BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

The Perfect Watch for a Businessman

So this weekend I've been seeking out what I want next. I'm far from reaching a decision, but I stumbled across something that instantly qualifies for my short list: Breguet Reveil du Tsar Enamel. (There is also a silver guilloche version, but it's not nearly as elegant and it costs more.)

It tells the time of day in two timezones, has an alarm, and lets me know how much power is left before I'll need to take action. Inasmuch as I have no need for dive, drive, stopwatch, moon phase info or any myriad of other functions, but I do travel nearly every week, this bad boy is perfect. Leave it to the company founded by a man who is a seminal figure in the industry, inventing both the tourbillion and the minute repeater, and who created a wristwatch long (50+ years) before Patek Philippe did. (1812 Breguet watch No. 2639 -- early as that is, it follows the very first by some 300 years or so.)

I don't at all care for watches that have more than three hands on the dial because mostly I don't think them attractive, and I, until now, always think them busy looking and hard to read. So here I am now craving a watch having seven hands. The grand feu enamel dial is simply gorgeous, as is everything else about this watch. It's really true that one can never say never.

Silver guilloche version:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
n55_135
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i m sport

That is a beautiful time piece, I think that just kicked my watch obsession back in. I Absolutely love the blue hands. Very classy
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

tony i like the porcelain version also. i am with you that i tend to like simple faces without a multitude of hands. that being said i can see the appeal of this timepiece. looks sharp. like the blue hands and white face. just ordered a stowa marine as you know with both those features.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
tony i like the porcelain version also. i am with you that i tend to like simple faces without a multitude of hands. that being said i can see the appeal of this timepiece. looks sharp. like the blue hands and white face. just ordered a stowa marine as you know with both those features.
Stowa Marine is a wonderful watch.

I'm still quite surprised that upon seeing the Breguet I immediately cottoned to it. Realizing that it has a ton of hands was a secondary thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

the thing im not a fan of is any gold besides white.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the thing im not a fan of is any gold besides white.
That won't be a problem. You can have it in white gold knowing Breguet, if you are willing to pay for it, they'll make the case in whatever metal you request so long as it's in keeping with their principles. They'll surely do it in platinum, maybe stainless steel. They make a table clock + wristwatch assemblage that recharges and resets the wristwatch when you place it in its spot on the table clock. That object is made of bronze.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
That won't be a problem. You can have it in white gold knowing Breguet, if you are willing to pay for it, they'll make the case in whatever metal you request so long as it's in keeping with their principles. They'll surely do it in platinum, maybe stainless steel. They make a table clock + wristwatch assemblage that recharges and resets the wristwatch when you place it in its spot on the table clock. That object is made of bronze.
pretty fancy. not something i will ever aspire to.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

My dad's colleague has that watch (the top one). It's nice. It's elegant but understated. I had seen him wear it before but never thought much of it (I'm not really a watch guy), but my dad once asked me "guess how much Jack paid for his watch?" and I guessed what I perceived to be an exorbitant number at the time ("$25,000? $30,000?"). I think it's actually like $40k retail.

But I think that adds to its mystique. I like watches that look less expensive than they are (except to the discerning eye).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Dude! I had no idea. Baller status and I'm out, no group buy for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
My dad's colleague has that watch (the top one). It's nice. It's elegant but understated. I had seen him wear it before but never thought much of it (I'm not really a watch guy), but my dad once asked me "guess how much Jack paid for his watch?" and I guessed what I perceived to be an exorbitant number at the time ("$25,000? $30,000?"). I think it's actually like $40k retail.

But I think that adds to its mystique. I like watches that look less expensive than they are (except to the discerning eye).
I don't care what time it is, yesteryear, this year, now, or next decade, I think and will continue to think $25K, $30K and $40K are all exorbitant sums for a a watch. But my kids are all headed firmly into adulthood and self-sufficiency, so what else and I supposed to do with that kind of money?

You'll know what I mean when you have your own and one minute you are shelling out ~$200K/year on school, clothes, trips, and "stuff" for your, and then almost as suddenly as the expenditures had begun some 20+ years before, they stop. There will be all sorts of retail satisfaction you won't mind.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

-Any GMT watch will tell the time in two different time zones so that's a moot point.
-Plenty of watches much lower in cost have a power reserve meter another moot point.

If I'm spending $30k on a watch, I want it to have value beyond many of the points you noted:

1.) Rich history- Breguet certainly has this
2.) Investment Potential- You may not care about selling it, but any good watch should be attractive in this category
3.) Intricacies of the movement- This timepiece certainly has this

My point is that this watch is not a bad choice at this price point, but don't kid yoruself into thinking it's worth the pricetag because of its function. If you're after the features you mentioned, you can find them in timepieces well below $5000.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Beautiful watch, tony.

Can't wait till I can afford a watch that costs as much as a decent car...on my way...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Stunning watch
      09-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post

My point is that this watch is not a bad choice at this price point, but don't kid yoruself into thinking it's worth the pricetag because of its function. If you're after the features you mentioned, you can find them in timepieces well below $5000.
I'm under no such false notion. I have a Reverso Duo. I know quite well there's no requirement to spend that kind of money to have a very fine watch that tells time in two zones. I will say I haven't run across many mechanical watches that have an alarm function, yet I haven't looked for one either. Hell, I wasn't looking for that one either. Indeed, the only reason I even learned of the Breguet pictured is that a watch salesman in NYC sent me a brochure about it.

But it's not any one of the funtionalities that makes me think this a good businessman's watch. (And perhaps I should have said business executive's watch instead.) It's that as a frequently traveling business executive, the alarm, dual zone and it's being elegant and a rather "quiet" brand (i.e., most folks will not recognize it) makes it just right for the well turned out businessman. Also, I have yet to see a watch that appeals to me more so than does the Breguet.

The alarm strikes me as incredibly convenient. I can certainly see myself using it on long flights. Yes, I know the attendant will wake me if I ask. But I also know that if something come's up that occupies her/him, s/he may forget, and frankly, I'd just as soon not bother. I don't really need or want someone at my beck and call, at least not on a plane. It's one of my few moments of solitude. The fewer folks and less often I see them, the better.

Lastly, I think Breguet watches of this caliber have at least some investment potential. That said, I'm not of the mind that a watch -- any watch -- is a good investment, at least not at the price points I can afford. But you are correct, I have no intention of selling it later. I buy and keep.

I appreciate your contribution. TY.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Beautiful watch, tony.

Can't wait till I can afford a watch that costs as much as a decent car...on my way...
TY.

Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
JerseyChris
Rep
Drives: 2010 M6 Vert

Clean look
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oh, sh*t!!! I just discovered this watch and now I'm torn between it and the one I initially listed. I still think the Breguet is the better pick for functionality, but this one is so damned gorgeous. I wonder if any of the 40 they made still are available? If not, the brown version would do too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Breguet makes an absolutely amazing time piece!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I'm not as much of a fan of the new choice. Cool but not my taste.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not as much of a fan of the new choice. Cool but not my taste.
NP there. I totally respect that POV.

I called VC today to see if one of the 40 limited edition pieces is still available. One is. Perhaps your dislike of the styling is shared by more than just a few folks, and thus the reason why one can still be had. (they were released several months ago)

I was surprised to find though that the LE version (black strap) is but $1K higher in price. I was expecting it to be at least $5K higher. That may be a sign that it's the one I should get....

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
NP there. I totally respect that POV.

I called VC today to see if one of the 40 limited edition pieces is still available. One is. Perhaps your dislike of the styling is shared by more than just a few folks, and thus the reason why one can still be had. (they were released several months ago)

I was surprised to find though that the LE version (black strap) is but $1K higher in price. I was expecting it to be at least $5K higher. That may be a sign that it's the one I should get....
if its 20k less than the first watch you posted then maybe. i like the brown also. i have twice as many black watches as brown but have 3 times as many brown shoes as black go figure.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if its 20k less than the first watch you posted then maybe. i like the brown also. i have twice as many black watches as brown but have 3 times as many brown shoes as black go figure.
The Breguet and the two VCs are the same price.

Appreciate 0