BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-30-2023, 07:27 AM   #1
allenZJH
Rep
Drives: X7

Do I need to go to dealership to upgrade to OS 8.5?

I have a 2024 X5 but am wondering if I have to go to the dealership to upgrade it to 8.5. I thought it could be done via OTA. If it could be done via OTA, can I just do it at home by myself? Because I also have a model y which was upgraded to new software at home before. I thought OTA upgrade should be just the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:32 AM   #2
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenZJH View Post
I have a 2024 X5 but am wondering if I have to go to the dealership to upgrade it to 8.5. I thought it could be done via OTA. If it could be done via OTA, can I just do it at home by myself? Because I also have a model y which was upgraded to new software at home before. I thought OTA upgrade should be just the same.
It will come as OTA that you can do at home in Sept. Dealership can and would update to 8.5 only if another repair on the car requires as software upgrade and not solely because customer wants iDrive 8.5. Some dealers do this out of courtesy but not guaranteed and many reject this. This is the main thread about iDrive 8.5 that you can read more about this.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Yea. You'll get it OTA in Sept.

If you really want it, go to the dealership you bought the car from and nicely ask for it. If you are impacted by any of the recalls or have issues, once your car is already in the service dept queue, most service advisor would happily install the update for you at no charge.
Appreciate 0