drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
There are a ton more, but should be enough to get started.
The thread title got changed, but I never intended to limit this to CAR-related PSAs. Since it was OT, I figured we could address other issues as well.

Maybe MODs are just trying to keep it somewhat car-specific after recent "complaints" about top results?
It's also quickly turning into a driving pet peeve thread, so prepare yourself for total loss of control
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614904.50
King Rudi13152.00
      08-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
The thread title got changed, but I never intended to limit this to CAR-related PSAs. Since it was OT, I figured we could address other issues as well.

Maybe MODs are just trying to keep it somewhat car-specific after recent "complaints" about top results?
The title needs to accurately reflect the contents of the thread. So you must have intended to limit to car related PSAs.
      08-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #25
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This one is actually s/t new I learned to be wary of: a lot of the new commercial trucks (like those used by FedEx) now come with very aggressive anti-collision systems that will peg the brakes if somebody cuts in front too closely. If the drivers forget to put the system into 'city mode' this is happens a lot. I don't like to tailgate, but I tend to consider pro drivers to be more reliable, and would surely be surprised if one started brake checking in heavy traffic.

And more in keeping with the spirit of the thread: don't take your thorazine until after you get home.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #26
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Merges are the worst, I found drivers in WA to be among the most incompetent mergers in the country. They see me and my giant truck and RV coming down the road and logic would dictate maybe I should speed up and get ahead of this death trap or maybe I'll slow down and let it pass. Especially since I'm in a small nimble car and they're in a freight train.

Nahhhh.... let's match it's speed precisely so by the time I run out of road I will be right smack next to the death trap and I'll freak out and have to smash the brakes or go for a little off-roading excursion... yeah that sounds like much more fun!
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
NickyC17353.00
      08-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #27
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
If a motorcycle closes up on you, even on a two-lane road, do NOT move past the white line on the right and kick up a shitload of debris, unless you think we might be relatives and want to run some of my DNA off your windshield thru one of the testing sites. When it is safe for me to pass, I WILL.

I only rode 8 miles home last night, and 6 yahoos, even on multi-lane roads, pulled across the right line - SMH
Then why do most people on bikes give a thumbsup when I give them space to cruise by?
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Then why do most people on bikes give a thumbsup when I give them space to cruise by?
A SLIGHT move to one side is fine, I appreciate the fact your are paying attention and see me, that will get a thumbs up.

Pulling half your car across the white line, so that you are picking up all the debris from the breakdown lane or center median will get you the DNA sample.
Appreciate 2
PoorLurker1135.00
tcphoto3477.00
      08-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #29
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
The title needs to accurately reflect the contents of the thread. So you must have intended to limit to car related PSAs.
Original title was "What PSA would you make" Neither cars, nor "me" involved, other than I participated.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #30
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Merges are the worst, I found drivers in WA to be among the most incompetent mergers in the country. They see me and my giant truck and RV coming down the road and logic would dictate maybe I should speed up and get ahead of this death trap or maybe I'll slow down and let it pass. Especially since I'm in a small nimble car and they're in a freight train.

Nahhhh.... let's match it's speed precisely so by the time I run out of road I will be right smack next to the death trap and I'll freak out and have to smash the brakes or go for a little off-roading excursion... yeah that sounds like much more fun!
Continuing on the "WA drivers are the most inept in the country" theme, because you are 10,000% correct....

Came closer to certain death today than I have even been in nearly 30 years of motorcycle riding.

Was in the right lane of I-5 South heading into downtown at about 6:45 AM. My lane is exiting so I need to get over to the left 1 lane. Traffic is heavy and all lanes are moving at about 45 MPH. I put my blinker on and check my mirror. There's a white SUV in the lane I want to merge into but he's way back there. Hard to judge in the mirror but it's like 10+ car lengths. Crazy, there's rarely a gap that big. Cant sit and stare at the mirror too long as the car in front of me has a 50/50 chance of locking up the brakes for no reason as dreamingat30fps correctly pointed out. Check my gap between me and the car in front. All good. I turn to the left and do a physical head check for that white SUV. Nothing. Cant twist far enough back to even see him so all's good. I start my merge into the next lane over and right about the time I hit the painted lane stripes that white SUV absolutely blows past me doing at least 20 MPH more than the rest of traffic. There's a very faint "tick" on my helmet like a little pebble hit it. I seriously think it was his mirror just ever so slightly clipping me. He continued on to tailgate the car he ended up behind and then aggressively change over 3 lanes without signaling or looking. Worst of all, he was in a BMW X4 or X6. Way to live up to the stereotype, dick.

So my PSA is two-fold. For the 4 wheel crowd: Don't drive 20+ MPH faster than everyone else in heavy traffic and put yourself in a position to kill a motorcyclist who is changing lanes. For the 2 wheel crowd: Never assume typical closing speed.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #31
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Another...

Ride / keep you bicycle in the bike lane, single file if necessary, when there is a bike lane. If there is no bike lane, don’t block cars traveling 2-3x your speed by riding side by side with other bicycles. Better yet, consider riding somewhere there is a bike lane (there are more than enough nowadays) or less car traffic. Don’t look at your phone while riding a bicycle on a street where cars are driving and remember to follow traffic rules, including not cutting in front of a car by blowing through stop signs. A special bicycle outfit does not bestow super hero powers. Believe it or not, you might live longer exercising a little common sense.
Rmtt8206.00
      08-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #32
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Another...

Ride / keep you bicycle in the bike lane, single file if necessary, when there is a bike lane. If there is no bike lane, don’t block cars traveling 2-3x your speed by riding side by side with other bicycles. Better yet, consider riding somewhere there is a bike lane (there are more than enough nowadays) or less car traffic. Don’t look at your phone while riding a bicycle on a street where cars are driving and remember to follow traffic rules, including not cutting in front of a car by blowing through stop signs. A special bicycle outfit does not bestow super hero powers. Believe it or not, you might live longer exercising a little common sense.
In Cali, it's is now legal (and encouraged with lane markings) to use the complete right lane for bicycles.

Me, I still don't trust people, so ride against traffic so I can at least see the ID-10T coming to hit me. DESPITE what that nice CHP officer taught me in traffic school, that elderly drivers may suddenly think they are on the wrong side of the road and veer into me. At least I have .0001% chance of avoiding.
Appreciate 1
wpTXX5116.00
      08-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #33
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
It's also quickly turning into a driving pet peeve thread, so prepare yourself for total loss of control
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #34
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Anyone with a license should literally be forced to subscribe and watch every single one of these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CarCrashAllTime/videos

99% of the "accidents" that occur in these instances are 100% EASILY avoidable!! For instance:
1. Don't tailgate...it doesn't take a physics major to know that you will NOT stop in time, no matter how fast your reaction times are, how fancy your tires are, or how many speedholes your rotors have.

2. When there are 2 lanes that turn in the same direction, why do people feel the need to sidle alongside the car next to them? Can't people understand that most everybody on the road is incapable of reasonably maintaining their lane?

3. Why do people wait until they are 3/4 of the way down a merge/exit lane before signaling? Turn your F'n signal on BEFORE parallel traffic can see you to at least let people know your immediate intention.

4. If you're first in line stopped at a red light, I don't care how green the light turns...do yourself a favor and look both ways before entering the intersection. It costs you nothing to do so.

5. If you're on a multiple lane road and a lane on either side of you is completely stopped...don't go driving at some insane speed just because your lane is clear. You can almost always count on a car coming from the opposing direction being let in by stopped traffic asking to get t-boned.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #35
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Continuing on the "WA drivers are the most inept in the country" theme, because you are 10,000% correct....

Came closer to certain death today than I have even been in nearly 30 years of motorcycle riding.

Was in the right lane of I-5 South heading into downtown at about 6:45 AM. My lane is exiting so I need to get over to the left 1 lane. Traffic is heavy and all lanes are moving at about 45 MPH. I put my blinker on and check my mirror. There's a white SUV in the lane I want to merge into but he's way back there. Hard to judge in the mirror but it's like 10+ car lengths. Crazy, there's rarely a gap that big. Cant sit and stare at the mirror too long as the car in front of me has a 50/50 chance of locking up the brakes for no reason as dreamingat30fps correctly pointed out. Check my gap between me and the car in front. All good. I turn to the left and do a physical head check for that white SUV. Nothing. Cant twist far enough back to even see him so all's good. I start my merge into the next lane over and right about the time I hit the painted lane stripes that white SUV absolutely blows past me doing at least 20 MPH more than the rest of traffic. There's a very faint "tick" on my helmet like a little pebble hit it. I seriously think it was his mirror just ever so slightly clipping me. He continued on to tailgate the car he ended up behind and then aggressively change over 3 lanes without signaling or looking. Worst of all, he was in a BMW X4 or X6. Way to live up to the stereotype, dick.

So my PSA is two-fold. For the 4 wheel crowd: Don't drive 20+ MPH faster than everyone else in heavy traffic and put yourself in a position to kill a motorcyclist who is changing lanes. For the 2 wheel crowd: Never assume typical closing speed.
Your first mistake was using the turn signal, everyone knows the purpose of which is to indicate you wish to challenge the vehicle in that lane to a battle of wits!!!!

Quote:
Another...

Don't get me started on the bicycle people, I was about to just plow through a whole field of these bastards driving through Napa or Sedona or some shit in CA. Pretty windy mountain roads with barely enough space for the two lanes of traffic. Double yellow the whole way (for good reason) and these fuckers are taking up half the lane, riding side by side, wobbling all over the fucking place looking like they were about to have a fucking heart attack. Sure they may be in the right to ride there or whatever, but at the end of the day it will probably be their family in court, because bike vs car won't end well for the bike.

I gotta give them credit though, they got balls riding that shit on these roads with cars coming behind them 50+ mph. Maybe they feel they have to compensate for their horribly gay choice of sport/activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
5. If you're on a multiple lane road and a lane on either side of you is completely stopped...don't go driving at some insane speed just because your lane is clear. You can almost always count on a car coming from the opposing direction being let in by stopped traffic asking to get t-boned.
Ahhh this one is super fun back home, especially in Miami where they have those express lanes. When they first put that crap up the poles were far apart enough that cars could get through from the regular lanes. So traffic would build up in the regular lanes while the express lane was clear and cars are going 70-80mph+ then all of the sudden you get one of these mental midgets popup in front of you from basically a stop.

They have since put the poles closer together but half are all messed up and the people down there don't give a shit what it may do to their car and still come through. That's why I never drive on the right lane of the express lanes when there is traffic on the other side.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410882.00
      08-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #36
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:

Your first mistake was using the turn signal, everyone knows the purpose of which is to indicate you wish to challenge the vehicle in that lane to a battle of wits!!!!

Quote:
Another...

Ride / keep you bicycle in the bike lane, single file if necessary, when there is a bike lane. If there is no bike lane, don't block cars traveling 2-3x your speed by riding side by side with other bicycles. Better yet, consider riding somewhere there is a bike lane (there are more than enough nowadays) or less car traffic. Don't look at your phone while riding a bicycle on a street where cars are driving and remember to follow traffic rules, including not cutting in front of a car by blowing through stop signs. A special bicycle outfit does not bestow super hero powers. Believe it or not, you might live longer exercising a little common sense.
Don't get me started on the bicycle people, I was about to just plow through a whole field of these bastards driving through Napa or Sedona or some shit in CA. Pretty windy mountain roads with barely enough space for the two lanes of traffic. Double yellow the whole way (for good reason) and these fuckers are taking up half the lane, riding side by side, wobbling all over the fucking place looking like they were about to have a fucking heart attack. Sure they may be in the right to ride there or whatever, but at the end of the day it will probably be their family in court, because bike vs car won't end well for the bike.

I gotta give them credit though, they got balls riding that shit on these roads with cars coming behind them 50+ mph. Maybe they feel they have to compensate for their horribly gay choice of sport/activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Ahhh this one is super fun back home, especially in Miami where they have those express lanes. When they first put that crap up the poles were far apart enough that cars could get through from the regular lanes. So traffic would build up in the regular lanes while the express lane was clear and cars are going 70-80mph+ then all of the sudden you get one of these mental midgets popup in front of you from basically a stop.

They have since put the poles closer together but half are all messed up and the people down there don't give a shit what it may do to their car and still come through. That's why I never drive on the right lane of the express lanes when there is traffic on the other side.
Cyclists and walkers are my nemesis around here. I've never seen a cyclist who stopped at a stop sign. They ride on sidewalks, cut across cross walks, ride on the wrong side of the road or two wide, it's ridiculous.

I live on a dead end road and even when I leave for work at 6am there are people walking, many times with their dogs. Always in dark clothing, taking up the whole road on a blind corner. Often the dogs are not on leashes and they look at me like it's my fault when their dog runs right at my car barking.

Maybe I grew up in a different "era" being 29 years old, but whenever I rode my bike on the street or was walking I GTFO of the way when a car was coming. Last winter I passed a guy in a snowstorm at 10pm riding his bike in the middle of the road. I'll chalk that one up as heavy drug use.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #37
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Anticipate the green....check for cross traffic and F****** GO!!!!

Don't finish your text or whatever the hell you are doing. GO!!!!!

Nothing like not going and then only getting 3 cars through a light.....

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      08-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #38
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

I live on a dead end road and even when I leave for work at 6am there are people walking, many times with their dogs. Always in dark clothing, taking up the whole road on a blind corner. Often the dogs are not on leashes and they look at me like it's my fault when their dog runs right at my car barking.

:
Every
Single
Day...

Shoot me. I leave before 6:00 am, and encounter the above daily. And there is also the kid that crosses a winding two lane roadway in the blind curve with his hood over his head, all dark clothes with his head in his f'ing phone. I swear one day I'm going to pull over and slap him.
      08-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #39
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I'm down for making a PSA in relation to not changing thread titles, as not to confuse the good people of the forums.

The mods were just looking out for us as they knew what UncleWede wanted, whether expressed or not.

I'd also like to make a PSA about making PSA's all while explaining the difficulty in making a PSA about PSA's while avoiding subject changes in PSA make-ry. Then I would pause mid-PSA to create a round table discussion with everyone in the room concerning traffic safey.

I'll see myself out.....

Quote:
Every
Single
Day...

Shoot me. I leave before 6:00 am, and encounter the above daily. And there is also the kid that crosses a winding two lane roadway in the blind curve with his hood over his head, all dark clothes with his head in his f'ing phone. I swear one day I'm going to pull over and slap him.
Odd.....I experience almost the exact some thing. Last house on the left in a cul de sac. Two individuals - one is a fitness fanatic, I'll give him props; he runs every morning - rain, sleet or snow. This guy does wear a reflective vest with flashing lights and will move to the opposite side of the road when he sees cars coming. Very attentive, polite, friendly, always waves and smiles. Great job running guy! Then we have a nice old lady who is always walking her dog. You can tell the dog doesn't like her, probably because she is always walking it. If I am leaving my house, or returning home; there she is in the street walking said dog with big stupid grin on her face waving like she's being assaulted by a swarm of killer bees. Walk your depressed dog ma'am, but stay out of the street please.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15581.00
Rmtt8206.00
      08-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #40
DETRoadster
Rep

No, no, no, no! Just NO!!! https://komonews.com/news/local/troo...nes-08-14-2019
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #41
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bro!!! That shit was an emergency, he found Charizard on all 8 devices!!!

I'd like to mention that I had to google any of the characters in order to deliver this weak joke. Effort<result

Wow....proof that our own devilish needs of Pokemon go success outweigh human lives.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #42
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Bro!!! That shit was an emergency, he found Charizard on all 8 devices!!!

I'd like to mention that I had to google any of the characters in order to deliver this weak joke. Effort<result

Wow....proof that our own devilish needs of Pokemon go success outweigh human lives.
I cant believe the officer simply let him off with a warning because he didn't see him driving while playing. WTF?! What more proof do you need? We need our resident former LEO, Grumpy Old Man to weigh in. 8 phones all playing Pokemon while on the side of the highway? Cuff 'em and stuff 'em I say.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #43
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
I cant believe the officer simply let him off with a warning because he didn't see him driving while playing. WTF?! What more proof do you need? We need our resident former LEO, Grumpy Old Man to weigh in. 8 phones all playing Pokemon while on the side of the highway? Cuff 'em and stuff 'em I say.
We have a "Distracted Driving" offence under the Highway Traffic Act in Ontario. The fine is $1000 if I'm not mistaken. I'd be inclined to seize the phones and whatever holder he had them mounted to as "evidence of the offence" and "to prevent the continuation of the offence".....I used to love seizing property....
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
DETRoadster11446.00
vreihen1614904.50
      08-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #44
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Don't get wrong here, warnings have their place and should be used in accordance with severity of the violation; however, this is exactly why shit it so far out of control in society. We slap people on the wrist for putting others in danger, all while throwing the book at others. I would go as far as to say, that this warning doesn't cease future similar behavior from this guy; eventually someone will be hurt because of this.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00