BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Help deciding for upgrade: TSW Aileron 22inch

I'm thinking about doing a wheel upgrade to my 2019 G05 MSport.

Currently have the 741M staggered 21inch wheels and looking to go 22inch (staggered as well).

TSW website shows that the Aileron 22inch wheels fit the G05, but their setup is not exactly the OEM Fit.

Comparing 22inch staggered OEM setup with TSW Aileron staggered setup:

Front wheels: OEM fitment is 22x9.5 ET37 and the Aileron is 22x9 (narrower) ET37 (same ET). That appears to be fine, according to wheel-size.com.

Rear wheels: OEM fitment is 22x10.5 ET43, the Aileron is 22x10.5 (same as OEM) and ET38 (big difference from OEM) and this is is something that concerns me a little (I'm no expert on wheel fitment), wheel-size.com says "Positive scrub radius (about 6 mm). Scrub radius will be changed by 6 mm, this may affect the car's handling. Please check manufacturer recommendations. Please be aware that calculated value is approximate."

Should I not go with these TSW Aileron 22inch staggered fitment? Or will these fit without an issue?

I appreciate your guidance/feedback.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:18 AM   #2
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
I'm thinking about doing a wheel upgrade to my 2019 G05 MSport.

Currently have the 741M staggered 21inch wheels and looking to go 22inch (staggered as well).

TSW website shows that the Aileron 22inch wheels fit the G05, but their setup is not exactly the OEM Fit.

Comparing 22inch staggered OEM setup with TSW Aileron staggered setup:

Front wheels: OEM fitment is 22x9.5 ET37 and the Aileron is 22x9 (narrower) ET37 (same ET). That appears to be fine, according to wheel-size.com.

Rear wheels: OEM fitment is 22x10.5 ET43, the Aileron is 22x10.5 (same as OEM) and ET38 (big difference from OEM) and this is is something that concerns me a little (I'm no expert on wheel fitment), wheel-size.com says "Positive scrub radius (about 6 mm). Scrub radius will be changed by 6 mm, this may affect the car's handling. Please check manufacturer recommendations. Please be aware that calculated value is approximate."

Should I not go with these TSW Aileron 22inch staggered fitment? Or will these fit without an issue?

I appreciate your guidance/feedback.
Since the rear offset is decreasing that means the tire will be recessed into the wheel well more than stock, right? Personally if I went that route I would buy spacers for the rear wheels to make up the difference in offset purely for asthetics.

Also since the fronts are narrower but have the same offset they will also be recessed into the wheel well more than stock.

Great looking rims though.
Appreciate 1
AlexGT416.50
      08-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Since the rear offset is decreasing that means the tire will be recessed into the wheel well more than stock, right? Personally if I went that route I would buy spacers for the rear wheels to make up the difference in offset purely for asthetics.

Also since the fronts are narrower but have the same offset they will also be recessed into the wheel well more than stock.

Great looking rims though.
Thanks for the guidance and suggestions, I really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Front:

Going from a 9.5 et 37 to a 9.0 et 37 will result in the front wheels being 13mm more "tucked" under the car..... which will look terrible.

Rear:

Going from a 10.5 et 43 to a 10.5 et 38 will result in the rear wheels sticking out only 6mm further than stock.... which is perfectly fine.

Nothing "unsafe" about running this setup at all.... but this is just a prime example of a wheel company offering wheels specific to a vehicle, that aren't really specific to that vehicle at all. They have probably marketed those wheels to 100 different vehicles, just because they "technically" fit.

The rears will look fine. Probably better.

The fronts will look awful, and will likely look like they need spacers.... bad. And, you'll actually have LESS tire on the ground than stock. To match the stance of the rear, you'd need to run a 20mm spacer on the front.
Appreciate 1
AlexGT416.50
      08-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Front:

Going from a 9.5 et 37 to a 9.0 et 37 will result in the front wheels being 13mm more "tucked" under the car..... which will look terrible.

Rear:

Going from a 10.5 et 43 to a 10.5 et 38 will result in the rear wheels sticking out only 6mm further than stock.... which is perfectly fine.

Nothing "unsafe" about running this setup at all.... but this is just a prime example of a wheel company offering wheels specific to a vehicle, that aren't really specific to that vehicle at all. They have probably marketed those wheels to 100 different vehicles, just because they "technically" fit.

The fronts will look awful, and will likely look like they need spacers.... bad. And, you'll actually have LESS tire on the ground than stock. To match the stance of the rear, you'd need to run a 20mm spacer on the front.
Cheers, thanks a lot for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #7
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Front:

Rear:

For the fronts the total width is 1/2" more narrow but since the offset stays the same isn't that 1/2" split between the front of the rim and back of the rim? This results in the front wheel being tucked into the well only an additional 1/4" (7.5 mm). Noticeable but not as bad as 13 mm. Am I thinking of it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #8
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Make sure the wheels are hubcentric as well. Some companies claim their wheels are made to fit a vehicle, but they “fit” through the use of a hub adapter ring. This is a heavy vehicle, and you do not want that... it will put too much stress on the wheel bolts.
Appreciate 1
AlexGT416.50
      08-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Make sure the wheels are hubcentric as well. Some companies claim their wheels are made to fit a vehicle, but they “fit” through the use of a hub adapter ring. This is a heavy vehicle, and you do not want that... it will put too much stress on the wheel bolts.
Thanks, you’re right about that, I didn’t consider it
Appreciate 0