BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-23-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
BimmerM33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 84 Corvette, G37 Coupe, X5 45e

Turning off lane assistance?

2023 45e

Quick question: how do I turn off/on the lane assistance feature.

I like it on highways, but around town it's annoying!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just in case no one answers in a timely manner...there's an owners manual built into iDrive that is very easy to use. And there may even be an embedded video for Lane Assist.

Unfortunately I have an older version...so I'm not familiar with the instructions for the G05.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
BimmerM33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 84 Corvette, G37 Coupe, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just in case no one answers in a timely manner...there's an owners manual built into iDrive that is very easy to use. And there may even be an embedded video for Lane Assist.

Unfortunately I have an older version...so I'm not familiar with the instructions for the G05.

Found it, thanks! For others, get to it by pressing intelligent safety button (next to emergency flasher button center dash). and then configure individual. Easy. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #4
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Should be an option if you hit the "safety button" (car with green/orange circle lit up) next to the Hazards, go into "Individual" and you can turn off Lane Departure Warning there.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Heck...if I had known that it wasn't any different than the f series...I would have said something. LOL I thought for sure BMW probably buried it somewhere in iDrive like they did some other stuff.

Glad you found it.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

I had mine turned off and somehow it came on while I was driving. Maybe I hit the button accidentally.
Now I know and keep that button on red!
Don’t like it all.
Guess I’m lazy about staying in my lane and kept getting jerked back in.
May try it on I-75 next month on a drive to the mountains.
I’m old school and prefer doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithwand View Post
...Don’t like it all. Guess I’m lazy about staying in my lane and kept getting jerked back
Ditto...Lane Departure is one of the intelligent safety features that I don't care to have permanetly ON. I don't have any problems staying in my lane 99% of the time.

The only time I activate Lane Departure is if I'm traveling at night (especially on two-lane roads/highways) and there's very little traffic and no lights. If I feel the steering wheel vibrate...it triggers an internal warning that I may be getting tired/sleepy and that I need to stop and take a break or let another passenger take over.

Appreciate 1
Shllshck217.00
      08-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #8
popper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 45e 2021

Question:

I also do not care for this feature, and have always wondered if this feature causes premature tire wear when activated by my wondering ways?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Question:

I also do not care for this feature, and have always wondered if this feature causes premature tire wear when activated by my wondering ways?
highly doubtful
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #10
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

FYI, this can turn back on sometime automatically (eg: if you disable the systems to go through a car wash, when you re-enable them they will be back to default settings, and you need to go through and configure/disable them again). Not a big deal, but can certainly be annoying if you forgot, and you find your car fighting you unexpectedly the next time there's a badly painted line in the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 01:01 PM   #11
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
One of those features that I cannot fathom why you'd want to turn off.

If you stay in your lane 99-100% of the time, then you'll never see it, same as it being off, but for that off one chance where it'd be useful, you have it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:22 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

If you stay in your lane 99-100% of the time, then you'll never see it, same as it being off, but for that off one chance where it'd be useful, you have it.
Its not the "staying in the lane" part...its when you're weaving in & out of traffic...making your way to the "head of the pack"...or getting away from the loonys that are all huddled together...and that darn steering wheel is vibrating as you're changing lanes & activating your turn signal (or not using your turn signal ) ...URRRGGGHHH!.

Plus...on my 6WA cluster...those two yellow lines are dead top center in the dash...which is really annoying.

I just don't find it necessary as always being on...unless I'm driving at night on dark roads for long distances.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #13
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithwand View Post
I had mine turned off and somehow it came on while I was driving. Maybe I hit the button accidentally.
Now I know and keep that button on red!
Don’t like it all.
Guess I’m lazy about staying in my lane and kept getting jerked back in.
May try it on I-75 next month on a drive to the mountains.
I’m old school and prefer doing it myself.
Same thing happened to me. I had it turned off and the profile saved. Then one day, it was back on, despite the settings all being "off".

I set them back to on, then back again to off and they've stayed off since.
      08-29-2022, 09:44 AM   #14
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I feel like this really comes down to the difference between three general types of people:
- Those who have experienced the "false positive" interventions, when the vehicle gets confused and tries to swerve out of the lane and into another vehicle or a barrier
- Those who can comprehend and appreciate that the above does happen, even if it hasn't happened to them personally, and can imagine how infuriating and scary those events are, and how any conceptual benefits from the "when it might be useful" scenario is completely obliterated by the constant worry that the system might create a dangerous situation you need to immediately react to in order to mitigate at any time
- Those who cannot accept that there is any other reality other than their anecdotal world view, and tend to live within their own ideological bubble, where no other information can penetrate

In the first two cases, the "why you might turn off" is intuitively obvious; you may or may not personally choose to do so, but it's obvious why you might. In the last case, you're likely to think that anyone who turns the system off is an idiot, and no amount of other information is going to sway that opinion.

And fwiw, this is not a phenomenon which is at all specific to this topic area, of course; I have the exact same types of discussions with people in political ideological bubbles also. It's more just about the type of thought process that people have, rather than a lack of information related to a topic. If you can't fathom why people might turn this feature off after reading info on this forum, you're probably just not going to be able to fathom it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #15
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Its not the "staying in the lane" part...its when you're weaving in & out of traffic...making your way to the "head of the pack"...or getting away from the loonys that are all huddled together...and that darn steering wheel is vibrating as you're changing lanes & activating your turn signal (or not using your turn signal ) ...URRRGGGHHH!.

Plus...on my 6WA cluster...those two yellow lines are dead top center in the dash...which is really annoying.

I just don't find it necessary as always being on...unless I'm driving at night on dark roads for long distances.
I have never once experienced the system trying to take over as I'm changing lanes as long as I'm activating my turn signal, maybe you're just activating it a bit too late? You also posted a bit of an older version of the system, the system used as of iDrive 6 works much better than the old ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
I feel like this really comes down to the difference between three general types of people:
- Those who have experienced the "false positive" interventions, when the vehicle gets confused and tries to swerve out of the lane and into another vehicle or a barrier
- Those who can comprehend and appreciate that the above does happen, even if it hasn't happened to them personally, and can imagine how infuriating and scary those events are, and how any conceptual benefits from the "when it might be useful" scenario is completely obliterated by the constant worry that the system might create a dangerous situation you need to immediately react to in order to mitigate at any time
- Those who cannot accept that there is any other reality other than their anecdotal world view, and tend to live within their own ideological bubble, where no other information can penetrate

In the first two cases, the "why you might turn off" is intuitively obvious; you may or may not personally choose to do so, but it's obvious why you might. In the last case, you're likely to think that anyone who turns the system off is an idiot, and no amount of other information is going to sway that opinion.

And fwiw, this is not a phenomenon which is at all specific to this topic area, of course; I have the exact same types of discussions with people in political ideological bubbles also. It's more just about the type of thought process that people have, rather than a lack of information related to a topic. If you can't fathom why people might turn this feature off after reading info on this forum, you're probably just not going to be able to fathom it.
I understand why people "might" turn it off, but I would, personally, rather look at why it's "phantom activating" rather than completely turning it off. If it's truly a problem with the system and I have no way of noticing or altering my habits to minimize or eliminate the phantom activations, then, sure, I understand. But, like I mentioned before, on a newer system (iDrive 6+) I have never experienced anything that was the result of something out of my control not dealing with the system itself (i.e. not counting construction or anything to limit the car's ability to detect the lines properly).

One thing I don't think was mentioned was you can turn off the steering intervention while keeping the actual warning on, as a precaution.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
1- Those who have experienced the "false positive" interventions, when the vehicle gets confused and tries to swerve out of the lane and into another vehicle or a barrier
2- Those who can comprehend and appreciate that the above does happen, even if it hasn't happened to them personally, and can imagine how infuriating and scary those events are, and how any conceptual benefits from the "when it might be useful" scenario is completely obliterated by the constant worry that the system might create a dangerous situation you need to immediately react to in order to mitigate at any time
3- Those who cannot accept that there is any other reality other than their anecdotal world view, and tend to live within their own ideological bubble, where no other information can penetrate

I just took my first longer distance trip with my X5, (well only 300+ miles but its the longest one so far). I turned on all the safety and semi autonomous systems as I wanted to get a feel for them and I have them all. I would consider myself to be somewhere between your #1 and #2, so call me a 1.5 at this point. I was prepared for whatever might happen and did indeed "test" the boundaries of the various systems...well, except for leaving my hands off the steering wheel once the instrument cluster icon of the steering wheel turned red where its trying to tell you to put your hands on the wheel...at that point I did grip the wheel as I couldn't remember from reading the manual whether it would simply turn that feature off or slam on the brakes, I didn't want the latter.

The lane keeping assist was a bit squirrelly in that it would try to pull me towards the center of the lane when I was not close to the left or right road lines. I looked for a setting, you know like how you can set the steering wheel vibration from low, medium and high and can change the sensitivity of its blind spot detection but could not find one for the sensitivity of the lane keeping assist. It did this behavior a number of times to the point where I really wanted to turn it off. This feature in my wife's GTi seems to work better.
On the way home, I wanted my wife to drive and I didn't say anything to her about how I thought the features worked, we just changed seats and off we went. It didn't take long before she started complaining about the lane keeping assist, same complaint I had.

Where I vary from your #2 is that I will use it again, I now have more experience with it and know what to expect and would like to see if works ok when the road markings are clear vs those that are worn away in areas, which is often the case. I believe in robots but don't trust them so will use them with caution and be sure I only use them to "assist" instead of control, which is what I believe is their intent. I fear having #3 people on the road near me.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 12:12 PM   #17
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have never once experienced the system trying to take over as I'm changing lanes as long as I'm activating my turn signal, maybe you're just activating it a bit too late? You also posted a bit of an older version of the system, the system used as of iDrive 6 works much better than the old ones.

I understand why people "might" turn it off, but I would, personally, rather look at why it's "phantom activating" rather than completely turning it off. If it's truly a problem with the system and I have no way of noticing or altering my habits to minimize or eliminate the phantom activations, then, sure, I understand. But, like I mentioned before, on a newer system (iDrive 6+) I have never experienced anything that was the result of something out of my control not dealing with the system itself (i.e. not counting construction or anything to limit the car's ability to detect the lines properly).

One thing I don't think was mentioned was you can turn off the steering intervention while keeping the actual warning on, as a precaution.
FWIW, I have my X5 configured as you note (steering intervention disabled, vibration warning enabled).

I also very much wish the system was programmed well enough that I could enable the steering intervention also; in theory, I'd love to have it be a net benefit, and be able to rely on it to not "do the wrong thing" (ie: only steer the car when it was "sure" about the lane, etc.). That's simply not currently the case with the current version of the software (for me, iDrive7, the 07/2021 build). I hope BMW can/will make the software better in the future, but at this point, it's not good enough to be a net positive for me, based on my driving habits and locations.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #18
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The lane keeping assist was a bit squirrelly in that it would try to pull me towards the center of the lane when I was not close to the left or right road lines. I looked for a setting, you know like how you can set the steering wheel vibration from low, medium and high and can change the sensitivity of its blind spot detection but could not find one for the sensitivity of the lane keeping assist. It did this behavior a number of times to the point where I really wanted to turn it off. This feature in my wife's GTi seems to work better.
I've noted before that, in a similar experience, the lane keeping on my previous 2017 Acura MDX was much better: way less ping-ponging, activate without needing cruise control also, no false positive interventions in my experience, etc. That inclines me to conclude that it's certainly possible to build/have better software, and BMW just didn't do a good job here. However, it should just be software, so if they devote engineering resources to it, I'd imagine they could certainly produce a version which was at least as good as the one Acura made 5+ years ago. I'm hoping they release an update which vastly improves this feature (ideally, to even better than my Acura, for example), although I'm not holding my breath.

FWIW, iirc, there is a setting for early/medium/late lane departure warning, although I personally didn't find setting it to "late" helped much with the ping-ponging (as I hoped it would). I think the software is just fundamentally poor.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 01:01 PM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I've noted before that, in a similar experience, the lane keeping on my previous 2017 Acura MDX was much better: way less ping-ponging, activate without needing cruise control also, no false positive interventions in my experience, etc. That inclines me to conclude that it's certainly possible to build/have better software, and BMW just didn't do a good job here. However, it should just be software, so if they devote engineering resources to it, I'd imagine they could certainly produce a version which was at least as good as the one Acura made 5+ years ago. I'm hoping they release an update which vastly improves this feature (ideally, to even better than my Acura, for example), although I'm not holding my breath.

FWIW, iirc, there is a setting for early/medium/late lane departure warning, although I personally didn't find setting it to "late" helped much with the ping-ponging (as I hoped it would). I think the software is just fundamentally poor.
The setting I was looking for wasn't how early/medium/late the departure warning triggered, it was to change the aggressiveness at which the lane departure pulled the car back to what it thought was the proper place in the lane. I mean its not bad at all, just not as I would personally expect or want it to be and when I was at the point of wanting to turn it off it was due to being frustrated with it not meeting my expectations for what I had to pay for it. Would I order it again, you bet. These things are always getting better and better and since we are able to just download all that better-ness, I'd get it again.

You mentioned you were on the 07/2021 build, right? I recall a thread where someone was complaining about ping-ponging and when they updated their software, that issue went away and they were happy. I don't recall what software level they were on or updated to but I'm on 3/2022.52 and from reading your posts, I'd venture to say mine is a heck of a lot better than yours. I know that along with the good can sometimes come the bad but go get your update, you might then have a better ownership experience and with what we pay for these cars, you deserve the best you can get
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #20
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FWIW, I have my X5 configured as you note (steering intervention disabled, vibration warning enabled).

I also very much wish the system was programmed well enough that I could enable the steering intervention also; in theory, I'd love to have it be a net benefit, and be able to rely on it to not "do the wrong thing" (ie: only steer the car when it was "sure" about the lane, etc.). That's simply not currently the case with the current version of the software (for me, iDrive7, the 07/2021 build). I hope BMW can/will make the software better in the future, but at this point, it's not good enough to be a net positive for me, based on my driving habits and locations.
Granted this is just my anecdotal experience, but on the '22 G30 I traded in for this '23 G05 M50i, I noticed it not having great consistency with ping-ponging *until* I got a 03/2022 variant software update, which improved it immensely to the point of it basically not existing. I'm experiencing similar performance on my '23 with the newest 07/2022 firmware on the system. Maybe try reaching out to the dealer and seeing if you can have it loaded on, it may improve the performance.
Appreciate 2
sigmabody185.00
nZtiZia4652.00
      08-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #21
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Granted this is just my anecdotal experience, but on the '22 G30 I traded in for this '23 G05 M50i, I noticed it not having great consistency with ping-ponging *until* I got a 03/2022 variant software update, which improved it immensely to the point of it basically not existing. I'm experiencing similar performance on my '23 with the newest 07/2022 firmware on the system. Maybe try reaching out to the dealer and seeing if you can have it loaded on, it may improve the performance.
This is a good point; I just got service and they didn't update the software, though, and it's not available to me via the app, so perhaps it's not available for my vehicle yet for some reason. I can reach out, though, and as previously noted, I keep trying again with every version, and hoping it gets better to the point where I want to use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 01:47 PM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The setting I was looking for wasn't how early/medium/late the departure warning triggered, it was to change the aggressiveness at which the lane departure pulled the car back to what it thought was the proper place in the lane. I mean its not bad at all, just not as I would personally expect or want it to be and when I was at the point of wanting to turn it off it was due to being frustrated with it not meeting my expectations for what I had to pay for it. Would I order it again, you bet. These things are always getting better and better and since we are able to just download all that better-ness, I'd get it again.)
That is the setting Marty, if you set it to Early it is much less aggressive in the steering intervention since it occurs earlier. With it set to late it makes the correction later and more aggressively.