nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
My 45e has only 3K miles so far. I don't think I have stand still jerking, but I sure can detect less than smooth shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometime from 2nd to 3rd, using EV mode, and relatively gentle on paddle. I don't remember if this is the case when I picked up tho. I will keep monitoring
same. i feel a shifting lag on Electric from 1st to 2nd at around 25mph, though not consistently (about 75% of the time)
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      10-26-2022, 02:19 PM   #24
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
My 45e has only 3K miles so far. I don't think I have stand still jerking, but I sure can detect less than smooth shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometime from 2nd to 3rd, using EV mode, and relatively gentle on paddle. I don't remember if this is the case when I picked up tho. I will keep monitoring
It’s indeed a bit dumb in electric.. it tries to be too gentle.. that’s not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #25
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

no complaints in electric
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 03:03 AM   #26
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It seems like I have bigger issues. I took another X5 for test drive (same car as mine). Why? Because my wife complained she also noticed our car moves backwards whenever there is a slight slope - you “crawl”, release the pedal, let the car move by itself. In our case, speed drop to 0 and it starts to go backwards increasing speed :\ then the test car I took - same conditions, same place, it just stops and stays still. It happens regardless of whether it’s in electric or ICE is running.

We also noticed (my wife complained about that many times, but I didn’t pay attention) that whenever you’re driving on a parking space and maneuver by rotating the steer left or right, you can hear “uuuu, uuuuu”. The test car did that as well, but it was 2-3 times less noisy.

The last thing - ambient lighting… when I have it set to blue all the doors (there are these small spaces inside the door handles) stay GRRRRREEEN :\ on a test car that was blue… when I set my to orange, it’s orange. Sigh.

Problems so far fixed -

0km - 360 cameras misalignment (how the heck they delivered a car with that kind of problem?)
3000km - h&k amp bass cut off. Changed the amp
12000km - gearbox jerk from 4th to 3rd. Changed the gearbox.
18000km - exhaust pipes shadow line peeling off, creaking airbag plastic, driver’s seat’s frame loosened (the seat was basically moving by 0.5cm back and forth), air conditioner died, merino leather color peeled off on the drivers handle. Everything was fixed. Also seat ventilation died..
20000km - the gearbox started to be annoying again. And it still a problem described in this topic. The first dealer basically said they won’t do anything until it starts to do that hard. During summer time it was ok, but by the start of the autumn it started to be annoying very much (this topic’s problem).

Now the mileage is 29900km. I’ve driven with my prev gearbox for about 15k km, and now a new gearbox behaves even worse than my previous gearbox…

Excellento, bmw.

Last edited by finn123; 10-27-2022 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #27
G05007
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn123 View Post
Hello community!

Has anybody experienced their X5 45e jerk on acceleration from standstill on electric?

Context - I have a 2021 X5 45e with 28k km on it. I had my gearbox changed about 15k km ago in December 2021 because of rough down shifting from 4th to 3rd gear, which was caused by metallic powder (or whatever it’s called. Basically the gearbox was eating itself). Right after that was swapped I started to experienced jerkiness on acceleration from standstill. It happened rarely and the BMW dealer couldn’t find anything suggesting to come back when it gets worse. It became warmer outside and i couldn’t experienced that problem - it was extremely rare. Now when it’s cold again, I started to experience this problem again - almost every morning, when the gearbox is still cold, I stop on a traffic light which is about 700m away from my home and the car may jerk very hard when I GENTLY press on the accelerator. It feels sometimes like somebody smashed me in the rear.

I went back to BMW (another dealer this time) and complained about the problem (as usual :\). I said them the gearbox was changed and now I have another problem. They couldnt experience the problem, said there are no errors and the oil level is fine. They promised to contact bmw factory and ask what they can do.

So I wonder if anybody experienced that. This really drives me crazy…
I have the exact same issue, I bought the X5 in August of 2021 and it didn't start happening until the weather turned cold. The worst situation I can recall was leaving a friends house when it was super cold outside, put it in sport mode at a stop light, and when I went to accelerate it slammed into gear so hard I was sure I damaged something.

I took it to our BMW dealership where they kept it for 2 weeks and stated that they experienced the issue but when they reported it to BMW, they wanted video evidence which I thought was ridiculous. They were then given a few things to check and reset the transmission parameters and gave it back to us. As you stated, it was fine when the weather warmed up, but now that it has gotten cold again, the issues have returned. My wife now refuses to drive the car, the way it slams in to gear (it's like you rev it up in neutral and drop it in to drive) is extremely unsettling so I don't blame her. I'm not sure what to do at this point aside from buying a dash cam to provide video evidence of the problem but with all of the technology built in to this thing I would assume the computer system would flag something. @bmwusa this cannot be isolated to myself and the OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #28
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
mount your phone anywhere inside the cabin while taking a video.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 01:49 AM   #29
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I actually have plenty of videos from my dashcam . But I wouldn’t say it really shows the problem. One can say they don’t see anything. But when you compare videos side by side (one when it jerks and another when it starts normally), you can definitely see. Still waiting when the dealer answers what they are going to do next.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #30
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So my dealer has not got any answer from the factory, but suggested to leave the car for further diagnosis… and to reproduce the problem, which they haven’t tried yet…

If they tell me they couldn’t reproduce and refuse to have the car for a couple of more days there, I’m just going to find a lawyer, confirm the problem with a non-bmw service and sue my dealer/local bmw provider. I just don’t see any other options
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #31
G05007
Registered
Rep

That's unfortunate, and the problem for you and I is that this is a specific issue that happens at a specific time and outside temperatures. This only happens to us after we come to a full stop (and it can be the second or third complete stop) within a few miles of leaving our home after it sitting overnight or leaving somewhere after it sits outside for a reasonable amount of time. It also only happens once (for us anyway) after a cold start and following the above situations. It drives perfectly fine after that and as we've already stated, it does not happen in warmer weather.

I'll try to position my phone in a manner that captures the dashboard and hopefully captures the sound it makes. I honestly don't think the dealership technicians are going to dedicate the time necessary to replicate the issue. I also think BMW is asking for video evidence because this hasn't become a widespread issue yet, I would be curious to see if more people see this post and start chiming in if it indeed is a bit more widespread.

From what I can tell, I think this is a decoupling of the electric motor from the engine (I can almost feel it going in to neutral and rolling back like pushing in the clutch on a manual car) otherwise, I think it would be a bigger issue and affect more X5s since it doesn't seem that the internals of the ZF transmission are that vastly different between the X5 platforms.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #32
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05007 View Post
That's unfortunate, and the problem for you and I is that this is a specific issue that happens at a specific time and outside temperatures. This only happens to us after we come to a full stop (and it can be the second or third complete stop) within a few miles of leaving our home after it sitting overnight or leaving somewhere after it sits outside for a reasonable amount of time. It also only happens once (for us anyway) after a cold start and following the above situations. It drives perfectly fine after that and as we've already stated, it does not happen in warmer weather.

I'll try to position my phone in a manner that captures the dashboard and hopefully captures the sound it makes. I honestly don't think the dealership technicians are going to dedicate the time necessary to replicate the issue. I also think BMW is asking for video evidence because this hasn't become a widespread issue yet, I would be curious to see if more people see this post and start chiming in if it indeed is a bit more widespread.

From what I can tell, I think this is a decoupling of the electric motor from the engine (I can almost feel it going in to neutral and rolling back like pushing in the clutch on a manual car) otherwise, I think it would be a bigger issue and affect more X5s since it doesn't seem that the internals of the ZF transmission are that vastly different between the X5 platforms.
Well, if you’re interested, here are several videos recorded via my phone and one from the dashcam. I think you can clearly hear this sound produced when it jerks from the last video which is recorded by the dash cam

Sent via pm
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #33
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Funny enough the tsb posted in this[1] very old e90 times thread describes exactly the same problem we have. I wonder if phev gearbox has the same functionality as I definitely feel like it pushes slightly forward after I stop, which happens just for the first few kms. At the same time, it jerks when I start to drive

[1] https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229051
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 05:35 PM   #34
G05007
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn123 View Post
Funny enough the tsb posted in this[1] very old e90 times thread describes exactly the same problem we have. I wonder if phev gearbox has the same functionality as I definitely feel like it pushes slightly forward after I stop, which happens just for the first few kms. At the same time, it jerks when I start to drive

[1] https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229051
I wouldn't doubt that this could be solved with a software update, it really feels like something decouples as I described earlier. My only problem with the E90 issue is that my car will also do this in sport mode, matter of fact, it's really brutal if I put it in sport mode and try to accelerate from the light when the car is cold
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #35
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05007 View Post
I wouldn't doubt that this could be solved with a software update, it really feels like something decouples as I described earlier. My only problem with the E90 issue is that my car will also do this in sport mode, matter of fact, it's really brutal if I put it in sport mode and try to accelerate from the light when the car is cold
My dealer tried sw update, but it didn’t help. They also reset the adaptations and corrected the oil level in the gearbox. Two weeks ago.

I left the car for them yesterday and today they did adaptations again with a computer. I was said they didn’t do adaptations correctly last time, and this time it was done correctly. For example, they had to drive on certain gears with certain torque to ensure all gears are adapted correctly. We agreed I’ll use the car for some days and see if there is still an issue. If it wasn’t resolved, we’ll try to reproduce the problem together. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 01:09 AM   #36
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Didn’t help…
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #37
G05007
Registered
Rep

It's getting cold again in Chicago, I'll capture some videos as well and see what the dealership says. I'll also try someone other than the original dealership that diagnosed it to get a second opinion and let you know what I find.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #38
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So, the second dealer was able to reproduce the problem last Friday (11 of nov). They updated software and reset adaptations (again as the previous dealer). I was driving without any issues since Tuesday (15 of nov), but the problem came back again. I’m leaving my car at the dealer on Monday and they will continue troubleshooting. What’s very annoying is that they want to reproduce the problem again. Why? Don’t you trust your clients? I’m shocked. What’s next? They will say - all is fine?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:02 AM   #39
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Thanks for finn123 pointing me to this thread. You might want to read my experience (and solution) about this with similar behavior.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29734100

For what it's worth, I'm driving about 65% on electric. Maybe the 45e transfer box design was not build for so much electric vs ice mileage. The dealer told me the new transfer box they will install in my car (26th this month) has a modified design. That might indicate that BMW has acknowledged the problem and adjusted the design of initial 45e the transfer box. I don't know if the 45e has a different transfer box compared to the 40i/50i/50d/etc.

Last edited by ikheetleon; 01-14-2023 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
walkday97.50
      01-14-2023, 10:14 AM   #40
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Thanks for finn123 pointing me to this thread. You might want to read my experience (and solution) about this with similar behavior.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29734100

For what it's worth, I'm driving about 65% on electric. Maybe the 45e transfer box design was not build for so much electric vs ice mileage. The dealer told me the new transfer box they will install in my car (26th this month) has a modified design. That might indicate that BMW has acknowledged the problem and adjusted the design of initial 45e the transfer box. I don't know if the 45e has a different transfer box compared to the 40i/50i/50d/etc.
Thanks for confirming that. Though, I was so tired of this problem and plus I had a desire for another car that I sold the car (with papers from the dealer where they claim there is no problem )
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 09:42 PM   #41
Stannabee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 X545e, 2023 Model Y AWD

We are having the exact same issues with our 2022 X5 45e. I’m about to schedule it to go in. We love everything else about the car but this isn’t safe or something we can live with. This post doesn’t give me a ton of hope but I’m hopeful we can quickly resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:23 AM   #42
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stannabee View Post
We are having the exact same issues with our 2022 X5 45e. I’m about to schedule it to go in. We love everything else about the car but this isn’t safe or something we can live with. This post doesn’t give me a ton of hope but I’m hopeful we can quickly resolve the issue.
I simply sold the car and switched to another brand it was pointless to argue with those stubborn people working at the dealer

Also the car was very lemon as I had 13 different problems during my 2 years of ownership

Last edited by finn123; 03-10-2023 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:38 AM   #43
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45E

my 22 45e is having the exact problem. I had the BMW tech scanned it, no faults. not sure what to do next
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:01 AM   #44
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

My '23 45e has been behaving exactly like this too. 3-5x per week when the car is cold, or within the first few minutes of driving, it will jerk aggressively from a stop. It feels like if you revved up an ICE car a bit and then slam the gear shift from Neutral to Drive.

It's not subtle, and I can see the EV power indicator ramping up while the car doesn't move at all. I can either let off the accelerator and try again, or if I push the accelerator harder it slams and jerks away.

I do use Auto Hold at all times.

I have had BMWs with ZF 8-speeds before and this is the only one that does this.