Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post
Marty in Bgm,

Welcome to the grand Akebono experience! I've used that pad exclusively for over 14 years on my Suburban and X5. However, today I still sit in the quagmire of excessive brake dust on my X3 M40i as they currently don't yet make a pad for my model. Frustrating is an understatement!

Living for the day they do; it can't come soon enough!
HollyM, this is my first set of Akebono, so far, so good. Have you contacted them to ask if they are going to offer them for your car? That said, there must be other ceramics that will fit, yes? Ohio? I used to live in Columbus and Cambridge, I really like Columbus.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:57 AM   #68
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

Marty In Bgm,

Yes, I've spoken to some higher-ups in Akebono and no, they don't make one yet for my brakes and only offered that they were way behind in getting some other pads out in the market. That was early last year and I've neglected to bug them again but will soon. For now, it's Sonax and a lot of scrubbing; even with ceramic coat, it takes a while to get the wheels clean during each wash (sigh).

Cool you used to live in Ohio; I'm in NE Ohio,in Bath Township. Love Columbus - great city!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #69
travisgsf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Also, how many miles did you get on the OEM’s?
I only have 1500 miles on the vehicle. I am changing mainly to eliminate the brake dust.

Initial impressions after a week of use on the power stop ceramic pads. Install by a local tech was easy. I do feel they have less grab than the stock pads. I do feel less stopping power. Nothing that is unsafe, it's just that the stock pads bit much harder.

Absolutely no squeaking or noise and man do the run clean, very clean. Pretty much no dust left behind.

One main issue and maybe the OP can chime in since he did this much earlier than me. When I'm at a stop and I change direction, for example pulled forward in my driveway and now will reverse to leave, I have a knock from the front pads.

I've done some research on this and it seems like this is no harm, it's simply the pad isn't the exact same size as the stock ones and they shift slightly. It seems that people who track their car and have track pads experience this. It's not really a problem except that I hate the sound and it sounds not normal. I'm just particular on this. Any others have issue and a potential solution for this? TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #70
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisgsf View Post
I only have 1500 miles on the vehicle. I am changing mainly to eliminate the brake dust.

Initial impressions after a week of use on the power stop ceramic pads. Install by a local tech was easy. I do feel they have less grab than the stock pads. I do feel less stopping power. Nothing that is unsafe, it's just that the stock pads bit much harder.

Absolutely no squeaking or noise and man do the run clean, very clean. Pretty much no dust left behind.

One main issue and maybe the OP can chime in since he did this much earlier than me. When I'm at a stop and I change direction, for example pulled forward in my driveway and now will reverse to leave, I have a knock from the front pads.

I've done some research on this and it seems like this is no harm, it's simply the pad isn't the exact same size as the stock ones and they shift slightly. It seems that people who track their car and have track pads experience this. It's not really a problem except that I hate the sound and it sounds not normal. I'm just particular on this. Any others have issue and a potential solution for this? TIA
My experience changing from BMW OEM pads to the Akebono ceramic is a softer feeling when pressing on the brake pedal. My wife said she thought they did not stop the car as quickly. However, its a matter of getting used to them as they are indeed different than the OEM's. I found that if I press the brake pedal harder than I am used to, they brake quickly so possibly its just a matter of getting used to them.

I'm in Florida visiting family for a while and therefore don't have the opportunity to wash the car as often as I would when home. It's been three weeks since my last wash and when I go out and look at the wheels, they still look clean :-) With the OEM pads, the fronts would be dirty after three days of intermittent driving.

In terms of your brakes making a noise when changing direction, you may in fact be correct, do you still have the OEM pads to compare the size to? Are you sure they put all the pieces back together correctly? (Shims, anti-squeal springs, etc.) I'm not familiar with the G05 brakes and pads but is it even possible to put the fronts on the rear and visa versa? Normally the fronts are bigger and would not fit on the rear, but just exploring possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #71
Yogujuhere
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, M850i Coupe

Quote:

Travis I just got these done these yesterday and I'm experiencing the same click.
It doesn't sound normal and is honestly annoying me.
A passenger looked at me and said - "that doesn't sound right"
I believe it is the pad's shifting while driving from reverse to forward and vice versa.
Contemplating going back to stock. This is a very annoying issue.
I can confirm, braking is not as good as stock, but its pretty close.
I can confirm, initial brake pedal feel is not as sharp. Less bite on initial braking, hence have to push harder on the brake pedal.

I just got this done yesterday, and for some reason it seems like the pads are shifting and creating a click noise when changing from Reverse to Drive and vice versa while braking.

Anybody have an issue like that?

Shop is saying that it maybe due to the fact they are aftermarket and possibly not designed perfectly for this model.

After looking into this further, it seems theres an acutal 2019 X5 M Sport Brake pad that is designed by power stop. Also I didn't even realize the Z16 is the budget option out of all of the pads.
This is turning into a mess. Powerstop is closed today, I'll call them on monday to find out what kind of recourse I will have.

EDIT

Went back to the shop and they showed me why it's clicking. The picture where the little yellow color is shows a gap on the top hook where the pads attach to the caliper. The tolerance is not perfect and that's why it's shifting.
Attached Images

Last edited by Yogujuhere; 02-22-2020 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #72
travisgsf
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogujuhere View Post
Travis I just got these done these yesterday and I'm experiencing the same click.
I believe it is the pad's shifting while driving from reverse to forward and vice versa.
I can confirm, initial brake pedal feel is not as sharp. Less bite on initial braking, hence have to push harder on the brake pedal.

I just got this done yesterday, and for some reason it seems like the pads are shifting and creating a click noise when changing from Reverse to Drive and vice versa while braking.

Shop is saying that it maybe due to the fact they are aftermarket and possibly not designed perfectly for this model.

After looking into this further, it seems theres an acutal 2019 X5 M Sport Brake pad that is designed by power stop. Also I didn't even realize the Z16 is the budget option out of all of the pads.
This is turning into a mess. Powerstop is closed today, I'll call them on monday to find out what kind of recourse I will have.

EDIT

Went back to the shop and they showed me why it's clicking. The picture where the little yellow color is shows a gap on the top hook where the pads attach to the caliper. The tolerance is not perfect and that's why it's shifting.

Any fix to that? It seems as though my clicking sound goes away at times now and doesn’t happen as much. Did you find a different pad like you said? Maybe more specific for our model and less budget friendly? I’ll pay for the. Enter ones especially if they fit perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #73
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Also, how many miles did you get on the OEM’s?

The Powerstop pads are the exact same size as the OEMs. If the new plad isn't sitting in there tightly, they may not be installed correctly or a shim is missing. After replacing the pads, the caliper has to relearn the new thickness of the new pad. I took mine to the dealership to have this done. I know another guy posted where you just pull the emergency brake before touching the brake pedal to reset the calipers, but I can't verify if this works. Also give the pads a few hundred miles to break in. Ours stops confidently with no noise or clicking.
      02-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #74
bqvalen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, 2016 F15, 2019 XC60

I just changed the pads on my non M sport. Easy. Took me 1.5-2 hours. Car doesn't need to relearn anything. Pull pads, compress piston, install new pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #75
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Quote:

EDIT

Here's a comparison of the Powerstop pad vs the oem. When I stacked them on top of each other everything aligned perfectly, even the hook. I'd have the shop put the oems back in and see if that gap is still there between the pin and the hook.
Attached Images

02-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #76
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqvalen View Post
I just changed the pads on my non M sport. Easy. Took me 1.5-2 hours. Car doesn't need to relearn anything. Pull pads, compress piston, install new pads.
How many miles were on the car when you changed yours? I'm considering doing it. I have ~ 7000 miles on my car, the rotors are nice & smooth, and I'm wondering if I can just replace the pads and leave the rotors as they are without needing to have them turned?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #77
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Asking again..... can anyone confirm that activating the parking brake before pressing the brake pedal results in no warnings?

A lot of people have bought pads.... but no reports on changing the rears.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #78
bqvalen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, 2016 F15, 2019 XC60

I had ~5200 miles when I changed my front and rear pads. Everyone is making such a big deal out of this. It took me 1.5-2 hours. I read the service manual, even when at the dealer, they don't use any software to retract the pistons. I just used a good old fashioned C clamp.

Out of an abundance of caution, I did activate the parking brake before pressing the brake pedal. No warnings any way you slice it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #79
travisgsf
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Asking again..... can anyone confirm that activating the parking brake before pressing the brake pedal results in no warnings?

A lot of people have bought pads.... but no reports on changing the rears.
I told this procedure to the shop before they did it. Now if they actually did that I’m not sure but no warnings at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #80
travisgsf
Private First Class
Rep

Update on pad clicking:

I have close to 1000 miles on the pads now. The clicking is almost gone. It’s very faint and happens only every now and then vs al the time at first. Everything working well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #81
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqvalen View Post
I had ~5200 miles when I changed my front and rear pads. Everyone is making such a big deal out of this. It took me 1.5-2 hours. I read the service manual, even when at the dealer, they don't use any software to retract the pistons. I just used a good old fashioned C clamp.

Out of an abundance of caution, I did activate the parking brake before pressing the brake pedal. No warnings any way you slice it for me.
Thanks!!!
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #82
Yogujuhere
Private
Rep

Are the 2019 X5 50i and 2020 X5 m50i M Sport brakes the same?

I plugged in the info into the powerstop configurator and get different part numbers for the X5 5.0 2019.

Front: Part No. 16-1609B (Edit - DOES NOT WORK for 2020M50i)
Rear: Part No. 16-1850

================================================== ==================================================

EDIT:

Just tried installing the 1609-b and it does not fit at all. So I guess either the pad for the 2019 and the 2020 are different, or the powerstop configurator is wrong.
================================================== ==================================================
Edit 2: Installed a fresh set of Z16 16-1868.

So far, so good. I drove home on the z16 16-1868 and everything seems to be mostly normal. Very slight click, barely noticeable ( I might have just received a bad set of previous ones.)
I believe this very light click will go away with bedding in. Its barely noticeable.

I think this is the way to go as the original poster has said. I'll report back if something changes.

Last edited by Yogujuhere; 03-06-2020 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #83
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Anybody can confirm model # for 2020 M50i with blue calipers???
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 02:30 AM   #84
Milangel
Rep

So 16-1850 (rear brake pad) also works?

Quote:
Are the 2019 X5 50i and 2020 X5 m50i M Sport brakes the same?

I plugged in the info into the powerstop configurator and get different part numbers for the X5 5.0 2019.

Front: Part No. 16-1609B (Edit - DOES NOT WORK for 2020M50i)
Rear: Part No. 16-1850

EDIT:

Just tried installing the 1609-b and it does not fit at all. So I guess either the pad for the 2019 and the 2020 are different, or the powerstop configurator is wrong.
Edit 2: Installed a fresh set of Z16 16-1868.

So far, so good. I drove home on the z16 16-1868 and everything seems to be mostly normal. Very slight click, barely noticeable ( I might have just received a bad set of previous ones.)
I believe this very light click will go away with bedding in. Its barely noticeable.

I think this is the way to go as the original poster has said. I'll report back if something changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #85
Yogujuhere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milangel View Post
So 16-1850 (rear brake pad) also works?
I didn't test the 16-1850.

I can confirm that these fit, however I still have the "click" when changing from reverse and drive and applying the brake pedal.

16-1868 for the front and 16-1469 for the rear as originally stated at the beginning of the thread.

If akebono ever makes a set for the M50i before my lease is over, i think I'd give them a shot.

Last edited by Yogujuhere; 03-13-2020 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #86
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep

For Those Of You Than Have Changed to Ceramic Pads , Please Post Update

To those of you that have gone to ceramic, can you please post an update on how you feel they're working out.

1. After this amount of time, do they feel as good as the OEM pads felt as far as stopping power, etc?

2. Do they just put out less dust, or is the dust just lighter in color and not as visible as the black dust that comes from using the OEM pads?

3. I had one indy shop tell me they use ATE pads and I'm presume they could crossover the pads to ATE (for the 750i w/M Sport brakes) like the OP did with the Powerstop. I realize that company has been around disc brakes for a very long time, at least back into the 1960's, it that means anything. They also said they'd install anything I find that I want them to install. Does anyone here have experience with ATE pads.

Last edited by THinthedesert; 03-23-2020 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #87
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Since BMW introduced electric parking brake, the rear pistons have changer and need to be pushed and twisted at the same time to be able to retract them. VW is doing that for several years now, they have a special tool to push and turn a the same time the piston.

Cars equipped with a handbrake use small brake shoes pads inside the rear rotor
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #88
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I have had my M50i for just over 2 weeks. Only 100 miles on it. Can't believe the dust these brakes put out. Understand the M sport brakes are performance geared, but this is ridiculous. I have coated them with every wax, sealant & polish I have along with multiple rounds of the Armor all repellent - nothing seems to help. One round trip of 20 miles of gentle driving produces noticeable dust.

I can't believe BMW chose these brake pads, they certainly know this is occurring. I am reluctant to change to aftermarket pads, but may end of changing my mind.
Appreciate 1