08-13-2020, 01:06 AM   #23
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

105 km range after charging.

I just came home after holidays.

I was able to charge 100% in the south of France last weekend, no other possibilities to charge after that. We stayed in the alps for 5 days. Lots of up and down hill driving. Total of 163 km all electric on a single charge. The mean electric consumption is very low. Probably because large parts were down hill.

Driving down hill in adaptive mode was nice. With recharging it maintained a speed around 50 km/h without cruise controle which was comfortable for the downhill drive. No need to brake or use engine braking, just before the corners and sometimes when it descend was increasing.

In my experience the mean fuel consumption is always around 10 l/ 100 km if charging is not possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:13 AM   #24
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M Sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Very nice!!
This car just impresses me more and more. BMW have done a great job with the EV side.

I'm excited for the future and an all electric X5!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:29 AM   #25
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post
Very nice!!
This car just impresses me more and more. BMW have done a great job with the EV side.

I'm excited for the future and an all electric X5!
I think the mean electric consumption for electric only is between 32 and 33 Kwh / 100 km in the summer on flat terrain.

Just like the mean fuel consumption is around 10 l / 100 km without charging the battery.

All other reported values are because of some changes in driving pattern.

The reported range after charging is never correct and depends on the trip before switching off the engine.

In my case, driving downhill for 20 km switched off the ICE so it was full electric for the board computer and electric consumption was negative because it was charging. I got around 25% charge in those 20 km. So the if you really do long and steep downhill roads you will actually gain quite a bit of charge. I did 2 if these descents and some shorter ones.

For this trip I think I had 50 km from the first charge. 70-80 km driving down hill and the rest extra charging of the battery by driving downhill.

I have also observed that on the highway it charges better going downhill than my f15 40e. That one actually didn't. When driving the 45e in cruise controle and long parts downhill I saw the meter going into charging quite a lot.
Appreciate 1
Sirksael102.50
      08-13-2020, 03:25 AM   #26
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Keep in mind that the battery also charges by recuperating energy (either on downhill roads or when braking) - and that this "free" energy does not appear in your "kWh charged" counter.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 04:05 AM   #27
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Keep in mind that the battery also charges by recuperating energy (either on downhill roads or when braking) - and that this "free" energy does not appear in your "kWh charged" counter.
That is literally what I am writing: I got 25% extra battery charge after driving 20 km down hill.

And "For this trip I think I had 50 km from the first charge. 70-80 km driving down hill and the rest extra charging of the battery by driving downhill"

The energy recuperated from braking is minimal. Driving downhill for long time gives a significant battery charge.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      08-13-2020, 05:29 AM   #28
kebiN
Private
Rep

In my opinion the estimated autonomy is not relevant, because it is never met, just a calculation.
In my experience, it is difficult to go over 65-70km.
I have done once 78km with 23.8kWh/100km, but it had a lot of flat 50-80km/h parts and was also very boring. Also now in the summer in Portugal, a/c is always on so autonomy gets reduced by 10km. I usually manage to get between 30 to 40 kwh/100km: 50-55 km autonomy but with a pleasant driving style and ac always on.
I still dont quite understand completely the diference between driving modes: hybrid, eco-pro or adaptative, they all are supposed better entering the destination in idrive, so I dont quite get the differences. I get that eco pro softens the right foot as it is always more smooth in electric or ICE. But for instance it is very difficult to feel diferences in adaptative mode, also never saw change in suspension height. Also the regenerative braking is very different: in eco pro sometimes is more intense than other modes, sometimes regenerative braking is zero.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-13-2020, 05:55 AM   #29
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebiN View Post
In my opinion the estimated autonomy is not relevant, because it is never met, just a calculation.
Yes off course it is. You are correct. I just thought it was funny seeing this high value.

The range you report is what most of us get.

My highest was 83 km in eco pro driving like an old sock on 50-70 kom/h roads.

Adaptive is supposed to adapt the suspension steering and gas response to the driving conditions and your driving style. Hybrid and eco pro are not.

Eco pro gives you the possibility to use eco airconditioning but hat is irrelevant now because it is much to hot. Eco lights and seat heating is also possible to program. I haven't used that. I prefer adaptive mode because I like the automatic consistent regenerative braking. I don't really like the free ride like you mention in eco pro.

I think all three of them should adapt battery charge to possible city driving? Or maybe only adaptive and eco pro? So if your battery is empty and you have set navigation to the centre of Paris and you have 20 km driving in town it should start charging the battery on your way there. Switching to electric only with geofencing when you are within city limits is not specific to driving mode I think.

My preferred mode for highway is adaptive and I lower the suspension my self. I think automatic lowering is only at Autobahn speeds. Maybe Heavyd can test this on his way back from Austria.

At home I drive electric individual at start up.

Mountain roads last week: sport uphill, adaptive or electric individual downhill.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #30
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Yes off course it is. You are correct. I just thought it was funny seeing this high value.

The range you report is what most of us get.

My highest was 83 km in eco pro driving like an old sock on 50-70 kom/h roads.

Adaptive is supposed to adapt the suspension steering and gas response to the driving conditions and your driving style. Hybrid and eco pro are not.

Eco pro gives you the possibility to use eco airconditioning but hat is irrelevant now because it is much to hot. Eco lights and seat heating is also possible to program. I haven't used that. I prefer adaptive mode because I like the automatic consistent regenerative braking. I don't really like the free ride like you mention in eco pro.

I think all three of them should adapt battery charge to possible city driving? Or maybe only adaptive and eco pro? So if your battery is empty and you have set navigation to the centre of Paris and you have 20 km driving in town it should start charging the battery on your way there. Switching to electric only with geofencing when you are within city limits is not specific to driving mode I think.

My preferred mode for highway is adaptive and I lower the suspension my self. I think automatic lowering is only at Autobahn speeds. Maybe Heavyd can test this on his way back from Austria.

At home I drive electric individual at start up.

Mountain roads last week: sport uphill, adaptive or electric individual downhill.
I only noticed automatic lowering when putting in sport. Even if you are doing 130 on the Autobahn Not in other modes.
I also noticed that the side bolsters of the seat get an extra push so you sit firmer when putting in sport. Did you also notice that?

Drove +1000km today. 900 km on exellent roads, the last 120 on the worst of the northern hemisphere. Yes, in the 3rd world country Belgium...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #31
kebiN
Private
Rep

Thank you for reporting your experience with modes.
Yes i also notice the side bolsters moving in sport!

I have never saw automatic lowering also, so I also lower myself on highway and it makes a huge difference in windy days!

I have read here in the forum that the sport lowering height (-20) is different from the second level (—10) but I couldnt find anything about that on the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:19 AM   #32
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:

I have never saw automatic lowering also, so I also lower myself on highway and it makes a huge difference in windy days!

I have read here in the forum that the sport lowering height (-20) is different from the second level (—10) but I couldnt find anything about that on the manual.
When I drove on the Autobahn in adaptive and I then pushed sport the indicator light of the air suspension went 1 level down. So I guess the car went lower, I could not feel it because I was driving more than 100 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:55 AM   #33
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

The lowest position of the AS is only for getting in and out of the car.

The lowest driving position is the sport position (second bar) the normal position is the third bar.

If you lower the suspension in adaptive mode one step the car is at the same level as in sport mode. You can't go lower when you drive. I like this on good quality highways like the French peage or In the Netherlands. In Belgium I drive in normal position because I think it is coping better with irregularities in the road ( and we have la lot of them)

I just reread the manual. It say the car is lowered at higher speeds. I thought like you it would come down to sport level when driving fast. But in fact it says the car is lowered at higher speeds to the level of the selected driving mode. So I think this means that if you set it on level 4 or 5 it will go back to 3 if you are in adaptive once you go over 30 ?? km/h. As I understand it now it will never go to level 2 if you are driving in adaptive mode.

The two highest are only for low speed off road. I used it once for driving through deep snow to lift the car above the level of the snow
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BBDDVV10.50
      08-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #34
kebiN
Private
Rep

This was the post. My manual does not have this table. It states dynamic level and sport level as different levels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:28 AM   #35
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This was the post. My manual does not have this table. It states dynamic level and sport level as different levels.
I don't have that table either. Apparently to this table dynamic height is automatic and will not be visible in the 5 bars above the switch. It will still show position 3. Hard to check. The picture you show is with off road package but I can't imagine that would make a difference at highway speeds ?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:17 AM   #36
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Did I read correctly that some of you manually lower the suspension on the highway and see a noticable reduction in fuel/electricity consumption?

Any idea how much the difference is?
Never tried it, wil do but it is so difficult to find reproducible circumstances to see if there is a difference.
Appreciate 1
pho116.00
      08-15-2020, 05:39 AM   #37
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
Did I read correctly that some of you manually lower the suspension on the highway and see a noticable reduction in fuel/electricity consumption?

Any idea how much the difference is?
Never tried it, wil do but it is so difficult to find reproducible circumstances to see if there is a difference.
I lower it because it feels a bit more stable and subjectivity less effect of side wind. But also a bit less comfort when driving on bad highways like in Belgium. On good high ways my preferred setting is adaptive and suspension lowered to sport level.

I don't know about economy. I didn't test it, I would have to try. But is could be (a bit) with (a bit ?) less air resistance?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #38
kebiN
Private
Rep

I lower manually because it feels much more planted, less suitable to wind. I little bit more hard, but in portugal highways are very very good.
I dont have evidence about fuel consumption difference. It should be a bit lower, but if you're driving 140km/h or + who cares?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #39
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Ok, i guess i misread the posts...
I was kinda surprised lowering would actually be noticeable in consumption.

Although, the higher the speed, the more noticeable the difference could be.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #40
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Does anyone know how much electricity 45e consumes during the 0-100% charge? I am trying to calculate how much does it cost to drive 45e miles/$.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #41
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Does anyone know how much electricity 45e consumes during the 0-100% charge? I am trying to calculate how much does it cost to drive 45e miles/$.
In mine a full charge is 23-24 kWh. But this is in Europe. The usable battery capacity in the US is said to be less. In Europe it has +/- 21 kWh usable capacity.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:22 AM   #42
bluetriangle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
I did a 46 mile round trip on Sunday, about 43 miles on electric only, country roads at 30-50 mph. To completely recharge was 21.6 kWh and took 5:47 hours.

Looking through the stats on the JuiceBox app (I do like stats) those charging values are fairly consistent from the past few months. Back in December there were a few charging sessions that took 23.3 kWh, possibly because the battery was new, more likely the session also included the preconditioning heating just before I went to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:20 AM   #43
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Can someone tell me where this "Kwh charged" counter is? I cannot seem to find it...
Is it usable for reporting to my accountant? (Guess that last question can only be answered/is only relevant to Belgian contractors, sorry )
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:10 AM   #44
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
Can someone tell me where this "Kwh charged" counter is? I cannot seem to find it...
Is it usable for reporting to my accountant? (Guess that last question can only be answered/is only relevant to Belgian contractors, sorry )
That counter is visible in the new MyBMW app.
If you add a tariff in the app for your home charger, it even calculates the cost per session.

BUT there is no way to know if this will reset/get lost (during updates etc) so i wouldn't count on it for reporting...

As a Belgian self employed, i use the stats from my home charger + BMW Charging card invoices for reporting.
Appreciate 1
Sirksael102.50