x5legend24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieg View Post
Have you been able to resolve the noise on your X5? I have a 2020 X5 with 22 inch Conti's as well and I have the same exact noise. I took delivery of the vehicle March 7th as it was a special order. I had the car 1 day when I noticed the same exact noise. I took it back to the dealer the very next day. THe shop foreman rode with me as well and could here the noise. The loaner I was driving while I waited for my X5 had 20 inch wheels and it rode much more quite. My local dealer is telling me that is normal road noise. I dont know if my ears are just sensitive or if there is a problem. I have owned every generation X5 with the largest wheel/tire combo offered and this is a first for me. It is drivng me INSANE.
Yes... check for the dampeners on the wishbone suspension arms under the car. See pics from previous posts. Many 22" rims delivered without that part. Made me INSANE too until dealer installed them. Now the sound is acceptable, but I would NOT buy this vehicle again with this config. Yes, the 20" rims are much quieter, but dont look as good.
Did the dealer install for free since they didn't come for the car or did you have to pay?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #200
palmerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X540i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5legend24 View Post
Did the dealer install for free since they didn't come for the car or did you have to pay?
FREE!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #201
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Got my car today with 22" rims and conti's and installed dampers. Noise is Ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #202
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Car delivered last week, July build, has the dampers, and rides beautifully/quietly.

M50i w/ DHP, 21" Pirelli RF's (not sure if it matters, but I have acoustic glass as well).

I know the mystery has been solved, but my passenger side damper still has a sticker on it, facing the ground (see pic.).

BTW, congrats Heavyd!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #203
palmerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X540i M-Sport

BMW Acknowledgment

Missing dampeners on lower controls arms acknowledgment and recommendation to fix. This is from a friend, who I pointed out had the dampeners missing and went to BMW to fix.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #204
willieg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Vibration Dampner

Update: Mine didn't have the dampners so I ordered and installed them myself and the noise 90% gone. I'm satisfied and now I can love my car again.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      08-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #205
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Got a nail in my tire near the sidewall so am ordering a replacement through tire rack. They ordered directly from continental a replacement for the conti premiumcontact 6 in 275/35/22. They indicated that it would have the foam noise dampening system in the tire.

Does anyone know of the oem conti tires with build date of 2/2020 have this foam as well? Would it create issues to have one tire with foam and the other without? I'd imagine it would. If anyone knows, would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #206
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Got a nail in my tire near the sidewall so am ordering a replacement through tire rack. They ordered directly from continental a replacement for the conti premiumcontact 6 in 275/35/22. They indicated that it would have the foam noise dampening system in the tire.

Does anyone know of the oem conti tires with build date of 2/2020 have this foam as well? Would it create issues to have one tire with foam and the other without? I'd imagine it would. If anyone knows, would be appreciated!
How many miles are on your tires? May want to swap at least 2 if you have some miles on them. You don't want uneven wear on the tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #207
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:

How many miles are on your tires? May want to swap at least 2 if you have some miles on them. You don't want uneven wear on the tires.
2700, mostly highway. Any concerns with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #208
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

If someone were to add 22s after market do they need to install new dampers? Or are/should they be part of the vehicle regardless of the wheels you get on the build?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #209
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
If someone were to add 22s after market do they need to install new dampers? Or are/should they be part of the vehicle regardless of the wheels you get on the build?
Should be part of the vehicle regardless of wheel size optioned on your build.

Here's link to my previous post - part number is the same:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26444629
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #210
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Check out NHTSA recall 20T018 on a Continental tire issue. It may or may not apply.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:49 AM   #211
richierich1611
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
I picked up my new X5 xdrive 40i from the performance center last week, and it was a treat.

All in all, the car is fantastic and I'm happy with the color and options we chose, including the ride on the air suspension on the stock 22" wheels. There is one issue though. Something doesn't seem right with the road noise which appears to be coming from the front suspension. It's hard to describe, but what I'm referring to is the sound the suspension makes as it moves over the constant microbumps that are on pretty much every road except the very smooth ones. It's louder the faster I go, and especially loud on the highway. With every small bumps on the road, it sounds as if someone is playing a hollow drum with their hands. On the highway it's pretty much constant. I know it's not the tire noise b/c I can hear it distinctly as bumps are more frequent. I can hear it as low as 20mph but it's really loud going over 70+. On a smooth road, I don't really hear anything.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It doesn't seem normal unless there's some sort of break in period to the air suspension. No other car (not even my 1M or my wife's old Honda CR-V) is this loud over any bumps. And since the sound is apparently driving on any road but the smoothest, it's hard not to pay attention to it.

Here's a video (note, the sound I'm describing is more evident when playing the video through my cell phone speakers versus laptop speakers for some reason):

I am having the same problem with mine. Noise is to an unbearable level. Mine is booked in tomorrow with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #212
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Check out NHTSA recall 20T018 on a Continental tire issue. It may or may not apply.
Doesn’t apply to 22” tires.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0T018-0311.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #213
richierich1611
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
I have the tires on which is the problem. I'm sharing this because people seem to believe it's these missing dampeners which have no effect on tire noise.
agreed. I have the dampeners and the contis AMD I still have the noise
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #214
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

I posted this in another thread about noise yesterday. It may belong here under tire noise:

I picked up my 2021 X5 M50i last week. 22in Black rims w Conti tires. I immediately noticed a harmonic hum (like blowing over a half full Coke bottle) between 60-70 MPH.

Suspecting tire noise, I focussed on the thread here about 22in tire noise. It was very revealing. As a 2021, my car has the noted additional device on the A arm that the 2020's didn't all have.

I lowered the pressure about 2lbs below stock and found it reduced the noise/vibration quite a bit. I also made an appt for today at my dealer who is very good with taking care of me.

I took a tech out in my car and he agreed that there is a noise in the 65-70 range in a very short test drive.

Then, my dealer let me take his demo X5 (same motor and tires but different 22in wheels). Same EXACT noise as my car.

When I returned, he let me take a BRAND NEW (11 miles) X5 M50i with 22in Pirellis and it had the noise at lower speeds before I even got to the highway. I turned around before even trying it on the highway. (These tires had higher than spec PSI)

Additional info - my wife has a 2020 X5 4.0 w 19" Bridgestones. Also w acoustic glass. Totally silent and buzz-free at all speeds.

I am still leaning toward some sort of harmonic vibration probably caused by the 22in tires. But the fact that it happens with 2 diff tires is not encouraging. I suggest to try lowering PSI even more.

I suppose the next step is to try 19 or 20 in tires to see if that solves the problem.

The other issue is that I suspect that 90% of drivers (like the owner of my dealership) don't even notice this!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #215
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Is it safe to say that more road noise is expected with a 22" wheel vs a 20" wheel? It almost seems like common knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #216
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
Is it safe to say that more road noise is expected with a 22" wheel vs a 20" wheel? It almost seems like common knowledge.
Ja that and tire width, tire pattern, all seasons versus high performance, and tire manufacturer.

One could argue that in this day and tire, tire technology that they could produce a high performance summer tire with minimal harmonics.

BMW has always made owners compromise between looks (assuming that owners these days select big 22" wheels and tires for the ultimate driving performance) and daily driving comfort (19-20" wheels and all season tires).

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #217
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

2021 40i, 22” pirelli’s, adaptive M suspension, dampeners present.

Loud humming noise was initially very apparent and annoying. Tires were over inflated from factory. Lowered to stock and only a slight improvement. Currently 1 psi below stock and the sound is still there and can be heard even with radio.

I guess it is what it is. Been driving it a few weeks now and I’m trying to get used to it. The sound is not fitting for a luxury suv at this price point. It is the only knock on an otherwise great car. Will try to let out a little more air and turn up the volume more.

Seems like there is not much else we can do short of going smaller in wheels.
2011 X5 50i Sport Activity
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #218
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Sounds like tire harmonics to me and not air suspension. When wide or low profile tires or highly inflated tires at speed roll over multiple road imperfections. But since you've ruled out tire pressure, not sure what it is but I'm the type to refrain from conjecture until diagnosed.

My air suspension is quiet on the road and running run flats.
I am pretty sure you are right. I had 22-inch rims on my Cayenne S (was a $6K option, so I just stuck with it until we sold it in Dec last year) and used to have road noise issues when I replaced the original tires (in fact very similar to what you posted here). The issue never fully went away and wasn't suspension-related. I guess lower profile and wide tires on a heavy vehicle can be challenging. My advice would be to switch out the tires and see what happens (since rotating them isn't an option). Hopefully, your alignment is fine.

Last edited by FCX5; 03-21-2021 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #219
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoromar View Post

Loud humming noise was initially very apparent and annoying. Tires were over inflated from factory. Lowered to stock and only a slight improvement. Currently 1 psi below stock and the sound is still there and can be heard even with radio.

I guess it is what it is. Been driving it a few weeks now and I’m trying to get used to it. The sound is not fitting for a luxury suv at this price point. It is the only knock on an otherwise great car. Will try to let out a little more air and turn up the volume more.

One reason, I am thinking of sticking with my 19 inches set up beyond winter. I have just gotten used to the quieter and smoother ride. Initially, the aesthetics from 21 to 19 inches (for me) was a little jarring, but now I am used to it. I have the DHP + M Sport package with Adaptive M suspension on mine. So even with all that, there is a difference in ride quality with smaller rims - probably why luxury sedans tend to have higher side-walls.

But, I also understand that aesthetics is a major reason people buy BMW, and compromising there would not make sense since you're taking away a key differentiator of the platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #220
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by senoromar View Post

One reason, I am thinking of sticking with my 19 inches set up beyond winter. I have just gotten used to the quieter and smoother ride. Initially, the aesthetics from 21 to 19 inches (for me) was a little jarring, but now I am used to it. I have the DHP + M Sport package with Adaptive M suspension on mine. So even with all that, there is a difference in ride quality with smaller rims - probably why luxury sedans tend to have higher side-walls.

But, I also understand that aesthetics is a major reason people buy BMW, and compromising there would not make sense since you're taking away a key differentiator of the platform.
by the way..... tire width = rubber surface touching the road is the same on M wheels size 20 to 22...... therefore I am not sure how this could make a difference in noise
Appreciate 0