BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #45
LAR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I think many are over thinking the ride quality and handling of air suspension but especially the above quote regards to fast lane changes, turns, accident avoidance- which gets a :facepalm:

If air suspension is so bad why did BMW make it standard on 7 Series, X7s or new X5 hybrid?

You can also apply the same criteria for owners with xLine - they're driving around in the standard adaptive suspension. Or drivers with Off-Road package? Should they be concerned with how poor their handling is without Adaptive M Suspension?

Point is BMW has provided drivers with more suspension options in the new G05 than past X5s.
Nice spin, Adam Schiff would be proud of you.

I never said the suspension was bad, never even insinuated it was bad.

I never said it was poor either.

Air suspension is designed to soften the ride, alter the handling, etc. Adaptive M suspension is designed to be very sporty, aggressive stiff responsive suspension. It is very noticeable when you change between Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus. Driving both a 2016 and a 2020 at the M Performance facility on their track, you absolutely can tell a difference between the settings when making very aggressive directional changes, cornering, breaking, etc. I have NO DOUBT that there would be a difference in handling with the air suspension as that is what air suspension was designed to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #46
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR View Post
Quote:
I think many are over thinking the ride quality and handling of air suspension but especially the above quote regards to fast lane changes, turns, accident avoidance- which gets a :facepalm:

If air suspension is so bad why did BMW make it standard on 7 Series, X7s or new X5 hybrid?

You can also apply the same criteria for owners with xLine - they're driving around in the standard adaptive suspension. Or drivers with Off-Road package? Should they be concerned with how poor their handling is without Adaptive M Suspension?

Point is BMW has provided drivers with more suspension options in the new G05 than past X5s.

I never said the suspension was bad, never even insinuated it was bad.

I never said it was poor either.

Air suspension is designed to soften the ride, alter the handling, etc. Adaptive M suspension is designed to be very sporty, aggressive stiff responsive suspension. It is very noticeable when you change between Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus. Driving both a 2016 and a 2020 at the M Performance facility on their track, you absolutely can tell a difference between the settings when making very aggressive directional changes, cornering, breaking, etc. I have NO DOUBT that there would be a difference in handling with the air suspension as that is what air suspension was designed to do.
No need to drag partisan politics into an informative discussion on suspension. But if you insist, thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Lowering the vehicle would be nice and I wish that was an option but I would not want the basic Comfort mode to be any softer than it is with the Adaptive M suspension. I would also be concerned how the air suspension would effect hard and fast land changes, turns, accident avoidance, etc. If I wanted that type of ride and handling, I would not have bought a BMW.
From your quote, you're concerned with the performance of the air suspension. Usually when someone expresses "concern" - their either anxious or worried. My reply was trying to understand and alleviate your concerns you expressed and for any future X5 owners.

In trying to understand your concerns, I reflected on extensive test drives of all 5 X5 suspension options (base, M Adaptive, Air, DHP, Off-road) including the X7 (base - which is air and DHP) in various traffic conditions and on the track. All off them handled very well for BMW. Never once had any concerns with X5 handling capabilities with any suspension option.

Thanks for clarifying your not concerns.

Actually, air suspension is designed to provide a constant vehicle position while soaking up road imperfections, balance vehicle load weight, and adjust vehicle height to traverse different terrains or loading convenience. The comfortable ride is an inherent aspect of air suspension and EDC setting.

You're giving up a little bit of handling for the above but that's why there's a suspension option for most of everyone's needs.

Other X5 2VR owners have expressed their pro's and con's and it's valuable input for future 2VR or M Adaptive owners.

Appreciate 4
AEC118.50
      11-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #47
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Really no need for this.
Appreciate 3
      06-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #48
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
So.... all this talk about Air Suspension vs Steel Springs has me a bit worried.

I ordered the X5 M50d "undriven". I've only sat in a X5 30i in the showroom. It was literally the only X5 they had in stock when I placed my order.

That said, I spent 3 weeks in a 2020 750i over winter, and loved the ride. That comes standard with the Air Suspension, and shares the X5's CLAR platform. Rolling the dice!

I'm getting this car to eat up Autobahn miles and cruise around town. No track days for me in this thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #49
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Not sure if this has been said...... but I purchased air suspension on my M50i, because the roads where Inlive are worse than any of the 30+ countries and 45 states I've been to.

But.... I rarely ever test the "limits" of it's handling. It's an SUV. It's not ever going to handle like a sportscar, no matter what you do to it..... ever. My theory.... was "why try?". I'll take the comfortable ride.

Oh.... and an added bonus that I never thought about? Is the ability to lower the car for a more aggressive appearance. Sounds silly, but I use it EVERY SINGLE TIME I turn the car off. It's become part of my shut-down routine, and I don't even think about it.

And.... another added bonus..... is that if you want to go even lower than that.... all you need is a set of $125 drop links.... that can be easily installed by removing only the wheels. No removal of springs, struts, etc is required.

For me..... the air suspension is an absolute no-brainer. Absolutely get it.
Appreciate 3
X5 45e1077.00
      06-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #50
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Not sure if this has been said...... but I purchased air suspension on my M50i, because the roads where Inlive are worse than any of the 30+ countries and 45 states I've been to.

But.... I rarely ever test the "limits" of it's handling. It's an SUV. It's not ever going to handle like a sportscar, no matter what you do to it..... ever. My theory.... was "why try?". I'll take the comfortable ride.

Oh.... and an added bonus that I never thought about? Is the ability to lower the car for a more aggressive appearance. Sounds silly, but I use it EVERY SINGLE TIME I turn the car off. It's become part of my shut-down routine, and I don't even think about it.

And.... another added bonus..... is that if you want to go even lower than that.... all you need is a set of $125 drop links.... that can be easily installed by removing only the wheels. No removal of springs, struts, etc is required.

For me..... the air suspension is an absolute no-brainer. Absolutely get it.
That's true. Our roads are horrible. That's why I am so happy with the air suspension. I didn't dare to take the 22 inch like you did. I really hate the shocks of the tires on the connection between concrete plates on B roads over here.

Ps I hope you haven't lived in the Middle East or Africa because that would really make our roads the worst in the world.

And like you mention too I drive an suv for the comfort which is great. If you want a good handeling car better buy something else.

So choosing air suspension or not is very personal. What is floaty for one might be comfortable for another. And I know that sport suspension with 22 inch wheels would drive me crazy but for someone else it would by fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #51
AlexM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 M50d

You need to test drive it, noone can tell you how you it will feel to you. It's very particular sensation to which we react differently. I tested x6 with Air and immediately changed to DHP. After 30min i felt like i just came down from a boat with a weird feeling in my stomack. On Highway, little cross wind and the car floats, i felt like the steering wheel has it's on mind

X6 M50d Tanzanite Blue
F36 440i GC/retired; F30 328i/retired; E92 335i/retired
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #52
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

How you use your SUV is really the determining factor. There is no bad choice but what personality you want from your luxury SUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 02:30 AM   #53
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

22s on air.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:48 AM   #54
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
I love my M50d with Air. Comfortable and Sporty at the touch of a button
But, as others have pointed out - it is matter of preference and your driving style
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      06-09-2020, 05:56 AM   #55
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Update to all....I went with the air suspension and after 6 months of enjoying my X5, I can safely say it was the right decision. Perfect balance of ride, comfort, and handling. Really pleased with the air suspension.
Attached Images

06-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #56
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Update to all....I went with the air suspension and after 6 months of enjoying my X5, I can safely say it was the right decision. Perfect balance of ride, comfort, and handling. Really pleased with the air suspension.
Which level do you find you like to have it at the most? and why?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #57
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
I always drive in Sport individual (position 2). It's lower than the comfort mode setting (position 3) and sport gives me just the ride I would expect from a BMW SUV. Not floaty at all, just a nicely balanced ride with minimal pitch and squat from acceleration and braking. Comfort is a little too soft for my liking, but I can see how comfort can come handy when driving on non compliant roads or long hauls. I have the 22 inch wheels, and combined with the air suspension in setting 2, it's my ideal set up for this type of vehicle.
      06-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #58
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have the air suspension as well WITH the integrated active steering and came from an F15 with DHP. While there is a bit more body roll, my G05 with the active steering handles better than my previous DHP system that I have sworn by for years. In my experience, this combination outperforms and is much more comfortable than the adaptive M suspension. I cannot speak to the handling dynamics of the air suspension without active steering.

For whatever reason, you will not be able to get this combination after MY2020 so if you care about handling and driving dynamics, get this combination while you still can.
      06-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #59
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
That's true. Our roads are horrible. That's why I am so happy with the air suspension. I didn't dare to take the 22 inch like you did. I really hate the shocks of the tires on the connection between concrete plates on B roads over here.

Ps I hope you haven't lived in the Middle East or Africa because that would really make our roads the worst in the world.
I have not. However, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Central and South America, including 3rd world mountainous roads in Peru. I've also driven across Korea (when it was still 3rd world), and poverty-stricken Southeast Asia, all over Eastern Europe, and literally every major city in the US...... And yes, Belgium has the worst roads I've ever experienced, worldwide. Barring somewhere "war-torn" and "bombed"..... I can't think of anywhere worse.

Admittedly, I live in the Southern tip of Wallonia..... which is the worst in the whole country. Up North it's much nicer.

Even still.... I am still buying 22s as my Summer wheels (21s on the car now). I would have opted for 20s, but my dealer reminded me that 20s would have reduced my top speed down to 130mph. That's why I went with 21s.

I won't be in Belgium long though. Maybe another year.... tops.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      06-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #60
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

I have not. However, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Central and South America, including 3rd world mountainous roads in Peru. I've also driven across Korea (when it was still 3rd world), and poverty-stricken Southeast Asia, all over Eastern Europe, and literally every major city in the US...... And yes, Belgium has the worst roads I've ever experienced, worldwide. Barring somewhere "war-torn" and "bombed"..... I can't think of anywhere worse.

Admittedly, I live in the Southern tip of Wallonia..... which is the worst in the whole country. Up North it's much nicer.

Even still.... I am still buying 22s as my Summer wheels (21s on the car now). I would have opted for 20s, but my dealer reminded me that 20s would have reduced my top speed down to 130mph. That's why I went with 21s.

I won't be in Belgium long though. Maybe another year.... tops.
We can be proud . We're best at having bad roads. I live in the north btw.

Do you mean 130 mph on winters or on summers?

I have 19 inch winters and 20 inch summers and I was not aware of a reduced maximal speed.

I don't think I would go faster than 130 in Germany anyway. I tend to stick around 100 - 110 mph max. Fuel consumption is going up and the time you win by driving faster is lost with the extra fuel stop. Fun factor is something else.

Edit my 19 inch have speed index H = 210 km/h, the 20 inch have V = 240 km/h
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #61
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I always drive in Sport individual (position 2). It's lower than the comfort mode setting (position 3) and sport gives me just the ride I would expect from a BMW SUV. Not floaty at all, just a nicely balanced ride with minimal pitch and squat from acceleration and braking. Comfort is a little too soft for my liking, but I can see how comfort can come handy when driving on non compliant roads or long hauls. I have the 22 inch wheels, and combined with the air suspension in setting 2, it's my ideal set up for this type of vehicle.
Can you ride in position 2 in comfort mode or switching to position 2 manual will put the car in sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #62
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osheatwo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can you ride in position 2 in comfort mode or switching to position 2 manual will put the car in sport mode?
Yes, you can drive with air suspension in Sport level in with any of the Driving Dynamics modes - COMFORT, ADAPTIVE or SPORT.

No, adjusting the air suspension to Sport level does not switch the Driving Dynamics mode to Sport.

Personally I drive 96% of the time in ADAPTIVE mode and manually adjust air suspension to Sport level.

Driving Dynamics modes affect various vehicle characteristics and settings.

Pressing SPORT Driving Dynamics mode on the console changes the following driving dynamic settings from COMFORT to SPORT:

Damping
SPORT, lowers the air suspension to SPORT level and electronic damping control to sport

Steering
SPORT, heavier steering

Engine
SPORT, throttle response

Transmission
SPORT, hold gears longer in conjunction with engine

The following systems are also adjusted:
- Integral Active Steering (if optioned)
- Display in instrument cluster
- Cruise control

You can configure the above settings via iDrive under Configure SPORT INDIVIDUAL:

CAR > Settings > Driving Mode > SPORT INDIVIDUAL > configure your personal settings

Appreciate 1
Osheatwo203.50
      08-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #63
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you can drive with air suspension in Sport level in with any of the Driving Dynamics modes - COMFORT, ADAPTIVE or SPORT.

No, adjusting the air suspension to Sport level does not switch the Driving Dynamics mode to Sport.

Personally I drive 96% of the time in ADAPTIVE mode and manually adjust air suspension to Sport level.

Driving Dynamics modes affect various vehicle characteristics and settings.

Pressing SPORT Driving Dynamics mode on the console changes the following driving dynamic settings from COMFORT to SPORT:

Damping
SPORT, lowers the air suspension to SPORT level and electronic damping control to sport

Steering
SPORT, heavier steering

Engine
SPORT, throttle response

Transmission
SPORT, hold gears longer in conjunction with engine

The following systems are also adjusted:
- Integral Active Steering (if optioned)
- Display in instrument cluster
- Cruise control

You can configure the above settings via iDrive under Configure SPORT INDIVIDUAL:

CAR > Settings > Driving Mode > SPORT INDIVIDUAL > configure your personal settings
Thanks for the explanation. I ordered my wife 2021 M50i last week and spec with AS but thinking about switching to DHP because of the floating and handling comment. Struggling to decide because concern about how much does AS may change the characteristic of why we got the M50i to point it where you lose the handling benefits in getting a M50i. Since car is not due to enter production till next, still have time to make the change.

Noticed with MY2021, IAS with AS is only available on M50i so hoping that helps maintain some of the handling and reduce the floating
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:17 AM   #64
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I ordered my wife 2021 M50i last week and spec with AS but thinking about switching to DHP because of the floating and handling comment. Struggling to decide because concern about how much does AS may change the characteristic of why we got the M50i to point it where you lose the handling benefits in getting a M50i. Since car is not due to enter production till next, still have time to make the change.

Noticed with MY2021, IAS with AS is only available on M50i so hoping that helps maintain some of the handling and reduce the floating
Most X5 owners with air suspension counter the self leveling sensation by driving in Sport mode or other Driving Dynamics mode + air suspension in Sport level.

IAS won't have any affect on the ride quality and its features are for high speed lane changing stability and and low speed maneuverability with turning radius assistance.

One of the primary benefits with DHP is Adaptive M Pro and active roll stabilization in reducing lean - given that this is a SAV.

If you're seeking the best handling M50i, go DHP.

Otherwise I'd recommend an extended drive in a G05 with air suspension just to make sure it suits your needs - definitely test drive air in Sport level.

Appreciate 1
Osheatwo203.50
      08-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #65
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Most X5 owners with air suspension counter the float by driving in Sport mode or other Driving Dynamics mode + air suspension in Sport level.

IAS won't have any affect on the ride quality and its features are for high speed stability, lane changing and and low speed maneuverability with turning radius assistance.

One of the primary benefits with DHP is Adaptive M Pro and active roll stabilization in reducing lean - given that this is a SAV.

If you're seeking the best handling M50i, go DHP.

Otherwise I'd recommend an extended drive in a G05 with air suspension just to make sure it suits your needs - definitely test drive air in Sport level.
Thanks, Great explanation.

With the limited stock there's not any M50 available to drive with AS so would have to drive a 40i but they do have a M50 with DHP, so may drive it to see if it will be to harsh of ride for wife.

Appreciate the responses

Update:
Test drove the M50i today DHP and changed our build from air suspension to DHP. Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #66
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Air suspension!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0