BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #3147
joedraz
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post
On the topic of military discount, I am a USAA member by virtue of my father having served in the Army. He passed away last year. I tried using the ID.me website to prove my eligibility, but it asks for things like his rank, service date and social security number, things I'm not going to know. I became a USAA member years ago by virtue of my father's service. The BMW website indicates USAA members are eligible, but ID.me doesn't reflect that (i.e., if it asked for my USAA number that would be great). Has anyone else obtained the military discount by way of USAA without having to answer the detailed questions? Or, is there a way I can obtain my dad's info from somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for your loss. I was in a similar situation without my fathers SSN or military service info. I used the TruCar Military site instead but I would think they all need similar info for verification. The death certificate should have your father's SSN. I requested a certified copy from the county recorder in the state he resided. Also, a DD214 (or similar) is needed for proof of service. Request the DD214 from the National Archives website. The site said response in several weeks but I received in a few days. (Note - records less that 62 years old are not public so you may need to prove you are immediate family if that's the case.) Also, there are services you can pay for that will work with the National Archives for you. I also used Aardvark Research Group at cost of $80 to make sure the turnaround was as quick as possible. (I was advised I should not have made a request directly to the National Archives if I wanted to use a service to work with them. Pick one or the other or it can slow things down.) Hope your USAA path makes it easier. Either way best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:07 PM   #3148
mi_sat
Rep
Drives: Hoping for X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedraz View Post
Sorry for your loss. I was in a similar situation without my fathers SSN or military service info. I used the TruCar Military site instead but I would think they all need similar info for verification. The death certificate should have your father's SSN. I requested a certified copy from the county recorder in the state he resided. Also, a DD214 (or similar) is needed for proof of service. Request the DD214 from the National Archives website. The site said response in several weeks but I received in a few days. (Note - records less that 62 years old are not public so you may need to prove you are immediate family if that's the case.) Also, there are services you can pay for that will work with the National Archives for you. I also used Aardvark Research Group at cost of $80 to make sure the turnaround was as quick as possible. (I was advised I should not have made a request directly to the National Archives if I wanted to use a service to work with them. Pick one or the other or it can slow things down.) Hope your USAA path makes it easier. Either way best of luck!
So I requested the DD214. Found his SS number, provided most of the info requested. They came back and said they couldn't identify him from the data provided. (I may have had his rank or dates of service wrong, so maybe that was the problem?) So they suggested yet another form. Ah, government. I don't think I can add much info to what I already provided, so I guess I'm SOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #3149
mi_sat
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts and the information as well. If I figure out if it's possible, I will be sure to report back.
No workarounds. Even providing his SS number and the like, it wasn't enough to identify him. I'll bet if he didn't pay his taxes, they would have hunted him down instantaneously.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 07:16 PM   #3150
weastwood
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Going to be picking up our new X5 a few weeks from now and when we went to have it built we mentioned the mil discount with the dealer. We are leasing and on their site it mentions a 500$ lease credit. But.. the dealer said no discounts on the lease options only purchase for the mil discount. Will bring it up again when signing for the car but has anyone run into issues with the discount and a lease?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 07:36 PM   #3151
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weastwood View Post
Going to be picking up our new X5 a few weeks from now and when we went to have it built we mentioned the mil discount with the dealer. We are leasing and on their site it mentions a 500$ lease credit. But.. the dealer said no discounts on the lease options only purchase for the mil discount. Will bring it up again when signing for the car but has anyone run into issues with the discount and a lease?
Your dealer is wrong. When leasing, or financing, with BMWFS the domestic military incentive is $500. Go to TrueCar's military site and verify your status and print out the certificate. Tell your CA you will be taking the $500 incentive so the finance person has it on the paperwork.
Attached Images

06-29-2023, 09:55 PM   #3152
weastwood
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Your dealer is wrong. When leasing, or financing, with BMWFS the domestic military incentive is $500. Go to TrueCar's military site and verify your status and print out the certificate. Tell your CA you will be taking the $500 incentive so the finance person has it on the paperwork.
I figured as much. I took a screenshot and have it ready to go. I even did the ID.me when we were building the car. But since we're not going to pick it up until after this current offer expires on July 4, I'll have to see what the next one will look like. But if the same, I'm gonna hold them to that..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:59 PM   #3153
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weastwood View Post
I figured as much. I took a screenshot and have it ready to go. I even did the ID.me when we were building the car. But since we're not going to pick it up until after this current offer expires on July 4, I'll have to see what the next one will look like. But if the same, I'm gonna hold them to that..
The incentive should be the same for the entire year. They always had yearly dates on the certificate until this year when they changed it to each month however the amounts have, and should, stay the same.

Good luck!
      06-30-2023, 04:53 PM   #3154
joedraz
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
So I requested the DD214. Found his SS number, provided most of the info requested. They came back and said they couldn't identify him from the data provided. (I may have had his rank or dates of service wrong, so maybe that was the problem?) So they suggested yet another form. Ah, government. I don't think I can add much info to what I already provided, so I guess I'm SOL.
Maybe the problem is they can't verify the service record if some info is missing.
The DD214 should have dates of service, rank, Service Number, etc. Hopefully, that will provide all the info still needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #3155
mi_sat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedraz View Post
Maybe the problem is they can't verify the service record if some info is missing.
The DD214 should have dates of service, rank, Service Number, etc. Hopefully, that will provide all the info still needed.
They want me to fill out form 13075, Questionnaire About Military Service, which requests arcane things like service number, his address when he enlisted, separation station, etc. I could barely come up with his social security number. There's no way I can determine any of what they are requesting, so sadly, I guess I'm tapped out.

I would have thought that the social security number is the ultimate piece of information to track down US citizens, but I couldn't be more wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #3156
numanbeing
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

corporate sales incentive combine-able with military discount?

Admittedly ignorant of how pricing and sales work and reading through here has convinced me of how much I dont know.

Am looking for a custom build 2024 X5 50e. I am looking to pay cash (not finance or lease). Am think my approach approach will be to call around to dealers in my area (nor cal/bay area) with build code and seek best offer.

From there I am wondering if I can THEN bring in the military incentive and possible corporate discount.

Are they "stackable"?

Any other tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 04:24 PM   #3157
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by numanbeing View Post
corporate sales incentive combine-able with military discount?

Admittedly ignorant of how pricing and sales work and reading through here has convinced me of how much I dont know.

Am looking for a custom build 2024 X5 50e. I am looking to pay cash (not finance or lease). Am think my approach approach will be to call around to dealers in my area (nor cal/bay area) with build code and seek best offer.

From there I am wondering if I can THEN bring in the military incentive and possible corporate discount.

Are they "stackable"?

Any other tips?
No they are not. Nothing is currently stackable with the Corporate Sales incentive.
      07-15-2023, 04:58 PM   #3158
numanbeing
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
No they are not. Nothing is currently stackable with the Corporate Sales incentive.
So in this case best path is to negotiate to lowest sale price possible then apply military at end? Is military discount applied to final price or more a rebate after purchase (would it lower sales tax base)?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 05:13 PM   #3159
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by numanbeing View Post
So in this case best path is to negotiate to lowest sale price possible then apply military at end? Is military discount applied to final price or more a rebate after purchase (would it lower sales tax base)?
That is correct, do your negotiating first and one you have your final numbers then you can mentioned the military incentive. It seems to depend on the dealer and/or state as to how it is applied. My dealer always just lowers the agreed upon amount by the military incentive amount so no tax is due on the incentive.
      07-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #3160
VTHoki
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021

Received a proposal from my local BMW Dealer today on 2 scenarios.

Scenario 1 = Lease Buyout of my current 2021 X5 40i (17K miles on it) so my MV is more than my residual

Dealer says BMWFS is only offering non-CPO rates at this time
60 mo. = 8.35%
72 mo. = 8.95%

Does that sound right or a rip-off? I hear BMWFS has stopped sales to third-party banks so you can only go through your BMW dealer now.

Scenario 2 = Turn my 2021 X5 in for a New Lease 2024 BMW X5 50e 10K miles/36 mo.

MSRP = $86,745
Discount = $3,500
Loyalty Rebate = $1,500
Total Price = $87,377 (includes dealer fees, tax, acquisition etc.)
MF = 0.0021

$15K down = $1,085/month

Yes, large downpayment is not advised. Have read the forums. I need to keep monthly cash flow at a certain max, hence the decision to entertain a large downpayment and accept the risk.

Should I consider putting some of that downpayment towards buying MSD if it’s offered? Thoughts on the Discount and Rates?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #3161
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHoki View Post

Scenario 1 = Lease Buyout of my current 2021 X5 40i (17K miles on it) so my MV is more than my residual

60 mo. = 8.35%
72 mo. = 8.95%

Does that sound right or a rip-off? I hear BMWFS has stopped sales to third-party banks so you can only go through your BMW dealer now.

Scenario 2 = Turn my 2021 X5 in for a New Lease 2024 BMW X5 50e 10K miles/36 mo.

MSRP = $86,745
Discount = $3,500
Loyalty Rebate = $1,500
MF = 0.0021

$15K down = $1,085/month

Yes, large downpayment is not advised. Have read the forums. I need to keep monthly cash flow at a certain max, hence the decision to entertain a large downpayment and accept the risk.

Should I consider putting some of that downpayment towards buying MSD if it’s offered? Thoughts on the Discount and Rates?
I would put $15k down on a ‘24 and insist on the buy rate for BMWFS financing at 4.99%/60 months (assumes top tier credit) Payment is $1358 and after 36 months you’ll have at least $12k in equity.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
VTHoki6.00
      07-18-2023, 04:59 PM   #3162
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

60 mo. = 8.35%
72 mo. = 8.95%

MSRP = $86,745
Discount = $3,500
Loyalty Rebate = $1,500
MF = 0.0021

$15K down = $1,085/month

I guess the first thing you have to decide is which vehicle do you want? After deciding that then you can look at the least expensive way to accomplish it.

If you choose the leasing route, buy 7 MSDs and keep the rest of the money in an account that you can draw from to assist with the cash flow unless you are totally comfortable with the risk.
VTHoki6.00
      07-18-2023, 05:13 PM   #3163
VTHoki
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
I would put $15k down on a ‘24 and insist on the buy rate for BMWFS financing at 4.99%/60 months (assumes top tier credit) Payment is $1358 and after 36 months you’ll have at least $12k in equity.
Hmm.. had not considered the Finance route on the '24 model. Was only looking at Lease, but you do make a good point! I have top tier credit so should qualify for their best rates.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:22 PM   #3164
VTHoki
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I guess the first thing you have to decide is which vehicle do you want? After deciding that then you can look at the least expensive way to accomplish it.

If you choose the leasing route, buy 7 MSDs and keep the rest of the money in an account that you can draw from to assist with the cash flow unless you are totally comfortable with the risk.
Thanks for the tip, TurtleBoy! Your feedback has been invaluable on a number of threads. To be honest, I want to buy the 2021 X5 I currently have. But paying 8%+ interest seems ludicrous. If there is an alternate financing option (outside of BMWFS) available through the dealer, that's where I'd go. The car has all the features I want (minus the trailer hitch I regret not getting) and I've only driven it ~ 6K miles a year. I even have the 3rd row in this car... kids are still young enough and fit just fine back there. Used it several times.

The newer models are nice, but LCI upgrades to me are mostly "nice to have" compared to my 2021 X5 and no 3rd row anymore. The only reason I'm also considering the 50e vs. the 40i right now is that it's the only way to get the Climate Package! I could hedge and wait for it to (hopefully) come back to the 40i in a few months.

Also, thanks for noting my question on the MSDs. That's going to be my next line with dealer, in case the lease buyout on 2021 doesn't work out due to high rates. Appreciate the tip!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:36 PM   #3165
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, TurtleBoy! Your feedback has been invaluable on a number of threads. To be honest, I want to buy the 2021 X5 I currently have. But paying 8%+ interest seems ludicrous. If there is an alternate financing option (outside of BMWFS) available through the dealer, that's where I'd go. The car has all the features I want (minus the trailer hitch I regret not getting) and I've only driven it ~ 6K miles a year. I even have the 3rd row in this car... kids are still young enough and fit just fine back there. Used it several times.

The newer models are nice, but LCI upgrades to me are mostly "nice to have" compared to my 2021 X5 and no 3rd row anymore. The only reason I'm also considering the 50e vs. the 40i right now is that it's the only way to get the Climate Package! I could hedge and wait for it to (hopefully) come back to the 40i in a few months.

Also, thanks for noting my question on the MSDs. That's going to be my next line with dealer, in case the lease buyout on 2021 doesn't work out due to high rates. Appreciate the tip!
If buying the ‘21 is your choice, banks and credit unions offer lower rates. Navy Federal, PenFed are great if you qualify to join. My local bank offers 6.8% for used cars.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
VTHoki6.00
      07-18-2023, 05:51 PM   #3166
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like buying your 21 would be the best way to go. As mentioned above, you should be able to get a used vehicle loan in the high 6's. I just checked PenFed, which I think dropped all membership requirements a few years ago, at they were at 6.89%. Your dealer may also have other sources that they can shop your loan to.

Let us know how things turn out.
VTHoki6.00
      07-18-2023, 06:05 PM   #3167
VTHoki
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
If buying the ‘21 is your choice, banks and credit unions offer lower rates. Navy Federal, PenFed are great if you qualify to join. My local bank offers 6.8% for used cars.
Unfortunately I don't qualify for banks/CUs like USAA, NavyFed etc. Will check with some local banks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 06:09 PM   #3168
VTHoki
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like buying your 21 would be the best way to go. As mentioned above, you should be able to get a used vehicle loan in the high 6's. I just checked PenFed, which I think dropped all membership requirements a few years ago, at they were at 6.89%. Your dealer may also have other sources that they can shop your loan to.

Let us know how things turn out.
Interesting (on PenFed). Will have to check em' out. My dealer has offered to shop around for better rates too. Will do some of my own ground work too with local banks.

I plan to also look at the MSDs on Lease and pull the thread further on the '24 50e just to see where it lands, even if I don't go for in in the end!

Will share numbers back here after getting new quotes, so that potentially others in same boat as me can have food for thought.
Appreciate 0