BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #23
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
It seems there is a fog lamp function embedded in the F95/96 headlights.

According to the manual (see there "Guiding Fog Lights") and other sources the new headlights have 64 separate LED beams that can be composed according to the driving context.

When the rear foglights are switched on and (if?) the front cameras sense fog conditions (I wonder how?), the 64 LED beams are distributed in a short throw, low foglight-type beam.

I had not yet the opportunity to check this real-time while driving in fog.
Probably not in the US, we don't even have rear fogs lights here.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #24
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
You fire your lasers when that Prius cuts you off and drives 10mph below the speed limit
Appreciate 3
ed41328.00
Tenac4504.50
Brandt51838.00
      03-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #25
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

My 2016 X5M has fog lights
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #26
Busa Dave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M

Sorry just joined today but this may be the implementation of the LEP (laser excited phosphor) which is the next step past the LED. I have a few of the flashlights, couple are custom built and they have to be seen to be believed.

Going to have to do some more research on the BMW adaptation.
      04-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #27
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Sorry just joined today but this may be the implementation of the LEP (laser excited phosphor) which is the next step past the LED. I have a few of the flashlights, couple are custom built and they have to be seen to be believed.

Going to have to do some more research on the BMW adaptation.
Yes, I believe this is how they work. How are the LEP flashlights compared to LED? I have a few flashlights from over 10 years ago with Cree XML LEDs, when the XML just hit the market - they are still very bright even by todays standard, and were absolutely unbelievable back then. I used to also frequent candlepower forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #28
Busa Dave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Yes, I believe this is how they work. How are the LEP flashlights compared to LED? I have a few flashlights from over 10 years ago with Cree XML LEDs, when the XML just hit the market - they are still very bright even by todays standard, and were absolutely unbelievable back then. I used to also frequent candlepower forums.
Yes I am a CPF guy as well Vinh (Sky Lumen) does a lot of my custom lights. Pencil beam no spill 2k to 3k yards. Look like a light saber from Star Wars. I have one light modified Ace Beam (plain led) that makes over 75k lumens. The LEP's are not real big on Lumens generation but for precise throw or flood beyond excellent.

Reason you do not see many of them is they can blind you. Only a few manufacturers all in China will fool with them. Huge changes in the lighting industry just the last 5 years. It will slowly move to the automotive industry.

For those that want to see where the future is ---- https://www.osram.com/am/specials/tr...logy/index.jsp

Last edited by Busa Dave; 04-11-2021 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
ajob454.50
GrussGott18113.00
      04-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #29
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I am a CPF guy as well Vinh (Sky Lumen) does a lot of my custom lights. Pencil beam no spill 2k to 3k yards. Look like a light saber from Star Wars. I have one light modified Ace Beam (plain led) that makes over 75k lumens. The LEP's are not real big on Lumens generation but for precise throw or flood beyond excellent.

Reason you do not see many of them is they can blind you. Only a few manufacturers all in China will fool with them. Huge changes in the lighting industry just the last 5 years. It will slowly move to the automotive industry.

For those that want to see where the future is ---- https://www.osram.com/am/specials/tr...logy/index.jsp
Good info, thanks! You mentioned flood, I looked at a few reviews on youtube, and it seems that they all have a really concentrated long throw, much like the light saber for the lack of a better analogy.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #30
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Bought myself a Fenix TK30 laser flashlight. Absolutely insane, lol, it throws such a bright spot so far, its absolutely unreal. I tried it in combination with a 5,000 lumen LED flashlight that I have, when used together its like the LED light is not even noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #31
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There are a bunch of articles on the internet, but I couldn't find one with a complete and simple explanation. From what I understand, our headlights are actually LED, and only the high beam is laser? Also, I heard that the high beam only uses lasers above 40mph, otherwise it uses LEDs even for high beam.

Also, what about the selective beam technology, I understand it is not legal in the USA, but do we actually have this technology built in and its just deactivated?
Although I like my laser lights on my m340, they are essentially detuned version of the EU lights
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #32
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Although I like my laser lights on my m340, they are essentially detuned version of the EU lights
Not BMW's fault, US regulations are lagging behind times.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 08:09 AM   #33
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Not BMW's fault, US regulations are lagging behind times.
Oh yes , usual government fecklessness
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #34
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

I couldn't find anything on this topic. So, I ll revive this post to see if now that you have had the X5 for a while, have you come across the situation where the person driving towards you think that you have the hug beams and turns their on?

It has happened to me a bunch of times and I always say "Say hello to my little friend!" (Tony Montana style) 😂

Sadly, while parked, there was a guy who stopped to fight me over the headlights (low beams). That was the first time it happened and I was so confused 🤷🏻*♂️.

I am just trying to understand if NC drivers are just a little delicate or if it is just a normal occurrence….
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:46 PM   #35
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torijona View Post
I couldn't find anything on this topic. So, I ll revive this post to see if now that you have had the X5 for a while, have you come across the situation where the person driving towards you think that you have the hug beams and turns their on?

It has happened to me a bunch of times and I always say "Say hello to my little friend!" (Tony Montana style) 😂

Sadly, while parked, there was a guy who stopped to fight me over the headlights (low beams). That was the first time it happened and I was so confused 🤷🏻*♂️.

I am just trying to understand if NC drivers are just a little delicate or if it is just a normal occurrence….
Probably you need to align them maybe your headlights are too up.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #36
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
The laser lights are equipped in the US but nerfed for the amount lumens allowed. As I understand it the benefit of the laser tech compared to other vehicles in the US is negligible because of the brightness limitation.
They are useful in the US if you are driving on backroads above 35 mph. Had them on my standard X5 and the illumination is unreal, but not useful at all around town due to the lower speeds and amount of ambient light. The standard LED high beams are so good it can be hard to justify in the US.
UPDATE: by now I have driven with these new "lasers" quite a while on all kind of roads.

It's quite visible when they switch on at some 60 km/h: you see two narrow intense cylindrical beams (with blurred edges) and on low traffic autobahns and country roads they are quite useful, you really see stuff much farther.

What strikes me most is a sort of uncanny ability to focus where you need them - being so narrow, even a small deviation would make the beams useless.

It is almost as if a camera is watching the scene and 95% of the time keeps the beams pointed both vertically and horizontally where you need them: you see the beams kind of dancing, being constantly and usefully realigned and I'm still wondering how this is accomplished.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #37
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
All the posts are blending together now on this topic. Do we have a list of places we can hire to program all of the distributed light and dazzle functionality yet and how much they charge?

I am interested in just this programming because I have bimmercode for the small stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #38
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torijona View Post

Probably you need to align them maybe your headlights are too up.
I double-checked today and they are good. Just people being hormonal 😂. Good thought though. I remember having an M3 that had one one way out of alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mors View Post
All the posts are blending together now on this topic. Do we have a list of places we can hire to program all of the distributed light and dazzle functionality yet and how much they charge?

I am interested in just this programming because I have bimmercode for the small stuff.
i believe r33_RGSport can code anti dazzle
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      03-21-2022, 08:17 AM   #40
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

+1 for r33_RGSport, he's done 3 vehicles of mine now. Simple, ez, out 15-20 minutes. He's also usually available same day.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      03-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #41
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i believe r33_RGSport can code anti dazzle
Cool. I ordered a cable and I have a obdlink mx+ already. Not sure what else I need yet but looking to get this done asap. I also think RGSport is not far from my house within 50 miles if I remember right so might be just as easy to drive there.

I will request a quote from them.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      03-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #42
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Somebody should find a way how to start lasers under 60kmh and probably make lights brighter by utilizing them fully powered.
Appreciate 1
GotBeemed414.50
      03-25-2022, 04:39 AM   #43
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

If anyone could make a tutorial on how to code out anti-dazzle, I am sure a lot of people would be greatly appreciative.
Appreciate 1
SlowX6M276.50
      03-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #44
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBeemed View Post
If anyone could make a tutorial on how to code out anti-dazzle, I am sure a lot of people would be greatly appreciative.
Tutorial is widely available in the internet.
I've learned how to code in 2012 by reading from the internet.
Since then I've been hired to code others in compensation for my time because they are not comfortable in doing it themselves.

I wish I can tell you exactly where I found the instruction.
But, Google sometime can be your friend.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0