BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2023, 06:45 AM   #1
Ccfcforever1987
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo V60

Post Potential new X5 purchase

Hi

I am looking at (potentially) changing my current Volvo V60 for an X5 30d and hoped someone could answer a couple of questions for me. I have tried researching online for the answers but, and it may be me, I cannot find what I am looking for. I have never owned a BMW before and know next to nothing about them.

Could you tell me what the height is from the ground to the boot floor with the bottom boot lip down?

I would look at adding air suspension. Is it worth it over the standard adaptive? Subjective I know but just looking for opinions and experiences.

Could you tell me what the height is from the ground to the boot floor with the bottom boot lip down when the air suspension is at the lowest setting?

Finally, is there anywhere online I can get a full spec sheet for a UK model? Again, I have looked online and I can't find one. The online configurators online have the briefest of 'highlights' and not a full list.

Thank you in advance.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 10:44 AM   #2
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Hi

If nobody has posted the boot floor heights tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 12:16 PM   #3
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

I measured it a couple of time for you. The height was not exact each time. I would say the open boot floor in the middle of the gate is 30 inches off the ground with the air suspension at its lowest setting. BMW says there is 80 mm (3 inches) of height difference between the highest and the lowest air suspension settings. Height is roughly 33 inches at the highest setting.

I have no idea if the height of the boot floor would be the same with the different suspensions available.

As for the air suspension itself, I was coming from 15 years of driving the 5 series so at first I found the air suspension a little floaty. Now I am quite happy with the air suspension.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 01:42 AM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Air Suspension does not have the sports car feel in corners but that aside, love it, did not buy a heavy SUV to bomb mountain roads.

The BMW configurator has some dimensions but probably not the ones you are looking for.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 03:20 AM   #5
Ccfcforever1987
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo V60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I measured it a couple of time for you. The height was not exact each time. I would say the open boot floor in the middle of the gate is 30 inches off the ground with the air suspension at its lowest setting. BMW says there is 80 mm (3 inches) of height difference between the highest and the lowest air suspension settings. Height is roughly 33 inches at the highest setting.

I have no idea if the height of the boot floor would be the same with the different suspensions available.

As for the air suspension itself, I was coming from 15 years of driving the 5 series so at first I found the air suspension a little floaty. Now I am quite happy with the air suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Air Suspension does not have the sports car feel in corners but that aside, love it, did not buy a heavy SUV to bomb mountain roads.

The BMW configurator has some dimensions but probably not the ones you are looking for.
Thank you CGG and eluded.

I haven't driven an X5 demonstrator yet and I am not expecting a sporty drive.

We test drove an M340i xdrive a few weeks back and that was a very nice car. Plenty quick enough and very comfrtable in comfort mode but just not big enough inside for us.

I am of the age where comfort is beginning to be more important to me than how flat something is through the corners and how fast I can take those corners.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 07:33 AM   #6
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Ccfcforever1987 FWIW, I've had my X5 M60i for 4 months and 5700 miles. It has standard suspension and 22" wheels with performance tires. I consider it to be very comfy both on the highway and around my local area. If anything I would consider 2-axle air suspension but it's not that big of a deal in my opinion. I too am comfort oriented as opposed to sport. I drive my X5 on road trips and around town as do most of us.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day

Last edited by LDT; 12-13-2023 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 1