BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Did they give an indication where the subject sunroof mechanism is? Is it in the area at the top of the windshield where the dome lights are?
They didn't. It's difficult to trace the sound when driving but it sounds like it's coming from farther back to me. I could be wrong, though. I got the sense that this was going to entail taking the sunroof off.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #24
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Any news from anyone about sources of rattles?

I am growing increasingly frustrated by the number of rattles in this vehicle. It is a supreme disappointment in a vehicle at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #25
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Sounds like you’ve had a fairly consistent experience with BMW’s and rattles - 2 previous vehicles and now again with the X5. As a soon-to-be first time owner of a BMW, I’m curious - why were you willing to take a chance with this one? (I’m hoping to hear that all the other great things about your previous cars were enough to overcome the rattle issues...)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #26
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Any news from anyone about sources of rattles?

I am growing increasingly frustrated by the number of rattles in this vehicle. It is a supreme disappointment in a vehicle at this price point.
I'm pretty upset at this point. The car has been at the dealership for two days. The CA has been great, but the shop didn't get the car in during the first day, so it sat in the lot all day.

Today, they found out the part they ordered and received last week was damaged upon arrival (no one checked until they brought the car into the shop. That is a seal and has nothing to do with the rattle, unfortunately.

For the rattle, they think they need to remove the headliner. I'm sick to my stomach having a $80k car torn apart after owning it for less than a month. Like I said, the CA has been great and it may all work out, but I can't imagine tearing this all down is not going to create damage somewhere or introduce new weak spots that will eventually rattle.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #27
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGU812 View Post
Sounds like you’ve had a fairly consistent experience with BMW’s and rattles - 2 previous vehicles and now again with the X5. As a soon-to-be first time owner of a BMW, I’m curious - why were you willing to take a chance with this one? (I’m hoping to hear that all the other great things about your previous cars were enough to overcome the rattle issues...)
The cars are generally great vehicles, better by far than most anything else close to it in price. Believe me, this last problem may test my resolve to stick with BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #28
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

I just rode in the back seat of my X5. There is a rattle coming from both sides in the rear seat, the passenger side a bit louder than on the driver side.

I tried touching every piece of trim from top to bottom — I could not find the piece rattling. However, when I press pretty hard on the area circled below, the rattle is diminished. I'm afraid it's something inside the door.

Interested if this is the source of others' rattles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #29
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update:

I got my car back from the dealer today. It was there for three full days. They reseated the sunroof seal and had the NE BMW Regional Engineer -- who was at the shop today -- look at the car. They test drove it and thought it was fixed. I picked up and within three bumps the rattle was still there.

I'm pretty bummed out. Three days, the car half town apart, and it's no better than it was.

The good news is that CA I'm working with was great, and I'm hopeful that we'll get this sorted out at some point. I've decided to live with it until the next major software update comes out, and then I'll take it in and hope they can fix it and do the update at the same time.
Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      02-02-2019, 11:53 PM   #30
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

I was recently given a brand new G05 loaner, and it recently had a loud rattle above the driver’s seat that could be heard over the radio. I was the first customer to ever drive it, and this rattle started at just 50 miles on the odometer. It was very loud.

My passenger looked for the rattle and finally found that when pressing on the sunroof, the rattle went away. Then it didn’t come back. My own G05 (which is nearing 2 weeks in the shop) didn’t ever have this rattle even after 3,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:59 AM   #31
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

We have 3500 miles on ours. Zero rattles. So it is possible to have a rattle free G05! I have major OCD when it comes to rattles, so I’m glad ours is dead silent!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #32
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was recently given a brand new G05 loaner, and it recently had a loud rattle above the driver’s seat that could be heard over the radio. I was the first customer to ever drive it, and this rattle started at just 50 miles on the odometer. It was very loud.

My passenger looked for the rattle and finally found that when pressing on the sunroof, the rattle went away. Then it didn’t come back. My own G05 (which is nearing 2 weeks in the shop) didn’t ever have this rattle even after 3,000 miles.
Any idea what it was?

This sunroof rattle is killing me. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard at this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #33
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Quote:

Any idea what it was?

This sunroof rattle is killing me. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard at this point.
Can you record a video/audio of the sound?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #34
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

I tried with my phone. It's audible in the audio but it doesn't translate completely. Sounds more like clicks. It's not constant -- only over certain bumps that seem to flex the body -- so it was a pain to record. I ended up deleting it from my phone once the dealership confirmed they could hear it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #35
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I tried with my phone. It's audible in the audio but it doesn't translate completely. Sounds more like clicks. It's not constant -- only over certain bumps that seem to flex the body -- so it was a pain to record. I ended up deleting it from my phone once the dealership confirmed they could hear it.
Gotcha. I'm sorry you are dealing with that.
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00
      02-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #36
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Rattle over the driver's seat

I just took this video in a brand new G05 loaner. Only 150 miles on the odometer. The noise first started at about 50 miles. Is this what you were hearing? This is unbelievably annoying and I'm so glad it hasn't happened on my own G05.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #37
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just took this video in a brand new G05 loaner. Only 150 miles on the odometer. The noise first started at about 50 miles. Is this what you were hearing? This is unbelievably annoying and I'm so glad it hasn't happened on my own G05.

Is the sunroof open or closed?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #38
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
That's with the sunroof closed. The rattle is also there whether or not the shade is closed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #39
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
That's with the sunroof closed. The rattle is also there whether or not the shade is closed.
Oh man I pray I don't get a rattle
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #40
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Man, that's horrible. Mine sounds similar but mine is not quite as bad. It's not constant as in the video. It only happens over some kinds of bumps. Some roads are perfectly fine and there is no rattle. Some roads, though, it might as well be all the time. Some days seem worse too, though it has nothing to do with the temperature and it may just be that I'm driving on different roads. The problem now is that I anticipate the rattle no matter the conditions, so it's definitely making me enjoy the car less.

I take it in again tomorrow to the dealership to see if they can fix it. They want it for multiple days, which really annoys me even though I get that they need time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #41
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Man, that's horrible. Mine sounds similar but mine is not quite as bad. It's not constant as in the video. It only happens over some kinds of bumps. Some roads are perfectly fine and there is no rattle. Some roads, though, it might as well be all the time. Some days seem worse too, though it has nothing to do with the temperature and it may just be that I'm driving on different roads. The problem now is that I anticipate the rattle no matter the conditions, so it's definitely making me enjoy the car less.

I take it in again tomorrow to the dealership to see if they can fix it. They want it for multiple days, which really annoys me even though I get that they need time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #42
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Good luck! Hope they get it taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #43
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update: it's still in the shop, but they think they've identified the problem Apparently one of the screws in the sunroof (not sure which or where) was seated/inserted incorrectly, stripping the screw and the socket. The screw doesn't grab anything, so it allows the roof to rattle. They apparently have to take the roof liner off, re-thread the socket and replace the screw. I'm hoping this is the only issue and it fixes it for good.

In the meantime, I'm driving a newer 5 series. It's a nice (and quiet!) car, but it makes me appreciate iDrive 7 and all the new features of the G05.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #44
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quick update: it's still in the shop, but they think they've identified the problem Apparently one of the screws in the sunroof (not sure which or where) was seated/inserted incorrectly, stripping the screw and the socket. The screw doesn't grab anything, so it allows the roof to rattle. They apparently have to take the roof liner off, re-thread the socket and replace the screw. I'm hoping this is the only issue and it fixes it for good.

In the meantime, I'm driving a newer 5 series. It's a nice (and quiet!) car, but it makes me appreciate iDrive 7 and all the new features of the G05.
Glad they found it — that's like 90% of the problem! Can't tell you how many rattles over the years a dealer "could not reproduce." That sunroof rattle on my loaner is the most obnoxious rattle I've ever heard in a car... can't believe you've suffered so long with that above your head.
Appreciate 0