04-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #23
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
Have any '24 owners gotten this feature to work so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to unlock the vehicle?

In my 50e, my Galaxy Fold 3 works fine as a Digital Key but it won't do anything until I hold the phone next to the door handle. I have confirmed that I do have UWB turned on in my phone's wifi settings.
likely needs a wallet update on the phone end.
I had digital key for my LCI X7, about two weeks ago Samsung wallet updated and my key converted to Digital Key Plus, no OTA update on the car. proximity lock/unlock and uwb/ble functionality after the update/conversion. before that never had the functionality, it was only NFC.

it seems to be controlled by samsung (software update wise, bmw is most likely part of the approval process). when i went from an S22 ultra to S23, i lost the nfc function for about a month until bmw approved it and samsung pushed out a wallet update.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 04-25-2023 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 08:57 PM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneAlien View Post
It seems BMW is kinda behind in technology My wife's 3 year old Volvo has the approach enter functionality already..
I may be wrong but I don’t think you fully understand the novelty of BMW’s new Digital Key Plus feature, so if you could please clarify: her 3-year-old Volvo unlocks when she approaches the vehicle with:
a) her key fob in her purse/pocket
b) her phone in her purse/pocket

if a), BMW has had that for many years, too, so they’re not “behind.”

if b), that’s new for BMW with the Digital Key Plus feature. with this feature, one doesn’t need to carry the key fob anymore. the phone functions like the key fob with respect to advanced Comfort Access features, such as “unlock when approaching” and “lock when walking away.” can her Volvo do this with only her phone in her pocket/purse? if it can’t, then Volvo is behind!

PS. I couldn’t find this “approach enter functionality” you’re referring to…
Appreciate 3
      04-26-2023, 09:28 AM   #25
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
likely needs a wallet update on the phone end.
I had digital key for my LCI X7, about two weeks ago Samsung wallet updated and my key converted to Digital Key Plus, no OTA update on the car. proximity lock/unlock and uwb/ble functionality after the update/conversion. before that never had the functionality, it was only NFC.

it seems to be controlled by samsung (software update wise, bmw is most likely part of the approval process). when i went from an S22 ultra to S23, i lost the nfc function for about a month until bmw approved it and samsung pushed out a wallet update.
I updated the wallet app in the Galaxy store (why is this necessary???) and it looks like that did the trick. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #26
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
It seems BMW is kinda behind in technology My wife's 3 year old Volvo has the approach enter functionality already..
BMW has that through Comfort Access and now Digital Key Plus. Apple has a page showing which models have Digital Key support and there are no Volvos on the list at all.
      04-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #27
Bhuvi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 and 2024 X5 50e

Digital key plus - does it work on the Apple Watch ? If yes how do you do it ? I have the bmw app on the watch and the Apple wallet but the wallet doesn’t show the key in the watch. Is there another way ?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 11:23 AM   #28
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Very interesting. Because here’s a phrase from a 2022 article: “According to Michael Schweitzer of Volvo Cars, the Swedish automaker currently has no vehicles with UWB technology in its lineup. However, this will be taken into account when planning future models, a Volvo spokesperson informed us.” Yet you’re saying your wife’s 2020 Volvo has it. Can you confirm that she uses her phone as a car key and she doesn’t even have to take it out of her purse and the car unlocks?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 01:54 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
Very interesting. Because here’s a phrase from a 2022 article: “According to Michael Schweitzer of Volvo Cars, the Swedish automaker currently has no vehicles with UWB technology in its lineup. However, this will be taken into account when planning future models, a Volvo spokesperson informed us.” Yet you’re saying your wife’s 2020 Volvo has it. Can you confirm that she uses her phone as a car key and she doesn’t even have to take it out of her purse and the car unlocks?
Seems best to just ignore what he says, he rarely reads and understands what he is responding to. More than likely he is referring to something similar to comfort access with the key fob.
      09-13-2023, 11:51 AM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Dug up this thread vs starting a new one regarding the odd behavior I'm having with digital key plus on the 2024 40i (June build date and currently on 03/2023.45). I had originally set up my wife's profile first as it's her DD, assigned her fob to #1 seating, etc. with linkage to her BMW connected drive profile, etc. Then set up mine later tied to the other fob, seating position #2, etc. Everything worked great.

In the MyBMW app I had a tile to set up digital key plus. First attempt failed as only the primary user can enable a digital key (regardless of plus). Since my wife's profile was first set up it was by default the primary user and mine secondary. No big deal as migrated primary user rights from her profile to mine (simple process within the MyBMW app).

The first attempt to set up digital key plus failed with a nonsensical error message about connectivity. Searched the forums and the apparent solutions were: A) remove the vehicle from my garage and start over or B) reset the digital key to factory settings within iDrive. Went with B as path of least resistance and worked like a champ with a successful digital key plus pairing to my Google Pixel 7 Pro and the key in my Google Wallet.

This was done on a Saturday and all worked well every time I drove the X5 over the weekend to run errands (enjoying it when I can to further refine the iD8 settings for the wife and I). That said the next time I attempted to use my Pixel 7 Pro as my key it appeared to have reverted to digital key 2.0 (technically the Car Connectivity Consortium's standard with 3.0 including UWB). So had to touch the handle, put it in the wireless starting tray to start, etc.

I just reset the digital key back to factory, re-paired digital key plus in the MyBMW app and was back in business. But then it happened again the next day. I realized at that point since I did the "fix" last Thursday evening, tested it multiple times, etc. the fact it didn't work on Friday evening (reverted back to 2.0) was my wife drove the X5 using her fob as usual to work on Friday.

I found one hit on Reddit for a similar experience but in that case the OP shares the digital key with his wife's iPhone. Similar though as his works in 3.0 until his wife uses hers and then boom he's back in 2.0. Further testing on my end indicates UWB 3.0 is somewhat still active after the "bug" hits. The fact being in my wallet if within UWB range the buttons below the key to lock, unlock, tailgate, etc. all work. It's just the comfort aspect of the 3.0 UWB spec gets apparently broken. Pic attached shows them greyed out and not connected as my wife has the X5 today at work so nowhere within range. However, when she gets home I'll update with connected and all buttons active.

Anybody have a similar experience and if so have you figured out the issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 04:18 PM   #31
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuvi View Post
Digital key plus - does it work on the Apple Watch ? If yes how do you do it ? I have the bmw app on the watch and the Apple wallet but the wallet doesn’t show the key in the watch. Is there another way ?
Yes, I use it all the time. Very useful.

You make digital key the same way as your phone with both keys in the car. Have the watch on when you make the keys. It will prompt you after making the phone key.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 04:28 PM   #32
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Yes, I use it all the time. Very useful.

You make digital key the same way as your phone with both keys in the car. Have the watch on when you make the keys. It will prompt you after making the phone key.
Same for me. It works great. I often walk by the car without my phone (going out for a run) and it unlocks every time. It’s an Apple Watch Ultra. Not sure if there is a series before which it doesn’t work as well.
Appreciate 1
cdhowell127.50
      09-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #33
johneric2005
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Just being proactive here, but does anyone know if one has to set-up a new Digital Key when you get a new phone or just it transfer over when doing the set up of the new phone. Going from iPhone 12 to 15?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:03 PM   #34
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoMA View Post
I have an iPhone 14 Pro + X5 50e... and Digital Key Plus works great.

I also have an Apple Watch so feel good about the redundancy in case I lose my phone while out driving. Though I haven't tested opening the car with Apple Watch only yet.

The ONLY concern I can see is getting so used to it that if i am ever driving around a city and valet the car, I will forget to bring a key for the valet. Maybe I'll leave a credit card key deactivated in the car for this kind of situation.
You could technically send the valet your key via iMessage in a pinch and they can access it to unlock and drive in limited capacity (no joyrides)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #35
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

Quote:
My wife has an iphone 14. Can I set up digital key plus on her phone with my car even though she's a secondary user?
Once you’re set up, you can literally just share it with her via airdrop or iMessage from the wallet. It’s pretty slick.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #36
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneric2005 View Post
Just being proactive here, but does anyone know if one has to set-up a new Digital Key when you get a new phone or just it transfer over when doing the set up of the new phone. Going from iPhone 12 to 15?
When I activated my new iPhone, the old digital key was no longer showing and I had to activate a new one. I believe once you do this, the old one becomes inactivate.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #37
johneric2005
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
When I activated my new iPhone, the old digital key was no longer showing and I had to activate a new one. I believe once you do this, the old one becomes inactivate.
Makes sense. I suspected as much. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
likely, but if able (old phone still works before upgrading), it’s better practice to remove the Digital Key before getting rid of the old phone
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 01:32 AM   #39
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Anybody have a similar experience and if so have you figured out the issue?
Pretty much the exact same situation. Set up DK+ for my gf and it worked like a charm. Then used my own regular key in-between and this morning she couldn't use her phone anymore. Need to investigate later why but I suspect it's the same issue.

I also can't add the car to my myBMW garage. I was able to do it as primary user but then removed the car again so my gf could add it and use DK+ (my phone doesn't support UWB) and she could add it fine but I only get to the point where the car is in the myBMW garage but says "Additional information required" and when I click on continue it asks me to accept the BMW TOS in an endless loop. I accept and it would load for 5s and ask me to accept again. Already tried everything. Removing the car completely, reinstalling the app, etc. (Apart from resetting the car completely to factory settings, which I would like to avoid.) (€dit: This was just fixed by the BMW Connected Drive Support.)

Last edited by SwissBeemer; 09-25-2023 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 12:30 PM   #40
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
Pretty much the exact same situation. Set up DK+ for my gf and it worked like a charm. Then used my own regular key in-between and this morning she couldn't use her phone anymore. Need to investigate later why but I suspect it's the same issue.
Sounds like a similar experience tracking to my situation. Is your GF's phone also Android? I've read a few posts with iOS getting a little flaky for DK+ but in those cases they just pull the door handle a few times with the phone still in their pocket and that seems to "wake" up the UWB.

For me there is no way I can come up with to get the UWB comfort access back alive without reprovisioning the key. The odd thing is that UWB is still active, e.g., the buttons on the key work to lock/unlock, etc. from 10 feet or more away from the X5. But if I unlock with the button on the key the X5 doesn't recognize my Google Pixel 7 Pro to start the car without putting it in the wireless tray. Same for lock/unlock without the key's buttons, i.e., I have to touch the door handle with the phone just like DK.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 01:37 AM   #41
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Sounds like a similar experience tracking to my situation. Is your GF's phone also Android? I've read a few posts with iOS getting a little flaky for DK+ but in those cases they just pull the door handle a few times with the phone still in their pocket and that seems to "wake" up the UWB.

For me there is no way I can come up with to get the UWB comfort access back alive without reprovisioning the key. The odd thing is that UWB is still active, e.g., the buttons on the key work to lock/unlock, etc. from 10 feet or more away from the X5. But if I unlock with the button on the key the X5 doesn't recognize my Google Pixel 7 Pro to start the car without putting it in the wireless tray. Same for lock/unlock without the key's buttons, i.e., I have to touch the door handle with the phone just like DK.
It's the exact same situation for me: Android phone and only NFC works after I've used my key. (Except for using the phone as a remote. But I think those commands are coming through Connected Drive then, so over internet connection.) Not sure what to do here. The only mention of this problem I could find was here. I don't want to bring the car to the dealer for this ... Maybe I can open a ticket with BMW Connected Drive for this.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 10:00 AM   #42
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's the exact same situation for me: Android phone and only NFC works after I've used my key. (Except for using the phone as a remote. But I think those commands are coming through Connected Drive then, so over internet connection.)
That is an odd angle if the digital key buttons are using the Connected Drive aka MyBMW app to transmit. The reason I hadn't considered that is they are instantaneous. My understanding is that the MyBMW app sends commands through the Connected Drive service from the phone via its Internet but from the cloud to the car it is using the Satellite antenna vs the Internet. The Satellite/GPS is always on vs the AT&T built-in hotspot is not (only active with at least iDrive on and obviously when the car is running). Hence, so even an unlock using the MyBMW app takes several seconds for the transmission.

The reason for knowing this, i.e., Satellite vs Internet is the wife's old 2017 X5 with iD6 did not have Internet capabilities whatsoever. However, I could locate it via the MyBMW app as well as lock/unlock it remotely from my house while the X5 was ~25 miles away in her school parking lot. Locked it several times when she apparently forgot to do so in her morning rush to get to her classroom before the 1st period bell rang. 👍

Quote:
Not sure what to do here. The only mention of this problem I could find was here. I don't want to bring the car to the dealer for this ... Maybe I can open a ticket with BMW Connected Drive for this.
The link didn't work but I found the article on the iX forum with some deduction based on the URL. That "fix" won't work for me as I need both my M850i and the new X5 40i Bluetooth saved in my known Bluetooth connections on my phone. The OP nuking the old X3 and just having the Xdrive50's Bluetooth saved in the phone's known Bluetooth connections apparently solved the similar issue for him.

That said I did find this article on the IX forum as well:

https://www.********.com/threads/and...onnected.2521/

which refers once again to waking the car up. I'm going to try that process again this evening when the wife is back home from working but this time with a little more patience. 😜

Edit: it looks like Bimmerpost masks the URL of competitive forums (seriously?) as I can post URLs all day long without the masking to news articles, Amazon store products (do that often for helping people by OBD modules, etc ). That said you can find it as article 2521 on the IX forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #43
adubbs09
Rep

Has anyone had this happen. My phone is what I have been using as a key on my 50e. We were away over the weekend and my wife had her keys in the car as well. I walked away to drop something at the hotel we were at and the car locked her keys inside. She was locked out and my infant son was inside. I was only gone for a few minutes but she was annoyed if locked when her keys were in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 01:28 PM   #44
The Machine
Rep

Quote:
Have any '24 owners gotten this feature to work so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to unlock the vehicle?

In my 50e, my Galaxy Fold 3 works fine as a Digital Key but it won't do anything until I hold the phone next to the door handle. I have confirmed that I do have UWB turned on in my phone's wifi settings.
You probably might have to turn your phone's location on for the car to recognize your phone is nearby. I have S23 Ultra, and if the location is on, it unlocks the car when I approach and locks it when I walk away.
Appreciate 0