Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
Almost certainly you'll still be able to enjoy all 483hp after a 60 mile highway cruise, or even a 200 mile highway cruise, on those back roads.

It's easy to think in black and white when it comes to a PHEV's operation, but there's a lot of intelligence built into the system so *both* engines are available to propel the car in nearly all circumstances.

Even when the battery range has shown "—-" on my 45e and 50e, I've yet to experience a situation where only the ICE moves the car when the pedal is pressed to the floor. It's a very smart system.
Thanks appreciate you sharing your experience.

Physics / engineering typically allows you to think in black and white hence why it’s so confusing / concerning for some.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 08:38 AM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post

Physics / engineering typically allows you to think in black and white hence why it’s so confusing / concerning for some.
similar background for a bit (physics/biomedical engineering) but switched to nursing route (anesthesia) a couple years later. i still like to analyze and scrutinize the operational details of everything lol
Appreciate 2
Mattl0806987.50
Tejas1836996.00
      11-27-2023, 08:50 AM   #25
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
similar background for a bit (physics/biomedical engineering) but switched to nursing route (anesthesia) a couple years later. i like to analyze and scrutinize the operational details of everything lol
CRNA?
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      11-27-2023, 09:49 AM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I wish I could find good documentation on the differences between this motor and the B58 in the new 40i. I've watched videos where they claim some parts are upgraded to withstand being abused when not at peak temps. I assume this is why the motor is "detuned", ready for cold motor abuse.
That is a myth that many have, and still are, spreading around. There is nothing different in the engines between the two.
      11-27-2023, 09:50 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The road is rarely perfectly flat and you won't be able to drive at a perfectly stable speed while the load remains identical...so, there will be opportunities for regeneration to occur in any mode of operation. IOW, while the ICE can cause the EV motor to turn into an alternator, it will occur without needing the ICE to provide that power, at least on occasion, allowing the batteries to recoup some energy. Some modes are more aggressive at it as are some much less likely to enable regeneration (Eco Pro mode primarily coasts when it can and doesn't engage regeneration except in certain situations like hitting the brakes or detecting a vehicle in front of it). While sport tries to maintain a larger buffer expecting you to be calling on full combined ICE plus EV power which obviously requires some battery capacity to be available.

While the guts of the 40i and 50e may be identical, at least with the 45e, they said that some of the hardware does differ. There's a sticky at the top of the forum that has some training details that make some interesting reading. SOme of it is related to starting the engine. THe PHEV has two modes, traditional starter motor and tow-start mode...each puts different loads on things, and the PHEV beefs up the related components.

I haven't checked the LCI 40i and 50e's gear ratios, but the power peak and gear ratios did differ pre-LCI, and probably still do on the LCI. With the higher power available on the LCI, it can turn a little slower which helps with efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 09:58 PM   #28
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The road is rarely perfectly flat and you won't be able to drive at a perfectly stable speed while the load remains identical...so, there will be opportunities for regeneration to occur in any mode of operation. IOW, while the ICE can cause the EV motor to turn into an alternator, it will occur without needing the ICE to provide that power, at least on occasion, allowing the batteries to recoup some energy. Some modes are more aggressive at it as are some much less likely to enable regeneration (Eco Pro mode primarily coasts when it can and doesn't engage regeneration except in certain situations like hitting the brakes or detecting a vehicle in front of it). While sport tries to maintain a larger buffer expecting you to be calling on full combined ICE plus EV power which obviously requires some battery capacity to be available.

While the guts of the 40i and 50e may be identical, at least with the 45e, they said that some of the hardware does differ. There's a sticky at the top of the forum that has some training details that make some interesting reading. SOme of it is related to starting the engine. THe PHEV has two modes, traditional starter motor and tow-start mode...each puts different loads on things, and the PHEV beefs up the related components.

I haven't checked the LCI 40i and 50e's gear ratios, but the power peak and gear ratios did differ pre-LCI, and probably still do on the LCI. With the higher power available on the LCI, it can turn a little slower which helps with efficiency.
Still keep giving out known, proven incorrect info. what is the purpose of this?
cobramite1227.50
      11-28-2023, 12:19 AM   #29
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Because it's true? The 50E internals have some differences. Gear ratios are different between 40i and 50e

50E
Automatic Gear Ratios – I / II / III
5.5 / 3.52 / 2.2
Automatic Gear Ratios – IV / V / VI
1.72 / 1.3 / 1.0
Automatic Gear Ratios – VII / VIII / R
0.83 / 0.64 / 4.45
Automatic Gear Ratios - Final Drive Ratio

LCI 40i

Automatic Gear Ratios - I / II / III
5.25 / 3.36 / 2.17
Automatic Gear Ratios - IV / V / VI
1.72 / 1.32 / 1.0
Automatic Gear Ratios - VII / VIII / R
0.82 / 0.64 / 3.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Still keep giving out known, proven incorrect info. what is the purpose of this?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 01:18 AM   #30
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because it's true? The 50E internals have some differences. Gear ratios are different between 40i and 50e

50E
Automatic Gear Ratios – I / II / III
5.5 / 3.52 / 2.2
Automatic Gear Ratios – IV / V / VI
1.72 / 1.3 / 1.0
Automatic Gear Ratios – VII / VIII / R
0.83 / 0.64 / 4.45

LCI 40i

Automatic Gear Ratios - I / II / III
5.25 / 3.36 / 2.17
Automatic Gear Ratios - IV / V / VI
1.72 / 1.32 / 1.0
Automatic Gear Ratios - VII / VIII / R
0.82 / 0.64 / 3.71
First, please tell me which parts of the internal are different? And if internals are different, why isn't the engine given a different code name. And how do these internals are considered "beefed up"? How are these internal is better for cold abuse, which you stated before?

Second, gear ratio I posted many time. They are different, but it is NOT the point. He said 45e will rev low and more efficient. Please read the entire part I highlighted, comprehend it, then give a full context response. The fact is 45e has shorter gears at cruising speed by as much as 15%, it will rev higher and less efficient on highway. Your 50E gears numbers show the same thing, not as severely deficit as 45e, but still shorter than 40i. Tell me which car rev higher at cruising?

Last edited by eelnoraa; 11-28-2023 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 04:40 PM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

From the training documents listed at the top of the forum...

G05 PHEV Complete Vehicle.
2. Powertrain.

The most extensive changes compared to the conventional B58TU engine are:
• Simplified belt drive
• Vibration damper with rigid belt pulley
• Mechanical vacuum pump (despite DSCi brake system)
• Improved air intake system with resonator
• Starter motor adapted to the more frequent starting operations
• Wiring harness adapted to the engine peripherals.

Note it says the most extensive changes, implying there are other changes as well.
Appreciate 1
eluded3041.50
      11-28-2023, 04:48 PM   #32
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From the training documents listed at the top of the forum...

G05 PHEV Complete Vehicle.
2. Powertrain.

The most extensive changes compared to the conventional B58TU engine are:
• Simplified belt drive
• Vibration damper with rigid belt pulley
• Mechanical vacuum pump (despite DSCi brake system)
• Improved air intake system with resonator
• Starter motor adapted to the more frequent starting operations
• Wiring harness adapted to the engine peripherals.

Note it says the most extensive changes, implying there are other changes as well.
Just to be clear, none are internal components of the engine. None of these make it "beefed up". It is just different because the car is different. Not better, not worse, not "beefier" not weaker.

So again, what is "beefed up"?
      11-28-2023, 04:59 PM   #33
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I look at the engine as all of the components inside the block and the stuff attached to it that make it able to function. With that in mind, it is beefed up. The starter motor and the dampener are designed to handle more frequent starts, and from being 'tow-started'. Essential for the operation of the vehicle as a PHEV. What that document does not show is what they also tweaked inside. Changes made to make the PHEV's engine more reliable. I doubt they made things weaker in the process.
Appreciate 1
porterM37.00
      11-28-2023, 05:39 PM   #34
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I look at the engine as all of the components inside the block and the stuff attached to it that make it able to function. With that in mind, it is beefed up. The starter motor and the dampener are designed to handle more frequent starts, and from being 'tow-started'. Essential for the operation of the vehicle as a PHEV. What that document does not show is what they also tweaked inside. Changes made to make the PHEV's engine more reliable. I doubt they made things weaker in the process.
So to you, different = beefed up?

Using your logic, turn it around, 40i has many components different than 45e in order for 40i to function as well, so 40i engine must also be more "beefed up", right? The only thing that says remotely improvement is "starter motor" to accommodate more frequency start. What else? And it is not part of the engine.

Do you even know that dampener is? There is a technical name for it. It is not to counter start or the engine. It is to counter something else. You should go look that up. And BMW itself didn't claim it is beefed up. It just says it is rigid. If you can learn why this dampener is needed in any car, you should know why this change is needed.

And let me also ask, they tweak in side according to who? you? And tell me what components they can possibly tweak inside to make it more beefed up yet BMW didn't create a new engine code for it. It is not like we don't have enough version of B58.

But I am still not sure we are talking logic and technical here. You need to rationalize 45e is the best car existed, you just need to believe that. Please don't make up fake info. That is including 45e gear ratio. It is straight documentation by BMW and ZF. 45e has shorter cruising gears. Why lie and keep lying about it? Do you thin no one bother to spend 2 minutes to look it up?

Last edited by eelnoraa; 11-28-2023 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 07:45 PM   #35
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The shock load of tow-starting an engine up to what might be several thousand RPMs will be much higher than starting on to idle with the starter motor. At least to me, that implies the dampener would have to be able to absorb a larger shock...thus, heavier duty.

We may not ever know the full differences between the two implementations of the engines in the differing models, as BMW has no responsibility to expose all of their development decisions to the public.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 08:28 PM   #36
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The shock load of tow-starting an engine up to what might be several thousand RPMs will be much higher than starting on to idle with the starter motor. At least to me, that implies the dampener would have to be able to absorb a larger shock...thus, heavier duty.

We may not ever know the full differences between the two implementations of the engines in the differing models, as BMW has no responsibility to expose all of their development decisions to the public.
Completely non sense as usual
cobramite1227.50
      11-28-2023, 10:53 PM   #37
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Completely non sense as usual
Your not really adding any meaningful information yourself. This thread is like CNN vs Fox news. Sheeesh.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 11:06 PM   #38
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Agreed until we see the spec or technical documentation on the new TU2 motor we can only drive off of rumors that others have said, some on YouTube with tons of followers.

Once parts are available we can also look at them for differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Your not really adding any meaningful information yourself. This thread is like CNN vs Fox news. Sheeesh.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 11:12 PM   #39
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Agreed until we see the spec or technical documentation on the new TU2 motor we can only drive off of rumors that others have said, some on YouTube with tons of followers.

Once parts are available we can also look at them for differences.
Yes, I've been trying to find out verifiable info, but there does seem to be a lot of misinformation. Even on bmw's website it misquotes the 50e electric motor hp in one of their paragraphs.

Even the individuals torque values from ice/electric do not add up to the total quoted. Maybe the electric motor with xx torque by itself, throttles power when running both motors combined?
Appreciate 1
eluded3041.50
      11-28-2023, 11:24 PM   #40
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

EV and ICE motors develop torque at different RPMs...an EV motor typically develops maximum torque from stopped, and ICE at much higher levels. You'd need to put the thing on a dynamometer to measure total output and track the torque, but that still wouldn't tell you the individual motors' power. That would be harder to figure out without some other tools.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 11:31 PM   #41
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
yeah, I got carried way. I just didn't like obvious fake information being pass around over and over again by the same guy. But it is free public forum, anyone can have their ways. I think most people knows. But yea, I am done.
      11-29-2023, 12:16 AM   #42
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yeah, I got carried way. I just didn't like obvious fake information being pass around over and over again by the same guy. But it is free public forum, anyone can have their ways. I think most people knows. But yea, I am done.
I get it. People do like to give information, without any references, and after a while if not confronted with the misinformation, they start to believe they are correct.

Sort of a conformation bias.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 01:39 PM   #43
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

A "beefed up" B58 is an S58 and that is one bad ass engine for sure.
Appreciate 1