BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Pakoris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 2010 E90

X5m Vs M50i

Hi All,

This may have been discussed before. But just wondering what M50i & X5M owners about their love and hate for the models.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Nothing..... even if they were the exact same price.... I still would choose the X5M50i over the X5M.

I mean that.... literally.

Fully dynotuned..... they produce the same power. The X5M50i is just more "detuned" from the factory.

Neither is ever going to be a sportscar..... ever. Neither is ever going to handle like an Exige or a 4C.... no matter what you do. The X5M sure tries though, and they do a great job of making that monster handle well..... while compromising significant levels of comfort.

The "full M" version on smaller 2, 3, 4, and even 5 series?? Yea.... that makes sense, and I can justify it. On a luxury SUV? I can't.

And... no one can argue that the X5M looks better with it's aggressive styling. But, a few aftermarket parts and a few hours of labor.... and you can turn the M50i into a pretty sexy, pretty aggressive SUV.

Minus of course.... seeing an X5M with 22s on the rear, and 21s on the front..... which to me, makes me absolutely CRINGE every time I see it. Most people don't notice..... but once I noticed it, I can't "unsee" it. A little bit of vomit bubbles up every time I think about it... lol.

But.... also with the M50i.... you get an actual, comfortable, luxury SUV..... as it was intended to be.

So what if it doesn't handle curves as well? It wasn't meant to. It's a huge, fat, luxury SUV. Why buy a luxury SUV.... only to have all the "luxury" removed with a harsh suspension?

With the money you save buying an M50i vs. an equally equipped X5M..... you could buy a very nice used sportscar to take to the track.

And you can even pull that sportscar on a trailer behind your M50i..... something else you can't do with an X5M.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 08-10-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 4
UltraDave127.00
Paladin15534.50
haix0.00
      08-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Nothing..... even if they were the exact same price.... I still would choose the X5M50i over the X5M.

Fully dynotuned..... they produce the same power. The X5M50i is just more "detuned" from the factory.

Neither is ever going to be a sportscar..... ever. Neither is ever going to handle like an Exige or a 4C.... no matter what you do. The X5M sure tries though, and they do a great job of making that monster handle well..... while compromising significant levels of comfort.

The "full M" version on smaller 2, 3, 4, and even 5 series?? Yea.... that makes sense, and I can justify it. On a luxury SUV? I can't.

And... no one can argue that the X5M looks better with it's aggressive styling. But, a few aftermarket parts and a few hours of labor.... and you can turn the M50i into a pretty sexy, pretty aggressive SUV.

Minus of course.... seeing an X5M with 22s on the rear, and 21s on the front..... which to me, makes me absolutely CRINGE every time I see it. Most people don't notice..... but once I noticed it, I can't "unsee" it. A little bit of vomit bubbles up every time I think about it... lol.

But.... also with the M50i.... you get an actual, comfortable, luxury SUV..... as it was intended to be.

So what if it doesn't handle curves as well? It wasn't meant to. It's a huge, fat, luxury SUV. Why buy a luxury SUV.... only to have all the "luxury" removed with a harsh suspension?

With the money you save buying an M50i vs. an equally equipped X5M..... you could buy a very nice used sportscar to take to the track.

And you can even pull that sportscar on a trailer behind your M50i..... something else you can't do with an X5M.
I could not have said it any better!
I love the comfort of the M50i and if you want more power just get it tuned
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I agree some of the points and I have a X5M (originally had a M50i on order).

If comfort is what you are after then the X5M isn't the right choice. Its a firm riding suv. Some prefer this and some don't. I personally hate floaty cars and makes me nauseous but with that said I do wish my X5MC in comfort mode rides a tad softer for NYC roads. Its not harsh unless you are on the worst of roads but its a trade off because it can handle like it defies physics. The best way to describe it is if you are use to how a M car handles, its not too far off from that.

I went with the X5MC because I typically modify the heck out of my cars and based on the list of modifications that i had planned for the M50i (94K build) i was getting really close to X5M price. Even after I do everything i wanted to it still wouldn't look as good or as special as the M (Marina Bay Blue rocks!) to me so that's why i went with it. Better looks, more performance with full warranty by BMW.

Its great that BMW offers these two amazing suvs for people to pick and choose. I all comes down to personal preference. X5MC is max performance/luxury all in one package. The M50i is similar with everything dialed down a notch gearing more for comfort.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 08-10-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 4
      08-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

You can get air suspension on the M50i which not only gives it a unbelievably smooth ride but at its lowest and 2nd to lowest settings removes all large fender tire gaps and gives the vehicle a slammed down stance.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:

no disrespect, but have you driven an X5M Competition before?

they are very different cars for different buyers. the m50 is slower to 60 (by about .5 seconds), more Plush on ride comfort , and cheaper. if you're not looking for absolute performance, the m50 would be a great option.

sure you could modify and tune the m50 for similar power, but you can also do the same for the M to make it faster. huge sacrifice to the warranty. I also prefer to have an intact warranty, M diff, bigger brakes, optimized transmission settings and extra cooling that come standard on the M car. when traveling at the speeds the M can achieve, stiffer suspension is key as well for the entire experience.

I test drove both and am over the moon I went for the M. and I don't find it that uncomfortable to drive and I live in MA. I expected a stiff ride and have no complaints at all. my wife and 3 kids fit fine and they have not complained of the ride either. I don't intend to track it ever, maybe just at a drag strip.

to the OP, I'd recommend driving both. if the M50 power is more than enough for you and ride quality is more you're preference, don't bother with the M. if you want more power and performance, and don't mind a different type of ride, you will not be disappointed with the M. it is an absolute rocketship.
Appreciate 1
bmwauug248.50
      08-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

A lot of guys on the M forum shopping for the X5M also test drove the M50i and reported that the overall difference between the two was drastic. Not so much in just power but more so overall driving feel. Going by that a quick test drive would be enough for the OP to figure out if the X5M or the M50i is the right car.
      08-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
A lot of guys on the M forum shopping for the X5M also test drove the M50i and reported that the overall difference between the two was drastic. Not so much in just power but more so overall driving feel. Going by that a quick test drive would be enough for the OP to figure out if the X5M or the M50i is the right car.
I've owned both (albiet each for only about 3 months) and couldn't agree more. Must test drive both if one is unsure. I ended up trading in my 2020 X5MC after only a few months and got a 2020 M50i because, for me, I needed a softer ride. Having said that, the X5MC is AWESOME in so many ways.
Appreciate 1
bmwauug248.50
      08-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Full M vehicles are very different in many ways. Engines are not the same to start with, actual components are different. Also other items on the drive line suspension are different. Part numbers not the same stamps and shape are not the same. As close as they might seem on paper or in person they are very different. Basically the M50 is a tuned 50i and the X5M is a whole other vehicle.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Yeah, I like M50i better than a full-fledged M simply because it offers more comfort at the expense of more power (and I saved a lot of money). Although both are ludicrously fast.

The air suspension was a key part.

Maybe I would lean more towards the M if it also offered air and the comfort setting was a bit softer. I also agree that the comfort mode in the M50i is too floaty, but the sport mode is perfect. For perspective, the sport mode in the M50i is a lot softer than the comfort mode in the M when I tested it.

If you really don’t care about badge envy and want something that is both fast (or fast enough) and comfortable, get the M50i.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Full M vehicles are very different in many ways. Engines are not the same to start with, actual components are different. Also other items on the drive line suspension are different. Part numbers not the same stamps and shape are not the same. As close as they might seem on paper or in person they are very different. Basically the M50 is a tuned 50i and the X5M is a whole other vehicle.

Yup. This is where the whole “Full M” status crap means nothing. “M” is not a top tier label in BMW land but rather a “idea” of performance ideology in power, braking, and handling. It’s the right tool for the job rather than one tool is “better” than another. This is why BMW developed the concept of degrees of M performance into their luxury cars.
The true ultimate flagship of BMW land is the M760i and it is not a “full M” nor should it be.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4537.00
      08-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I drive an M50i - I absolutely love it. The only thing I would change about it is the second row. I have two young kids (5 and 1) and with the car seats, it's tight back there. I wish I had the option to slide the 2nd row back or if there was 1 or 2 more inches - that would be ideal.

Other than that the car is fabulous. I've never had a car before that I would just leave the house to go for a drive - just for the sake of driving it. The car is great!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Yup. This is where the whole “Full M” status crap means nothing. “M” is not a top tier label in BMW land but rather a “idea” of performance ideology in power, braking, and handling. It’s the right tool for the job rather than one tool is “better” than another. This is why BMW developed the concept of degrees of M performance into their luxury cars.
The true ultimate flagship of BMW land is the M760i and it is not a “full M” nor should it be.
Couldn't have said it better! If one is looking for comfort they would probably advise staying away from any Full M vehicle. It all starts at taste/needs and ends at taste/needs. To me I am power oriented, sport inspired and enjoy a rough ride, so to me the X5M will be the cream of the crop. The issue with this comparison is its not really a comparison in the equal sense.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
It’s the right tool for the job rather than one tool is “better” than another. This is why BMW developed the concept of degrees of M performance into their luxury cars.
Couldn't agree more.
      08-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #15
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve driven full fat M cars for the last decade and consider myself an M snob. However when I was picking the X5 I just didn’t see the point in the extra ££££ for the X5M. Money no object Id probably have one as I love the looks and exhaust note but at the end of the day it’s an SUV so never going to be of the same driving ilk as the M2, 3 4 or 5.

To that end I felt the M50i was the better option for what I wanted; a luxury dog hauler than could still be driven hard with some fun V8 noise and sub 4 second power.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Great thread. I am in the process of narrowing down my choice between X5MC and M50i. I am rolling out of my X5 50i lease in a couple of months and was ready to order a 21 X5 M50i, but unbelievably, BMW has dropped a bunch of options on the MY21 that were available on the MY20, consisting of full leather package, soft close doors, heated and cooled cup holders, acoustic glass, etc. I was disappointed when I discovered this. I was able to test drive an X5MC and man, I was blown away. The acceleration is insane, the interior fit and finish is vastly better than my X5, and the ride was not harsh at all to me....I have owned 2 X5Ms in the past, but the new X5M is much better, IMO. So I’m definitely on the fence now, as to which way to go..But both vehicles are awesome!!
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #17
Pakoris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 2010 E90

Great feedback. And lots of important points.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #18
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep

Just get an x5m50i with DHP. I absolutely love mine. Corners very flat in sport and flat enough to not make my wife complain in adaptive. it's perfect for suburban and highway roads. Steering makes it very agile.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #19
screamace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M Competition

Garage List
Believe it or not, I chose X5MC over M50i because of the looks:
* Exterior color: Marina Bay Blue is stunning! And the only color for M50i I like is Tanzanite Blue and that's a bit too dark
* Exterior style: Much more aggressive bodylines and I have a soft spot for 4 round-exhaust tips
* Interior: I dislike wood trims. So F95 carbon fiber beats G05 aluminum hexagon hands down
* Interior: Like the details in F95, seats, seatbelt, M buttons, etc.

I was certain I'm going to enjoy either driving-wise. So made the decision based on aesthetics (and the fact that F95 is much rarer than G05 on the road).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:18 AM   #20
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
no disrespect, but have you driven an X5M Competition before?

they are very different cars for different buyers. the m50 is slower to 60 (by about .5 seconds), more Plush on ride comfort , and cheaper. if you're not looking for absolute performance, the m50 would be a great option.

sure you could modify and tune the m50 for similar power, but you can also do the same for the M to make it faster. huge sacrifice to the warranty. I also prefer to have an intact warranty, M diff, bigger brakes, optimized transmission settings and extra cooling that come standard on the M car. when traveling at the speeds the M can achieve, stiffer suspension is key as well for the entire experience.

I test drove both and am over the moon I went for the M. and I don't find it that uncomfortable to drive and I live in MA. I expected a stiff ride and have no complaints at all. my wife and 3 kids fit fine and they have not complained of the ride either. I don't intend to track it ever, maybe just at a drag strip.

to the OP, I'd recommend driving both. if the M50 power is more than enough for you and ride quality is more you're preference, don't bother with the M. if you want more power and performance, and don't mind a different type of ride, you will not be disappointed with the M. it is an absolute rocketship.
Not a new one.... but I've driven the previous version X5M..... it rode incredibly harsh, and still didn't handle as well as my 340i.... not even an M3. You can counteract physics, and make it handle great "for an SUV".... but it will never be what I consider a "good handling car". It's a big fat SUV. You can't defy basic physics. Otherwise.... it was just harsh, uncomfortable, and IMO.... pointless.

Tuned M50i and tuned X5MC = same power. With fuel, boost, and timing optimized on a dyno.... they both produce the same power... between 680 and 700. I'm at 690.... the same company that dynotuned my M50i... did the same for a new X5MC... and got the same numbers.

M50i comes with same M diff and brakes. Very little difference.

With an X5MC..... you get cool body panels, cool bumpers, cool seats, a harsh ride, and a badge.

With an M50i.... you get OPTIONS. Air suspension, excellent comfort, trailer hitch, cheaper insurance.... and a LOT cheaper price tag.

For $10k more.... I could justify the aggressive appearance of the X5MC, and all the aesthetics. They look great, no doubt. Even if you are willing to sacrifice comfort.

But people are paying 25k more? 30k more? For what? Cool bumpers? With the $30k I saved...I could buy a Lotus Elise, and a trailer.... and tow it to the track behind my M50i.... and beat the crap out of both the X5MC and the M50i on anything but a straight line.

In a straight line? With a little tuning.... they are both exactly the same.

Not bashing the X5MC.... it's a beautiful, impressive car. I don't consider it practical for an SUV though..... and definitely don't think it justifies the premium price tag.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 08-11-2020 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 3
Unit218.50
ATX510.50
Paladin15534.50
      08-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #21
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't consider it practical for an SUV though..... and definitely don't think it justifies the premium price tag.
I don't thinking the X5 is "practical" to begin with if you look at it from that perspective, there are many great SUV's out there that will get everything done for a MUCH lower cost of the X5. I think here what the luxury brands (not just BMW) have is a audience that wants the unpractical.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Lets not turn this into the 3 series forum where 340 and M3 guys argue all day long about which is better.

Not everyone has the space or use for a suv and a sports car in the garage so if you need to have the ultimate package in one car the the X5M serves this purpose.

Is the car worth 20K more than a M50i? Thats up to the buyer. Nobody needs a 90-120K SUV honestly. For me i was going to spend 10-15K in mods for the M50i anyway so I decided I rather just get the M instead because its a lot better looking and more unique.

Just because it doesn't handle as well as a M3 doesn't mean its not a good handling car and doesn't make it pointless imo. I drive the same roads and highways with my M3 and my X5MC and i enjoy both because of how they feel/handle. Just because you are in a suv doesn't mean you need to make it handle like suv.

Alan