BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
hmbmd
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Car does not always recognize key fob

I have now owned my G05 X5 for 6 weeks. I traded from a 2016 F15. Car drives great. Car looks great. There have been several issues which I will detail in different posts.

At times, I get a warning that there is no key when I try to start the engine. After a few seconds, the car recognizes the key and the engine starts. It does not matter if the key is buried deep in my pocket or in my had in plain view. I changed the battery and it functions at great distances to lock/unlock the doors or perform a remote start. (remote start from connected drive app has not been functioning for two days but that issue is covered in two different posts).
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmd View Post
I have now owned my G05 X5 for 6 weeks. I traded from a 2016 F15. Car drives great. Car looks great. There have been several issues which I will detail in different posts.

At times, I get a warning that there is no key when I try to start the engine. After a few seconds, the car recognizes the key and the engine starts. It does not matter if the key is buried deep in my pocket or in my had in plain view. I changed the battery and it functions at great distances to lock/unlock the doors or perform a remote start. (remote start from connected drive app has not been functioning for two days but that issue is covered in two different posts).
My Summit would do this exact thing. I would get a message of “key not in vehicle” then it would see it. It’s a internal sensor in the vehicle that gets the signal and activates the key. It didn’t happen enough for me on my old Summit for me to investigate it anymore. I think a lot of the keyless systems do this from time to time. I always thought it was interference from my phone or something. I just programmed my “key card” and it has worked flawlessly the dozen or so times I have tested it. I may not use the fob anymore. It also works through my wallet without ever getting the card out.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU764.50
      01-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
My Summit would do this exact thing. I would get a message of “key not in vehicle” then it would see it. It’s a internal sensor in the vehicle that gets the signal and activates the key. It didn’t happen enough for me on my old Summit for me to investigate it anymore. I think a lot of the keyless systems do this from time to time. I always thought it was interference from my phone or something. I just programmed my “key card” and it has worked flawlessly the dozen or so times I have tested it. I may not use the fob anymore. It also works through my wallet without ever getting the card out.
Do you request the key card at the time of order?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

My G05 has only done this a couple of times. But what is ridiculous is that I've had keyless access on three other vehicles since 2010 and have never had this issue. Not like it's a new technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Key recognition is slow and not robust. If i have my X5 and my 540i keys in the same pocket, the X5 will not recognize the key's presence. Also, my iphone with my key in the same pocket can cause a problem. And even when the key is by itself if i pull too quickly on the handle, the car will be locked. It takes a second for the doors to unlock. Overall, feels buggy like the idrive and carplay issues we are having. It's the first model year so I'm sure there are lots of bugs to iron out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
jbx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 XDrive35i M-Sport

Same here.

Said it before and it’s worth repeating. We are alpha testers for BMW. They knowingly released iDrive7, comfort access, connected “anything”, and all of the safety systems without proper thorough testing for the latest versions as deployed in the G05.

<RANT>

All of it fixable in software but just like Apple, Samsung, and countless others they have a development roadmap, sprints, release cycles and prioritize them without any regard to delivered problems. Rarely do software developers have teams dedicated to bug fixes, it’s always about the next version and not looking back.

We are promised OTA delivered fixes that at least to date are non-existent and those that waste hours and reportedly days of time taking their cars back to the dealer are not necessarily ending up with better working systems, in some cases it’s worse.

Unfortunately our busy culture and inability to fight the monopoly en-masse as a collective group without a huge undertaking propagates this bad behavior and reinforces the companies’ development standards.

It’s a viscous cycle. I live it every single day with my car, my phone, and in my role as an IT services provider with every single software vendor I deal with whether it’s what we use internally in my company or what we sell/deliver/train/implement/support for clients.

</RANT>
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

This was happening to me often. The car would open upon approach, clearly recognizing that I had the key. It would start, also clearly recognizing that they key was present. And, then I'd get a warning that no key was present. I could still drive, lock the car, turn off and restart the car, etc., and I could clear the warning (or it went away, can't recall which). I tried placing and waving the key in the spot on the steering column, but no luck.

Eventually, I switched to me other key. I had it happen once with the second key, but otherwise, it's been fine. Apparently we're beta testing keys too.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Do you request the key card at the time of order?
Early builds like mine had to have the dealer get them for the customer. New orders will come with key card at delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
My G05 has only done this a couple of times. But what is ridiculous is that I've had keyless access on three other vehicles since 2010 and have never had this issue. Not like it's a new technology.
Yea but it’s being implemented though a much more sophisticated system now. It’s certainly not a excuse but what the car does now when it recognizes your key is significantly more involving.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

2019 G05 X5 with key fob not working properly.

I walk up to the truck and put my hand by the driver’s door handle, but nothing happens. Worked sporadically in the past, but no longer it seems. Still working for driver’s side rear door, however. Truck also sometimes doesn’t turn on, stating ‘missing key’.

I replaced the key fob battery, but no change. What else can I do to fix this? Any way to reset/recalibrate the system? Any fuses to pull and replace? Any other fix for this yet? Don't want to go to the dealer.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

I would bring it in for an appointment. You shouldn’t have to do all of that.
Restart the idrive by holding down volume button is worth a try if you haven’t done that already.

Last edited by jasrboyd; 11-13-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
calpharo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
2016 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I've had this issue with both my G05 as well as my F90. Here is what happens:

1) enter vehicle (key in left pocket)
2) start vehicle normally
3) get error that key not in vehicle
4) subsequently phone does NOT connect to Bluetooth.

The workaround that I got from the f90 boards is that you just press the unlock then lock button on your key fob and it will recognize the key and allow the phone to connect.

When I brought it up to the dealer, their excuse is that they key was too far away from the center console (in my left pocket) and needs to be placed near the cup holder. I call BS. But it's not worth going back and forth with the dealer when I know the workaround.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #14
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpharo View Post
I
When I brought it up to the dealer, their excuse is that they key was too far away from the center console (in my left pocket) and needs to be placed near the cup holder. I call BS. But it's not worth going back and forth with the dealer when I know the workaround.
My key is always in my left pocket and it is no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I am wondering if this is Software or a Hardware fault or issue?

I'm on my 2nd G05; and I've never had this issue with my new car. Currently on 07/2019.47 which is the same S/W I got at delivery in September this year.

My 1st G05 (aka "the lemon") had this issue; it was intermittent - probably only did it in 1 out of 4 entries/starts, but I wonder if its an antenna or other hardware issue associated with sensing the proximity of the key?

FYI - I returned the 1st G05 to the dealer because I lost count the number of times I had to take it back, AND spend countless hours waiting for stuff to be fixed. I had to fight for it, along with some threats to go to our Consumer Affairs watchdog - but eventually they capitulated.
I didn't even bother to report this issue - because I considered it trivial in the context of all the other issues I was having.....this one is just a pain in the ass that can get annoying...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #16
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Hi Guys, bumping this tread...for the past two days my X5 is not recognizing either one of my key fobs. Placing it next to the steering column does not help. Any tips, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #17
axz17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Hi Guys, bumping this tread...for the past two days my X5 is not recognizing either one of my key fobs. Placing it next to the steering column does not help. Any tips, thanks.
I had this issue within less than week of vehicle delivery (less than 100miles driven) where my key wouldn't be recognized. Called BMW assist as they attempted to troubleshoot remotely but they summed it up to be a faulty BDC module which resulted in getting the vehicle towed to the dealer.

Dealer found a fault code - 216118 starter blocked

They replaced the module which meant getting a set of replacement keys as well. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:56 AM   #18
FarsBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40 M package

Same here happens quite often, does not recognize the FOB's (mine or my wife's). However unlock when you touch the door handle. -it's been so ever since I got the car, will get it checked at next service.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:29 AM   #19
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Same issue.

In my case it started when I swapped from the Display Key to the standard fob. 50% of the time it locks me in the car, complains the key needs to touched against the column, which doesn't work. The only way to unlock the car is to start the engine or unlock from the fob. Pretty dangerous.

Swapped back to the display key and it's fine again so looks like a dodgy key.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:43 AM   #20
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M Sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I get this issue every few days with mine.
I only use the display key. As soon as i place it near the steering column, its resolved.

Annoying though.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:22 AM   #21
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

My iphone and airpods charging case has caused interference with key detection. When I keep my key away from those devices, it works pretty reliably. If my key is touching one of those devices in a bag or pocket then the key usually does not work. I have the same issue with the key for my 2018 540i so I figured it was normal for BMW keys to be so sensitive tp electronic interference.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #22
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
My iphone and airpods charging case has caused interference with key detection. When I keep my key away from those devices, it works pretty reliably. If my key is touching one of those devices in a bag or pocket then the key usually does not work. I have the same issue with the key for my 2018 540i so I figured it was normal for BMW keys to be so sensitive tp electronic interference.
I have the same issue. If my fob and my phone are in the same pocket, the car will not recognize the fob.
Appreciate 0