BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2024, 07:54 AM   #1
ztk777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi q7

X5e modes and settings

Hey everyone, I have had my x5e for a year.
Have about 13k miles of which 8500 all electric. I mostly drive the vehicle in all electric mode for local trips.
However when I am making long trips I want to use ice engine to preserve battery. Does anyone know if battery hold is really the only way to use ice without being in sport (more aggressive mode)?
Also, when I am in battery hold or sports modes the vehicle still stops the engine on stops. Is there a way to disable that (OBDeleven maybe?).
I have q7 with start/stop and starter failed at 74k. I don’t want it because that’s how things break. Granted with the way I drive x5 it should last much more miles since most of it is electric but still wanted to know if there is a way to disable when using ice.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 08:15 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
1) Battery Hold is the only way to ensure you preserve battery charge. in Sport mode, the electric motor will assist the ICE when needed, so that will use the battery. if your engine is set to Comfort while in Sport Individual mode, it uses the battery even more

2) there’s no setting to disable ASS. I’ve read putting the gear in Sport M/S program may disable it, but that was more easily done on the 45e by tilting the gear lever to the left. I don’t know how it’s done on the 50e that has the gear toggle switch instead of a lever. if you don’t like the vehicle shutting the engine off while stopped, lightly let go of the brake pedal to make the engine run again (though I believe it’ll stop again after several seconds)
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 08:22 AM   #3
ztk777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi q7

I have 45e so I do have the shifter. However there is no way to disable start stop with letting go the break pedal. It’s not a typical start stop, it starts in Electric 100% of the time. Even in sport the first 10 feet are essentially electric - in battery hold it’s even more.
Sport doesn’t use battery unless you floor it. I use battery hold to use ice engine that is without sport. I guess I could use sport individual in comfort modes to mimic the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 08:40 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztk777 View Post
I have 45e so I do have the shifter. However there is no way to disable start stop with letting go the break pedal. It’s not a typical start stop, it starts in Electric 100% of the time. Even in sport the first 10 feet are essentially electric - in battery hold it’s even more.
Sport doesn’t use battery unless you floor it. I use battery hold to use ice engine that is without sport. I guess I could use sport individual in comfort modes to mimic the same.
The 45e doesn't have Battery Hold, it has Battery Control. Sport mode will always eBoost and eAssist available to it.
      02-12-2024, 08:44 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztk777 View Post
Ah, you said X5e and mentioned Battery Hold, so I thought you meant 50e. it’s called the X5 45e, not X5e

the 45e has Battery Control, not Battery Hold. it is the only “drive mode” that ensures you preserve the battery at your desired target level. all the other drive modes except Electric Individual maintain a minimum charge level, so if you want it higher, you have to use Battery Control. driving at highway speeds in Hybrid and Adaptive modes also uses the ICE, but it also drains the battery, so again, the only way to preserve battery power while using the ICE is activating Battery Control

I didn’t say letting go of the brake pedal disables ASS, but doing so starts the ICE. this way you have some control over when the ICE is on when you accelerate from a stop. you can try coding it out, but most have done it on their ICE vehicles, not PHEV, so I don’t think the code works the same way on the 45e as say the 40i.

the electric motor/battery is used while in Sport drive mode. eAssist is when the electric motor augments the ICE making it work less thus increasing fuel efficiency during normal driving. this is a product of BMW’s hybrid design. it’s happening in the background, and there’s no indication on the cluster when the electric motor is eAssisting. don’t expect to see it operating solely like you do in Hybrid/Adaptive modes with that little blue bar on the power meter. if you set the engine to Comfort in Sport Individual settings as I stated above, there’s still no blue bar as there’s no power gauge, just rpm, so the only indication it’s driving under the electric motor is the rpm needle stays at 0 when you’re obviously moving at speed. eBoost augments the ICE at high rpms (this you can see on the cluster’s rpm gauge)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:41 PM   #6
chrisado
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Thanks for explaining this, you are correct. I have had others on this forum tell me there is no input from the electric while in sport mode. You can press the end of the l turn signal stalk and easily see the the flow of electric current go back and forth constantly in addition to the ice. It will show in the main instrument cluster. Pressing the stalk will cycle through different scenarios such as ‘since factory, since last charge etc. It nicely shows kw/100 k or whatever other energy unit you prefer. There may be less focus on efficiency while in sport mode but it is always acting like a hybrid except in some circumstances such as constant speed cruising on the highway
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 07:39 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisado View Post
Thanks for explaining this, you are correct. I have had others on this forum tell me there is no input from the electric while in sport mode. You can press the end of the l turn signal stalk and easily see the the flow of electric current go back and forth constantly in addition to the ice. It will show in the main instrument cluster. Pressing the stalk will cycle through different scenarios such as ‘since factory, since last charge etc. It nicely shows kw/100 k or whatever other energy unit you prefer. There may be less focus on efficiency while in sport mode but it is always acting like a hybrid except in some circumstances such as constant speed cruising on the highway
OP has the 45e (as I do), not the 50e. we don’t have the same amount of info available on the cluster that you have. we have a Flow Data screen on the main control display that shows the ebbs and flows between the ICE and electric motor
Appreciate 1
eluded3044.50
      02-12-2024, 07:57 PM   #8
Aussiejem
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e on order

I think Battery Hold on the 50e is a good function... Hybrid seems to be the go unless you are hitting dense city limits at journey end. Maybe Hybrid mode intelligently inputs this as part of the Nav ....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:23 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Adding a destination is what causes the logic to account for potential green zones and low speed...otherwise, it has no idea where you're going and does things for the current conditions. Well, I supposed being already IN a green zone would prioritize EV motor use, if there was any battery capacity left.
Appreciate 0