Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #157
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Go to any gym and see if anyone gently places 120s, 200s whatever down. At best you see people drop them off the knees. And when 100lbs+ hit the floor from that height, it's not gentle.

It's basic physiology. When you start a set you have much more energy than after the set. Ask anyone.

Sorry man, I'm a weak ass as you say. 120 is kinda heavy for me to target 3 sets of 8-10 with good form so by the LAST rep I no longer have the physical strength to gently put them down.

Relax man.
everybody does it at my gym except for the two dudes that want everybody to know that they are using "big weights" ....basic psychology says if its that heavy get a spotter. There's plenty of things you can do to help you not drop the weight, but its much easier to find an excuse. Does grunting as loud as possible also help you get that last rep?? Can you imagine what gyms would be like if everybody did that...thanks for letting us know how much you lift by the way, you proved my point
      02-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #158
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

im all for dropping the weight, slamming the weight that's entirely different story. Dropping the weight is no louder than a treadmill. Now slamming the weight that's when you hear Odin slapping Thor.
      02-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #159
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

And etiquette is really important, but people who scream to get that last pump or two are not attention whores. Screaming as well as the exhale of the scream, does give you a jolt of adrenaline. Which makes perfect sense really.

Martial artists, screamers, tennis players, screamers, weight lifters, screamers. One should not feel ashamed of screaming, but one should be aware of their surroundings.
      02-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #160
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
everybody does it at my gym except for the two dudes that want everybody to know that they are using "big weights" ....basic psychology says if its that heavy get a spotter. There's plenty of things you can do to help you not drop the weight, but its much easier to find an excuse. Does grunting as loud as possible also help you get that last rep?? Can you imagine what gyms would be like if everybody did that...thanks for letting us know how much you lift by the way, you proved my point
Ok man you win. I'm not gonna convince you otherwise.

I don't know what gym you goto if guys actually never drop heavy Dumbbells...except two guys. I've been going to the gym for 20 years+ and been to half a dozen gyms.

I really don't give a shit what anyone else thinks about the amount of weight I do. I drop it because I physically can't even finish the last rep. It's not an excuse dude. And I grunt because I'm exerting a lot more than I would otherwise. So the fact I drop weight proves nothing in regard to me in specific.

Plus I don't ALWAYS have a spotter. Even when I do, the weights still drop. Hey, if YOU can "gently" place 100lbs+ Dumbbells down from an awkward kneeling position with palms open (spotter), then more power to you.

If you can keep maxing out your own personal best each time you lift without going to fatigue/failure then food for you. Maybe I just don't have your stamina. What can I say.

I DROP my weights. I don't THROW them. There's a difference.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #161
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
And etiquette is really important, but people who scream to get that last pump or two are not attention whores. Screaming as well as the exhale of the scream, does give you a jolt of adrenaline. Which makes perfect sense really.

Martial artists, screamers, tennis players, screamers, weight lifters, screamers. One should not feel ashamed of screaming, but one should be aware of their surroundings.
+1

Not on every rep. Just the one before you physically can't do anymoor. Or, you're lifting a heavier weight than you ever did.

I totally agree about etiquette.
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #162
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I don't know what gym you goto if guys actually never drop heavy Dumbbells...except two guys. I've been going to the gym for 20 years+ and been to half a dozen gyms.

I really don't give a shit what anyone else thinks about the amount of weight I do. I drop it because I physically can't even finish the last rep. It's not an excuse dude. And I grunt because I'm exerting a lot more than I would otherwise. So the fact I drop weight proves nothing in regard to me in specific.

Plus I don't ALWAYS have a spotter. Even when I do, the weights still drop. Hey, if YOU can "gently" place 100lbs+ Dumbbells down from an awkward kneeling position with palms open (spotter), then more power to you.

If you can keep maxing out your own personal best each time you lift without going to fatigue/failure then food for you. Maybe I just don't have your stamina. What can I say.

Preach on brethren.
      02-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #163
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
im all for dropping the weight, slamming the weight that's entirely different story. Dropping the weight is no louder than a treadmill. Now slamming the weight that's when you hear Odin slapping Thor.
+1.

It's like:

A drop a weight cuz you're totally burnt out or it's just too heavy to "place"
B "place" the weight down at all costs and pull muscle in your back or tear your shoulder

I pick A any day
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #164
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

Good point.. It's one thing to throw weights and another to drop them at the end of your set. Yes, a 150lbs dumbbell will make a tad more noise than a 50lbs but after all this a gym not a library. I don't often lift heavy but when I do, I will push to failure and then do my best to drop the weights with as much control as possible. I mean it's kind of hard to not drop the weights at the end of a set of dumbbell presses, even when you do have a spotter.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #165
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Shrugs doesn't count
Shit! Awww man!

How about dumbbell rows at the rack? Does that count? I think I can do ONE. Then I THROW it. Cuz you know, I can THROW a 180 lb dumbbell with one hand. Cuz that's how swole I am.

No. Not really.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #166
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Good point.. It's one thing to throw weights and another to drop them at the end of your set. Yes, a 150lbs dumbbell will make a tad more noise than a 50lbs but after all this a gym not a library. I don't often lift heavy but when I do, I will push to failure and then do my best to drop the weights with as much control as possible. I mean it's kind of hard to not drop the weights at the end of a set of dumbbell presses, even when you do have a spotter.
That's what I'm sayin!

I never throw. Unless someone makes me mad and I turn green.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #167
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

what about the dude that walks around the gym with a duffle bag???
      02-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #168
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Shit! Awww man!

How about dumbbell rows at the rack? Does that count? I think I can do ONE. Then I THROW it. Cuz you know, I can THROW a 180 lb dumbbell with one hand. Cuz that's how swole I am.

No. Not really.
Most guys have no idea how to do a correct dumbbell row.. Vast majority of guys doing a heavy dumbbell row are actually doing a pull or a jerk, where majority of the tension is applied to the bicep. The correct way is to initiate and move the weight with your LAT. You are basically bent over and trying to pull your lat up towards the ceiling, thereby moving the weight. Then the arm pulls in to fully contract the lat. Most people just grab heavy weight and just pull on that shit, which accomplishes nothing, except for bit of a bicep pump.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #169
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
what about the dude that walks around the gym with a duffle bag???
LMAO got a guy like that.. Dude has half of his house in there.. It's like his workouts are a military operation. Talk about being over prepared. I call him the Wizard of Pump because sometimes dude will stop between sets and whip himself up a potion. He'll just grab some of his supplements and start mixing shit up in his sports bottle.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #170
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
LMAO got a guy like that.. Dude has half of his house in there.. It's like his workouts are a military operation. Talk about being over prepared. I call him the Wizard of Pump because sometimes dude will stop between sets and whip himself up a potion. He'll just grab some of his supplements and start mixing shit up in his sports bottle.
"whips himself up a potion" this shit had me laughing out loud! maybe he is training at the local gym for the next Mr. Olympia
      02-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #171
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
"whips himself up a potion" this shit had me laughing out loud! maybe he is training at the local gym for the next Mr. Olympia
He's a nice dude and all, big too but that potion stuff always had me cracking up.. He knows about it too and likes the nickname.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #172
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He's a nice dude and all, big too but that potion stuff always had me cracking up.. He knows about it too and likes the nickname.
There used to be a couple dudes like that. HUGE.

One was taking SARMs or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #173
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most guys have no idea how to do a correct dumbbell row.. Vast majority of guys doing a heavy dumbbell row are actually doing a pull or a jerk, where majority of the tension is applied to the bicep. The correct way is to initiate and move the weight with your LAT. You are basically bent over and trying to pull your lat up towards the ceiling, thereby moving the weight. Then the arm pulls in to fully contract the lat. Most people just grab heavy weight and just pull on that shit, which accomplishes nothing, except for bit of a bicep pump.
Good explanation. It's all about thinking through the rep. Not about just getting the dumbbell up.

Or, if you're lucky, pull out your shoulder.

Generally, I hate bad form. Period. It does nothing for you.

I'm actually one of those weirdos who sometimes benches with straps.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #174
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how about the clearly out of shape guy who carries a gallon jug of water and can't lift properly and eyeballs everyone else.

And he wears those toe shoes.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #175
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
I see this a lot; the lat itself won't actually work if the weight is too heavy.
I surf a huge amount and swim a lot; does wonders for those wings as do the correct rows and pull ups.

A quick story on supplements; I was a hard gainer; took supplements, creatinr, all sorts (all legal, nothing too severe); zero results. Just got more toned.
Then I discovered the joys of proper MMF training; my appetite naturally shot up, my gains were very rapid both in size and strength.
My budget was low as I was a student so I just stuffed myself with fairly cheap but good food. I gained three stone in 18 months and my max lifts shot up.

So when I see guys guzzling shakes during a workout, guys who aren't in good shape, I can't help but smile.

Eat well but don't obsess; it's almost all about the workouts. Your appetite will follow.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #176
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

what about the people that sprint inside the gym?? ..like buddy can you please do that outside..