BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2023, 11:20 PM   #1
Flummox
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i

Limited-duration Highway Assistant?

I was looking through the summary of my 50e build and saw this disclaimer for the Driving Assistance Pro Package:
“Included in this package is the Highway Assistant feature which is provided for the first 8 years after vehicle sale. The feature will disable after that time.
I’ve never heard of a non-subscription feature being sunsetted like this. Does anyone know what this is all about?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:46 AM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flummox View Post
I was looking through the summary of my 50e build and saw this disclaimer for the Driving Assistance Pro Package:
“Included in this package is the Highway Assistant feature which is provided for the first 8 years after vehicle sale. The feature will disable after that time.
I’ve never heard of a non-subscription feature being sunsetted like this. Does anyone know what this is all about?
That is odd as with iD7 DAP and DAP+ (hands free under 40 MPH once triggered in stop/go traffic) is not a subscription. That said I just checked connected drive subscriptions on the wife's LCI 40i and to my surprise highway assist is listed. Which at least with its in-service date of this August tracks to the 8 years. Honestly, even if it dies the car will still have DAP/DAP+ so no loss whatsoever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:35 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I asked the dealer about this and they said they had no idea. I figure BMW doesn’t trust their sensors after eight years or disabling for liability reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:22 AM   #4
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I asked the dealer about this and they said they had no idea. I figure BMW doesn’t trust their sensors after eight years or disabling for liability reasons.
I think Highway Assist is an absolute gimmick. It's really just a version of driver assist where you now don't have to touch the wheel. Otherwise it's the same exact thing as driver assist. It's no big deal to have a relaxed hand lightly touching the bottom of the wheel as you drive. So after 8 years, no big loss I say.

99% of the highways where I live don't even support HA yet. The very short one that does, I actually wouldn't trust driving completely hands free on.

Rob
Appreciate 2
eluded3044.50
cobramite1227.50
      12-11-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flummox View Post
BMW made it clear from the beginning this feature was time dependent and they have the right to turn it off or remove it at anytime.

Thats why the car has to authenticate with BMW servers to enable the feature to begin with. It periodically does this too.

The system is also dependent on a special version of the map data.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I think Highway Assist is an absolute gimmick. It's really just a version of driver assist where you now don't have to touch the wheel. Otherwise it's the same exact thing as driver assist. It's no big deal to have a relaxed hand lightly touching the bottom of the wheel as you drive. So after 8 years, no big loss I say.

99% of the highways where I live don't even support HA yet. The very short one that does, I actually wouldn't trust driving completely hands free on.

Rob
Yep, that makes two of us. If my desk top computer can lock up and take a crap then so can this whiz bang driving stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:05 PM   #7
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Shocking... yet another reason to get a pre-LCI
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 06:41 PM   #8
lackland
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 2024

I asked my dealer about this expiration date. The rep said some of the necessary software or data is from a third party. BMW cut a deal for eight years. He speculated that by then there may be better data or whatever from a different provider, or a better deal for BMW, or the provider may have expired along with its data, this being an early phase in the evolutions of autonomous software.

Seems logical. The autonomous features apparently require very precise mapping and updating of eligible highways. Unless BMW directly commits itself to running mapping cars and collating government data in perpetuity, there has to be a time limit.
Appreciate 0