BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-30-2020, 01:09 AM   #67
raindropm4
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

been 2 months since I ordered my kw Coilover suspension and still haven't shipped out yet waaahhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #68
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Will these fit the 40i or are they exclusive to the 50i V8 variants?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #69
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Sorry folks..... just now read this whole thread and chiming in. I do plan on lowering my car when my wheels arrive..... but I have air suspension. ABM drop links are already purchased, sitting in my garage. No springs for me.

I have to be honest..... I've installed suspensions on between 15-20 vehicles. 1.6 to 1.8 inches is a BIG drop. The car is going to appear slammed, and likely ride very rough, and probably cut the life of the OEM struts significantly.

H&R makes great, high quality stuff.... that just seems like a huge drop to put on stock struts. That's like "fender flare cracking" low for those with wide wheels.... or "bump stop crushing" low for those with stock wheels.

I'm only planning on dropping mine with the links about 1 inch... maybe 1.2. I'll have to see what looks right with the new wheels before making that determination. I would definitely not go 1.8 lower.

Are you 100% sure H&R is saying 1.8? I mean.... this is my first SUV build... maybe I'm completely wrong, and 1.8 isn't so bad?? 1.8 on a car would definitely destroy the struts.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #70
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Sorry folks..... just now read this whole thread and chiming in. I do plan on lowering my car when my wheels arrive..... but I have air suspension. ABM drop links are already purchased, sitting in my garage. No springs for me.

I have to be honest..... I've installed suspensions on between 15-20 vehicles. 1.6 to 1.8 inches is a BIG drop. The car is going to appear slammed, and likely ride very rough, and probably cut the life of the OEM struts significantly.

H&R makes great, high quality stuff.... that just seems like a huge drop to put on stock struts. That's like "fender flare cracking" low for those with wide wheels.... or "bump stop crushing" low for those with stock wheels.

I'm only planning on dropping mine with the links about 1 inch... maybe 1.2. I'll have to see what looks right with the new wheels before making that determination. I would definitely not go 1.8 lower.

Are you 100% sure H&R is saying 1.8? I mean.... this is my first SUV build... maybe I'm completely wrong, and 1.8 isn't so bad?? 1.8 on a car would definitely destroy the struts.
I think you missed my post. 1.4” is for non-msport 50i and 1” for m-sport 50i and M50i. That is not going to affect the life of the struts that much. It is also the drop Eibach/ACS is doing. Now the decision will be which rides more to your taste.

Honestly, I would have preferred the 1.4” but that is simply not going to be available for M50i.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #71
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindropm4 View Post
been 2 months since I ordered my kw Coilover suspension and still haven't shipped out yet waaahhhhhhhhh
Going on week 6 here...was told about 2 months total. Hoping you get yours shipped soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:42 PM   #72
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

For anyone interested - I had my Eibach springs delivered from Germany to Australia in about 4 days recently! Will post pics once installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #73
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
I think you missed my post. 1.4” is for non-msport 50i and 1” for m-sport 50i and M50i. That is not going to affect the life of the struts that much. It is also the drop Eibach/ACS is doing. Now the decision will be which rides more to your taste.

Honestly, I would have preferred the 1.4” but that is simply not going to be available for M50i.
Ahhhh.... ok. Yea, that sounds much more reasonable. I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that someone bought a set of coilovers? If you're gonna go down 1.4, that's the way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #74
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahhhh.... ok. Yea, that sounds much more reasonable. I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that someone bought a set of coilovers? If you're gonna go down 1.4, that's the way to do it.
I just hate KW. They are garbage and clunk/rattle every single time I used them. I guess you get what you pay for. On this platform, I think springs will be more than enough with the adjustable shocks already in place.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #75
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just hate KW. They are garbage and clunk/rattle every single time I used them. I guess you get what you pay for. On this platform, I think springs will be more than enough with the adjustable shocks already in place.
I've actually never used KWs. I've "read" that they were decent though. I had a set of Teins once..... which were worse than garbage. I ended up replacing them with a full-blown race setup for my STI from a Japanese company called "Buddy Club". Not sure they even exist anymore, but I was running 10k and 12k spring rates on those things..... and they were solid as a rock. I loved those coilovers.

Unbearable for daily driving.... but on the track.... they did theit job well.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #76
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've actually never used KWs. I've "read" that they were decent though. I had a set of Teins once..... which were worse than garbage. I ended up replacing them with a full-blown race setup for my STI from a Japanese company called "Buddy Club". Not sure they even exist anymore, but I was running 10k and 12k spring rates on those things..... and they were solid as a rock. I loved those coilovers.

Unbearable for daily driving.... but on the track.... they did theit job well.
I spoke with MSS and they are hoping for a Summer or Fall release for their springs. Their test mule arrives in July. I am debating on waiting to see what they offer. Their reputation is solid in the BMW community. To me, it seems like it is H&R or MSS. I just don’t think paying $1400 for rebranded Eibachs is in play for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #77
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I spoke with MSS and they are hoping for a Summer or Fall release for their springs. Their test mule arrives in July. I am debating on waiting to see what they offer. Their reputation is solid in the BMW community. To me, it seems like it is H&R or MSS. I just don’t think paying $1400 for rebranded Eibachs is in play for me.
You guys are funny about the rebranded Eibach springs. Eibach doesn’t have any designs right now. Perhaps they have a manufacturing facility for coil springs because it’s a big part of their business. I wouldn’t consider another company designing springs and have an Eibach facility manufacturing them equal rebranded Eibach springs. That’s like saying because the BMW X models are made in the USA they are American cars. A German company created the designs and hired an American workforce to make their cars.

If you are still unsure you can check the product materials and licenses for ACS. All the Road testing was on the Nurburgring and licensing though German legal regulations.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #78
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
You guys are funny about the rebranded Eibach springs. Eibach doesn’t have any designs right now. Perhaps they have a manufacturing facility for coil springs because it’s a big part of their business. I wouldn’t consider another company designing springs and have an Eibach facility manufacturing them equal rebranded Eibach springs. That’s like saying because the BMW X models are made in the USA they are American cars. A German company created the designs and hired an American workforce to make their cars.

If you are still unsure you can check the product materials and licenses for ACS. All the Road testing was on the Nurburgring and licensing though German legal regulations.
Honestly, only you need to be happy with your purchase. Not me or anyone else.

For me, no spring will ever be worth $1,400. It isn’t about ACS or Eibach or anyone. A disclaimer that they tested them on the Nurburgring doesn’t justify the cost to me. If I am getting into the $1,500 range, then I would just throw coils at it knowing the spring rate and damper are matched. Yes the cost is higher than $1,500, but I could justify that more.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #79
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

It definitely seemed even to me that the $1395 was really high for springs but at the time no one else had them available. At least that price includes tax and shipping from Germany to the USA. At the end of the day we will all probably pay more for what we really want so I definitely recommend doing research to see which springs will make you happy.

I am very happy with my ACS springs so far. I had mentioned before if I could have an extra 1/2 inch that would be perfect. However a 1 inch drop is much better than a 2 inch drop for me. Looks more sporty but also still remains classy and not like it should be in low rider magazine.
Appreciate 1
Bandit-X111.50
      07-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #80
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit-X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
Just spoke with Will from MSS Suspension
It would appear that due to the delays associated with Covid 19, MSS won't have something for us with adaptive M suspension until the fall (mid September-ish). Still waiting to hear back from H&R
Lowering my car next week at a BMW dealer electronically. Plug in and done in 30min. Did the same with my 750ixdrive
Thats cool the dealers did that.
How much lower is it do you know, pictures if possible
Appreciate 1
Bandit-X111.50
      07-05-2020, 11:48 PM   #81
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftpohyeah View Post
What type of X5 do you have and do you have the adaptive M suspension?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #82
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted920 View Post
Quote:
What type of X5 do you have and do you have the adaptive M suspension?
I have the 40i with air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:37 AM   #83
Bandit-X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i G05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit-X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
Just spoke with Will from MSS Suspension
It would appear that due to the delays associated with Covid 19, MSS won't have something for us with adaptive M suspension until the fall (mid September-ish). Still waiting to hear back from H&R
Lowering my car next week at a BMW dealer electronically. Plug in and done in 30min. Did the same with my 750ixdrive
Actually I've been fooled. After checking myself I saw that I will need springs. Been misinformed and now haven't lowered the car yet. I am also still looking for a front lip and exhaust. I would love to do all the mods at the same time and not one by one
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #84
G050i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 50i w/ M-Sport

Really novice question here but are lowering links for air suspension and wheel spacers easily a DIY project? I live in NYC and I only have time to do stuff on my car when I visit the in laws in NJ and although my father in law has decent amount of tools, is there anything else I would need to get those things installed myself? If it's relatively "easy" I rather just do it myself but don't want to compromise anything if more seasoned owners on here tell me it's not advisable.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #85
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G050i View Post
Really novice question here but are lowering links for air suspension and wheel spacers easily a DIY project? I live in NYC and I only have time to do stuff on my car when I visit the in laws in NJ and although my father in law has decent amount of tools, is there anything else I would need to get those things installed myself? If it's relatively "easy" I rather just do it myself but don't want to compromise anything if more seasoned owners on here tell me it's not advisable.

Thanks
Both are DYI if you have the proper tools. If your looking for links and spacers r33_RGSport sell them and includes instructions.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      07-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #86
G050i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 50i w/ M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtz1wickedest View Post
Both are DYI if you have the proper tools. If your looking for links and spacers r33_RGSport sell them and includes instructions.
Thanks. I'll purchase from their website.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      07-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #87
raindropm4
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

KW suspension finally came in!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #88
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindropm4 View Post
KW suspension finally came in!
Looks great! maybe some more pics with better lighting? Love to see a side shot.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00