BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2023, 09:35 PM   #1
hmbmd116
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Adaptive Recuperation

I have a 2024 X5 50e. I did read the manual explaining adaptive recuperation and tried it a few times. I am still unclear what this setting is trying to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:58 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
it adjusts the level of regeneration strength depending on the situation (could be stronger or weaker). note this does not apply to pressing the brake pedal
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #3
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

In the 50e, which driving mode offers the highest level of recuperation?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:50 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
In the 50e, which driving mode offers the highest level of recuperation?
recuperation strength isn’t tied to a particular drive mode, at least I’m not aware of it. if you mean which drive mode offers the highest opportunities for recuperation? that’s highly variable based on multiple factors

if you have Adaptive Recuperation enabled, the vehicle decides the level of recuperation: little to none if no vehicle in front of you (feels like you’re coasting in neutral), stronger if it senses a vehicle in front of you (feels like applying the brakes).

same with the regeneration strength when applying the brakes: stronger with harder application, weaker with lighter application
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:53 AM   #5
RetSurfer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I've found the D/S mode, pulling back the shifter 2 times, offers a lot of recouping a charge with out using the battery. I have yet to spend any time in Sport mode though.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 02:42 PM   #6
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

"Adaptive Recuperation" -- is this like charging a battery, or is the term intended to discourage me from inquiring to avoid appearing ignorant?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
"Adaptive Recuperation" — is this like charging a battery, or is the term intended to discourage me from inquiring to avoid appearing ignorant?
It’s the level of regeneration (recharging the HV battery using your forward momentum to run the electric motor in reverse). I’ve found that with adaptive recuperation enabled it will also use signals such as your turn signal to engage higher regeneration. For example, when I approach the turn into my neighborhood from a 55mph road if I use my turn signal the car will slow due to high regeneration and if I do not use my turn signal I will coast and need to apply more brake. I’ve found that it works quite well. My only complaint is that I will sometimes release the gas pedal completely when following another car and fail to anticipate the regeneration so it can cause it to feel as though I abruptly applied brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 04:27 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’m not a fan of this feature as it induces “jerky” vehicle movements leading to motion-sickness induced nausea of my passengers
Appreciate 0