02-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
CarPlay Problem

Posting the in the slim chance someone knows of a fix.

Okay, just took delivery of the new X5 and I cannot seem to get my wife's iPhone X setup with CarPlay on this car. I was able to get my iPhone 11 Pro setup however, her phone can pair with BT but it won't pair to enable CarPlay. Both our phones are updated with the most recent versions of the GA version of iOS. No updates are available for either phone and we're not running pre-released (Beta) software.

When I try and select CarPlay in the iDrive screen for her phone, I get two separate profiles. One with the CarPlay symbol only and the second profile with the WiFi 'Fan' but then nothing works and the CarPlay profile disconnects and reconnects then fails to pair. My phone shows up with a single profile.

I tried removing her phone profile from the X5 and removed the X5 from her phone, waited an hour, hard restarted her phone and tried to re-add her phone to the X5 but I get the same results.

I'm starting to suspect something with her phone and have checked for restrictions and such but nothing seems to jump out. It's also curious since CarPlay worked fine with her phone and the previous (F15) X5.

Has anyone encountered something like this?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 50 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post

Okay, just took delivery of the new X5 and I cannot seem to get my wife's iPhone X setup with CarPlay on this car. I was able to get my iPhone 11 Pro setup however, her phone can pair with BT but it won't pair to enable CarPlay. Both our phones are updated with the most recent versions of the GA version of iOS. No updates are available for either phone and we're not running pre-released (Beta) software.

When I try and select CarPlay in the iDrive screen for her phone, I get two separate profiles. One with the CarPlay symbol only and the second profile with the WiFi 'Fan' but then nothing works and the CarPlay profile disconnects and reconnects then fails to pair. My phone shows up with a single profile.

I tried removing her phone profile from the X5 and removed the X5 from her phone, waited an hour, hard restarted her phone and tried to re-add her phone to the X5 but I get the same results.

I'm starting to suspect something with her phone and have checked for restrictions and such but nothing seems to jump out. It's also curious since CarPlay worked fine with her phone and the previous (F15) X5.

Can’t say for sure but I’d think its worth a shot to reset the iDrive system. Press and hold the volume knob for about 1 minute and try again when screen is back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post

You need a WiFi connection for CarPlay. I presume WiFi is turned on her phone?

Did you try with only her phone in the car. Maybe you can only link one iPhone at once with CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBX23 View Post
Can’t say for sure but I’d think its worth a shot to reset the iDrive system. Press and hold the volume knob for about 1 minute and try again when screen is back on.
No change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
You need a WiFi connection for CarPlay. I presume WiFi is turned on her phone?

Did you try with only her phone in the car. Maybe you can only link one iPhone at once with CarPlay?
Wifi is turned on her phone. I initially did try with only her phone (mine wasn't anywhere near the car) although I know CarPlay will support multiple phones although I believe only one with pair with CarPlay at a time. I added my phone to CarPlay only to rule out a problem with the X5. I don't use CarPlay myself unless I'm in a GM/Ford/FCA rental.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I've had this before and I don't know how I fixed it. For me my phone showed up twice, one called my name's iPhone and one called my name-s iPhone. I am not certain of the exact steps I took to fix it other than after my phone was paired I went to where you can change the connection type from BMW connected drive to Apple CarPlay and then it would pop up with an error and then after about 30 minutes of mucking around with it I gave up and started to drive off and as soon as I started driving CarPlay reconnected and started working. So, I am not 100% certain but I think it has to do with being stationary vs on the move. Not really sure what that would be the case but there are a lot of idiosyncrasies with the car. Once you know / understand how it works it is no longer frustrating but I think the frustration arises when you don't have a full grasp of the sequence of actions the car expects / demands.

One other example - I have the setting to fold the mirrors upon locking the car as well as the comfort access which locks the car automatically when walking away. I've noticed that when I park and leave the car the mirrors fold in. On the occasions when lets say I've forgotten something in the car and had to go back for it the mirrors fold out when I approach the car and it unlocks. When I then leave the car again (without driving) the car locks when I step far enough away but the mirrors do not fold in. I thought this was just a glitch (maybe it really is!) but it happens every time if you unlock and then lock the car again without driving it. So, at least now I know that's how it is and it is no longer frustrating me in terms of trying to figure it out, hah.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #6
SmartGuyFromChina
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 M50d

1 Forget all connections from car and phone

2 Change the name of your iPhone to something without space or special characters, eg: iPhone111

3 re connect

You are welcome
      02-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay, so I finally got it working but it was more of giving the whole process a 'kick' that may have got it working.

Short version:
Adding the phone that worked immediately after adding the failed phone while still leaving the failed phone in the 'failed CarPlay' state seemed to get things working for both phones.

The long version:
I had reset network settings on the iPhone X that was having issues. This effectively removed all network connections and renamed the phone to iPhone. I removed all Bluetooth connections from both the car and that phone. I also removed the working iPhone 11 Pro from the X5.

Adding the iPhone X resulted in the same errant behavior. A few additional reset and restarts of the iPhone and X5 didn't change anything. At this point I was about to give up but wanted to see if the iPhone 11 Pro would join the car and connect through CarPlay again. I left the iPhone X in the state where it only showed the CarPlay icon but not connect (worked fine for Bluetooth calls with iDrive but not CarPlay).

With both phones next to me I started to add the iPhone 11 Pro and I was prompted by a message on the iPhone 11 Pro asking if I wanted to use CarPlay and at that same time the message also popped up on the iPhone X which was sitting 'ON' and on the seat next to me. This message never showed up on the iPhone X before. After acknowledging the message, both phones where paired and worked with CarPlay on the X5!

I've never run into this problem with two other BMW's so this is a bit strange for me. I still think something wasn't (isn't?) right with my wife's phone and it seems to have failed on her phone at the state of pairing when there is a handoff between bluetooth over to Wifi for CarPlay to work.
Appreciate 0