07-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
X3 to 2021 X5 M50I. Order in.

I have had several X3's...all carbon black and strongly considered and the X3MC but just needed a change. A V8 change:-). Here is my build:

21SJ X5 M50i
Arctic Grey Metallic
Black Extended Merino Leather
Dynamic Handling Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Executive Package
22" M Double-spoke black wheels, style 742M
Heated Front Seats, Armrests & Steering Wheel
Trailer Hitch
Carbon Fiber trim
Extended Shadowline Trim

Very excited!!

I have been watching and waiting here for months and learned a lot...so thank you.

Last edited by utcadman; 07-13-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
wishman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2016 991 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman View Post
I have several X3's...all carbon black and strongly considered and the X3MC but just needed a change. A V8 change:-). Here is my build:

21SJ X5 M50i
Arctic Grey Metallic
Black Extended Merino Leather
Dynamic Handling Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Executive Package
22" M Double-spoke black wheels, style 742M
Heated Front Seats, Armrests & Steering Wheel
Trailer Hitch
Carbon Fiber trim
Extended Shadowline Trim

Very excited!!

I have been watching and waiting here for months and learned a lot...so thank you.
Congrats! I'm getting ready to submit mine this week.

No Parking Assistance Package? Seems no brainer at $800. This is not included in 2021 Executive Package as far as I can tell (was included in 2020 Exec package).

Also, would strongly suggest Space Saver Tire at $150.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
produhktiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i First Edition

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2019 M850i  [0.00]
I'm excited to see pics of the Carbon Fiber trim

Agree with wishman on both Spare Tire & PAP! The Surround View is worth it alone to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ha!

Ok! you convinced me... PAP will go in....

The space saver is included at no cost with the wheel and tires I selected.

Thanks for the advice..:-)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
usna86
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
I put in my order for a 2021 X5 on Saturday as well, and allegedly have a week 33 build date. I'm pretty excited about it, but here's my build:

Carbon Black Metallic
Cognac Vernasca Leather
M Sport package
Executive package
Drivers Assistance Pro package
Luxury Seating Package
Parking Assistance Package
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front massaging seats
Heated Front Seats Armrests / Steering Wheel
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
wheine4147
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw X6

2021 builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by usna86 View Post
I put in my order for a 2021 X5 on Saturday as well, and allegedly have a week 33 build date. I'm pretty excited about it, but here's my build:

Carbon Black Metallic
Cognac Vernasca Leather
M Sport package
Executive package
Luxury Seating Package
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front massaging seats
What kind of discount did you get?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
usna86
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheine4147 View Post
What kind of discount did you get?
The final price is still kind of TBD because they wouldn't commit to what incentives I'll get when the car arrives. I have a USAA one in my hip pocket for $3250, but I guess looking at it right now I got a 5% discount. I was happy with the price and didn't feel the need to haggle a lot though, so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #8
AshFTW
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M

Quote:
The final price is still kind of TBD because they wouldn't commit to what incentives I'll get when the car arrives. I have a USAA one in my hip pocket for $3250, but I guess looking at it right now I got a 5% discount. I was happy with the price and didn't feel the need to haggle a lot though, so YMMV.
What’s USAA? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
usna86
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshFTW View Post
What’s USAA? Thanks!
My bank/insurance company (I'm former military and that's who they cater to). I'd have to finance outside of BMW to get that incentive though, and at least right now, the BMW rate is better. I expect to get another $3k off the price one way or the other though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Carbon Black Metallic
Cognac Vernasca Leather
M Sport package
Executive package
Luxury Seating Package
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front massaging seats

Please please do consider getting the Merino leather, night and day differences on comfort, looks and sense of luxury. Unless you needed the tougher leather
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
usna86
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSAC View Post
Please please do consider getting the Merino leather, night and day differences on comfort, looks and sense of luxury. Unless you needed the tougher leather
I'm fine with the tougher leather. I didn't like the colors that Marino comes in so that was the primary driver. Plus, with the luxury seats, they're going to be way better than what I have in my Volvo XC60 at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #12
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm fine with the tougher leather. I didn't like the colors that Marino comes in so that was the primary driver. Plus, with the luxury seats, they're going to be way better than what I have in my Volvo XC60 at the moment.

Vernasca creates fatigue on longer drives, and Cognac looks more "poopy" than "cognac" hehe, I feel your build would look great with Tartufo!

oh well, I tried Enjoy your car!
Appreciate 2
usna8610.50
Cooltones241.00
      07-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
OP, congratulations on upgrading from the XC60! Enjoy Vernasca, it's durable and relatively maintenance free compared to Merino.

Quote:
Vernasca creates fatigue on longer drives, and Cognac looks more "poopy" than "cognac" hehe, I feel your build would look great with Tartufo!

Plenty of Bimmer owners from 1 Series to X7s driving around in Vernasca and some BMW vehicles that's the highest leather option.

Vernasca is an improvement over Dakota and doesn't create fatigue on long drives unless you're able to share quantitative and qualitative ownership findings that says otherwise.

Appreciate 1
usna8610.50
      07-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #14
wishman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2016 991 GTS

Just put in our order for a '21 X5 M50i. Don't have build date, but advisor expected it to be in August.

Tried to find right balance of sportiness/comfort. Going to be primarily the wife's car who is ok with the sportier drive. But in the end, after several test drives (unfortunately never found a DHP to test drive), decided against 21" or 22" wheels for both the extra comfort and the wealth of 20" choices.

21SJ X5 M50i
Mineral White
Black Extended Merino
Dynamic Handling Package
Premium Package
20" 740M wheels
Space Saver Tire
F/R Heated Seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrests, & Steering Wheel
Fineline Stripe Brown Trim
Extended Shadowline Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #15
rayray718
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15 MSport

Quote:
Quote:

I have an m50i with coffee Vernasca. I personally really like it. The Merino is nicer for sure but my wife didn't like the quilted look plus two kids who step on seats constantly.

I drove 4.5 hours straight from NYC to Cape Cod and did not experience any seat related fatigue.
Appreciate 1
usna8610.50
      07-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #16
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
OP, congratulations on upgrading from the XC60! Enjoy Vernasca, it's durable and relatively maintenance free compared to Merino.

Plenty of Bimmer owners from 1 Series to X7s driving around in Vernasca and some BMW vehicles that's the highest leather option.

Vernasca is an improvement over Dakota and doesn't create fatigue on long drives unless you're able to share quantitative and qualitative ownership findings that says otherwise.

Fair enough, I guess I've just been spoiled, anything less than Napa gives me fatigue, I want and need the supplest leather possible my hope is they'll soon be doing goat or lamb skins
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #17
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray718 View Post
I have an m50i with coffee Vernasca. I personally really like it. The Merino is nicer for sure but my wife didn't like the quilted look plus two kids who step on seats constantly.

I drove 4.5 hours straight from NYC to Cape Cod and did not experience any seat related fatigue.

oh yeah, with two kids and who step on seats, the Vernasca is a must!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 11:12 PM   #18
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough, I guess I've just been spoiled, anything less than Napa gives me fatigue, I want and need the supplest leather possible my hope is they'll soon be doing goat or lamb skins
It must be excruciating settling for common Merino as ALPINA Lavalina is the pinnacle of leathers available on vehicles with a Roundel - unfortunately available only on international market ALPINAs:

https://www.alpina-automobiles.com/e...world/bespoke/

"LAVALINA is amongst the most natural and highest quality leather types available worldwide and offers all the advantages of untreated full-grain cowhide. It is cask-pigmented and is produced using the highest-quality hides sourced in South Germany. Silky smooth to the touch, this leather is unrivalled in terms of its surface texture, climatic comfort and appearance. Its natural qualities can be felt with every touch. It guarantees excellent temperature compensation and moisture regulation and is extremely breathable.

In a special additional tanning process, the individual fibres of the cowhide are impregnated with precious natural oils. This preserves the properties of the natural leather, such as its silky and extremely soft touch, while at the same time increasing the resistance to wear and tear. The natural traces and marks of life remain visible on the surface of the leather and lend LAVALINA leather its unique characteristics, which are valued by connoisseurs worldwide."

What they don't tell you is that it requires regular cleaning, using only boiled water and a pH-neutral soap.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #19
usna86
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Haha thanks. I actually test drove an X7 that had Tartufo and we really didn't like the color. To each their own, right? That's why they give us all these options.

I debated getting the beige since that's what I have in my Volvo and I like the look but my lovely wife reminded me how we get some color bleed from our Levis onto the seats so the cognac was a good compromise.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #20
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It must be excruciating settling for common Merino as ALPINA Lavalina is the pinnacle of leathers available on vehicles with a Roundel - unfortunately available only on international market ALPINAs:

https://www.alpina-automobiles.com/e...world/bespoke/

"LAVALINA is amongst the most natural and highest quality leather types available worldwide and offers all the advantages of untreated full-grain cowhide. It is cask-pigmented and is produced using the highest-quality hides sourced in South Germany. Silky smooth to the touch, this leather is unrivalled in terms of its surface texture, climatic comfort and appearance. Its natural qualities can be felt with every touch. It guarantees excellent temperature compensation and moisture regulation and is extremely breathable.

In a special additional tanning process, the individual fibres of the cowhide are impregnated with precious natural oils. This preserves the properties of the natural leather, such as its silky and extremely soft touch, while at the same time increasing the resistance to wear and tear. The natural traces and marks of life remain visible on the surface of the leather and lend LAVALINA leather its unique characteristics, which are valued by connoisseurs worldwide."

What they don't tell you is that it requires regular cleaning, using only boiled water and a pH-neutral soap.

nah not at all, that's just marketing material, it's not Vernasca vs Napa/Merino difference. LAVALINA is nice, not nicer than bespoke in a Roller, it's just bull hides after all, no matter how they process it, it's no goat nor lamb!

Different tanning and treatment process produced result requires different (extra) caring isn't a big deal, like paying extra insurance on a LFA, or paying a little extra for 94 gas, part of the "experience"

Last edited by BMWSAC; 07-14-2020 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #21
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha thanks. I actually test drove an X7 that had Tartufo and we really didn't like the color. To each their own, right? That's why they give us all these options.

I debated getting the beige since that's what I have in my Volvo and I like the look but my lovely wife reminded me how we get some color bleed from our Levis onto the seats so the cognac was a good compromise.

Yeah totally, and it's a good alternate if you wanted beige initially
Appreciate 1
usna8610.50
      07-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #22
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I went through the same discussion in my head you guys had here and ordered black. (merino) :-)
Appreciate 2
usna8610.50
Cooltones241.00