BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2024, 07:54 AM   #45
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotvee View Post
X5 is not a proper vehicle for towing or even for mounting a bike rack.
Agreed on the towing but there's no reason you can't use a bike rack on the X5. I actually find it ideal because I can fold the rack up when not in use and still open the top part of the hatch.

Quote:
Sooner or later you will scratch your rear door with either a bike or a rack, which you will regret. Not to mention carrying a bike inside.
That seems like an odd concern. I can't say that I've scratched my car with a bike, nor would I lose any sleep if I did.

Quote:
Better buy a truck for such tasks.
I have one of those and it isn't nearly as convenient for carrying my bikes.
E91toG05342.50
      03-01-2024, 09:28 AM   #46
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Ideally, with unlimited resources, i will have a 30 cars, and a 30 car garage too. Each car has its specific purpose. Hmm why not a couple drivers too. Heck, why stop at car, add jet and space shuttle. Hmm … need to start printing money at home.
Mattl0806987.50
      04-20-2024, 05:45 PM   #47
kcpdmp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2025 X5 xDrive50e

Climate Package Yes
Exec Package No
Trailer Hitch Yes

M Sport Package yes, but you might need to change the color from Blue Ridge Mountain. I was trying to build online and when I picked the Blue Ridge Mountain extcolor it would not let me select the M Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:19 PM   #48
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
The only issue with tow hitch in G05 is it removes kick opener for tailgate. I use this feature a lot and from my point of view, X5 is not a proper vehicle for towing or even for mounting a bike rack. Sooner or later you will scratch your rear door with either a bike or a rack, which you will regret. Not to mention carrying a bike inside. Better buy a truck for such tasks.
Totally disagree on the X5 not being a proper vehicle for towing. It tows great. 7,500 pounds if I’m not mistaken. There’s a whole towing thread. Go check it out.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1728373
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 12:03 PM   #49
hotvee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintexas View Post
Totally disagree on the X5 not being a proper vehicle for towing. It tows great. 7,500 pounds if I’m not mistaken. There’s a whole towing thread. Go check it out.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1728373
From my point of view this is not a proper vehicle for towing because there are indisputable facts. You're limited to 7,200 fully loaded and 550 of tongue weight, which is significantly less than a pickup truck. X5 is not a body-on-frame vehicle with a hitch attached to it and a robust rear suspension capable of withstanding high loads. You also would need an engine with a lot of low torque, preferably a diesel. It also lacks other features such as integrated brake control. Therefore, in my understanding, towing with an X5 is the same as walking through mud in white sneakers. That is, you can do it, but why and should you? This is a luxury performance SUV for better on-road experience, and it wasn’t primarily designed for towing.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      04-21-2024, 03:39 PM   #50
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
From my point of view this is not a proper vehicle for towing because there are indisputable facts. You're limited to 7,200 fully loaded and 550 of tongue weight, which is significantly less than a pickup truck. X5 is not a body-on-frame vehicle with a hitch attached to it and a robust rear suspension capable of withstanding high loads. You also would need an engine with a lot of low torque, preferably a diesel. It also lacks other features such as integrated brake control. Therefore, in my understanding, towing with an X5 is the same as walking through mud in white sneakers. That is, you can do it, but why and should you? This is a luxury performance SUV for better on-road experience, and it wasn’t primarily designed for towing.
Well depends on what you want to tow. I have towed for many years with our X5’s and it does a fantastic job. It suits what I need and I am towing in comfort and safely. Obviously if you are towing heavy duty that is outside the vehicle specs get a truck. From a safety perspective the trailer stabilisation is excellent as well. I had a blowout on the trailer and it did a fantastic job of slowing and adjusting for the sway. Each to their own and your opinions are also valid.
This is what I am towing and it works great - don’t have photos of the G05 45e or M60 towing it but are even better. I can cruise at 80 very comfortably with this setup.
Attached Images

2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 1
djohn18.00
      04-22-2024, 09:33 AM   #51
djohn
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Your understanding is wrong. Unibody has come a long way in the past 20 or 30 years (people used to say this when I had a Grand Cherokee, because it's also a unibody, but they said it much less often). Lacking a brake control: that's why you install one! Torque: even the I6 makes 332 ft-lb. Suspension: get the dual-axle air. Diesels are dead - you can't even find someone to work on them. Really sounds like you just don't tow.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:56 PM   #52
BruinMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i Unicorn

Quote:
Really not sure why you would post misleading information about the X5 not being a good fit to tow.