BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-25-2023, 01:52 PM   #1
skiboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0i; 2023 X3 M40i

To LCI? Or not?

Hi - My 2019 X5 40i will be 5 years old this spring and the warranties will expire. The car is nicely equipped with driver assist pro, massage/vent seats, air suspension, HK radio, and integral active steering. Other than some initial electrical/software issues we've never had a problem and I've kept up its maintenance schedule. I don't have an independent shop I trust so if I keep the car post warranty period it will probably have to go back to the dealer for any issues.

So, I'm considering trading it in for a new LCI x5 50i - get a little electric boost and a car with a new warranty. I've read mostly good things about the LCI but there are things we'll have to give up; active steering, air suspension, laser lights, and buttons that actually do things like work the hvac.

Our other car (mine) is a 2023 X3 m40i that I absolutely love. The differences between the 2 vehicles are a subject for a separate thread...

Has anyone who traded from the early G05's to the LCI had a bad reaction to the new ergonomics? Missed the active steering? Would you keep a 5 year old X5 past its warranty if you had to get it serviced at the dealer? Thanks in advance for your comments.
2005 X3
2000 330i
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska158.50
      12-25-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

nobody can really tell you what to do specifically. if you have a good relationship with your dealer, maybe you can ask them to loan you a LCI x5 50i to keep for a week and see how you like it, if you like the new screen and can get used to idrive 8.5 and then make up your mind.

I had the LCI for two weeks. it didnt really offer anything that I dont already have in my pre-LCI. There's a big thread we made discussing the LCI changes some of us didnt like and so I didnt find any compelling reason to trade my 2020 in. I'm happy to keep my car and continue to perform whatever maintenance I need to do to keep it happy and running. I have a good relationship with the service department at my local dealer and plan to keep doing maintenance there.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt373.50
      12-25-2023, 02:25 PM   #3
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Not sure if you mean an X5 40i or X5 M60i. Go for the 2024 LCI, no question, nothing like a new vehicle.
Appreciate 1
TN2SC2020155.00
      12-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

If you are happy with the vehicle and are not wanting something new then probably best to keep it and see how things look in a few years when the next gen X5 comes out. The things that are missing for you in the LCI may bother you and cause buyer’s regret.

Unless you have some very bad luck it is going to be less expensive keeping it than buying a new one.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 2
      12-25-2023, 03:44 PM   #5
cobramite
Banned
Rep

You will obviously get a medley of responses to your question which is actually a good one.
Take it from a person who owns and has driven an LCI for over 5 months, the LCI is the way to go and yes it will cost something to make this upgrade as expected. i would do it again, no question about that but I am a person who likes new vehicles.
Mine is an M60i and the mild hybrid assist that is available for duty when called upon by the onboard wizzardry is very noticeable.
I walked out of an M50i and directly into an M60i and can tell you that it feels more refined and is absolutely more powerful. The new expanded display in the LCI is just awesome.
Go drive one and decide for yourself.
Best of luck with whatever choice you ultimately make.

Last edited by cobramite; 12-25-2023 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-25-2023, 05:59 PM   #6
crackerjack15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Air suspension is standard on the 50e.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 09:14 AM   #7
skiboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0i; 2023 X3 M40i

Many thanks...I guess test drives are the only way to know. And even then, one must live with ones decisions
2005 X3
2000 330i
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2023, 06:57 AM   #8
andernela
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
You will obviously get a medley of responses to your question which is actually a good one.
Take it from a person who owns and has driven an LCI for over 5 months, the LCI is the way to go and yes it will cost something to make this upgrade as expected. i would do it again, no question about that but I am a person who likes new vehicles.
Mine is an M60i and the mild hybrid assist that is available for duty when called upon by the onboard wizzardry is very noticeable.
I walked out of an M50i and directly into an M60i and can tell you that it feels more refined and is absolutely more powerful. The new expanded display in the LCI is just awesome.
Go drive one and decide for yourself.
Best of luck with whatever choice you ultimately make.
I came from m50 to M60 couple of months ago and support all is said above 100%.
I am in love with iDrive 8.5 - after spending some time and organizing the menu, shortcuts etc it feels very intuitive and smooth.
Many people are annoyed that there is no way in M60 to turn off the start/stop engine but due to the mild hybrid it works much smoother than on preLCI, I barely even notice it.
I my opinion, the steering wheel became lighter and more precise. I also noticed that the car is quieter especially on speeds after 85 mph.
My new car is equipped with air suspension and to me it's a game changer. On a comfort mode it's very comfortable and smooth, you feel like it's a X7. But if you turn it to a sport+ the car changes dramatically in behavior- exhaust is rumbling, steering is heavy, air suspension lowers down the car . Very interesting change.
Appreciate 4
RNorb242.00
Mattl08061005.50
cobramite1229.00
TN2SC2020155.00
      12-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #9
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
There's two reasons to get a new car, financial and emotional.

In this case, your 40i concern is "out of warranty". Buying a BMW ESC for several more years will easily cover that, and be FAR cheaper than upgrading cars.

Emotionally, it's a question of if you want something new or not. If you want a little more pep (like the hybrid boost would offer), throw a tune on your B58. It's gonna be out of warranty anyways, and that motor has shown to hold up to and respond to mild mods VERY well. It sounds like features wise, you'd be looking at a downgrade in the new car.

To me, the answer is simple, buy an extended service contract and a tune and enjoy the savings and superior features of your car.
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      12-28-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andernela View Post
I came from m50 to M60 couple of months ago and support all is said above 100%.
I am in love with iDrive 8.5 - after spending some time and organizing the menu, shortcuts etc it feels very intuitive and smooth.
Many people are annoyed that there is no way in M60 to turn off the start/stop engine but due to the mild hybrid it works much smoother than on preLCI, I barely even notice it.
I my opinion, the steering wheel became lighter and more precise. I also noticed that the car is quieter especially on speeds after 85 mph.
My new car is equipped with air suspension and to me it's a game changer. On a comfort mode it's very comfortable and smooth, you feel like it's a X7. But if you turn it to a sport+ the car changes dramatically in behavior- exhaust is rumbling, steering is heavy, air suspension lowers down the car . Very interesting change.
Agree with everything you have stated above. You own an LCI and are realizing all the refinements and upgrades. The idrive in this LCI along with the expanded display are really slick.
Glad you are happy with your LCI. I love mine along with the power increase which as an M60i owner i am sure you are well aware of.
Rock on and enjoy the new ride!

Last edited by cobramite; 12-28-2023 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2023, 09:03 AM   #11
andernela
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M60i

Quote:
Agree with everything you have stated above. You own an LCI and are realizing all the refinements and upgrades. It is usually after a few of us LCI owners have very positively remarked about the '24 G05/G06 that the wet blankets who own older models or generations burst forth about buttons and other stupidity. They should be incoming shortly.
Glad you are happy with your LCI. I love mine along with the power increase which as an M60i owner i am sure you are well aware of.
Rock on and enjoy the new ride!
Thank you for pointing out that the m60 feels more powerful. That’s for sure. I haven’t used its full potential yet, still warming up the car (I have only driven 500 miles so far), but lots of YouTube bloggers confirm that the m60 is faster than the m50.

I also kind of laugh at those YouTube guys who make car reviews and after 5 minutes of trying iDrive, they say it’s complicated. WTF? It’s a new technological world and it requires some learning curve. As I said above, the new iDrive 8.5 is a state of the art to me and no physical buttons are needed anymore. It’s very comfortable to use.IMHO
Appreciate 3
      12-28-2023, 10:11 PM   #12
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'll chime in.... I have an X5 M50i and have now spent several hundred miles driving my moms new X7 M60i over Thanksgiving and now Christmas. iDrive 8.5 is a downgrade from iDrive 7. In the end, with all things considered, what does it do so much better than iDrive 7?

Yes it has a big screen and mimics the layout of a tablet or smart phone but the lack of buttons requires extra steps for so many functions. Want to turn up the fan? Ok, completely stop paying attention to driving, find the fan button on the screen, touch it, find the fan speed button press it. Sounds simple but it takes muscle memory out of the equation as compared to a physical button. People will chime in with how well Auto works with the HVAC but I don't use auto.... I manage it myself as I am a bit picky

Spent lots of time just sitting in the driveway as well exploring the new setup. Hey BMW still takes longer than just pushing a button as well and does not work every time. Anyone who denies that this was purely another cost cutting measure to manage through software is confused.

As far as power, I also have an X7 M50i (technically my fiance's daily) and it doesn't feel all that different..... assume the same would be for the X5. It sounds like a 6 cylinder at best since they castrated the sound when moving to the mild hybrid setup.

Just my opinion, but if I had a 23 X5 and a 24 X5 side by side with all options being the same, I'd pick the pre LCI.

Last edited by avi8tir; 12-28-2023 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 4
spoodle175.50
swainbmw531.50
AGONXF30295.00
JALS26.50
      12-29-2023, 06:39 AM   #13
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I'll chime in.... I have an X5 M50i and have now spent several hundred miles driving my moms new X7 M60i over Thanksgiving and now Christmas. iDrive 8.5 is a downgrade from iDrive 7. In the end, with all things considered, what does it do so much better than iDrive 7?

Yes it has a big screen and mimics the layout of a tablet or smart phone but the lack of buttons requires extra steps for so many functions. Want to turn up the fan? Ok, completely stop paying attention to driving, find the fan button on the screen, touch it, find the fan speed button press it. Sounds simple but it takes muscle memory out of the equation as compared to a physical button. People will chime in with how well Auto works with the HVAC but I don't use auto.... I manage it myself as I am a bit picky

Spent lots of time just sitting in the driveway as well exploring the new setup. Hey BMW still takes longer than just pushing a button as well and does not work every time. Anyone who denies that this was purely another cost cutting measure to manage through software is confused.

As far as power, I also have an X7 M50i (technically my fiance's daily) and it doesn't feel all that different..... assume the same would be for the X5. It sounds like a 6 cylinder at best since they castrated the sound when moving to the mild hybrid setup.

Just my opinion, but if I had a 23 X5 and a 24 X5 side by side with all options being the same, I'd pick the pre LCI.
Stick with your M50i. I traded one 5 months ago and yes it is a fantastic vehicle but the M60i is superior in many ways whether you would care to believe so or not.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2023, 06:55 AM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andernela View Post
Thank you for pointing out that the m60 feels more powerful. That’s for sure. I haven’t used its full potential yet, still warming up the car (I have only driven 500 miles so far), but lots of YouTube bloggers confirm that the m60 is faster than the m50.

I also kind of laugh at those YouTube guys who make car reviews and after 5 minutes of trying iDrive, they say it’s complicated. WTF? It’s a new technological world and it requires some learning curve. As I said above, the new iDrive 8.5 is a state of the art to me and no physical buttons are needed anymore. It’s very comfortable to use.IMHO
TBH I would not buy a car based on a YouTube video. These are videos made by people who are not going to DD or live with these vehicles. I agree that both ‘feels’ faster or ‘UI is complicated’ are very subjective. Hence why you should drive it. Most people won’t use their vehicles like a YouTube reviewer.

My 2 cents is that the LCI is a nice update. I find the MSport styling looks more sporty now. Again, subjective.

Also, why not test drive a Cayenne S for comparison? I have switched between RRS, Cayenne and X5 and enjoyed them all. Each has it’s pros and cons. However, IMHO the G05 original and LCI are close enough that if you don’t like one, you won’t like the other and vice versa…

You should test drive and decide for yourself. I think some of the options on the 2019 such as rear luggage package, the acoustic glass on the side windows, the 4 door comfort access and air suspension for the M50i etc are not available now…so it depends on what options you have on yours. Personally I like iDrive 8.5 on my wife’s iX.
Appreciate 1
TN2SC2020155.00
      12-30-2023, 12:52 AM   #15
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Me too. Top two things that are a significant downgrade on the LCI are the removal of comfort access switches from the rear doors - if you’re going to make them work like a Kia Telluride you need to charge less money, BMW :-) - and the removal of physical buttons - HVAC, DAP, steering wheel heat. Throw in that the displays look cheaply tacked onto the dash, rather than integrated with a cowl, and even interior appearance takes a hit.

But hey, your mileage may vary, and you may be ok with the changes. Good luck making a decision, and enjoy your new ride, whichever direction you go…..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 07:20 AM   #16
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Amazing how some guys find the need to crap all over the pleasure and enjoyment that many of share about our new LCI purchases.
We understand, some cannot possibly imagine or would have no ability to adapt to the integration of a few controls in the LCI. Huge deal breaker for them but does the wet blanket need to be cast every time the subject arises. It really becomes redundant and does begin to sound like a broken record.
I find it odd that integrated switching gear is present on a $350,000 Lamborghini Urus but a deal breaker for a guy driving an aging BMW or pick up truck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
poison88.50
      12-30-2023, 08:46 AM   #17
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Amazing how some guys find the need to crap all over the pleasure and enjoyment that many of share about our new LCI purchases.
We understand, some cannot possibly imagine or would have no ability to adapt to the integration of a few controls in the LCI. Huge deal breaker for them but does the wet blanket need to be cast every time the subject arises. It really becomes redundant and does begin to sound like a broken record.
I find it odd that integrated switching gear is present on a $350,000 Lamborghini Urus but a deal breaker for a guy driving an aging BMW or pick up truck.

Comparing a Lambo to a BMW isn't even a relevant conversation. When I bought my Scuderia many years ago I certainly wasn't complaining about the shitty radio or the lack of carpet. And if I bought a Urus I certainly wouldn't be buying it for the HVAC controls.... I'd be buying it for the douche lime green paint job

It's ok if people think a newer model is a downgrade in certain aspects. That's just how it is. I would bet (I love Vegas) that if you went to all LCI owners that had owned a pre-LCI and asked them if they wanted, at the very least, the programmable buttons back, 99% of them would say yes. This, through simple logic, would indicate that the change to remove said buttons would be considered...... (drumroll)...... a downgrade.
Appreciate 3
FCX52410.50
Treeboy228.00
swainbmw531.50
      12-30-2023, 09:00 AM   #18
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Comparing a Lambo to a BMW isn't even a relevant conversation. When I bought my Scuderia many years ago I certainly wasn't complaining about the shitty radio or the lack of carpet. And if I bought a Urus I certainly wouldn't be buying it for the HVAC controls.... I'd be buying it for the douche lime green paint job

It's ok if people think a newer model is a downgrade in certain aspects. That's just how it is. I would bet (I love Vegas) that if you went to all LCI owners that had owned a pre-LCI and asked them if they wanted, at the very least, the programmable buttons back, 99% of them would say yes. This, through simple logic, would indicate that the change to remove said buttons would be considered...... (drumroll)...... a downgrade.
Oh, OK, silly me. Glad that you straightened me out on Lamborghinis, I'll pass that enlightenment on to my daughter and son in law who have bought 3 new ones(Huracan, Aventador, and Urus) in the past 2 years.
How about an SL Mercedes? Integrated switches seem to work there also or is this another that doesn't matter? Keep in mind that there is a very lengthy list in this regard.
Attached Images

Last edited by cobramite; 12-30-2023 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2023, 09:20 AM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
It must be a terrible feeling to be so insecure about your purchase. Maybe in the new year you will get the maturity to deal with it.
arRod1981938.50
Jszlaga480.50
eelnoraa2079.00
hiluca69.50
hotvee141.00
Jen4BMW788.00
      12-30-2023, 09:40 AM   #20
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It must be a terrible feeling to be so insecure about your purchase. Maybe in the new year you will get the maturity to deal with it.
Really? What about the gang who pounces on each and every thread where recent LCI adopters are discussing the enjoyment they recieve from these new models and are then told how bad they are? What about that? Do you have any psychoanalysis for them?
I see no one here including myself who appears to be the least bit "insecure" about their purchase of the current GO5/G06.
Happy New Year my friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #21
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Really? What about the gang who pounces on each and every thread where recent LCI adopters are discussing the enjoyment they recieve from these new models and are then told how bad they are? What about that? Do you have any psychoanalysis for them?
I see no one here including myself who appears to be the least bit "insecure" about their purchase of the current GO5/G06.
Happy New Year my friend.
As we have gone over many, many, many times. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the LCI and everyone's opinion is valid. There is no point is constantly trying to demean not only their opinion but the poster themselves. A few times you even agreed that you would stop but of course that only lasts a very short time. I'm only guessing that is insecurity or a lack of maturity that is causing you to act like that but I guess it could be any number of other physical or mental reasons for it.

Even though it has been mentioned, you don't seem to realize how bad it makes you look. You are the joke of this forum due to how you treat people and the way you post. It sort of is unfortunate because at times it seems you are lucid enough to have a decent conversation and have something to contribute to the forum. Unfortunately that is a very small minority of your posts and in the overwhelming majority it is obvious you are reacting viscerally with little to no logical thought being put into what you are writing. Hopefully the new year will be better.
dan149568.50
ST3339.50
hiluca69.50
hotvee141.00
Jen4BMW788.00
      12-30-2023, 09:57 AM   #22
TheCookieMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 Mini Clubman S

My favorite pastime: watching turtleboy and cobramite bicker
Appreciate 9