BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #23
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
If I was a team manager...Leclerc would be my first pick (given Hamilton is due to retire sometime soon). The speed he gets out of the Ferrari is mightily impressive...reminds of Senna early days when he was in a mid field car.
Ferrari spotted his talent early on, signing him on for a multi year contract.
NO, hands off my dude!!! Hopefully he will stay with Ferrari if they get their $hit together. Otherwise I would hate to see his talent and general likability go to waste.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:04 AM   #24
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
ISTM that every time the regulations are changed to stop the domination of one particular team the pendulum just swings so that another team dominates instead.
Traditionally the idea of any form of performance equalisation is scorned as not being F1 and I do see that...yet the attraction of making F1 more show and less about who has the best technological package, does have its appeal.
Who wouldn't want every driver to have a chance at winning.
The trick is arriving at that point without upsetting everyone.
Not sure that a spending cap/resource rationing will get the sport where it needs to be.
actually i dont want..

i dont see F1 like a cup series.. multiple winners is cool but i d like to see best driver and car winning in different races.. the race like Gasly won.. i cant say that i enjoyed it cause right after winning a race same driver and the car couldnt go out from Q3 as far as i remember.. its just BS.. its not F1.. at least for me..

edit:

actually i watched the footage of Gasly-Ric incident.. it looks a bit hard to get a floor damage from that but if it what McLaren says..

Last edited by yco; 04-01-2021 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      04-01-2021, 03:53 AM   #25
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
actually i dont want..

i dont see F1 like a cup series.. multiple winners is cool but i d like to see best driver and car winning in different races.. the race like Gasly won.. i cant say that i enjoyed it cause right after winning a race same driver and the car couldnt go out from Q3 as far as i remember.. its just BS.. its not F1.. at least for me..
I have massive respect for Hamilton...his is a natural talent that puts him on a different level to his fellow competitors.
Yet his success is of course also a function of one teams technological dominance of the sport.
The most memorable races are always the ones where the outcome is uncertain or unexpected due weather, track conditions or a combination of unusual circumstances.

I'm not advocating a Cup series at all...but it is a truism that races like Turkey 2020 or Bahrain 2021 were more exciting (to an unbiased spectator) simply because the outcome was in doubt...rather than a lights to flag dominance of one driver.

It could be that Leclerc or Russel or Ricciardo are actually the best driver of their generation..yet they could finish their career without ever winning a DWC.

As I said...long view tinkering with the regulations has proved ineffective at equalising the sport...some out of the box thinking is needed instead.
Drivers like Hamilton would still win even if it was a Cup series simply because he is the best...but he would have to fight for every win just like in Bahrain

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 04-01-2021 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
yco5722.50
MKSixer34171.50