BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #45
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Glad they found it — that's like 90% of the problem! Can't tell you how many rattles over the years a dealer "could not reproduce." That sunroof rattle on my loaner is the most obnoxious rattle I've ever heard in a car... can't believe you've suffered so long with that above your head.
Since the car has intermittently rattled less on occasion, I was steeling myself for not being able to reproduce the sound. True to form, on Monday, the day before I took it in, it was rattling less. It was likely that I was just driving on smoother roads, but I started to get concerned I/they wouldn't be able to reproduce the noise the next morning. I almost called and rescheduled the appointment. It's a sad state when you actually have to wish the car will rattle so you can convince someone it is actually rattling. Thankfully (!), first bump on the test drive with the tech and he heard the rattle. The service team has been really great so far, so I'm thankful that they're taking it seriously on a new car.

But, I've also been there with a rattle that only happened when no one else was there to hear it. Nothing is more frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #46
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Update:

It seems to be fixed. They had to remove the headliner, re-tap the hole, and replace the screw with a new one. So far so good. It's absolutely amazing how much a little rattle can ruin an otherwise nice car. The entire experience of the first two months was either being annoyed at hearing the rattle or being annoyed at the expectation of hearing the rattle. I am really hoping this is gone for good so I can enjoy driving this car.
Appreciate 3
X5_CC288.50
TurtleBoy13124.00
      02-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #47
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I hope this irritation is now erased from your life and you can enjoy your X5. Mine is awaiting transportation to my dealer and my fingers are crossed that I will get a trouble and rattle free vehicle.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00
      08-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #48
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

2020 G06 x40i, and I'm experiencing the similar rattling issue on the driver side. The rattling noise is noticeable when I go on an uneven road at low speed like 10-20 miles but doesn't happen all the time. Doesn't happen at high speed on a highway even if the highway has a bump. The rattling noise is minor but it bothers me. It sounds like some plastics hitting each other. If I turn the music volume higher, I will not even hear the sporadic ratting noise. I initially thought it was the front left suspension, but I don't think that is the issue because the car drives fine. I checked the sunroof and Im pretty sure that the rattling noise does not come from there. It has gotta come from the bottom. It is a lease so I don't feel that upset but Id like to fix it.

This ratting started a few days ago after I activated the park brake for the first time because I was doing my first OTA update. Not sure whether the park brake screwed up some mechanical components but this seems illogical based on my driving experience
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #49
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
2020 G06 x40i, and I'm experiencing the similar rattling issue on the driver side. The rattling noise is noticeable when I go on an uneven road at low speed like 10-20 miles but doesn't happen all the time. Doesn't happen at high speed on a highway even if the highway has a bump. The rattling noise is minor but it bothers me. It sounds like some plastics hitting each other. If I turn the music volume higher, I will not even hear the sporadic ratting noise. I initially thought it was the front left suspension, but I don't think that is the issue because the car drives fine. I checked the sunroof and Im pretty sure that the rattling noise does not come from there. It has gotta come from the bottom. It is a lease so I don't feel that upset but Id like to fix it.

This ratting started a few days ago after I activated the park brake for the first time because I was doing my first OTA update. Not sure whether the park brake screwed up some mechanical components but this seems illogical based on my driving experience
The rattling noise does not come from the rear bench and cargo cover. I pulled down the rear bench and removed the cargo cover, the rattling noise persisted at low speed on uneven roads. I'm pretty sure the noise comes from the left front. I looked underneath and did not see any loose screws. Tire pressure is okay. I'm lost now. Are there any G06 owners experiencing similar rattling noise on the driver side?
Appreciate 0