08-06-2020, 02:33 AM   #1
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Missing screws?

Hi everyone.

I recently got my car back from the body shop. I've gotten most issues sorted out. However there were 2 loose screws I found in my car at time of pick up. I asked the body shop if they were BMW Screws but they said no, not sure why they were in my car.

I thought nothing of it until today. I was just checking my car for another reason and noticed 2 holes under the front bumper / grill area.

Image is attached. Can anyone take a look at their car and let me know if theirs is the same? There are a lot of washers + screws and then 2 symmetrical holes on either side.

Edit have 8 screws in total and 2 holes for a total of 10.
Attached Images

Last edited by MrMoo; 08-06-2020 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post
Hi everyone.

I recently got my car back from the body shop. I've gotten most issues sorted out. However there were 2 loose screws I found in my car at time of pick up. I asked the body shop if they were BMW Screws but they said no, not sure why they were in my car.

I thought nothing of it until today. I was just checking my car for another reason and noticed 2 holes under the front bumper / grill area.

Image is attached. Can anyone take a look at their car and let me know if theirs is the same? There are a lot of washers + screws and then 2 symmetrical holes on either side.

Edit have 8 screws in total and 2 holes for a total of 10.
I hate it when that happens! From your pic it doesn't appear that the two screws you found would go into the hole under your car. Do they match those screws? Same size and with the large flat washer attached? Those screws hold the black plastic underbody floor in place and you can see the ones that are there now. The empty hole is in-between them and too close to them to be used for that purpose, there would be no need for it and lastly it appears from looking at the surrounding area from the hole that no screw was ever there. If you look up into that hole, do you see a corresponding nut for a screw to screw into? Did the work you had done involve the removal of that black plastic underbody floor?

Think about what the car was in the shop for and then look around those areas for two missing screws. Also, do the two screws you found look brand new, like they were never used? Could it be the tech simply dropped them from his shirt pocket without realizing it? That black plastic floor is held in place by around 15-20 screws that look just like the ones in your pic, possibly if you were to look at all the locations you might find a couple of missing screws but it would entail you climbing under the front of the car with a flashlight to find all the places where that black plastic floor is secured with those screws, if indeed the work that was done entailed removing that floor.

Just guessing.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Not sure if this helps. G06, M Sport bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the help guys.

I think the 2 screws that were in my car do seem a bit large and thicker than the hole / what is there currently. So I probably am overreacting in that regard. Although from doctorttt's post there should not be a hole but some kind of insert? It doesn't look like a washer / screw.

I'm getting my car serviced next week so maybe they'll know what it is and hopefully it's an easy fix? Lol.

If anyone else has any photos that would be great

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.

I think the 2 screws that were in my car do seem a bit large and thicker than the hole / what is there currently. So I probably am overreacting in that regard. Although from doctorttt's post there should not be a hole but some kind of insert? It doesn't look like a washer / screw.

I'm getting my car serviced next week so maybe they'll know what it is and hopefully it's an easy fix? Lol.

If anyone else has any photos that would be great

Thanks
You have an X5, doctorttt has an X6, your bumpers may not be the same. What you see on the X6 that you are now referring to is a plastic pop in fastener, not a metal screw. Why don't you post a pic of what the two screws look like that you found in your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #6
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
You have an X5, doctorttt has an X6, your bumpers may not be the same. What you see on the X6 that you are now referring to is a plastic pop in fastener, not a metal screw. Why don't you post a pic of what the two screws look like that you found in your car?
Unfortunately I gave them back as I was told they have nothing to do with my car and are not BMW Screws lol.

Hopefully if it is a pop in fastener and my car does need them, the service centre has spare pop ins
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I gave them back as I was told they have nothing to do with my car and are not BMW Screws lol.

Hopefully if it is a pop in fastener and my car does need them, the service centre has spare pop ins
Yeah, they'll have them, not to worry and they will know whether something goes in that hole or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:18 AM   #8
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

If anyone was curious. These are drainage holes. They are meant to be there lol.
Appreciate 0