BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2020, 07:23 AM   #89
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I find it worthwhile. Not that I'm speeding all the time But Belgium is infested with speed cameras. Roads with 70 km/h, 50-70-30-50-70-50-70, ... It's almost impossible to keep track. That Coyote gives me more ease of mind and a more relaxing driving experience. I don't have to keep looking all the time for a speeding camera. Certainly if you drive somewhere where you aren't familiar.

It' has a built in GPS to locate the position your at. Coyote is subscription based. I think it costs me 144 euros per year. And it's mounted on the ventilation holes in front of me on the dashboard. That's a downside. It's not an integrated system.
Understand.... 100% The Mons area is building like 40 new speed cameras over the next year alone.... and you better believe 90% of them are near or around the American military base. It's almost sickening how obvious they target Americans. I've never seen so many speed cameras..... anywhere.

Website won't translate on my phone, so I need to get home and read up on my PC (we're coming back from Amsterdam vacation as I speak).... but if it's a reliable system, I would be happy with building some sort of way to integrate it into the interior, and then wiring it into the fuse box permanently.

Do you have a picture of your setup? I'm actually thinking about purchasing one this evening if it's as good as you say it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #90
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Understand.... 100% The Mons area is building like 40 new speed cameras over the next year alone.... and you better believe 90% of them are near or around the American military base. It's almost sickening how obvious they target Americans. I've never seen so many speed cameras..... anywhere.

Website won't translate on my phone, so I need to get home and read up on my PC (we're coming back from Amsterdam vacation as I speak).... but if it's a reliable system, I would be happy with building some sort of way to integrate it into the interior, and then wiring it into the fuse box permanently.

Do you have a picture of your setup? I'm actually thinking about purchasing one this evening if it's as good as you say it is.
They are not only targeting Americans. They are targeting everyone
In Flanders there are many trajectory controls now. That's really annoying. Don't know if the Walloon area has this already. The max speed on regional roads in Flanders is 70. In the Walloon area it's still 90.

Sometimes the Coyote can be annoying because it gives warning after warning

I don't know if there is a good way to integrate it more with the car. It has to connect with gps sattelites. But I'm used with this setup now.

This my setup with a Coyote magnetic holder.
https://www.coyotesystems.be/nl/prod...ierooster.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #91
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
They are not only targeting Americans. They are targeting everyone
In Flanders there are many trajectory controls now. That's really annoying. Don't know if the Walloon area has this already. The max speed on regional roads in Flanders is 70. In the Walloon area it's still 90.

Sometimes the Coyote can be annoying because it gives warning after warning

I don't know if there is a good way to integrate it more with the car. It has to connect with gps sattelites. But I'm used with this setup now.

This my setup with a Coyote magnetic holder.
https://www.coyotesystems.be/nl/prod...ierooster.html
I like that. I also like how small it is. I believe I can integrate that somehow into the panel on the roof above the rearview mirror. Is the connection a micro usb? USB C? Something else? I won't use a cig or usb plug.... I'll wire it into the fusebox.

I understand about excessive warnings.... I was just in Flanders and Brussels recently. There are red light cameras all over the place. Down here in Wallonia, we have very few of those, and I'm generally not one to accelerate through yellow lights anyway.

But the speed cameras.... are EVERYWHERE. It's all we have, but there are a LOT of them. And, they are constantly rotating those temporary speed cameras almost weekly. There are AT LEAST 30 speed cameras right outside the base gates, or in the immediate vicinity of, or on the road between the two military bases. (SHAPE NATO base, and Chievres US air base) Over double what they have in the entire city of Mons.... and there are NONE on the main road to France (25km away) and only one on the main road to Germany (100km away).

The speed camera to population ratio..... is higher around the US military base..... than anywhere in Belgium. Sure.... they have them all over the place, but if you look at the relatively low population of where I live.... versus the number of speed cameras installed??? It's absolutely absurd. It's all farmland out here.... but you'd think it was the speeding capital of the world.

They don't have to "chase" us or "find" us to issue tickets. There a Belgian police department right outside the base, with direct access to the personal info of everyone stationed there. They don't even have to mail tickets.... they use the US government email system, and then we have to go to the (conveniently located) police station to sign for them. Efficient. Quick. It's a CASH COW for Belgium.

Anyway.... just got home.... I'm going to start researching this Coyote mini, and probably order one. Seems worth having. Thanks for your help. Sincerely.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #92
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
I like that. I also like how small it is. I believe I can integrate that somehow into the panel on the roof above the rearview mirror. Is the connection a micro usb? USB C? Something else? I won't use a cig or usb plug.... I'll wire it into the fusebox.

I understand about excessive warnings.... I was just in Flanders and Brussels recently. There are red light cameras all over the place. Down here in Wallonia, we have very few of those, and I'm generally not one to accelerate through yellow lights anyway.

But the speed cameras.... are EVERYWHERE. It's all we have, but there are a LOT of them. And, they are constantly rotating those temporary speed cameras almost weekly. There are AT LEAST 30 speed cameras right outside the base gates, or in the immediate vicinity of, or on the road between the two military bases. (SHAPE NATO base, and Chievres US air base) Over double what they have in the entire city of Mons.... and there are NONE on the main road to France (25km away) and only one on the main road to Germany (100km away).

The speed camera to population ratio..... is higher around the US military base..... than anywhere in Belgium. Sure.... they have them all over the place, but if you look at the relatively low population of where I live.... versus the number of speed cameras installed??? It's absolutely absurd. It's all farmland out here.... but you'd think it was the speeding capital of the world.

They don't have to "chase" us or "find" us to issue tickets. There a Belgian police department right outside the base, with direct access to the personal info of everyone stationed there. They don't even have to mail tickets.... they use the US government email system, and then we have to go to the (conveniently located) police station to sign for them. Efficient. Quick. It's a CASH COW for Belgium.

Anyway.... just got home.... I'm going to start researching this Coyote mini, and probably order one. Seems worth having. Thanks for your help. Sincerely.
Yes Belgium is speed camera heaven It certainly is a cash cow for the government. This has nothing to do with safety. And they keep putting them everywhere. In Flanders also more and more trajectory control. It isn't fun anymore. It's such a relief when you drive to Germany or Holland.

And despite that being a cash cow we still have the worst roads in western Europe and we drive from pot hole to pot hole or from speed bump to speed bump.

It's a micro usb. I guess you can integrate it somewhere overthere and connect it with the fusebox. They put dashcams also in that position.
If you buy one and you can integrate it in the car please let me know
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #93
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
It warns for obstacles, accidents, traffic jams, permanent en mobile speed camera's, ...
For mobile camera's it depends on the input of drivers that have a coyote. They must indicate a mobile camera. It's available in several European countries but it works different in some countries because of legalisation.
In Belgium it warns at the exact point of a speed camera. In Germany and France it will warn that you are entering a high risk zone.
Somewhere you will find a speed camera
It's legal and Coyotesystems is a French company.

https://www.coyotesystems.be/nl/
Is it accurate? I mean, is it worthwhile to have?

Also, does it work full-time, or do you have to be actively using the gps for it to work?
You can also download the Coyote app on a smart phone. I think it has a free trial version. I only have the app I didn't buy a separate Coyote Mini.

It has saved me a couple of times in the past. I don't use it anymore. I don't drive more than 20 km/h to fast anyway. Fines are quite high. And I found out that ad the end it doesn't make a big difference anyway. Unless you are in Germany and really can do a steady 170 km/h for a longer time (and you lose that again by the extra fuel stop &#128521

The Coyote system is community based. So if a Coyote user sees a mobile or fixed speed camera they push on the camera button and it registers. So the next drivers see the registers cameras.

You can see how many active users are around you. So if there are enough you can trust the info.

I think Waze works the same way.

For the speed limits the bmw system is not too bad. It misses sometimes so you have to stay alert.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #94
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

Yes Belgium is speed camera heaven It certainly is a cash cow for the government. This has nothing to do with safety. And they keep putting them everywhere. In Flanders also more and more trajectory control. It isn't fun anymore. It's such a relief when you drive to Germany or Holland.

And despite that being a cash cow we still have the worst roads in western Europe and we drive from pot hole to pot hole or from speed bump to speed bump.

It's a micro usb. I guess you can integrate it somewhere overthere and connect it with the fusebox. They put dashcams also in that position.
Since February the Coyote and other systems are illegal in Germany. They changed the law. 250 euro fine.

And in The Netherlands they made everything 100 km/h from 6 to 19h. So that's solved too.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #95
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Since February the Coyote and other systems are illegal in Germany. They changed the law. 250 euro fine.

And in The Netherlands they made everything 100 km/h from 6 to 19h. So that's solved too.
According to the Coyote website it is still allowed in Germany. In the past Coyote did not say where the speed camera was. It just said entering a high risk zone. And that can be a few kilometers. In Belgium it says speed camera in 500 meters
In France the Coyote works as in Germany. The software works differently if you cross a border.

https://www.autofans.be/nieuws/overh...coyote-en-waze
The driver may not use the app but the passenger may use the app. But he can't tell the driver
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #96
nealins
_
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Is anyone able to purchase in Canada? I can't see TRAFFIC CAMERA INFORMATION option at all in the Canada CD store.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #97
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

So to be clear there is no technology in the app that links the cameras / radar on the car to actually read or detect these things it's simply just data aggregation? If so it's only as good as Waze? And then you might as well use Waze for free with Apple Play? Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #98
spike5150
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
So to be clear there is no technology in the app that links the cameras / radar on the car to actually read or detect these things it's simply just data aggregation? If so it's only as good as Waze? And then you might as well use Waze for free with Apple Play? Is that correct?
And its still 100% INACCURATE for me (BMW Version). Almost a dozen false positives so far...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #99
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
And its still 100% INACCURATE for me (BMW Version). Almost a dozen false positives so far...
The BMW system is pretty accurate for me here in South Florida but identifies red light cameras as traffic cameras consistently. Funny thing is Florida legislature passed a law few years ago that made red light cameras illegal statewide and since state law overrides local law, all the money grubbing towns/cities that installed these with revenue share partnerships with the red light camera companies are now stuck with cameras that cannot be enforced!

Funny to see these things still in place but impotent. But this is Florida so sooner or later the right number of legislators will get bribed and those smart enough to be not caught, will pass another law legalizing the red light cams.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #100
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:

Just purchased the Coyota mini yesterday. They said it would arrive in 3 days. This is Belgium, so that probably means late next week. But still, it's on the way. I'm excited about it.

I need to hold it, see it, touch it, etc.... to get a good idea of how to mount it. Privacy is important too, especially after what I've read about Germany... because I drive to Germany pretty often... including Tuesday (4 days from now).

So, I'll probably figure out a way to mount it down low, out of sight from other drivers on the road. More to follow.

Still bummed about the fact that the BMW app doesn't work.... but maybe it's just Belgium? Either way, it was only 25 bucks. I'm going to leave it activated, maybe one day it will work. If nothing else, it will work when I rotate back to the US... whenever that is.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #101
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Has anyone had any issues with this feature switching from HUD to the drivers display? This used to show up on the HUD. Can't find any options in "display settings" to switch back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #102
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Has anyone had any issues with this feature switching from HUD to the drivers display? This used to show up on the HUD. Can't find any options in "display settings" to switch back.
From what I've read, it seems like it will show up in your instrument cluster unless you have ACC on. With ACC on it will show in your HUD. Or if you have assisted driver view on your cluster enabled instead of map view, that will also switch it to the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #103
newjack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M COMP

Quote:
Same thing here, was displayed in the HUD now it's back in the instrument panel for no reason and I can't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #104
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjack View Post
Quote:
Same thing here, was displayed in the HUD now it's back in the instrument panel for no reason and I can't fix it.
I have this on my 3 series and X5 and it's still in the HUD on my 3. When I go under apps to traffic cameras it says you can change where it's displayed (HUD/Instrument panel) in "display settings", but when you go there, no option for that is available. Maybe a mistake on BMWs part?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #105
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

I had my first speed camera alert today and it was in the HUD. I did not have time to look at the dash because my detectors were sounding the alarm.
Yet I have gone through this many times and wonder if they actually mail out tickets if you are under 85 on the 70 PSL.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #106
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05

It only displays on my instrument panel as well and does not display on HUD. And since I don't ACC too, maybe that is why?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #107
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolF15D2017 View Post
It only displays on my instrument panel as well and does not display on HUD. And since I don't ACC too, maybe that is why?
I just drove around today with assisted driver view active and I still got the alerts on my cluster. So unfortunately that's not it.

There was a poster in this thread that show pics of the menus in their HUD showing a setting for "route warnings". I don't have that option so I wonder if it's because we're on different i-step software versions.

What's odd is that I can swear when I first got the app it did show in my HUD. Don't know when it switched.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:27 PM   #108
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I just drove around today with assisted driver view active and I still got the alerts on my cluster. So unfortunately that's not it.

There was a poster in this thread that show pics of the menus in their HUD showing a setting for "route warnings". I don't have that option so I wonder if it's because we're on different i-step software versions.

What's odd is that I can swear when I first got the app it did show in my HUD. Don't know when it switched.
Drove around the intersection in Daly City (San Pedro and Junipero Serra) and I have it set to display on HUD when I first drove by, nothing, no warning at all. Stopped a few blocks and change my settings to display on instrument panel, then drove by again and this time it warned me ahead of time and how many feet as i am approaching the intersection again. So it works on instrument panel. So, I've decided for the final time and choose to display on HUD and drove by the intersection again and nothing. So, when I choose HUD nothing, and when I choose instrument panel I get a warning and display. So.... I am missing something in the car or car not properly equipped, setup or whatever. I just selected to display on instrument panel.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #109
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just came back from a drive today and in the "Displays" setting under HUD there is now a "Route Warnings" option where you can choose either the instrument cluster or the HUD. This just showed up today, so IDK what was going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #110
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

https://www.ghsa.org/state-laws/issu...ight%20cameras

I am just curious how many who purchased this feature live in areas that the devices in question.
Appreciate 0