BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2022, 06:50 PM   #45
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

These cars have the capability to pop up a message when the cabin air has low flow. I bet the white tube is sending air pressure to a sensor and the software computes air flow or pressure vs fan position and knows when the cabin air filters need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:47 PM   #46
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Just replaced mine, not fun at all. 30k miles, should have been done at 20k by dealer. The part number on the ones removed is Mahle 64119361717, Pollen/Activated Carbon
I installed a set from Pelican, 64-11-5-A1B-DB6-M87
Activated carbon and activated charcoal is essentially the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 08:17 AM   #47
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

The filters are easy to find, here's a screen capture from Rock Auto showing a few different brands of which to choose from when searching by BMW, year, model, item.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #48
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Thank you! Commenting so I can find this later
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 07:59 AM   #49
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Thought I'd add to this thread as I just did this today in an effort to help with the odd 'glue' like smell I've been getting on my 2022 with 10k km's on it.

Coming from a Honda Pilot, this was a pain in the ass......

Covers/panels came off without much issue, but def made my stress level go up as its hard to see under there, and of course you are wondering if its all going to go back together smoothly. Def hard on the shoulders working in there too.

Couple things I noted:

1. After just under a year, my air filters still looked very clean. I was actually kind of disappointed as I was hoping to see dirty filters to explain some of the smell. But still replaced them anyway.

2. The cover for the filters that is held on with the two torx screws - it has two sort of clips on the back of it that hook into holders, each of which has two prongs. These prongs are delicate and when you go to put the cover back on, it you don't have it all properly aligned and try to force it in incorrectly, they will easily snap off...... Luckily I only broke one prong on one side. The cover was still able to secure into place no issues, and the gasket on the inside holds it on pretty tight too.

I have zero mechanical training, work in IT, and generally did some of my own work on my Honda pilot by watching youtube videos (battery, rear shocks, brake pads/rotors, spark plugs, filters).
Given that, and given this air filter swap took me about 20-30 minutes, I guess its fair to say its not -that- difficult, just be really careful with all those plastic tabs!!!
Appreciate 0