skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I could care less about the Theft aspect. If the game is shit, the publisher doesn't deserve to make thousands+ because they rushed it out the door.

My only concern with piracy is keeping those that would otherwise create good games from doing so.
If it's shit, then people won't buy it. I've never understood that pirate mentality. "They don't deserve to make money on it because it sucks, so I'm going to pirate it because...I want to play it?"
      04-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #24
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
If it's shit, then people won't buy it. I've never understood that pirate mentality. "They don't deserve to make money on it because it sucks, so I'm going to pirate it because...I want to play it?"
Sadly, this is not true.

At a time when few computer games produce demos BEFORE they are put on sale, coupled with clever or smart marketing and boredom of the individuals in their targeted market it is very easy for a poor or lack luster game to still sell well.

The opinion expressed in your post is not a reason/justification 'to' pirate. Piracy is just a by-product of that point of view. What you've quoted is just how someone whose played more games than I'll ever care to admit to feels about current games coming to the market. There are many game studios now that I've never heard of with no credit or history. Some of these studios come out with truly great games but most do not.

However, they all equally want me to spend all my money on their products. Buying a $60 (since they felt so compelled to increase the standard price per game) game that has less than a 40 hour single-player and filling the rest with multi-player (read: free to develop filler content) is a waste. Games like Torchlight did it right where the price was low because they know what their product was. The value of Torchlight exceeded the price.

Regardless, the issue of piracy won't be solved in this thread over the internet. Which is why I'm not going to touch debating it's merits. This is not to say that I am currently an active and heavy pirater of media. It's been a while. However, I'm not against it as that is the ideal situation for the internet to exist in. When it is easier to get a game via piracy than it is to buy it outright, then there is a problem with the system. And as a whole the market needs to adjust, adapt, and use the system to their advantage instead of trying to beat all their potential customer's into submission.

This is also an issue with the MPAA and RIAA. But that is another topic.
      04-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #25
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Crysis 1 is still the best looking game ever!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #26
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

I just played a little bit of Crysis 2... and I want to play more of it! Apparently Homefront's campaign takes about 3.5 hours or so to beat and as others have said it seems unfinished. If I had to chose I'd get Crysis 2. I know I want to
      04-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #27
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
What are you talking about? Crytek released an early multiplayer demo because so many of their fans refused to play the early pirate that got leaked. Not to mention people then proceeded to cheat on the MP Demo. So what as Crytek done that we as gamer's should be so outraged about?

The only thing pirating a game like Crysis 2 does is ensure that we won't see any more high end games on the PC. Or any game save for an MMO. Which would be a shame since the PC is a much superior gaming interface than a console for the people with enough time, money, and/or competency.
Very true, that is a large part of why there arent as many good titles out just for PC right now. It's sad as you wrote the PC is by far the best platform.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #28
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

homefront is POS

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #29
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Very true, that is a large part of why there arent as many good titles out just for PC right now. It's sad as you wrote the PC is by far the best platform.
False.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
i'm pretty sure that isnt the reason. much bigger market with consoles...
Appreciate 0