Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Just ignore him LexxM3, I'm certainly going to, obviously more interesting in stirring things up than contributing useful information. People like him usually only stick around a short period and when they realize folks won't engage in his nonsense on a regular basis they will be off to another site.
Yes yes, it's gotten to that point. For posterity, if you see me go into a sarcastic joking mode, I AM ignoring the content already as the actual discussion has clearly jumped the shark :-).
      07-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #134
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
If I was inclined to give benefit of the doubt (which I am not since BMW marketing regularly makes ludicrous anti-customer decisions), I imagine that BMW thought they were being forced to comply with some regulation and example of such a US regulation was previously presented. The regulation stated the *maximum* time that a rear camera is allowed to stay on after switching to D, and said nothing of how to handle front cameras if any at all or *minimum* time that the rear view *must* stay on. If this is the US regulation in question, then it was interpreted by a moron (yes, BMW has a few of those too). Regardless, even if some regulation that requires your logic in US exists, that regulation is simply wrong (there are quite a few wrong regulations in US too).

Driver wants/needs to see forward when going forward, and rear when going backward as a default and routine action. I can't imagine anyone sane arguing against that obvious and simple logic, but I noticed you didn't comment on whether you routinely look in the opposite direction of your walk? Do you?

Sure, I never said I was in disagreement with however you feel about this issue. I'm just saying I could understand why BMW decided to do it this way. Whatever we're discussing here are not mutually exclusive. And I also agree with there are some "bad", "weird", not "intuitive" decisions made by their designers and engineers over the years, however "flawed" maybe to us, but make total sense and logic to them. And in this case, their decision is totally justified and makes total sense. My main point was to say, this isn't a "broken" feature, could be enhanced with one less button to press, but it works perfectly fine and no real need to change, though I'd welcome such change, cuz you know: first world problem, and onset laziness
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #135
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post
Why not just be done with it and make it configurable? In US made cars some have the option to "delay" turning off the rear camera or having it turn off right away.

Why not simply have a toggle "Switch camera automatically to direction traveling after placing car in reverse"

I'll admit that too may be unavailable due to some stupid regulation in the US. "The public might view the camera and not the road ahead, heaven forbid..."

But it is available, I think most people are so focused on "this feature doesn't work, oh I hate it, it's annoying, BMW needs to change it", but totally missed what I have just explained, and why such decision is justified.

Based on some of the replies, I realized I might be the only one who knew about the auto view switch? Again, it can be activated by two ways: 1, pressing the autoPark button, or 2, when in R, manually turn the iDrive controller to select A view.

I think a great way to make everyone happy while comply to the regulation would be to remember driver's selection, but I have no hope for that to happen, considering: when in F series, the screen always showed rear view when in R, and had to manually select turn off rear view to show surround view, unless you press autoPark which is what I've done always. I found that to be annoying, but understand the logic: R is reverse, they think when you're back in D, you'd be driving off to the open road, no need for the screen to show what you can see through windshield; and P is parking which gives you all possible angels of views for a safer parking experience.

Yes it's annoying to have to press the autoPark or select the view instead of it being automatically engaged when in R. But such function is there, just less intuitive could be due to regulations most likely since it only behave as such in the US and Canada

"I'll admit that too may be unavailable due to some stupid regulation in the US. "The public might view the camera and not the road ahead, heaven forbid..." I can totally see that, how many of people used gas for brake pedals, and when in R but forget to switch back to D then caused accidents, too many!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #136
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Look, I know for a fact that I am smarter than you, so what's the point of arguing about that :-).

That's not even remotely possible.
Appreciate 1
parkstr8562.00
      07-19-2020, 12:04 AM   #137
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSAC View Post
Quote:
Why not just be done with it and make it configurable? In US made cars some have the option to "delay" turning off the rear camera or having it turn off right away.

Why not simply have a toggle "Switch camera automatically to direction traveling after placing car in reverse"

I'll admit that too may be unavailable due to some stupid regulation in the US. "The public might view the camera and not the road ahead, heaven forbid..."

But it is available, I think most people are so focused on "this feature doesn't work, oh I hate it, it's annoying, BMW needs to change it", but totally missed what I have just explained, and why such decision is justified.

Based on some of the replies, I realized I might be the only one who knew about the auto view switch? Again, it can be activated by two ways: 1, pressing the autoPark button, or 2, when in R, manually turn the iDrive controller to select A view.

I think a great way to make everyone happy while comply to the regulation would be to remember driver's selection, but I have no hope for that to happen, considering: when in F series, the screen always showed rear view when in R, and had to manually select turn off rear view to show surround view, unless you press autoPark which is what I've done always. I found that to be annoying, but understand the logic: R is reverse, they think when you're back in D, you'd be driving off to the open road, no need for the screen to show what you can see through windshield; and P is parking which gives you all possible angels of views for a safer parking experience.

Yes it's annoying to have to press the autoPark or select the view instead of it being automatically engaged when in R. But such function is there, just less intuitive could be due to regulations most likely since it only behave as such in the US and Canada

"I'll admit that too may be unavailable due to some stupid regulation in the US. "The public might view the camera and not the road ahead, heaven forbid..." I can totally see that, how many of people used gas for brake pedals, and when in R but forget to switch back to D then caused accidents, too many!
Yes that's a good point, if you switch it to D and that camera shows you've done that, it's unlikely you'll think you're in "R".

I also wonder how many people detested it when it switched to front view after setting the drive selector to "D". My guess is close to none.

They probably are doing it to comply with the US regulation, not that they're not smart about it. The regulation is what I question...
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 12:21 AM   #138
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's a good point, if you switch it to D and that camera shows you've done that, it's unlikely you'll think you're in "R".

I also wonder how many people detested it when it switched to front view after setting the drive selector to "D". My guess is close to none.

They probably are doing it to comply with the US regulation, not that they're not smart about it. The regulation is what I question...

Oh totally, and we're missing out on so many great features due to the regulations, oh well. Then again, companies need to label "Cautious, hot drink, may burn" to avoid lawsuits cuz some are too stupid haha. I mean only in Merica

"I also wonder how many people detested it when it switched to front view after setting the drive selector to "D". My guess is close to none." I think people didn't care either way, cuz before BMW made it auto switch, we were all perfectly happy with a backup camera and/or surround view. And now they changed how it function on NA cars, people feel like this is the biggest setback in automobile history, while the feature is still there all along, just needed to activate it differently.

But like I said, if you must have the auto view switch, just press autoPark or select A when you're already in Reverse
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:24 AM   #139
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
well that's the 07/2020.25 thread fkd then!

best to start a new thread on issues like this as there are many that subscribe to these threads just to hear about specific updates relating to the thread title itself.

3 pages of arguing about a specific feature issue is definitely worthy of its own thread guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:56 AM   #140
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
well that's the 07/2020.25 thread fkd then!

best to start a new thread on issues like this as there are many that subscribe to these threads just to hear about specific updates relating to the thread title itself.

3 pages of arguing about a specific feature issue is definitely worthy of its own thread guys.
The irony is that this feature hasn't changed at all with i-step 07/2020, so is irrelevant to the thread.

USA 'type' cars and Indian cars with i-step 1903 and later, or Korean cars with i-step 1907 and later, get the 'special' behaviour.

All other ECE type cars get the expected behaviour.

To add my 2 cents, there is no valid scenario where putting the car in Drive displays the Rear camera. How are you supposed to complete a 3-point-turn or other more complex manoeuvre?

It's worse than having no cameras at all- at least then you would be fully focused on the mirrors and other surroundings, rather than switching between the cameras and windscreen etc.
Appreciate 4
LexxM31698.50
TurtleBoy13274.50
volodp198.00
      07-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #141
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
The Automatic Window app seems to be working fine. I set an activation point on the side of the road right before my mailbox and when I hit that spot my window opens. When I have time I would like to do some more testing to see how accurate the spot is as well as if there is a speed limit on it for opening.
It looks like Automatic Window app is not tied to either 03/2020.xx nor 07/2020.xx. I am on 11/2019.40 in Canada and got the Automatic Window app today when I did the Update Apps and Services. It's good for those that need it, but I can't think of a situation in my current lifestyle where I could use it.
TurtleBoy13274.50
volodp198.00
      07-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #142
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
It looks like Automatic Window app is not tied to either 03/2020.xx nor 07/2020.xx. I am on 11/2019.40 in Canada and got the Automatic Window app today when I did the Update Apps and Services. It's good for those that need it, but I can't think of a situation in my current lifestyle where I could use it.
Very good, thanks for the info. When you get down to it, no one really needs an app to save a button push but we are spoiled. Hopefully the next version will have the ability to add an activation point for the window to go up. Then again, that could be a safety issue so we probably won't see that.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #143
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Very good, thanks for the info. When you get down to it, no one really needs an app to save a button push but we are spoiled. Hopefully the next version will have the ability to add an activation point for the window to go up. Then again, that could be a safety issue so we probably won't see that.
Yap. I would definitely like to see BMW software resources committed to more important things like proper camera control and many other bugs, rather than Caring Cars, Weird Experience Modes, and this kind of thing, but at least Automatic Window is not a complete waste of time like the other two.

I did think of one situation where I regularly put my window down and that's a specific automatic car wash ... but that's the exact situation where I want to be in full control of my windows and no chance of anything opening automatically. LOL.
      07-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #144
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
It sounds like you don't know understand how the camera is working since you are just referring to reversing, that is not in question. Why don't you enlighten us on the specific reason why the screen shows the rear camera rather than the front one when going forward?
Do you know that the camera does switch when you are in a open parking lot when there is no obstacle around?

It only stays with the rear view when there are obstacles in the vicinity.

As to the showing the front camera - I always find it optional as you can... just use your eyes and look forward! If there is any rare case scenario that there is something out of sight, the just press a single button for the panaromic view (which I find it to be better), or change the camera view!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #145
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Do you know that the camera does switch when you are in a open parking lot when there is no obstacle around?

It only stays with the rear view when there are obstacles in the vicinity.

As to the showing the front camera - I always find it optional as you can... just use your eyes and look forward! If there is any rare case scenario that there is something out of sight, the just press a single button for the panaromic view (which I find it to be better), or change the camera view!
That is not correct, the camera view stays on the rear even when there is nothing in front of the vehicle or behind it. Happens every time I back out of my garage and then turn to go down my driveway. Hitting the button is not part of the discussion.

Here is an example, clearly no obstacles around and still shows the rear view.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 07-19-2020 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Added video
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #146
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
To add my 2 cents, there is no valid scenario where putting the car in Drive displays the Rear camera. How are you supposed to complete a 3-point-turn or other more complex manoeuvre?
Actually, in this situation, the camera would switch automatically as there is unlikely to be any obstacles around.
But I don't know why you need the front camera view though, I usually just use the surround view to check for curbs - much better than the front camera view.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:49 AM   #147
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
That is not correct, the camera view stays on the rear even when there is nothing in front of the vehicle or behind it. Happens every time I back out of my garage and then turn to go down my driveway. Hitting the button is not part of the discussion.

Here is an example, clearly no obstacles around and still shows the rear view.

Holy Crap, thank Fk you have 360 cameras you nearly hit that bush only joking, that place looks beautiful, i only wish we had that much room here in the UK. Im very jealous indeed mate!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:51 AM   #148
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Actually, in this situation, the camera would switch automatically as there is unlikely to be any obstacles around.
But I don't know why you need the front camera view though, I usually just use the surround view to check for curbs - much better than the front camera view.
If it switched automatically we wouldn't be discussing this?

Mine switches. Mine is coded by default to do that. Others do not switch so I provided coding to address that.

Am I missing something, as I've never had an issue with this other than when I deliberately broke it to prove the coding worked?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:08 AM   #149
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Question

Quote:
If it switched automatically we wouldn't be discussing this?

Mine switches. Mine is coded by default to do that. Others do not switch so I provided coding to address that.

Am I missing something, as I've never had an issue with this other than when I deliberately broke it to prove the coding worked?
I'm genuinely trying to understand what the issue is with the cameras?
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      07-20-2020, 03:32 AM   #150
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm genuinely trying to understand what the issue is with the cameras?
It's not a problem in the UK so hard to figure.

Imagine you are in a crowded carpark and reverse out of space. Camera correctly displays whats behind so you focus on that.

You put it in drive to move forward but you aren't going to clear it in one go. You're not the best at parking bless you. The camera would normally shift automatically to front view so you can see how close you are etc, but in the USA 'type' case it stays in rear view. Handy to make sure no-one is trying to get in the trunk to steal your shopping, but not very helpful for the manoeuvre.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:46 AM   #151
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's not a problem in the UK so hard to figure.

Imagine you are in a crowded carpark and reverse out of space. Camera correctly displays whats behind so you focus on that.

You put it in drive to move forward but you aren't going to clear it in one go. You're not the best at parking bless you. The camera would normally shift automatically to front view so you can see how close you are etc, but in the USA 'type' case it stays in rear view. Handy to make sure no-one is trying to get in the trunk to steal your shopping, but not very helpful for the manoeuvre.
Ah I see, it was like this on earlier BMWs in the UK also. VW always had this on the golf 7, same era BMW didn’t work. Always had to manually switch it on. I get it now. Legislation issue, not firmware. Same with laser lights
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:49 AM   #152
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Holy Crap, thank Fk you have 360 cameras you nearly hit that bush only joking, that place looks beautiful, i only wish we had that much room here in the UK. Im very jealous indeed mate!
Just cleared it. I actually watch a lot of British TV and occasionally see Escape to the Country. You have some beautiful acreage over there but probably not as close and/or affordable as most people would like. Have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #153
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Just to follow-up on the cameras. My brother just bought a Palisades and the way the cameras work is when he goes into reverse the rear camera is displayed and when he switches to drive the front camera is displayed until he goes over 10mph. As expected, there is no regulation requiring the camera to stay on the rear.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      07-23-2020, 04:51 AM   #154
Bianx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

i got the update last week via dealer, who actually called me and said that my car needed to come in for a 'technical update' issued by BMW. Android now supported.
Appreciate 0