BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #133
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
I'm already waiting more then 2 months for some D2 forged wheels with custom specs and production hasn't started yet..
D2 Forged Wheels?
I thought they went out of business 6- 8 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #134
l2ich
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i Msports

Looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:31 AM   #135
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

And....... front windows ceramic tinted. The owner of the place talked me in to a "slightly" lighter shade, even though I went in with 20% in mind..... he was 100% certain the cops would target me.

I argued that my 340i had dark tint, and no one ever said a word to me.

He argued that 3-series' are everywhere, and X5s are virtually non-existent.... and "high end" X5s are even more rare..... and I'd likely be assumed to be Russian Mafia, or a drug dealer.

He convinced me. I took his advice.

Nevertheless, quite happy with the results.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
GlennC321.00
      07-31-2020, 06:52 AM   #136
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

With a 50i you would.

Everybody was waiting for the 45e for tax reasons and now you see them more and more.

Contractors, doctors, lawyers, all independent workers wanting to drive a big SUV but didn't want to trow a big sum of money in the bottom less treasure chest of the Belgian country.

Tinting front windows is illegal in Belgium. And when they do a controle on your car they might even check if your tow hook had its check controle 😜and that you don't have spacers on your rear tires. Which are illegal too. And also easy to spot by the way. 🤔.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:58 AM   #137
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
With a 50i you would.

Everybody was waiting for the 45e for tax reasons and now you see them more and more.

Contractors, doctors, lawyers, all independent workers wanting to drive a big SUV but didn't want to trow a big sum of money in the bottom less treasure chest of the Belgian country.
Yes... agreed...... up North in Flanders and Brussels.

I live near Mons.... 20 minutes from the French border. You know, the poorest district in all of Western Europe. I would give ANYTHING to live up in Northern Bergium. It's absolutely beautiful, the people are some of the friendliest I've ever come across, it's safe.... it's amazing up there.

Not down where I live. It's awful down here. The entire region is incredibly poverty-stricken. Most of the cars on the road are barely even road-worthy. Crime is rampant down here.

Regarding CT: I don't have to deal with CT, or taxes... at all. By the time my car comes up for a CT inspection, I'll be long gone back to the US, or to another European country. I paid 0% VAT when I bought it. 0% road tax, no CT inspection, and I even buy gasoline at the US prices, not European prices. If any of that applied to me, I would have never bought this car in the first place.

My biggest fear at this point..... is a douchebag cop that makes me scrape it off.... in which case, I'll do it... and then just have more put back on the next day. I'm not terribly concerned about it.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 07-31-2020 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #138
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
With a 50i you would.

Yes... agreed...... up North in Flanders and Brussels.

I live near Mons.... 20 minutes from the French border. You know, the poorest district in all of Western Europe. I would give ANYTHING to live up in Northern Bergium. It's absolutely beautiful, the people are some of the friendliest I've ever come across, it's safe.... it's amazing up there.

Not down where I live. It's awful down here. The entire region is incredibly poverty-stricken. Most of the cars on the road are barely even road-worthy. Crime is rampant down here.

Regarding CT: I don't have to deal with CT, or taxes... at all. By the time my car comes up for a CT inspection, I'll be long gone back to the US, or to another European country. I paid 0% VAT when I bought it. 0% road tax, no CT inspection, and I even buy gasoline at the US prices, not European prices. If any of that applied to me, I would have never bought this car in the first place.

My biggest fear at this point..... is a douchebag cop that makes me scrape it off.... in which case, I'll do it... and then just have more put back on the next day. I'm not terribly concerned about it.
Haha you already learned the Belgian way to handle things

Mons is not comparable where we live indeed.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #139
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

So what brand, type and % tint is this? Looks really good, I would think it was 20% since the pic is in full sun.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:13 PM   #140
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
So what brand, type and % tint is this? Looks really good, I would think it was 20% since the pic is in full sun.
I'm embarrassed to admit, I actually don't know. I know it's 35% ceramic tint, and I know the picture appears a bit darker than IRL, but the color & reflection match the rear windows nicely.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #141
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
The joys of being stationed overseas!

That tint looks great by the way...pretty good match with the rears.
      08-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #142
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCwell3er View Post
The joys of being stationed overseas!

That tint looks great by the way...pretty good match with the rears.
Thanks! I mean..... yes and no. I get HUGE tax benefits by European standards.... but I'm essentially paying what I would in the US, except insurance is much higher here..... especially where I live because of the high crime rate, and the fact that 50% of the people on the road don't have insurance at all.

I mean..... I'm not a European though, so it wouldn't really be fair to pay all those taxes, when I'm not from here, and I don't get any benefits that a Belgian would.

It's not all good. I live in arguably, one of the (if not the) worst place in Europe to be: Southern Belgium. A 1-hour drive in virtually any direction is beautiful (including Northern Belgium)..... but frequent travel away from where I live is a necessity to stay sane.

Still..... love being in Europe. I spent 20 years in the USAF, and was never stationed overseas (except a 1 year unaccompanied remote tour in Korea).... Plenty of TDYs for a few weeks at a time all over the world....but I had to retire, and finally get orders as a civilian to actually get "stationed" in Europe.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #143
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to admit, I actually don't know. I know it's 35% ceramic tint, and I know the picture appears a bit darker than IRL, but the color & reflection match the rear windows nicely.
Gotcha, I have 35% of the world's lighted ceramic tint I feel.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:32 AM   #144
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I mean..... yes and no. I get HUGE tax benefits by European standards.... but I'm essentially paying what I would in the US, except insurance is much higher here..... especially where I live because of the high crime rate, and the fact that 50% of the people on the road don't have insurance at all.

Still..... love being in Europe. I spent 20 years in the USAF, and was never stationed overseas (except a 1 year unaccompanied remote tour in Korea).... Plenty of TDYs for a few weeks at a time all over the world....but I had to retire, and finally get orders as a civilian to actually get "stationed" in Europe.
Ok, I get it. I wouldn't want to live in that area...but at least you're able to drive and get away for a bit. It's funny that after all that time you spent in the AF, you get Europe AFTER retiring. lol I'm on my third overseas tour (previous two was Japan and Korea). I came in to travel overseas so I had to make sure I get mine in before I call it quits.
      08-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #145
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I get it. I wouldn't want to live in that area...but at least you're able to drive and get away for a bit. It's funny that after all that time you spent in the AF, you get Europe AFTER retiring. lol I'm on my third overseas tour (previous two was Japan and Korea). I came in to travel overseas so I had to make sure I get mine in before I call it quits.
None of my business, and I have no idea how long you've been in.... but I used to speak at the Transition Assistance Programs when I was still active duty, and even now, I do quite a bit of military transition assistance counseling on LinkedIn to folks getting ready to retire or separate.

My advice..... is don't. If you are over the 10-year hump.... stick it out. It doesn't matter your rank - No one cares after you retire. I turned down lowly E-7, and retired as an even lowlier E-6, because I refused to spend 1 day longer than I absolutely had to to officially retire.... then tripled my income overnight and went directly into supervising an 18-person team of E-8s to O-4s. I did precisely 20yrs and 28 days (I was counting, closely. I hated wearing the uniform).... but I did it.

It's not the money.... it's the HEALTHCARE. I had no idea what civilians were paying until after I retired, and I could have retired an E-1, and the healthcare alone would have still been worth it.

Sorry for going off-topic..... but I always jump on things like this when I see them. Stick it out till you retire, and healthcare is something you'll never have to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:48 AM   #146
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
None of my business, and I have no idea how long you've been in.... but I used to speak at the Transition Assistance Programs when I was still active duty, and even now, I do quite a bit of military transition assistance counseling on LinkedIn to folks getting ready to retire or separate.

My advice..... is don't. If you are over the 10-year hump.... stick it out. It doesn't matter your rank - No one cares after you retire. I turned down lowly E-7, and retired as an even lowlier E-6, because I refused to spend 1 day longer than I absolutely had to to officially retire.... then tripled my income overnight and went directly into supervising an 18-person team of E-8s to O-4s. I did precisely 20yrs and 28 days (I was counting, closely. I hated wearing the uniform).... but I did it.

It's not the money.... it's the HEALTHCARE. I had no idea what civilians were paying until after I retired, and I could have retired an E-1, and the healthcare alone would have still been worth it.

Sorry for going off-topic..... but I always jump on things like this when I see them. Stick it out till you retire, and healthcare is something you'll never have to worry about.
I completely agree with you. Those health benefits are everything! I'm about to hit 22 yrs in a couple weeks, so retirement is the only way I'm going out. The wife retired two years ago...she, like you, was ready to be done right at 20. I think she finished with 20 yrs and 3 days. lol I've enjoyed my time in and I'm still enjoying it...but I know in a couple years I'll be ready to be done. I'm looking forward to that civilian life like lol
      08-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #147
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree with you. Those health benefits are everything! I'm about to hit 22 yrs in a couple weeks, so retirement is the only way I'm going out. The wife retired two years ago...she, like you, was ready to be done right at 20. I think she finished with 20 yrs and 3 days. lol I've enjoyed my time in and I'm still enjoying it...but I know in a couple years I'll be ready to be done. I'm looking forward to that civilian life like lol
Awesome. Good position to be in. Stick it out as long as life is good..... and as soon as you get deployment orders, or an assignment to "Shithole Pasture, USA".... dump your retirement paperwork and bail.

I did the "Defense contractor" gig for 2 years.... "straight civilian, no gov't affiliation" route for over 3 years, and I've been back with the gov't as a GS civilian for about 2 years now. All have pros and cons. What the civilian world lacks in politics and bureaucracy.... they make up for with incompetence and backstabbing. While defense contracting pays well, the stability is non-existent. Choose your poison.

One thing is certain though.... being a civilian is DEFINITELY better, no matter how you look at it.

Stay safe man....
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #148
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Awesome. Good position to be in. Stick it out as long as life is good..... and as soon as you get deployment orders, or an assignment to "Shithole Pasture, USA".... dump your retirement paperwork and bail.

I did the "Defense contractor" gig for 2 years.... "straight civilian, no gov't affiliation" route for over 3 years, and I've been back with the gov't as a GS civilian for about 2 years now. All have pros and cons. What the civilian world lacks in politics and bureaucracy.... they make up for with incompetence and backstabbing. While defense contracting pays well, the stability is non-existent. Choose your poison.

One thing is certain though.... being a civilian is DEFINITELY better, no matter how you look at it.

Stay safe man....
Nice job. I decided to leave active duty a while back and go into the Reserves. It’s the best of both worlds, especially being self employed allows me to work as much as I want.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #149
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

914, out of curiousity, why did you chose the Vredestein tire over the insanely well rated PS4? Was it the size options? I know the Vredestein is available in a 295x30 but the PS4 is only 295x25 or 285x30.

I am in the process of finalizing some choices for wheels and tires, so I am curious. I wish the PS4 had that 295x30.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #150
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
914, out of curiousity, why did you chose the Vredestein tire over the insanely well rated PS4? Was it the size options? I know the Vredestein is available in a 295x30 but the PS4 is only 295x25 or 285x30.

I am in the process of finalizing some choices for wheels and tires, so I am curious. I wish the PS4 had that 295x30.
I knew I wanted to run the widest tires possible. I'm not into the "stretched tire" look... I like more of a "muscle car" look. I was more concerned with ultra-wide width than I was with brand.... as long as the brand is "decent". Anyway.... I chose my rear wheel and tire sizes before I chose my front wheel sizes, ironically..... because I had to make sure I could get a set of all 4 tires in a matching brand, as well as close enough in overall diameter. I knew I wanted to run a 22x12 in the rear, with a 335 tire.... so I had about 30 wheel/tire combos written down in various front wheel options, ranging from 9" wide, to 10.5" wide.

I also had to find a retailer that would ship to an APO address (which means, only TireRack) That meant, a 335/25 on the rear, and a 295/30 on the front. I actually bought my tires several months before I bought my wheels, already knowing I was going to buy 22x10.5 front wheels, and 22x12 rear wheels. In fact, I hadn't even decided on which wheels I wanted yet... but I knew the size I wanted.

Ultimately, the look I was going for is "ultra-beefy"... lol. Fat tires, with busy/complex wheels. Hence, the reason I chose the Vossen HF-2 wheels.

At the time, there were only 3 brands on the market that TireRack sold in the sizes I wanted..... that offered everything I needed/wanted:

1. ST3s, which at the time, tire rack was out of stock
2. Chinese garbage.... which I refuse to buy
3. Vredersteins.

Then.... I began the hunt locally..... which means paying Belgian taxes, and Belgian markup..... which is 50% more than the USA price.

Unless you know a guy.... who knows a guy that owns a shop.... that can get tires, tax free, so long as you are willing to pay cash with no receipt. I was, and I did. Where I live, people are VERY poor, and the taxes are some of the highest in the world. A LOTTTTTT of businesses love to work on a cash basis, because they don't have to report the income to the gov't. Same story with my ceramic window tint..... same story with painting the new door on the "beater" I restored while I was waiting for my X5 to arrive. Cash is king here.

Vredersteins were the only tires in those sizes that I could get locally..... and were about 20% cheaper than I could get them from TireRack..... which is unheard of. Perhaps because they are made right next door in the Netherlands? Not sure.... but I couldn't pass up a price of less than $1200 for all 4 tires.... installed.

I've read the Vrederstein reviews..... and they are actually very good. They are newer, and haven't been tested and promoted nearly as much as Michelins.... but what testing they have undergone, has been quite positive. Since then, I've also learned that the #1 complaint on the ST3s is that they have ZERO rim protection. While initially, they were my 1st choice, I think I lucked out by choosing the Vredersteins anyway.

My wheels are actually DONE as of yesterday, and should be shipping out Monday. I'm excited to get them put all together. I'm epoxy-painting the calipers, installing BBM drop links, upgrading brake pads, and installing the wheels..... all in 1 shot.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 08-08-2020 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #151
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I knew I wanted to run the widest tires possible. I'm not into the "stretched tire" look... I like more of a "muscle car" look. I was more concerned with ultra-wide width than I was with brand.... as long as the brand is "decent". Anyway.... I chose my rear wheel and tire sizes before I chose my front wheel sizes, ironically..... because I had to make sure I could get a set of all 4 tires in a matching brand, as well as close enough in overall diameter. I knew I wanted to run a 22x12 in the rear, with a 335 tire.... so I had about 30 wheel/tire combos written down in various front wheel options, ranging from 9" wide, to 10.5" wide.

I also had to find a retailer that would ship to an APO address (which means, only TireRack) That meant, a 335/25 on the rear, and a 295/30 on the front. I actually bought my tires several months before I bought my wheels, already knowing I was going to buy 22x10.5 front wheels, and 22x12 rear wheels. In fact, I hadn't even decided on which wheels I wanted yet... but I knew the size I wanted.

Ultimately, the look I was going for is "ultra-beefy"... lol. Fat tires, with busy/complex wheels. Hence, the reason I chose the Vossen HF-2 wheels.

At the time, there were only 3 brands on the market that TireRack sold in the sizes I wanted..... that offered everything I needed/wanted:

1. ST3s, which at the time, tire rack was out of stock
2. Chinese garbage.... which I refuse to buy
3. Vredersteins.

Then.... I began the hunt locally..... which means paying Belgian taxes, and Belgian markup..... which is 50% more than the USA price.

Unless you know a guy.... who knows a guy that owns a shop.... that can get tires, tax free, so long as you are willing to pay cash with no receipt. I was, and I did. Where I live, people are VERY poor, and the taxes are some of the highest in the world. A LOTTTTTT of businesses love to work on a cash basis, because they don't have to report the income to the gov't. Same story with my ceramic window tint..... same story with painting the new door on the "beater" I restored while I was waiting for my X5 to arrive. Cash is king here.

Vredersteins were the only tires in those sizes that I could get locally..... and were about 20% cheaper than I could get them from TireRack..... which is unheard of. Perhaps because they are made right next door in the Netherlands? Not sure.... but I couldn't pass up a price of less than $1200 for all 4 tires.... installed.

I've read the Vrederstein reviews..... and they are actually very good. They are newer, and haven't been tested and promoted nearly as much as Michelins.... but what testing they have undergone, has been quite positive. Since then, I've also learned that the #1 complaint on the ST3s is that they have ZERO rim protection. While initially, they were my 1st choice, I think I lucked out by choosing the Vredersteins anyway.

My wheels are actually DONE as of yesterday, and should be shipping out Monday. I'm excited to get them put all together. I'm epoxy-painting the calipers, installing BBM drop links, upgrading brake pads, and installing the wheels..... all in 1 shot.
I am in the same boat with tires. I really want the PS4 if possible because of the raving reviews they get. Not overly interested in the STIII either. It leaves me with only the Vrederstein or PS4. The PS4 doesn’t have the 295x30 so I would have to go 285x30 which is maxed on width at a 10.5 wheel. I am not sure if maxed width equals stretched or not? Up front is not the spot to stretch though.

By the way, congrats on the wheel. Any thoughts to getting a cross drilled rotor in there for a nicer look? I wonder if the X5M rotor would fit?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #152
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
I am in the same boat with tires. I really want the PS4 if possible because of the raving reviews they get. Not overly interested in the STIII either. It leaves me with only the Vrederstein or PS4. The PS4 doesn’t have the 295x30 so I would have to go 285x30 which is maxed on width at a 10.5 wheel. I am not sure if maxed width equals stretched or not? Up front is not the spot to stretch though.

By the way, congrats on the wheel. Any thoughts to getting a cross drilled rotor in there for a nicer look? I wonder if the X5M rotor would fit?
I've never used PS4s. I did run a set of Michelin Pilot AS3+ ultra-high performance all-seasons on my last car, and I cannot say enough good things about them.

For autocross, I like Hoosier A6s
For long mixedwet/dry track, I like Nitto NT-05
For all around daily... I really liked the AS3+

With a 285 tire, I wouldn't go with a 10.5. I'd drop down to a 10.

I "believe" the X5M uses the exact same sport brakes as the M50i... not 100% sure though. But I know they both use the electronic parking brake mechanism on the rear, and the el-cheapo cast single piston caliper..... which I hate.

I've been researching rear BBKs since day 1. Ksport makes one that re-uses the EPB. So does D2 racing. Neither brand I trust. I "believe" Brembo makes a set, but I haven't been able to find pictures/info yet. Still looking though.

For right now, I'm ok with stock brakes until something better comes along.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #153
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I've never used PS4s. I did run a set of Michelin Pilot AS3+ ultra-high performance all-seasons on my last car, and I cannot say enough good things about them.

For autocross, I like Hoosier A6s
For long mixedwet/dry track, I like Nitto NT-05
For all around daily... I really liked the AS3+

With a 285 tire, I wouldn't go with a 10.5. I'd drop down to a 10.

I "believe" the X5M uses the exact same sport brakes as the M50i... not 100% sure though. But I know they both use the electronic parking brake mechanism on the rear, and the el-cheapo cast single piston caliper..... which I hate.

I've been researching rear BBKs since day 1. Ksport makes one that re-uses the EPB. So does D2 racing. Neither brand I trust. I "believe" Brembo makes a set, but I haven't been able to find pictures/info yet. Still looking though.

For right now, I'm ok with stock brakes until something better comes along.
I don’t know about the rest but the discs are cross drilled on the M and are probably thicker for cooling.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #154
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
I don’t know about the rest but the discs are cross drilled on the M and are probably thicker for cooling.
You may be right. Generally, a few mm thicker rotors will not require a different caliper though. The wheel lugs are the same, and I believe they use the same caliper.... so rotor swaps may be an easy upgrade.

My argument.... is that in a year or so, numerous aftermarket companies will offer a drilled/slotted rotor for half the price of what BMW does.... and in many cases, even higher quality. Spending big $$$ on BMW branded rotors seems silly, when pad upgrades will provide far better braking anyway.

Looks are important too, of course.... but I'll just wait for stoptech or somebody to make a rotor upgrade of that's the case.
Appreciate 0