Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydilles View Post
Dear people canceling their orders due to no wireless charging, please don't do it just for that reason alone.

Seriously - it's really slow to charge vs a cable, overheats your phone significantly (there's an iPhone overheat thread lurking somewhere), and I haven't found a noticeable increase to reception via the signal booster. iPhone 12 mini, sans-case, and a Samsung N20U, also no case, with the same results, and neither being used for navigation or anything intensive.

It's great in a pinch for a friend who's got a different phone, but that's also easily remedied by having a spare Lightning/USB-C cable in the console, if you're indeed having that challenge so often.

Losing HK would definitely be a deal breaker for me, but having had a G05 for 1.5 years with their poor implementation of wireless charging, WC would definitely not.
Appreciate the insight. TBH I was thinking about not following through with the purchase at delivery if it doesn't come with the wireless charging, but maybe I'm over thinking it.

Is it fair to assume that I'll still be able to use Android Auto if it doesn't come with the wireless charger? I believe it's via bluetooth so I think it doesn't matter.
Yes, safe assumption you'll retain AA as that's from the software and Bluetooth/WiFi hardware, and has no connection to the charger module.

That said, there was a thread earlier today where a BMW Genius seemed to be of the opinion that AA had been removed for the rest of MY21 - but most of us are pretty sure they are wrong and just not wanting to deal with the real issue happening for that customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 04:25 AM   #46
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Quote:
Dear people canceling their orders due to no wireless charging, please don't do it just for that reason alone.

Seriously - it's really slow to charge vs a cable, overheats your phone significantly (there's an iPhone overheat thread lurking somewhere), and I haven't found a noticeable increase to reception via the signal booster. iPhone 12 mini, sans-case, and a Samsung N20U, also no case, with the same results, and neither being used for navigation or anything intensive.

It's great in a pinch for a friend who's got a different phone, but that's also easily remedied by having a spare Lightning/USB-C cable in the console, if you're indeed having that challenge so often.

Losing HK would definitely be a deal breaker for me, but having had a G05 for 1.5 years with their poor implementation of wireless charging, WC would definitely not.
What "signal booster" ?
How do you know you have it?
I'll point you here, mate. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1564175

TLDR; everyone apparently has it as part of the telecoms relay in the shark fin, and seems to work regardless of registration (though we should be registering them to properly follow FCC rules).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 06:05 AM   #47
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
I'll point you here, mate. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1564175

TLDR; everyone apparently has it as part of the telecoms relay in the shark fin, and seems to work regardless of registration (though we should be registering them to properly follow FCC rules).
Thank you. So to recap, if you place your phone on this charging pad - it will just work. No need to register unless you’re in love with the government.
Got it.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #48
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Don't cancel your X5 order just because of HK either. Get Bavsound instead. Plug and play to BMWs. Better than HK and reasonable cost for aftermarket speakers.
      05-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #49
cggizmo
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingrnyc View Post
I spoke to a BMW Genius before and I was told similar things. On the other hand my CA keeps telling me that I should expect a delay (I guess I just don't like to hear bad news) Finishing production in W21 probably does mean I should have a VIN soon - do you have yours yet?
Checked my build status this morning and it's now in "Production Begin" and VIN is assigned. BMW Genius said it entered production today and it's scheduled to finish on 5/27 at the latest. So far only HK upgrade has been taken off. M Sports, Hitch, exec, M brakes, etc are still in the specs.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #50
racingrnyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, X5 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cggizmo View Post
Checked my build status this morning and it's now in "Production Begin" and VIN is assigned. BMW Genius said it entered production today and it's scheduled to finish on 5/27 at the latest. So far only HK upgrade has been taken off. M Sports, Hitch, exec, M brakes, etc are still in the specs.
That's awesome man - congrats! Looks like HK is the critical factor here. Hopefully I get my VIN soon as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #51
alamai
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
Don't cancel your X5 order just because of HK either. Get Bavsound instead. Plug and play to BMWs. Better than HK and reasonable cost for aftermarket speakers.
Yup; that is what I am going to do. Bavsound is a good solution to missing HK option because of chip shortage.
Canceling an order over missing HK is an overreaction...most of what makes it an X5 is still there. Who knows what else will be missing from MY22's?!
Appreciate 0