BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Configurator for 2021 X5 now active in US

I just saw the configurator for 2021 X5 now active in US. Looks like it matches the order guide other than luxury seating package.
Appreciate 1
mocad39.00
      08-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Looks like the aluminum dark mesh interior trim is unavailable with the M Sport package, along with some of the more luxury appointments, such as the Bowers & Wilkins Surround Sound System and alcantara headliner. Good thing I ordered a 2020! Admittedly, I'm digging the red calipers! White exterior with the red calipers looks super slick.
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      08-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
About time they switched over. Thanks for the post!

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

nice the HK sound is included in the executive package.
sad to see no B&W sound available
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I noticed on the M50i that it double charges you if you pick the M Y-Style wheels for $950. The number at the end wasn't matching my spreadsheet and that seems to be why.

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocad View Post
I noticed on the M50i that it double charges you if you pick the M Y-Style wheels for $950. The number at the end wasn't matching my spreadsheet and that seems to be why.
Same here...I couldn't figure out why it was $1k off.
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
I noticed that are not showing massaging seats as a stand alone option online but was an option on the option sheet when we placed an order (M50I) this past weekend. Now wondering if they will update my order to remove the massaging seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocad View Post
same here, the online configurator is $950 higher than the dealer sheet my CA emailed me.
      08-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
I just saw the configurator for 2021 X5 now active in US. Looks like it matches the order guide other than luxury seating package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Looks like the aluminum dark mesh interior trim is unavailable with the M Sport package
Noted both of these items…

The ZLS Luxury Seating Pkg with only ventilated seats & multi-contour seats doesn't even appear to be available online. Yet the massaging seats are available as a $1k stand-alone option, along with multi-contour seats, also as a stand-alone at $750. So, for $1750 you can have both of those, and pass on the ventilated seats? But you're spending $150 more and NOT getting an option... I don't quite get that.

EDIT: I found that if you try to order the stand-alone massaging seats, it forces you to confirm adding the whole $1600 Luxury Seating Package to the build.

As for the aluminum dark mesh interior trim, I see you can't bring it up as an option when building an M Sport. Yet, the pricing guide definitely shows it as an available option with ZMP.

And I can attest that my X5 sDrive40i already in stage 3 production was ordered with ZMP & 4KM! If it arrives with something else, the dealership eats it. The brown-ish, wannabe wood trims don't match with a black interior.

Coding errors that they need to fix, perhaps?

Last edited by Cougar85; 08-06-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #10
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar85 View Post
Noted both of these items…

The ZLS Luxury Seating Pkg with only ventilated seats & multi-contour seats doesn't even appear to be available online. Yet the massaging seats are available as a $1k stand-alone option, along with multi-contour seats, also as a stand-alone at $750. So, for $1750 you can have both of those, and pass on the ventilated seats? But you're spending $150 more and NOT getting an option... I don't quite get that.

EDIT: I found that if you try to order the stand-alone massaging seats, it forces you to confirm adding the whole $1600 Luxury Seating Package to the build.

As for the aluminum dark mesh interior trim, I see you can't bring it up as an option when building an M Sport. Yet, the pricing guide definitely shows it as an available option with ZMP.

And I can attest that my X5 sDrive40i already in stage 3 production was ordered with ZMP & 4KM! If it arrives with something else, the dealership eats it. The brown-ish, wannabe wood trims don't match with a black interior.

Coding errors that they need to fix, perhaps?

I do believe they are coding errors they will fix. The million dollar question is if they will bring back more options later after Covid-19. There are some higher end options I was considering. My lease is not up till February so I have time. Ain decision will be X5 vs X6. I have been a long time fan of the X6 but the X5 is really starting to win me over.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #11
Colinhuemmer
Bimmer4Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Among many options missing for 2021, the biggest buzzkill for me was the lack of a Leather Dash option... I was able to get one of the last remaining build spots for a 2020 and I feel really fortunate.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The million dollar question is if they will bring back more options later after Covid-19.
Agreed.

Waiting for 2021, I lost a few things I would have liked to still have; soft-close doors & heated and cooled cupholders. But I can certainly live & enjoy my X5 just fine without them. No need to wait and hope they reappear later...

But now I'm stuck with one I really don't want; glass controls. They seem too gimmicky for me, and have never liked the look when I see them at the dealership. Guess I'll learn to live with them. The Executive Package includes too many other things I definitely won't give up!

Quote:
I have been a long time fan of the X6 but the X5 is really starting to win me over.
Funny you say that. I've seen a few X6's lately and I've had a pause or two while I consider it. But, I've been a longtime fan of the X5, so it's usually a short pause...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinhuemmer View Post
Among many options missing for 2021, the biggest buzzkill for me was the lack of a Leather Dash option... I was able to get one of the last remaining build spots for a 2020 and I feel really fortunate.
Congrats!

Yeah, if that was important to me, I'd be upset to lose it. You spend more time inside staring at it and it would pick at me eventually.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #14
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
It's not uncommon to have configurator issues after the first few days (or weeks) of it coming online. The build sheets always win over, since that is what the dealer uses to order, not the customer facing configurator.

BMW has been known in the past that as the supply chain evolves, that they will add some of those things back. I remember an issue a while back with the F10 was missing the foot operated trunk opener for a month or so, and it quietly came back with no fanfare. I don't suspect that will happen as fast this time, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #15
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.

Waiting for 2021, I lost a few things I would have liked to still have; soft-close doors & heated and cooled cupholders. But I can certainly live & enjoy my X5 just fine without them. No need to wait and hope they reappear later...

But now I'm stuck with one I really don't want; glass controls. They seem too gimmicky for me, and have never liked the look when I see them at the dealership. Guess I'll learn to live with them. The Executive Package includes too many other things I definitely won't give up!

Funny you say that. I've seen a few X6's lately and I've had a pause or two while I consider it. But, I've been a longtime fan of the X5, so it's usually a short pause...
I like the glass controls. I think it looks nice. Just don't over think it and take in the full cabin look. In isolation you are right. Just change the perspective. I actually like the new executive package overall. I really just wish I could get B&W without executive package to really see if I would order. BMW certainly know how to get me to spend more money!

There is one part of the X6, the rear lower quarter by the wheel when combined as the back of the roof line comes down. It looks too elongated to me. I like the shape overall and the vehicle looks mean or angry. I get it. It is certainly misunderstood. I have gotten over my M550i only because every vehicle on the road is elevated now and you can't see around them. Enter the X5 or X6.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have gotten over my M550i only because every vehicle on the road is elevated now and you can't see around them. Enter the X5 or X6.
Again, funny you say that...

For years I drove MB E-classes, and just tired of them. I was ready for a change and the 5-series was it. Being my first BMW, I went full-tilt and got a 2019 M550i. Loved & enjoyed every minute of it... until my office location changed and I went from being 6 miles up the road to a 60 mile round trip freeway adventure every day. Dealing with the “elevated” vehicles that you can’t see around is not fun in daily traffic. And driving what is just short of a race car on daily So California freeway commutes is wasted overkill.

As you, I’m over my M550i...

Enter the X5.

And only time will tell about the glass controls. We'll see... I'm "stuck" with them for 3 years...

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:07 AM   #17
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Again, funny you say that...

For years I drove MB E-classes, and just tired of them. I was ready for a change and the 5-series was it. Being my first BMW, I went full-tilt and got a 2019 M550i. Loved & enjoyed every minute of it... until my office location changed and I went from being 6 miles up the road to a 60 mile round trip freeway adventure every day. Dealing with the “elevated” vehicles that you can’t see around is not fun in daily traffic. And driving what is just short of a race car on daily So California freeway commutes is wasted overkill.

As you, I’m over my M550i...

Enter the X5.

And only time will tell about the glass controls. We'll see... I'm "stuck" with them for 3 years...

Do note that I love the M550i and that it is a great car. I would choose it every time if I wanted to continue with a sedan. I might consider an Alpina B7, but that is another story. Also I only get tempted by MB every so often. I do like the GLE coupe. I can't stand that ugly GLE SUV. Puke!

As a side note I have a strong desire for a convertible. I might have to pick up something fun like that soon. I would consider one for everyday, but the height issue is there again, plus my kids Iike having their own door and well so do I.

Anyway I will be curious to see what you get. When do you get a new ride?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #18
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do note that I love the M550i and that it is a great car. I would choose it every time if I wanted to continue with a sedan. I might consider an Alpina B7, but that is another story. Also I only get tempted by MB every so often. I do like the GLE coupe. I can't stand that ugly GLE SUV. Puke!

As a side note I have a strong desire for a convertible. I might have to pick up something fun like that soon. I would consider one for everyday, but the height issue is there again, plus my kids Iike having their own door and well so do I.

Anyway I will be curious to see what you get. When do you get a new ride?
Oh, don't get me wrong, if the commute were not what it is, I'd be staying with the M550i. In addition, we also have a second grandchild now, and while my wife has an SUV for them, if I needed it, she wouldn't be driving my M550i…

I began chatting with my CA earlier in the year, just as the pandemic took ahold, and put in an order for a 2020 X5. Shortly thereafter, I put the M550i on Swap. I had a lot of interest, but mostly everyone wanted to rape me assuming I wanted to dump it, financially, due to the crisis. So, I was getting requests for ridiculous incentives. I had resigned myself to just letting BMW have the M550i back, and paying the difference on the payoff. Then, of course, Spartanburg shut down, so the X5 was delayed indefinitely. Right around the time the plant opened back up and the X5 was actually on its way, I was able to make a fair deal with a Swap buyer. The X5 showed, but now BMW's assumption process is taking much longer than normal. My CA said he was unable to hold the X5 until the process completed (possibly 4-6 weeks according to BMW), and I was unwilling to take the X5. On the off chance the assumption falls through, I do not want to own two cars.

My CA put in an order for a replacement X5, this time a 2021 using one of his first allocations. Her production week starts tomorrow, and she has already moved into stage 3. So now I am hoping the M550i assumption finishes before the X5 arrives. I can share my wife's SUV for the interim. But, bureaucratic red tape being what it is, the California DMV "is experiencing a high volume of requests which may cause additional delay." Plus, the car is going to Oregon, which just adds another layer of delay.

As noted above, I have lost a few items I would have wanted on the 2021 order. Truth is, according to the dealer's website, the 2020 is still available. And since no one has the info on 2021 residuals or incentives at this time, I'm hoping it is still available when I'm ready. I will have to compare the numbers on the two and just see what makes sense…

The GLE SUV was truthfully my first choice, over the X5. To me, it looks a little more utilitarian and robust, despite being nearly identical in measurement. But since I left MB nearly 2 years ago, my old dealer is still pouting sour grapes, and didn't feel like playing ball on one like they used to do for me. He actually got a tad snooty with me and made some foul comment about "coming back to MB after making such a bad choice by getting a BMW…" And I really didn't feel like trying to establish a new relationship with a new MB dealer right now. Since my BMW CA is just awesome, BMW gets me back again.

To me, the 6 series had to be the sexiest thing on the road. The convertible just made it ooze sex even more. Of course, now it's the 8 series. Honestly not sure I find it as sexy, just yet. But if I were in the market for a convertible, it would be one-stop shopping for me!

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #19
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, if the commute were not what it is, I'd be staying with the M550i. In addition, we also have a second grandchild now, and while my wife has an SUV for them, if I needed it, she wouldn't be driving my M550i…

I began chatting with my CA earlier in the year, just as the pandemic took ahold, and put in an order for a 2020 X5. Shortly thereafter, I put the M550i on Swap. I had a lot of interest, but mostly everyone wanted to rape me assuming I wanted to dump it, financially, due to the crisis. So, I was getting requests for ridiculous incentives. I had resigned myself to just letting BMW have the M550i back, and paying the difference on the payoff. Then, of course, Spartanburg shut down, so the X5 was delayed indefinitely. Right around the time the plant opened back up and the X5 was actually on its way, I was able to make a fair deal with a Swap buyer. The X5 showed, but now BMW's assumption process is taking much longer than normal. My CA said he was unable to hold the X5 until the process completed (possibly 4-6 weeks according to BMW), and I was unwilling to take the X5. On the off chance the assumption falls through, I do not want to own two cars.

My CA put in an order for a replacement X5, this time a 2021 using one of his first allocations. Her production week starts tomorrow, and she has already moved into stage 3. So now I am hoping the M550i assumption finishes before the X5 arrives. I can share my wife's SUV for the interim. But, bureaucratic red tape being what it is, the California DMV "is experiencing a high volume of requests which may cause additional delay." Plus, the car is going to Oregon, which just adds another layer of delay.

As noted above, I have lost a few items I would have wanted on the 2021 order. Truth is, according to the dealer's website, the 2020 is still available. And since no one has the info on 2021 residuals or incentives at this time, I'm hoping it is still available when I'm ready. I will have to compare the numbers on the two and just see what makes sense…

The GLE SUV was truthfully my first choice, over the X5. To me, it looks a little more utilitarian and robust, despite being nearly identical in measurement. But since I left MB nearly 2 years ago, my old dealer is still pouting sour grapes, and didn't feel like playing ball on one like they used to do for me. He actually got a tad snooty with me and made some foul comment about "coming back to MB after making such a bad choice by getting a BMW…" And I really didn't feel like trying to establish a new relationship with a new MB dealer right now. Since my BMW CA is just awesome, BMW gets me back again.

To me, the 6 series had to be the sexiest thing on the road. The convertible just made it ooze sex even more. Of course, now it's the 8 series. Honestly not sure I find it as sexy, just yet. But if I were in the market for a convertible, it would be one-stop shopping for me!

It is funny you say that....I've starred a few M6 convertibles on Autotrader....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #20
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've starred a few M6 convertibles on Autotrader....

I'll be interested in seeing what you end up with!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #21
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So... if you choose the aluminum dark mesh interior trim, let the site update & remove whatever it wants (such as M Sport), then go back in and add the items back, it will let the build work that way. And the final summary shows it correct.

Obviously the site still has some coding errors, and this is hardly the efficient way of doing things, but hopefully it is not an impossible build...

Per Genius today, my X5 is scheduled to be complete next Monday, the 17th. So, I'm guessing things are correct, and that the supply chain issues are solved.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #22
spyfish007
Rep

Quote:
So... if you choose the aluminum dark mesh interior trim, let the site update & remove whatever it wants (such as M Sport), then go back in and add the items back, it will let the build work that way. And the final summary shows it correct.

Obviously the site still has some coding errors, and this is hardly the efficient way of doing things, but hopefully it is not an impossible build...

Per Genius today, my X5 is scheduled to be complete next Monday, the 17th. So, I'm guessing things are correct, and that the supply chain issues are solved.
I am sure you are eagerly awaiting it to be done.
Appreciate 0