase in volume. Could be wrong. Very annoying, to say the least, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
4g4me
Rep

Yes, I have this same issue/rattle. It will cut thru any audio, and is directly related to bumps in the road. I keep pushing on different parts of the door and the B pillar trim, but I can not isloate the sound. The car is very quiet otherwise, which almost makes this worse. I have had 2 experiences with BMW service, and they would laugh me out of there for a complaint like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g4me View Post
The car is very quiet otherwise, which almost makes this worse.

This. It's even more annoying because it's an isolated sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I'm having this same rattle too. Sounds like its coming from the passenger seat, B pillar or sunroof area. I've tapped around different places but can't duplicate the sound. I can hear the rattle best at city speeds.

Anyone take it in yet and have it check out or resolved?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Obviously when it’s cold out, things tend to rattle more. Have you noticed it changing in different temps? I know it’s winter here in the North East but wondering if it is a factor.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

The rattle I have has been driving me nuts. It happens over most small bumps, so city driving, which I do mostly, sounds like I'm driving with a screen door open rattling in the wind.

I had an appointment yesterday with the dealer, but had to cancel. I also wanted to have a pretty good sense of what was wrong before bringing it in and sitting there all day only to have them tell me there is nothing wrong. I even recorded the sound over some bumps so I could play it back when I brought it in, but I'm sure'd they'd just look at me like my wife does when I complain about the rattle in my new car.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I think I've narrowed it down to the sunroof. It happens whether the sunroof is open or closed, but sounds slightly louder if it's opened.

It seems to me that the arms on the small windscreen that pops up when the sunroof is open might be the culprit. I can jiggle them to make them rattle pretty easily, whether they're down or up (closed or open), and the type of the sound is similar (if not exact) to what I'm hearing.

I've tried two or three things over the past week, including shimming the space where the arms rotate on a pin, since that seemed the be the most obvious place where they could rattle. That didn't help.

Well, I was just out taking another look and noticed that the passenger side was not lubed at all (as in nothing, not a drop of grease) under the little spring arm that raises the windscreen when the sunroof is open. This definitely made a rattling sound when I wiggled the arm. The driver's side is fully lubed, so clearly one of them was not done correctly. I just added some lube to passenger side to match the driver's side, including all under the spring arm. It seems to have dampened the rattled a bit (with me pushing on it to try to make it rattle). I haven't been able to take it for a test drive, so this might not be it in the end but I'm hopeful.

All this to say, I've tried a few things but the latest seems most promising since it was clear that they missed something in assembly--there was something different on both sides of the car--and it seems to have helped (at least when I try to recreate the rattle by hand), if not yet confirmed in a test drive.

If it works, I'll take some photos of the spot I'm talking about and share them.

Last edited by Tlon; 01-06-2019 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
MystroX56243.00
      01-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Excellent. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I drove for about 8 minutes and no rattle...then it was back. Not sure what it is. I'm afraid this has really diminished my enjoyment of what is otherwise a great vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Let service deal with it. That’s what they are there for.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #13
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Please keep us updated! Squeaks, rattles, and strange noises is why I traded my old vehicle for this new X5. It's overall pretty good, but I do get some minor rattles that are bugging me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Let service deal with it. That’s what they are there for.
I hear you, but having spent many days in the shop trying to chase down a bad rattles with two previous BMWs, I'm not enthusiastic about starting that process again with a brand new car.

You take off work, bring in the car into BMW service, and tell them it's got a bad rattle that is driving you nuts. They take it in. Six hours later they come back and tell you they can't reproduce the rattle. You make another appointment, another day off work. This time they give you a loaner, but all that means is that they've dropped you to the bottom of any priority list, so you're three days without your car. Rinse, repeat. Then, you convince the service manager (or rattle guru, whomever is available) to drive with you on a street you know makes the car rattle like a bad washing machine on spin cycle. Or maybe you're lucky and you convince them to drive with you on the first day. But, it's raining, so they can't hear the rattle again. Another appointment. Finally, you get them to drive with you on a good day, they hear the rattle. They take the car for three days and return it saying they believe they've fixed it. They haven't. Eventually, either the shop or the rattle wins but you've wasted days of your life over a stupid rattle that makes the care sound like it was put together by drunken elves on a bender.

And, it's made even worse because most people don't care and really don't take this all that seriously.

And, apologies for the short rant. It was a rattle-ful drive in this morning, and it got me off on the wrong foot.

Last edited by Tlon; 01-07-2019 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post

And, apologies for the short rant. It was a rattle-ful drive in this morning, and it got me off on the wrong foot.
Right there with you Tlon. Rattles bother me on a level that I think 99% of people don't understand. They literally put me in a bad mood and made me trade in my last vehicle at only 7 or 8 months old because they were too numerous! I too look to these boards for common problems so I can either fix myself or tell the tech FIX EXACTLY THIS THING.
Appreciate 2
Tlon173.00
1230vani637.00
      01-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #16
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

An update of sorts:

After a bit more investigation, I noticed that the rear corner of the sunroof on the passenger side has a lot more play than the driver's side. It also makes a knocking sound if I lift it. The driver's side barely moves and makes no sound. I also noticed that there is a little piece of foam (looks about as flimsy as possible along the runners under the sunroof. The one on the driver's side looks perfectly shaped. The one on the passenger side is all bunched up and greasy. I'm not sure if these are meant to be there or if there were left during assembly -- they seriously look like a piece of foam I'd expect to find in a piece of packaging for a piece of computer hardware -- but if the latter one is just damaged. Wondering if this is contributing.

Anyway, the rattling has been a lot worse these past two days--it's pretty much constant--so I have an appointment on Saturday to have BMW take a look. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 2
X5_CC288.50
1230vani637.00
      01-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
An update of sorts:

After a bit more investigation, I noticed that the rear corner of the sunroof on the passenger side has a lot more play than the driver's side. It also makes a knocking sound if I lift it. The driver's side barely moves and makes no sound. I also noticed that there is a little piece of foam (looks about as flimsy as possible along the runners under the sunroof. The one on the driver's side looks perfectly shaped. The one on the passenger side is all bunched up and greasy. I'm not sure if these are meant to be there or if there were left during assembly -- they seriously look like a piece of foam I'd expect to find in a piece of packaging for a piece of computer hardware -- but if the latter one is just damaged. Wondering if this is contributing.

Anyway, the rattling has been a lot worse these past two days--it's pretty much constant--so I have an appointment on Saturday to have BMW take a look. Wish me luck.
You got a lot going for you as you can duplicate the rattle at will. That’s half the battle with service finding the fix. Seems like you certainly found a very good place for them to look.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #18
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
An update of sorts:

I've isolated mine to the passenger side of the moonroof too. When I tap on the glass I can hear it rattle.

The part you're lifting, is it the shade cover for the moonroof when fully closed?

I also notice that my rear passenger seat cushion has some play and clicking type noise when I push down on it. Almost as if it wasn't installed properly from the factory. Interestingly, my rattle isn't as noticeable when I have someone sit in the rear passenger side seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #19
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
The part you're lifting, is it the shade cover for the moonroof when fully closed?
No, it's the actual sunroof. The rattle happens whether the sunroof is closed or opened (first or second position) and with the shade opened or closed. With the sunroof opened, I can pull up on (flex) the rear part of the sunroof on the passenger side in a way that the driver's side doesn't. I'm not sure this is the source of the rattle, but it's one possibility.

Frankly, as I've pushed and pulled on various parts of the car to try to find the source of this rattle, I've noticed there are a lot of hard plastic parts resting on metal with enough room to move that rattles could start coming from anywhere. I'm afraid this car may be a future rattle box no matter what happens with this particular sunroof rattle.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #20
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just an update: I had the car in the dealership this AM for 5 hours. Unfortunately, they couldn't fix the problem. They had to order a replacement seal, which will take a day. That didn't seem to be the source of the rattle, though. The good news is that they can replicate the rattle. The bad news is that they think it's inside the sunroof mechanism, which they'll need to disassemble. So, I need to bring it back next week when the part is in and leave it for a couple of days. Annoyed, particularly at having to leave a brand new car, but if all this fixes the rattle, I'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #21
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Just an update: I had the car in the dealership this AM for 5 hours. Unfortunately, they couldn't fix the problem. They had to order a replacement seal, which will take a day. That didn't seem to be the source of the rattle, though. The good news is that they can replicate the rattle. The bad news is that they think it's inside the sunroof mechanism, which they'll need to disassemble. So, I need to bring it back next week when the part is in and leave it for a couple of days. Annoyed, particularly at having to leave a brand new car, but if all this fixes the rattle, I'll be happy.
Sounds like they will be able to take care of it even if there will be some inconvenience. Generally any problem that can be replicated can be fixed. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00
      01-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #22
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Did they give an indication where the subject sunroof mechanism is? Is it in the area at the top of the windshield where the dome lights are?
Appreciate 0