BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Mongoose777
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X 5 M-Sport

22" vs 21" vs 20" Wheels??

Hello all,
I am new here on this forum, so hi to everybody.
I just bought a new 2019 BMW X5 M-Sport w/M brakes (x40i) Tanzanite/Brown Merino leather, so its on its way and could possibly be here this weekend.
My question is its coming with 22" wheels. Ive read there are numerous concerns and complaints about wheel and tire damage due to pot holes. Im sure to buy the wheel and tire warranty. But, I also read that the tires will likely only last from 8k to 18k miles, that's like replacing tires almost every year. Does anybody know if the 21" tires will be the same or would they last longer? Im seriously considering going with the 20" 740 M wheel and tires since they are not low profile tires. Are the 20" 740M's a staggered setup? Would they look out of place with the M-Sport setup?
I also got the Comfort Handling Package option, would this effect the 20's or would they work better together?
Thanks for any responses.

Last edited by Mongoose777; 07-31-2019 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:27 AM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose777 View Post
Hello all,
I am new here on this forum, so hi to everybody.
I just bought a new 2019 BMW X5 M-Sport w/M brakes (x40i) Tanzanite/Brown Merino leather, so its on its way and could possibly be here this weekend.
My question is its coming with 22" wheels. Ive read there are numerous concerns and complaints about wheel and tire damage due to pot holes. Im sure to buy the wheel and tire warranty. But, I also read that the tires will likely only last from 8k to 18k miles, that's like replacing tires almost every year. Does anybody know if the 21" tires will be the same or would they last longer? Im seriously considering going with the 20" 740 M wheel and tires since they are not low profile tires. Are the 20" 740M's a staggered setup? Would they look out of place with the M-Sport setup?
I also got the Comfort Handling Package option, would this effect the 20's or would they work better together?
Thanks for any responses.
First, welcome. Congratulation on your new ride.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about wheel size and you will get all kinds of responses. Those who have 22's seem to be happy with them but their focus has been how the car looks.

I read all those posts and decided on 20's with a square setup and I couldn't be happier. The ride quality, even with the runflats, is great. I did not expect it to be that good so I have ditched my plan to swap the run flats with go flats. That swap can wait until my tires wear out.

If you go to tirerack and look at tire prices, you will find that the selection of tires for the 20" wheel is way better and the price per tire is way lower. This research will tell you what you are in for when it comes time to replace tires. Also, the 20" tire choices have higher wear ratings so not only do they last longer, they are cheaper when you do need to replace.

For me, the 20's look great and ride great. No regrets at all.

I'm curious, you said you already ordered the car. Isn't it too late to swap wheels/tires?

Whatever you decide its going to be great. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Djrjn0.00
      08-01-2019, 01:24 AM   #3
Mongoose777
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about wheel size and you will get all kinds of responses. Those who have 22's seem to be happy with them but their focus has been how the car looks.

I read all those posts and decided on 20's with a square setup and I couldn't be happier. The ride quality, even with the runflats, is great. I did not expect it to be that good so I have ditched my plan to swap the run flats with go flats. That swap can wait until my tires wear out.

If you go to tirerack and look at tire prices, you will find that the selection of tires for the 20" wheel is way better and the price per tire is way lower. This research will tell you what you are in for when it comes time to replace tires. Also, the 20" tire choices have higher wear ratings so not only do they last longer, they are cheaper when you do need to replace.

I'm curious, you said you already ordered the car. Isn't it too late to swap wheels/tires?

Tx for the reply.
The dealer at BMW Grapevine said he would trade them for a 21" or 20" whichever I wanted, plus he was gonna give me a credit towards an (Essentials package included): front window tint, Nitrogen air, 3M Door edge and cup protection and Paint protection. Also, include a 3M clear front bumper and partial hood w/rear view mirrors if I go with 20" wheels. I think it appears to be a nice trade off.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 02:29 AM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Tx for the reply.
The dealer at BMW Grapevine said he would trade them for a 21" or 20" whichever I wanted, plus he was gonna give me a credit towards an (Essentials package included): front window tint, Nitrogen air, 3M Door edge and cup protection and Paint protection. Also, include a 3M clear front bumper and partial hood w/rear view mirrors if I go with 20" wheels. I think it appears to be a nice trade off.
Here's my G05 on 20's. I think these are Style 740M and only available with the M-sport package. I've very happy with them. It's actually my wife's car and she is happy with them which is most important
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 03:03 AM   #5
Mongoose777
Rep

Quote:
Here's my G05 on 20's. I think these are Style 740M and only available with the M-sport package. I've very happy with them. It's actually my wife's car and she is happy with them which is most important
Wow!
It looks absolulely stunning!!
I cannot wait for ours, well actually its hers, but still cannot wait to see it. How does it ride with the 20's and why did you pick them? Is it smooth, bumpy or loud since they are run flats. What interior did you go with?
We were wanting Tartufo, but settled for Coffee Merino as it was the only thing available with Tanzanite, it also came with several great packages. One last thing, is the Tanzanite hard to keep clean? Ive read some stories about it being as tough to keep clean as the Carbon Black.

Last edited by Mongoose777; 08-01-2019 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wow!
It looks absolulely stunning!!
I cannot wait for ours, well actually its hers, but still cannot wait to see it. How does it ride with the 20's and why did you pick them? Is it smooth, bumpy or loud since they are run flats. What interior did you go with?
We were wanting Tartufo, but settled for Coffee Merino as it was the only thing available with Tanzanite, it also came with several great packages. One last thing, is the Tanzanite hard to keep clean? Ive read some stories about it being as tough to keep clean as the Carbon Black.
It rides great on the 20's in both comfort and sport mode. I've got adaptive suspension and I love it. The tires are not loud at all.

I went with the Ivory Extended Merino and leather dash. See photo of interior.

I've got Phytonic Blue, not Tanzanite.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cptcolo102.00
      08-01-2019, 03:34 AM   #7
Mongoose777
Rep

Quote:
It rides great on the 20's in both comfort and sport mode. I've got adaptive suspension and I love it. The tires are not loud at all.

I went with the Ivory Extended Merino and leather dash. See photo of interior.

I've got Phytonic Blue, not Tanzanite.
We almost went with the Ivory Merino, but it didn't have the leather dash and not enough extras we were looking for.
It certainly is an elegant color inside.
Those 740's look great.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
orthopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport LCi

I had the 20" 738s that came as stock with my 30d X Line. Was quite happy with everything till a chance visit to the showroom where I saw the 740M and I was hooked.

Got them changed to the 740M and they look great!!

From the ride quality side of things, its great, I usually use Comfort Mode and the car almost glides over all the numerous potholes etc that the Bombay roads are famous for!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by orthopod; 08-01-2019 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: Added pics of the roads!!!
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 04:45 AM   #9
Mongoose777
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
I had the 20" 738s that came as stock with my 30d X Line. Was quite happy with everything till a chance visit to the showroom where I saw the 740M and I was hooked.

Got them changed to the 740M and they look great!!

From the ride quality side of things, its great, I usually use Comfort Mode and the car almost glides over all the numerous potholes etc that the Bombay roads are famous for!!!
Great to hear more positive stories.
Thats some crazy looking roads, where are you??
Thx for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

With mixed weather driving, 20” is the only choice. I drove 1100 miles in one day from sun through rain, sleet, ice, then snow. The issue is also temperature changes. Even if it’s dry out and cold, summer tires skate around the dry pavement. I travel across country and I am not going to worry about a flat tire with road conditions like pot holes and construction zones with a ultra thin sidewall. Not on a luxury SUV. If I leave PA in the winter and go to Miami, snow tires and wheels will look ridiculous and ride horrible south of South Carolina. This is that "mix weather driving" I am talking about. Ride with the 20”ers are perfect with my 50i M-Sport an I love the look. There is no AS options for 22"ers and only one AS tire for the 21"ers.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-01-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11347.00
      08-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

Congrats on the new ride. I have the same setup you just got, except with Tartufo. I've got 1200 miles on the car and couldn't be happier with both the performance and the look of the 22s. I know some people have complained about the stiffer ride of these wheels, but I have no complaints. It's more noticeable I think depending on the roads you're on and the type of asphalt. I also got the 22s expecting that I'd end up paying more from several perspectives (replacing the tires themselves AND getting myself a separate winter wheel/tire setup). I think it really boils down to whether you're ok with incurring the extra expense associated with these big wheels. For what it's worth, I just got compliments on the wheels this morning on the way to work from a security guard.

As for keeping the Tanzanite Blue clean, it will probably be a bit more work with this color. I've already washed the car once. However, I did get the PPF and ceramic on the car. So that has helped tremendously already.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
seoul32.00
Tch-Nrd124.50
cptcolo102.00
      08-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInVa View Post
Congrats on the new ride. I have the same setup you just got, except with Tartufo. I've got 1200 miles on the car and couldn't be happier with both the performance and the look of the 22s. I know some people have complained about the stiffer ride of these wheels, but I have no complaints. It's more noticeable I think depending on the roads you're on and the type of asphalt. I also got the 22s expecting that I'd end up paying more from several perspectives (replacing the tires themselves AND getting myself a separate winter wheel/tire setup). I think it really boils down to whether you're ok with incurring the extra expense associated with these big wheels. For what it's worth, I just got compliments on the wheels this morning on the way to work from a security guard.

As for keeping the Tanzanite Blue clean, it will probably be a bit more work with this color. I've already washed the car once. However, I did get the PPF and ceramic on the car. So that has helped tremendously already.

Enjoy!
The 22s look insane! I believe it is the true look BMW intended for the G05. While the 20s are not bad, they look to me how 19s looked on an F15. Imo wheels are like shoes. Nicer shoes give the car a more complete look. I'd go with at least 21" on the G05. G05 20" = 19" on F15, 21" = 20" and so on

With the 21s you can throw on All Season tires and wont need to have a separate winter set (I'm not 100% if there is currently an A/S set up for the 22")
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2134 View Post
The 22s look insane! I believe it is the true look BMW intended for the G05. While the 20s are not bad, they look to me how 19s looked on an F15. Imo wheels are like shoes. Nicer shoes give the car a more complete look. I'd go with at least 21" on the G05. G05 20" = 19" on F15, 21" = 20" and so on

With the 21s you can throw on All Season tires and wont need to have a separate winter set (I'm not 100% if there is currently an A/S set up for the 22")
Given that you're in NYC, I might be inclined to go with the 21s as well. I have family up there and have driven plenty of the roads around there and into Long Island - Definitely taking a chance with the 22s, but that could be offset with the tire/wheel warranty (which I did get). Right now there aren't many options tire-wise with the 22s, but I would hope that might change in time.

Another observation on the ride - Not surprisingly, the 22s are more noticeable in Sport mode to me, but they are perfectly comfortable and smooth riding in Comfort mode. FYI, this is WITHOUT the air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Quote:

Tx for the reply.
Of course he will trade them!! The 22's cost more
      08-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #15
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

I have driven X5's with 20's and 22's never the 21's. Looks wise the 20's to me don't look very good and look way to small for that size vehicle. 22's look like they belong on the car

Ride I found was actually better on the 22's due to NON runflat performance tires. Turn in felt sharper and the ride quality was great.

Drive in comfort when you want smooth sport or sport plus when you want to have some fun.

I would never chose the 20's over the 22's

Before you ask anyone else opinion take the car for a ride with the 22's already on it. You mentioned grapevine, Dallas area roads are smooth!!
      08-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
orthopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport LCi

Quote:
Great to hear more positive stories.
Thats some crazy looking roads, where are you??
Thx for the feedback.
I'm in Bombay, India......this is the story every single monsoon!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #17
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I have driven X5's with 20's and 22's never the 21's. Looks wise the 20's to me don't look very good and look way to small for that size vehicle. 22's look like they belong on the car

Ride I found was actually better on the 22's due to NON runflat performance tires. Turn in felt sharper and the ride quality was great.

Drive in comfort when you want smooth sport or sport plus when you want to have some fun.

Before you ask anyone else opinion take the car for a ride with the 22's already on it. You mentioned grapevine, Dallas area roads are smooth!!
This ^^^

I'm gonna butt in again and say that the 20"s look small and make the car look incomplete. Also very strong point that you'll be riding on Non-Runflats vs the Runflats on the 20".

In my opinion those who can afford the 22" and go with 20"s are either too lazy or nervous to deal with the added costs/tire swaps that potentially come with getting 22" because there is no doubt that they look way better
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Tx for the reply.
I've got an M sport on order with the 20" and really do like the way they look.

One tip for you - if you're OCD even one little bit, offer to pay the delta to do the entire hood instead of a partial. Discuss this with dealer before any film is laid on the car. The mid-hood line is one of the cheapest looking things, IMO, you could do to any car.

For me personally, I'd prefer no PPF than a mid-hood transition line.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #19
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
We almost went with the Ivory Merino, but it didn't have the leather dash and not enough extras we were looking for.
It certainly is an elegant color inside.
Those 740's look great.
Thanks. We ordered the car so we could build it exactly the way I (my wife) wanted.

I really like the look and ride of the 20's with the 740M wheels. As you read the responses, others disagree. No surprise there.

Drive G05's with 20s, 21s and 22s and decide for yourself.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #20
Mongoose777
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I've got an M sport on order with the 20" and really do like the way they look.

One tip for you - if you're OCD even one little bit, offer to pay the delta to do the entire hood instead of a partial. Discuss this with dealer before any film is laid on the car. The mid-hood line is one of the cheapest looking things, IMO, you could do to any car.

For me personally, I'd prefer no PPF than a mid-hood transition line.
I had the half cover on my 2017 Lexus NX that Im trading as it looks fine, but I agree that if it gets done this time around it will be a full cover. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #21
Mongoose777
Rep

Quote:
Of course he will trade them!! The 22's cost more
If you read my OP it will explain in detail what I would be getting in return. I can see the 22s look great, but what are thoughts for the 21s?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #22
Mongoose777
Rep

Quote:

So, would the 21s be a better all around tire then?
BTW, Dallas roads are not really that good, except for tollroads.
thx
Appreciate 0