BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #111
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Glad to hear that you have calmed down. You made some good points and I would expect a lot from a vehicle at this price point.

Also good to hear that your not a Russian Bot
Are we SURE not Russian???
Think a special council needs to be appointed.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13462.00
      02-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #112
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Picked up our car today and we're blown away by the very fine iDrive tech which works perfectly, ride, comfort, fine looking rear seats and the damn thing takes off like a rocket. What a refined beast!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #113
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
Picked up our car today and we're blown away by the very fine iDrive tech which works perfectly, ride, comfort, fine looking rear seats and the damn thing takes off like a rocket. What a refined beast!
Which model did you get again, and how was your instructor?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #114
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
40i. During a test drive I applied the foot throttle about halfway down and literally laid out my wife, sales rep and me into the seats.

No instructor. You don't need one just a good rep to walk you thru the basics. The iDrive system is very refined and easy to use. The options of each item are intuitive. Our sales rep who's been with ops like Audi, Lexus, Porsche said it's the easiest infotainment system he's used and I believe it. I was really afraid of a steep learning curve based on the hype you read around here which I'll admit am guilty of based on ill conceived predisposed notions as a non owner. You have to own it to appreciate the refinements.

Piece of cake.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #115
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Quote:
40i. During a test drive I applied the foot throttle about halfway down and literally laid out my wife, sales rep and me into the seats.

No instructor. You don't need one just a good rep to walk you thru the basics. The iDrive system is very refined and easy to use. The options of each item are intuitive. Our sales rep who's been with ops like Audi, Lexus, Porsche said it's the easiest infotainment system he's used and I believe it. I was really afraid of a steep learning curve based on the hype you read around here which I'll admit am guilty of based on ill conceived predisposed notions as a non owner. You have to own it to appreciate the refinements.

Piece of cake.
Pics plz...congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #116
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
Pics plz...congrats
Bed time. Will do a thread tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #117
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Piece of cake.
Did someone hack your account? This is so far removed from the tone of your usual posts.

I'm in awe.
Appreciate 5
rebekahb3140.50
wrickem2101.00
sygazelle11472.00
      02-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #118
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsWhaHaeWi View Post
I'm looking at replacing the Bridgestone a/s RFTs (20") with summer tires (non rft, I got the spare tire option) to improve the ride, which has (IMHO) got some harshness in it that wasn't as apparent in my F15 with pzeros.

Other things that contributed to my annoyance: BMW store not available, digital key not available with iPhone (according to genius who said forget it for now), Laser lights not being very noticeable despite the marketing.
What suspension do you have? I'm in the heavier 50i with DHP ie active dampers and steel springs riding on 21" RFT P Zeros. Roads here suck to say the least and the ride is great. I don't know what must be wrong (yes I'm being serious) on the roads for 20" wheels to ride poorly.

As for the digital key that's 100% on Apple. Samsung uses a secure element which is a hardware element. They have this for Samsung Pay + Knoxx if I'm not mistaken. Since it's a proprietary system and other phones tend to use different forms of secure partitions it's unlikely. Other Android phones don't work as digital keys for the record. If Apple adds a secure element then I'm sure it'll be supported

Also if you're having BT issues I'd blame the phone before your car. I've tried 4 different devices (Samsung S9+, Note 8 iPhone 8, iPhone 8 plus) and they all held connectivity no problem. If you get that issue again try rebooting the phone and or iDrive.

The Atlas is alright, I looked at one for fun when they launched. It's like a cheaper Audi with fake plastic wood trim, lower res screens etc. For the money VW made as good suv, although it's nowhere near the X5. VWs seats like Audi's aren't comfortable speaking from experience.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #119
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

I made some comparisons to my daughters new Atlas. Sorry for blaspheming, but for $32k, she got a level of tech that was not terribly short of that in my G05. Assisted driving..check (and works about the same) Easy to use touchscreen and infotainment...check. And quite a smooth ride. Put it this way...after driving my G05, daughter and SIL were feeling really good about their Atlas purchase and I was feeling a bit vexed about my 2.5x more expensive G05 purchase.
I totally get how you felt and I think this has been my biggest struggle with pulling the trigger. There is a lot of tech in vehicles that I would have never dreamed of considering even just 3 years ago. For most of ya'll on this forum who are die hard BMW owners will scoff at this. For me, I've never owned a BMW simply because I thought their interiors were hideous for years. I didn't care how they drove or what was under the hood. I will say BMW has done a bang up job bringing the interior of the X5 up to date. Is it worth almost 2-3X the cost of some vehicles? I guess it depends on where you like to spend your money. At the end of the day, we all have opinions and choices of what we want to spend our money on. It's what makes the world go round. I'm happy you have cooled down and people think you're somewhat real
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2019, 03:45 AM   #120
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
What suspension do you have? I'm in the heavier 50i with DHP ie active dampers and steel springs riding on 21" RFT P Zeros. Roads here suck to say the least and the ride is great. I don't know what must be wrong (yes I'm being serious) on the roads for 20" wheels to ride poorly.

As for the digital key that's 100% on Apple. Samsung uses a secure element which is a hardware element. They have this for Samsung Pay + Knoxx if I'm not mistaken. Since it's a proprietary system and other phones tend to use different forms of secure partitions it's unlikely. Other Android phones don't work as digital keys for the record. If Apple adds a secure element then I'm sure it'll be supported

Also if you're having BT issues I'd blame the phone before your car. I've tried 4 different devices (Samsung S9+, Note 8 iPhone 8, iPhone 8 plus) and they all held connectivity no problem. If you get that issue again try rebooting the phone and or iDrive.

The Atlas is alright, I looked at one for fun when they launched. It's like a cheaper Audi with fake plastic wood trim, lower res screens etc. For the money VW made as good suv, although it's nowhere near the X5. VWs seats like Audi's aren't comfortable speaking from experience.
I have the msport with 20” Bridgetones, regular suspension. I’d say it’s not poor, just a bit shy of the F15, which improved when I put on the pzeros. I can’t remember what was stock on the F15, but pzeros were a great improvement. So I’m faulting the tires for now. From everything I’ve read, going to non rft ought to help.

Not for sure, but the connectivity thing seemed to rear its head when both our iPhone Xs were connected with one playing music and the other making/receiving calls. It hasn’t occurred since, but we’ve not replicated the heavy idrive/CarPlay/phone calls since, either. I’ll report if it does. Thanks for your pointers.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #121
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
My G05 ping pongs on the open highway to the point of causing mild nausea.
you should have that checked. So mine definitely doesn’t ping pong. Only issue I noticed was a slowly gyrating wheel but I now notice it’s the car tracking the idiot in front of me that can’t drive straight. I can’t believe the amount of people who wander in the lane, never really noticed before. . Thanks now I have a new pet peeve

Lane keep assist still isn’t better than Mercedes but it better now that I restrict steering intervention to under 40 mph. I don’t get scared of it smacking me into the divider anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #122
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Did someone hack your account? This is so far removed from the tone of your usual posts.

I'm in awe.

That's what happens when I internalize some of the many negative comments in this forum. I do the same thing when shopping Amazon. One negative customer comment can turn me away from what is really a great product.

Bottom line - TAKE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS IN THIS FORUM WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

Had a discussion with my rep about this forum stuff, much of it hype and conjecture based on ignorance and again, I'm guilty as charged. He said none of the G05 he's sold have had any bugs.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #123
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree. We paired our two Huawei Honor phones, disconnected for kicks, paired again and had no problems. Transfer of all content from the phones to the car took seconds.

Off topic - don't believe the anti Huawei hacking hype. There is no evidence, just propaganda. The threat is monetary. It all boils down to the only 2 companies that are bigger than Huawei (Apple and Samsung). it's the threat that the Americans corps. feel because Huawei is so far ahead tech wise with their wonderful devices and their push for world dominance regarding 5g. You couldn't pry our hands from the incredible Honor phones and the Apple Matebook killer, Huawei's MateBook X Pro.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #124
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Agree. We paired our two Huawei Honor phones, disconnected for kicks, paired again and had no problems. Transfer of all content from the phones to the car took seconds.

Off topic - don't believe the anti Huawei hacking hype. There is no evidence, just propaganda. The threat is monetary. It all boils down to the only 2 companies that are bigger than Huawei (Apple and Samsung). it's the threat that the Americans corps. feel because Huawei is so far ahead tech wise with their wonderful devices and their push for world dominance regarding 5g. You couldn't pry our hands from the incredible Honor phones and the Apple Matebook killer, Huawei's MateBook X Pro.
I've owned Huawei phones and not a huge fan after their horrible Nexus 6P they made for Google. I'm not a huge Samsung a fan in terms of software, their hardware is excellent though. No one else better panels than Samsung's AMOLED on their phones. I've owned around 40 phones from the likes of HTC, LG, Apple, Samsung, Google, Huawei, Xiaomi, Asus etc This time around I'm sticking with Samsung. I got a S10+ in Ceramic White
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #125
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Gravely disappointed with Huawei?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #126
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

The threat from Huawei is real - not the company but their communist government.
Change the Chinese government to a democratic government and the threat from Huawei would mostly disappear.
Don't kid yourself that the Chinese vendor issue is nonsense.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1707.50
mnewnam269.50
      02-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #127
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post

I'm in awe.
New Meds. He's on G05 now

Quote:

That's what happens when I internalize some of the many negative comments in this forum. I do the same thing when shopping Amazon. One negative customer comment can turn me away from what is really a great product.

Bottom line - TAKE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS IN THIS FORUM WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

Had a discussion with my rep about this forum stuff, much of it hype and conjecture based on ignorance and again, I'm guilty as charged. He said none of the G05 he's sold have had any bugs.
INTERNALIZE?! You took any little complaint, expanded on it and RAN with it spreading it like a plague around here! I'd call that externalize. I'm giving you back your fleas now

I'm glad you like your new X5 though, many happy, trouble free and safe miles together
sygazelle11472.00
      02-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #128
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I have the msport with 20” Bridgetones, regular suspension. I’d say it’s not poor, just a bit shy of the F15, which improved when I put on the pzeros. I can’t remember what was stock on the F15, but pzeros were a great improvement. So I’m faulting the tires for now. From everything I’ve read, going to non rft ought to help.

Not for sure, but the connectivity thing seemed to rear its head when both our iPhone Xs were connected with one playing music and the other making/receiving calls. It hasn’t occurred since, but we’ve not replicated the heavy idrive/CarPlay/phone calls since, either. I’ll report if it does. Thanks for your pointers.
Did you have the same size wheels on your F15? Bridgestone tires are far from my favorite, Michelin comes first, then Pirelli both of which you can get with the stock 20" wheels since 275/45 R20 is a common sized tire. You have the same suspension as my 50i: active dampers under steel springs so the ride should he compliant with good tires. As I mentioned my RFT P Zero summer tires on the car now are decent and handle bumps way better than my X3 M40i did and that rode on non RFTs

Sounds good, iDrive is still buggy, I reboot mine about once daily to fix issues. I'm not a die-hard BMW fan, I buy what works for me and lately that's been BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #129
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
What vehicle did you drive previously, i.e what are you comparing it to? Can't really believe the 40i is that fast....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #130
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria22 View Post
What vehicle did you drive previously, i.e what are you comparing it to? Can't really believe the 40i is that fast....
It is. On our test drive the first time I stepped on it a little it threw my wife back into her seat as she was not sitting back. We both looked at each other and started smiling.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #131
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've owned Huawei phones and not a huge fan after their horrible Nexus 6P they made for Google. I'm not a huge Samsung a fan in terms of software, their hardware is excellent though. No one else better panels than Samsung's AMOLED on their phones. I've owned around 40 phones from the likes of HTC, LG, Apple, Samsung, Google, Huawei, Xiaomi, Asus etc This time around I'm sticking with Samsung. I got a S10+ in Ceramic White
Samsung is excellent but not a good value. Honor phones are and of the highest quality. We have the Honor 8 and 7X. Camera quality is unreal, voice quality is better than a land line, great interface....... AMOLED is fine and dandy, so is Corning glass 4. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #132
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria22 View Post
The 40i engine will literally nail you back into the seat. I was shocked. I aint complaining, I love it, BUT, it's almost ridiculous to have such power for a road car, just not needed. One reason is the traction of the AWD. You'll get your best rocket experience on dry, warm roads too, not cold and wet.
Appreciate 0