BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

BM3 tuning Downpipes (MVP motoring)

Didn't get any response last one maybe it just got lost in the sauce or does no one here like BM3 products?

https://www.bm3tuning.com/bmw-f9x/ne...-x6m-downpipes

Sound in video with some close up shots installed on IG

04-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I think those that are willing to lose warranty are waiting for BM3.

With the recent events seems like BMW are auto flagging cars with flash tunes so something to keep in mind. I wouldn’t trust anyone that tells you otherwise.

Not something I want risk personally because this is one expensive motor.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I think those that are willing to lose warranty are waiting for BM3.

With the recent events seems like BMW are auto flagging cars with flash tunes so something to keep in mind. I wouldn't trust anyone that tells you otherwise.

Not something I want risk personally because this is one expensive motor.

Alan
No tune. I wouldn't mess with my warranty either.

Just talking about getting Downpipes and a spacer to kill the CEL. Cars a little too quiet for my tastes, Want to wake her up. Running the akra I'm sure you can get it!
      04-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
Didn't get any response last one maybe it just got lost in the sauce or does no one here like BM3 products?

I have their catted downpipes waiting to be installed. No tune for me though as auto flag is a real thing. Likely no issues with DPs but a flash tune is a guaranteed warranty issue now and your dealer can't help you there.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
Quote:

I have their catted downpipes waiting to be installed. No tune for me though as auto flag is a real thing. Likely no issues with DPs but a flash tune is a guaranteed warranty issue now and your dealer can't help you there.
Right. I'm just going for the DP. Just wanted to throw the BM3 link on there since I posted the same product from their own website and no one responded, figured since people have used BM3 in the past that they'd see the pipes are sold from a legitimate source.

Please let us know how they sound!!
      05-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right. I'm just going for the DP. Just wanted to throw the BM3 link on there since I posted the same product from their own website and no one responded, figured since people have used BM3 in the past that they'd see the pipes are sold from a legitimate source.

Got the DPs installed last week. Install went smooth. About 4 hours with no issues. My tech said they were well built and the brackets were easy to manipulate to fit the OEM connections.

Sound wise, they are loud. Cold start is very loud for a few seconds until the revs go down. I also have an X pipe so that may enhance the cold start. Once they settle down though, they're not too loud. A nice rumble at idle like a high powered V8 should sound like. Not overpowering but enough that if someone walks by they know there's something special about the truck.

In comfort mode, you can hear the turbos spooling and whistling with the windows down, but it's pretty quiet during driving. No drone at all. Definitely a sound improvement when you step on it in comfort but otherwise business as usual. In sport plus, it sounds fantastic. Serious exhaust sound, turbo spool, and whistle at WOT and bangs during manual gear shifts. I also get some burbles when the revs drop low during slowdown. Intoxicating if you ask me. Paired with a better exhaust system it must be heaven.

They do smell some so that takes getting used to. Especially when the truck first starts up. Seems to ease up after the engine is warm but it's noticeable. Nothing like a catless DP but there's definitely hydrocarbons.

I did get a CEL after 4 days. I tried using O2 spacers and driving slow until the cats were fully warm. No luck. So I have a little obd2 reader in the Trunk when needed.

Performance seems to be improved, but mostly up top. The torque curve seems to have shifted higher up the Rev range but too end its very strong. Haven't done any dragy yet but will soon and report back. If someone can tell me how to post videos I'm happy to do so
Appreciate 4
ed41367.50
HZX540e373.50
      05-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #7
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Quote:
Got the DPs installed last week. Install went smooth. About 4 hours with no issues. My tech said they were well built and the brackets were easy to manipulate to fit the OEM connections.

Sound wise, they are loud. Cold start is very loud for a few seconds until the revs go down. I also have an X pipe so that may enhance the cold start. Once they settle down though, they're not too loud. A nice rumble at idle like a high powered V8 should sound like. Not overpowering but enough that if someone walks by they know there's something special about the truck.

In comfort mode, you can hear the turbos spooling and whistling with the windows down, but it's pretty quiet during driving. No drone at all. Definitely a sound improvement when you step on it in comfort but otherwise business as usual. In sport plus, it sounds fantastic. Serious exhaust sound, turbo spool, and whistle at WOT and bangs during manual gear shifts. I also get some burbles when the revs drop low during slowdown. Intoxicating if you ask me. Paired with a better exhaust system it must be heaven.

They do smell some so that takes getting used to. Especially when the truck first starts up. Seems to ease up after the engine is warm but it's noticeable. Nothing like a catless DP but there's definitely hydrocarbons.

I did get a CEL after 4 days. I tried using O2 spacers and driving slow until the cats were fully warm. No luck. So I have a little obd2 reader in the Trunk when needed.

Performance seems to be improved, but mostly up top. The torque curve seems to have shifted higher up the Rev range but too end its very strong. Haven't done any dragy yet but will soon and report back. If someone can tell me how to post videos I'm happy to do so
Nice writeup. I'm rocking lower secondaries and I have that unpragmatic itch for installing primary catless downpipes.

When resetting your CEL using your OBD2 tool, how long does your CEL stay off until the next cycle? Thanks in advance!

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4 View Post
Quote:

Nice writeup. I'm rocking lower secondaries and I have that unpragmatic itch for installing primary catless downpipes.

When resetting your CEL using your OBD2 tool, how long does your CEL stay off until the next cycle? Thanks in advance!
If you can deal with the smell and added sound, I'd definitely go for the catless. Primary reason I went catted was because I have 3 kids in the car everyday so catless would've been overboard for daily driving. I also wanted to try and get an inspection sticker (which I did get after DP install). You'll love the sound and performance increase.

I reset the CEL on Friday afternoon and so far it has not Come back on. I've driven quite a bit since then, especially a lot of cycles, so crossing my fingers. I also notice the car driving better/stronger the last couple days so maybe theres some adaptation taking place...
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Quote:
If you can deal with the smell and added sound, I'd definitely go for the catless. Primary reason I went catted was because I have 3 kids in the car everyday so catless would've been overboard for daily driving. I also wanted to try and get an inspection sticker (which I did get after DP install). You'll love the sound and performance increase.

I reset the CEL on Friday afternoon and so far it has not Come back on. I've driven quite a bit since then, especially a lot of cycles, so crossing my fingers. I also notice the car driving better/stronger the last couple days so maybe theres some adaptation taking place...
Very helpful, however this is definitely not my first rodeo. I had full catless on my C63, which had 4 cats, and with its 6.2 L motor, the smell was most unholy. I also did full catless on my F10 M5, which in comparison to my C63, smelled like an idling Prius.

I do it primarily for the sound, the performance gains are secondary.

How many miles do you estimate you put on since your last CEL reset?

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #10
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you try....

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+10+10+013.html

My tech says they've worked in the past.
I'm getting my catless primary and secondaries (no kids, just a gf who's gonna have to deal with it) installed Monday!

Which X pipe did you use?

As for the video, just post a YouTube link!
      05-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4 View Post
Quote:

Very helpful, however this is definitely not my first rodeo. I had full catless on my C63, which had 4 cats, and with its 6.2 L motor, the smell was most unholy. I also did full catless on my F10 M5, which in comparison to my C63, smelled like an idling Prius.

I do it primarily for the sound, the performance gains are secondary.

How many miles do you estimate you put on since your last CEL reset?
I'd say at least 500 miles and still no CEL
Appreciate 1
ed41367.50
      05-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you try....

I'm getting my catless primary and secondaries (no kids, just a gf who's gonna have to deal with it) installed Monday!

I looked at getting mini cats but the cost and availability were an issue. So far I've only gotten one CEL in over a week so we'll see.

I had a local muffler shop do the x pipe so no idea brand. It was pretty low cost for the work

I'll try to post some videos to YouTube.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #13
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you try....

I looked at getting mini cats but the cost and availability were an issue. So far I've only gotten one CEL in over a week so we'll see.

I had a local muffler shop do the x pipe so no idea brand. It was pretty low cost for the work

I'll try to post some videos to YouTube.
I love it. Why not? With some of the more simple parts under the car... Pipes are pipes at the end of the day... no need to spend 3,900$ (exaggeration) on an x pipe just because it was made in Germany when you can have a local exhaust shop fab you one that probably works just as well.
      05-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #14
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Are you catless in two downpipes so you changed primary downpipe or only secondary ?

And about CEL is your car US version or EU ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #15
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Can't imagine going catless in this type of a vehicle. Catless is for ricers and hillbillies. The smell is that of an old school bus.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #16
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabimmer View Post
Are you catless in two downpipes so you changed primary downpipe or only secondary ?

I replaced the primary CAT with a 200 cell and removed the secondary CAT lower (straight pipe)

It's a US car
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #17
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Can't imagine going catless in this type of a vehicle. Catless is for ricers and hillbillies. The smell is that of an old school bus.
That's exactly why I replaced the primary CAT with 200 cell and only deleted the Secondary.

I didn't want the smell from catless. The 200 cell smells a bit if you're back by the pipes, especially after a cold start, but it's tolerable after warm up.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 02:12 AM   #18
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I'm a Ricer hillbilly
      05-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #19
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Wanted to follow up that it has been over a week and a half, and quite a lot of miles, since i reset my first CEL for the catted DPs. Not sure if the car adapted, or the CATs broke in a bit and O2 spacer is doing its job, but I'm happy to report no CEL.

I have been driving it much harder than I did the first few days after installing so perhaps that has something to do with it. All my drives are a full warm up cycle too, so that could be helping with CAT efficiency.

Only thing I'm still experimenting with is boost settings on my RaceChip. Oddly, the car feels faster on lower settings (3-4) versus stock DPs which I always ran at Map 6 or 7. I'll do some Dragy runs 0-60 and 60-130 to compare as I did some previous to the DP install.

Videos to come soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #20
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Quote:

Would be very amazing if we can do that in EU model, do you have bangs in gear changing or more farts at least are you happier with sound and can you upload a video?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #21
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Would be very amazing if we can do that in EU model, do you have bangs in gear changing or more farts at least are you happier with sound and can you upload a video?
Yes it has more bangs between shifts and the sound is very aggressive. Lots of turbo spool and whistle. Also quite an improvement in depth of sound under full throttle. I love it. Burbles a bit when the revs drop. Startup is a bit absurd and very loud but only lasts a few seconds. Also noticed more noise being piped into the car thru the speakers

I'm happy so far and still haven't gotten a second CEL. Ideally would like to add an akra exhaust or something similar but for now I'm content.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #22
MVPMotoring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22' X3M, 21 G82

jokerswld34 video
Appreciate 0