12-17-2020, 05:58 AM   #1
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
Automatic PDC Activation

Hi, I’ve search but couldn’t find anything specific to this. My understanding of automatic PDC activation is if I’m driving slowly, for example pulling into parking space or my drive, when an obstacle in the front is near the camera should turn on automatically, i.e. when i start getting the PDC beeps.

However, I cannot get this to work. The setting is checked in iDrive.

Sensors are working, camera comes on when engage reverse and camera switches to front camera when i engage forward afterwards, but i cannot get the cameras to activate when I’m simply getting too close to an object in front. This use to work flawlessly on my X3 G01. Is there something else that i need to set, I’ve rebooted iDrive, disconnected Car Play, but its still the same.

Snippet from manual, shouldn’t need to do anything else, but can’t get it to work.

Software is 07.2020.54.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

It works on my car but I have to drive real close to the obstacle for the function to activate. Far too close, in my opinion. The distance should be adjustable.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      12-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
It works on my car but I have to drive real close to the obstacle for the function to activate. Far too close, in my opinion. The distance should be adjustable.
Thanks, something wrong in my car then, as the beeps are flatlining and still no activation.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmwx3 View Post
Quote:
Thanks, something wrong in my car then, as the beeps are flatlining and still no activation.
Sorted, seems to be a bug in idrive. Shut down the car came back 30min later and it works, idrive 7 seems to be a bit buggy.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #5
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Hi, I’ve search but couldn’t find anything specific to this. My understanding of automatic PDC activation is if I’m driving slowly, for example pulling into parking space or my drive, when an obstacle in the front is near the camera should turn on automatically, i.e. when i start getting the PDC beeps.

Sensors are working, camera comes on when engage reverse and camera switches to front camera when i engage forward afterwards, but i cannot get the cameras to activate when I’m simply getting too close to an object in front. This use to work flawlessly on my X3 G01. Is there something else that i need to set, I’ve rebooted iDrive, disconnected Car Play, but its still the same.

Snippet from manual, shouldn’t need to do anything else, but can’t get it to work.

Software is 07.2020.54.
Mine is not working either. Just got the car on Monday. If I put it into reverse, it all works fine. But slowly creeping into a parking spot, etc does not activate the system. No beeps, nothing. Checked for software updates, I have the latest. So, guess a trip to the dealer is in order.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Mine is not working either. Just got the car on Monday. If I put it into reverse, it all works fine. But slowly creeping into a parking spot, etc does not activate the system. No beeps, nothing. Checked for software updates, I have the latest. So, guess a trip to the dealer is in order.

Try rebooting iDrive first. Sometimes that resolves issues. Press and hold volume knob in for 30 seconds
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Try rebooting iDrive first. Sometimes that resolves issues. Press and hold volume knob in for 30 seconds
Tried that, didn't seem to work.

I will update this thread once I have it back from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #8
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Tried that, didn't seem to work.

I will update this thread once I have it back from the dealer.
What did dealer say? I have a similar issue and have just assumed the model has a subpar system (I love most things about this car but PDC activation inconsistency and the backup camera brightness at night is disappointing)
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #9
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

I’m also in the same camp. Genius is coming out tomorrow to go over a few things and I’m going ask them about it. When I pull into our garage, I have to make a sweeping turn and can’t quite make it without having to back up. At that point the rear camera turns on. Makes sense. Then I pull forward into the garage and the sensors go off for the front corners due to the side of the door but it still shows the rear camera. I have a bunch of stuff at the end of the garage bay, so it is quite tight front to back and I pull within inches of it. The front cameras never turns on automatically, it just continues to show the rear even though the front sensors are going nuts. And when I click on the car icon, I can click the front camera, which has an “A” next to it, which I assumed was an auto camera setting. But every time I re-enter the garage, I have to click the front camera to activate it. Once it is activated, it switches automatically from the standard front view to a really nice down angle on the front bumper when I get really close. Just wish the whole process was down automatically. First world problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #10
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

BMW Genius came by today to go over the 45e and he says the PDC does not automatically adjust the camera angles depending upon direction or sensor contact, unless you hit the camera icon on the hood overhead image with the "A" next to it. Once you hit that, it does seem to automatically switch views. I really don't understand why that can't be set by default to switch views.

Does everyone experience the same thing? Or does it actually work automatically for some people, without having to select the "A" camera icon?
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      04-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #11
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Did u guys set the warning prevention to “early” ? Works on my car tho, camera shows up when I’m in too close to the car in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 01:09 AM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKBSY8 View Post
Works on my car tho, camera shows up when I’m in too close to the car in front of me.
Same here.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
SAliX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Has anyone got anywhere with this issue? Driving forward slowly towards an object does not trigger my PDC either.

There is no point in it triggering when your 2" from the object in front. Ive got as close as as i dare to get to a wall but nothing triggers
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #14
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
It popped up the other day for the first time. I had been wondering if it actually worked. Yes, I think it's far too close. It should be adjustable. Please update if you figure out how to adjust it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #15
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Since day 1, I have to pull into the parking space, Reverse, then Drive lol.
The more we move forward with technology, the more we move backwards lol...

21 X6 xDrive40i
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #16
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi, I've search but couldn't find anything specific to this. My understanding of automatic PDC activation is if I'm driving slowly, for example pulling into parking space or my drive, when an obstacle in the front is near the camera should turn on automatically, i.e. when i start getting the PDC beeps.

Sensors are working, camera comes on when engage reverse and camera switches to front camera when i engage forward afterwards, but i cannot get the cameras to activate when I'm simply getting too close to an object in front. This use to work flawlessly on my X3 G01. Is there something else that i need to set, I've rebooted iDrive, disconnected Car Play, but its still the same.

Snippet from manual, shouldn't need to do anything else, but can't get it to work.

Software is 07.2020.54.
Quote:
Did u guys set the warning prevention to "early" ? Works on my car tho, camera shows up when I'm in too close to the car in front of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Works on my car tho, camera shows up when I'm in too close to the car in front of me.
Same here.

Was stuck in traffic today so decided to test it out. It has to be very close in order for the camera to show up. Maybe like about a foot to a foot and half(1'-0" ~ 1'-6" est.). Once you within that range, the camera will show up on your iDrive. Be careful tho

I took the pics when the car before me pulls away but that's how it looks like from the screen. You get the red warning on the side as well.
Attached Images

Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #17
Spencergnyc
Spencer Gotts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive 40i

Mate mine didn’t activate at when I click it manually it shows all red
Appreciate 1
Mieleo26.50
      08-12-2021, 11:52 PM   #18
Jone5y
Jone5y
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d M Sport

This is driving my wife nuts. It worked when we first took delivery of the car, have had Bluetooth related troubles since then that required a full reset, and now it doesn't work, even though the setting is active.

Looking forward to any resolutions people have found
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #19
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

old thread - any more findings?
      02-23-2023, 10:59 PM   #20
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Did anyone figure out how to adjust the automatic PDC distance?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:52 AM   #21
nybpc
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

As a relatively new BMW owner, I'm shocked at how bad this is. My Honda CRV has this nailed down -- its sensitivity to activate park sensors is "just right" -- whereas on the BMW, you have to get dangerously close to the object in order for it to kick-in. Is this the same on all BMWs or is it a bug with the X5, do we know?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 10:35 AM   #22
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybpc View Post
As a relatively new BMW owner, I'm shocked at how bad this is. My Honda CRV has this nailed down -- its sensitivity to activate park sensors is "just right" -- whereas on the BMW, you have to get dangerously close to the object in order for it to kick-in. Is this the same on all BMWs or is it a bug with the X5, do we know?
I found the same thing, somewhat useless as an automatic feature. I now just press the button to manually turn it on
Appreciate 0