BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2022, 01:52 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Granted this is just my anecdotal experience, but on the '22 G30 I traded in for this '23 G05 M50i, I noticed it not having great consistency with ping-ponging *until* I got a 03/2022 variant software update, which improved it immensely to the point of it basically not existing. I'm experiencing similar performance on my '23 with the newest 07/2022 firmware on the system. Maybe try reaching out to the dealer and seeing if you can have it loaded on, it may improve the performance.
Just so new folks aren't confused, we should note which systems we are talking about. Ping-ponging is expected when using the lane keeping assist (lane departure with steering intervention). That is not designed to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane it is designed to keep it from going out of the lane.

Cruise Mode 2 (Cruise with steering/lane control/Assisted Driving) is the feature that keeps the vehicle centered in the lane.
biterror515.50
vjmvjm15.00
      08-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
well, except for leaving my hands off the steering wheel once the instrument cluster icon of the steering wheel turned red where its trying to tell you to put your hands on the wheel...at that point I did grip the wheel as I couldn't remember from reading the manual whether it would simply turn that feature off or slam on the brakes, I didn't want the latter.
In my testing on my G30 on an empty highway with lots of visibility and in the middle lane to give myself time to respond. I held my hands above the wheel ready to intervene and let the system go fully into its processes for if you failed to do it so I could see what would happen.

On my G30 w/ SP15A it will first go red, then start beeping, then pump the brakes a couple of times with a small gap between of maybe a second or two, and finally it will disengage and fallback to lane keeping assistant.

I believe on the SP18 cars, like the X5, it will try to pull you onto the shoulder automatically and stop the car. But I haven’t tested a SP18 car to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is the setting Marty, if you set it to Early it is much less aggressive in the steering intervention since it occurs earlier. With it set to late it makes the correction later and more aggressively.
Ok, that would explain why I could not find a separate setting for how aggressively it pulls back into the lane. I believe I do in fact have it on early detection. I will doublecheck.

In terms of Cruise Mode 2 ((Cruise with steering/lane control/Assisted Driving) is the feature that keeps the vehicle centered in the lane)....that seems to work very very well on my car with 3/2022.52 with little to no ping ponging.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, that would explain why I could not find a separate setting for how aggressively it pulls back into the lane. I believe I do in fact have it on early detection. I will doublecheck.

In terms of Cruise Mode 2 ((Cruise with steering/lane control/Assisted Driving) is the feature that keeps the vehicle centered in the lane)....that seems to work very very well on my car with 3/2022.52 with little to no ping ponging.
Yes, works very well. I have used it for over 50k miles and can't ever recall having it ping pong that I would consider not warranted. I think a lot of it has to do with whether or not people understand how the system works in regards to various conditions such as light, lane markings, etc. There are also individual expectations that needs to be taken into account. These are driving assistance systems but many seem to think they are autonomous driving systems.
      08-29-2022, 02:27 PM   #27
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

FWIW, in my experience:

Lane departure with steering assistance, when active, would aggressively steer the vehicle when "close" to the lane marker, and/or when the system got confused. Usually this was not noticeable, as desired; exceptions were when exiting freeways and drifting over painted lines to smooth the exit line (when the system could jerk the car back into the "lane", since the exit was not a smooth curve), and when a lane you're in splits into two (eg: when a turn lane split the current lane, and the system would sometimes jerk the vehicle to one side).

For cruise control with lane assist, there is much more ping-ponging, as the vehicle makes regular "corrections" toward the center of the lane, and almost always overshoots (and corrects the other way, and repeats), rather than "aiming" for a spot further down the road as a normal driver would do. This is probably okay for some drivers (ie: I've been in vehicles with people who drive like this anyway); for me, it's very distracting and off-putting (I'm used to driving more smoothly and with less small swerves). It also can disengage unexpectedly if the light level changes dramatically (eg: going under a bridge), and can get confused by temporary barriers next to the roadway, and/or unclear lane markings.

Hopefully that helps clarify my personal experience with the systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #28
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Lane Keep Assist is separated from Steering Intervention. I think it's the latter that bothers some me included. Keeping LKA on only should not turn on SI but sometimes it does. You could reset the iDrive and it most likely will fix it. For those folks that noticed some features turning back on/off even after setting the other way, did you use different key fob? When you make changes, they will be assigned to the key fob you have at time. If you grab the other key fob, you won't see those changes that you made. It happened to me before and I b***ching about the system not working but it turned out it was me. I have one fob attached with office keys that I use on weekday and one without anything that I would use on weekends. That was what happened to me.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 03:00 PM   #29
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
FWIW, in my experience:

Lane departure with steering assistance, when active, would aggressively steer the vehicle when "close" to the lane marker, and/or when the system got confused. Usually this was not noticeable, as desired; exceptions were when exiting freeways and drifting over painted lines to smooth the exit line (when the system could jerk the car back into the "lane", since the exit was not a smooth curve), and when a lane you're in splits into two (eg: when a turn lane split the current lane, and the system would sometimes jerk the vehicle to one side).

For cruise control with lane assist, there is much more ping-ponging, as the vehicle makes regular "corrections" toward the center of the lane, and almost always overshoots (and corrects the other way, and repeats), rather than "aiming" for a spot further down the road as a normal driver would do. This is probably okay for some drivers (ie: I've been in vehicles with people who drive like this anyway); for me, it's very distracting and off-putting (I'm used to driving more smoothly and with less small swerves). It also can disengage unexpectedly if the light level changes dramatically (eg: going under a bridge), and can get confused by temporary barriers next to the roadway, and/or unclear lane markings.

Hopefully that helps clarify my personal experience with the systems.
You really need to go get your software updated as the ping ponging is one of the issues they worked on. If the OTA update isn't showing up for you, tell your service dept that your ping ponging nearly did you in and you understand it has been corrected in later versions. Do it, do it now and do it in a happy way
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #30
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Lane Keep Assist is separated from Steering Intervention. I think it's the latter that bothers some me included. Keeping LKA on only should not turn on SI but sometimes it does. You could reset the iDrive and it most likely will fix it. For those folks that noticed some features turning back on/off even after setting the other way, did you use different key fob? When you make changes, they will be assigned to the key fob you have at time. If you grab the other key fob, you won't see those changes that you made. It happened to me before and I b***ching about the system not working but it turned out it was me. I have one fob attached with office keys that I use on weekday and one without anything that I would use on weekends. That was what happened to me.
V e r y interesting. Such little nuances that the "normal" man wouldn't think of! Thanks for sharing that!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Lane Keep Assist is separated from Steering Intervention. I think it's the latter that bothers some me included. Keeping LKA on only should not turn on SI but sometimes it does.
I think what you mean to say is Lane Departure Warning is separate from Lane Keeping Assist/Steering Intervention. BMW calls their Lane Keeping Assist - Steering Intervention.
Attached Images

08-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #32
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithwand View Post
I had mine turned off and somehow it came on while I was driving. Maybe I hit the button accidentally.
Now I know and keep that button on red!
Don’t like it all.
Guess I’m lazy about staying in my lane and kept getting jerked back in.
May try it on I-75 next month on a drive to the mountains.
I’m old school and prefer doing it myself.
Um, if you are lazy about staying in your lane and are constantly getting jerked back into your lane, maybe you need to keep the thing ON!
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #33
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
I feel like this really comes down to the difference between three general types of people:
- Those who have experienced the "false positive" interventions, when the vehicle gets confused and tries to swerve out of the lane and into another vehicle or a barrier
- Those who can comprehend and appreciate that the above does happen, even if it hasn't happened to them personally, and can imagine how infuriating and scary those events are, and how any conceptual benefits from the "when it might be useful" scenario is completely obliterated by the constant worry that the system might create a dangerous situation you need to immediately react to in order to mitigate at any time
- Those who cannot accept that there is any other reality other than their anecdotal world view, and tend to live within their own ideological bubble, where no other information can penetrate

In the first two cases, the "why you might turn off" is intuitively obvious; you may or may not personally choose to do so, but it's obvious why you might. In the last case, you're likely to think that anyone who turns the system off is an idiot, and no amount of other information is going to sway that opinion.

And fwiw, this is not a phenomenon which is at all specific to this topic area, of course; I have the exact same types of discussions with people in political ideological bubbles also. It's more just about the type of thought process that people have, rather than a lack of information related to a topic. If you can't fathom why people might turn this feature off after reading info on this forum, you're probably just not going to be able to fathom it.
Not in my car at the moment, but as I recall you can adjust the "strength" with which it tugs you back into the lane. If you have it set to "light" you only get a very mild reminder. No matter how I have it set, it never prevents me from overcoming the robot and doing what I want to do. For me, there is little to no downside to having the thing on as a reminder

It is also a helpful nudge re: using the turn signal when changing labes
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 08:58 PM   #34
BimmerM33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 84 Corvette, G37 Coupe, X5 45e

Quote:
Yes, this. And also the real word difference of around town driving and highway driving. On highways, appreciate both lane departure and steering intervention. And I prefer the settings for each at med-low in intensity.

Around town the lanes are narrow, and while I keep lane departure on (lowest intensity), I find any steering intervention totally annoying, so I turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #35
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
V e r y interesting. Such little nuances that the "normal" man wouldn't think of! Thanks for sharing that!
I discovered this through trial and error. My wife keeps a fob in her purse but never drives the car so hasn't set up a profile. If she gets in the car first, the iDrive display is different and some of my defaults aren't activated. I have to manually change the driver profile.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #36
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Um, if you are lazy about staying in your lane and are constantly getting jerked back into your lane, maybe you need to keep the thing ON!
I’m not that bad! I exaggerated a bit.
I’m actually a good driver with speeding tickets back in 1982!
Also lucky lol.
Got sideswiped by a turning semi in 2012 and that’s it.
Put a lot of miles on when I was a traveling sales rep.
Just don’t like the lane thing. My GF however loves it in her Audi A6

Last edited by Keithwand; 09-13-2022 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      02-27-2024, 11:39 PM   #37
woodmanx5
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

x5 lane departure with steering intervention

I know this topic has been slow for a while, but I had an unusual experience driving tonight. My car is an X5 50e with the latest firmware/software (11/2023.58). My settings as it relates to lane departure warning were "early" with steering intervention "on". I was not using any assisted driving modes (ie no cruise control of any sort). Driving at highway speeds, a lane entered the highway from the LEFT. The lane markings for that lane ended early. What I think happened is that my car detected the end of my lane marking and picked up the solid white line lane marking the entering lane and because of steering intervention it pulled my car quite dramatically to the left to keep me in the lane and then pulled me back quickly to the right as the left entering lane was rapidly merged into my original lane. I was fortunate that my hands were on the steering wheel and I tried my best to resist the cars decision, but the steering intervention can be quite forceful. I had 3 passengers in the car who were questioning my driving ability. Anyway, I have turned off the steering intervention now and may try that same route again to see if it repeats and/or generates a warning. It is a shame because I generally think the steering intervention could be life saving but this type of "false positive" as another posted mentioned earlier is a problem. If any of you see any other explanation for this, I would be happy to hear it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 06:05 PM   #38
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
One of those features that I cannot fathom why you'd want to turn off.

If you stay in your lane 99-100% of the time, then you'll never see it, same as it being off, but for that off one chance where it'd be useful, you have it.
Fathom this:

You are passing bikers in your lane by crossing the centerline and the lane assistance with steering intervention "feature" jerks your car back towards the bikers. I have had this happen several times. Yes, I could have signaled to avoid this but that is not my normal behavior in that situation.

I turned it off. I have also had several other false positives where it intervened because it got confused by lane marking patterns.

Not ready for prime time IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:17 PM   #39
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscharf View Post
Fathom this:

You are passing bikers in your lane by crossing the centerline and the lane assistance with steering intervention "feature" jerks your car back towards the bikers. I have had this happen several times. Yes, I could have signaled to avoid this but that is not my normal behavior in that situation.

I turned it off. I have also had several other false positives where it intervened because it got confused by lane marking patterns.

Well you can fathom using your turn signal since that *should* be your normal behavior since that's actually what you're supposed to do.

I never have it get confused on lines as mine only interferes when it's actually going over a line, weird lines on the road don't affect it, and strangely painted ones are never an issue enough that it falses on me.
Appreciate 2
tooloud10766.50
nZtiZia4653.50
      03-01-2024, 07:57 AM   #40
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

I've experienced the issue with the lines for the merging entrance lanes, but it's easily corrected. IMO turning it off would be an example of the solution being much worse than the problem.
      03-01-2024, 09:12 AM   #41
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fathom this:

I happen to be in Florida now and see a LOT of Floridians not using their turning indicators. Sure makes it challenging to drive here and dangerous in some cases. In some countries they refer to turn indicators as curtesy indicators for the other drivers who share the road.
I use mine and the car has never tried pulling me back into the lane, the lane assist works quite well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:36 AM   #42
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I don’t like the steering intervention. I’ll use it on occasion but rarely
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 10:24 AM   #43
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

It is very common for people to not use their turn indicators when passing bikers. When the lane indicators expand to an island of double yellow area (a Y-type expansion) the system sometimes wants to follow the line towards the center right into the do not enter island. I can only tell you that this happens and it wasn't a one-off. Perhaps my system is defective or it is in a different configuration, but it causes more danger than safety. I don't have DAP and possibly that makes the intervention smarter.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 10:40 AM   #44
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
It is very common for people to not use their turn indicators when passing bikers. When the lane indicators expand to an island of double yellow area (a Y-type expansion) the system sometimes wants to follow the line towards the center right into the do not enter island. I can only tell you that this happens and it wasn't a one-off. Perhaps my system is defective or it is in a different configuration, but it causes more danger than safety. I don't have DAP and possibly that makes the intervention smarter.
It is just a comfort level and understanding of what the system does. If you don't have DAP then the vehicle is not wanting to follow anything. All it does is try to keep you from going out of your lane, it does not make any decisions, movement, steering, etc to have you follow a lane/specific path.

I would suggest making sure you have it set to Early and give it some time.