BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Suspension squeak

I noticed the noise disappears as I drive longer (and perhaps with temperature). It is more apparent when I first take off out from my driveway and then almost disappears longer drive.

Also, when the dealer lift the vehicle up, the noise disappeared that day. Next morning, fresh start, noise is back for the first few miles of driving.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:06 PM   #2
NateM50i
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
I was watching a YouTube video on installing the MSS lowering springs I have. And in it they mentioned that the rear sway bar links can be loosened over time. And need to be retorqued to get rid of the rattle.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2024 X1 28i

I've had the same issue for a year or so. It seems to come from the right front suspension area. I hear it off and on when I first drive in the morning at low speeds when it is quiet. It seems to come and go. I talked to my service advisor and he speculated that it was bushings making the noise when there is very low humidity (somehow they dry out). I'm in Arizona (low humidity normally) and I noticed that during infrequent periods of high humidity I do not hear the noise.

I also have air suspension.

Last edited by RNorb; 10-12-2022 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 2
MissVito216.50
volodp196.50
      10-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #4
wahoorad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i, 21' Volvo XC60

Problem fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
I noticed the noise disappears as I drive longer (and perhaps with temperature). It is more apparent when I first take off out from my driveway and then almost disappears longer drive.

Also, when the dealer lift the vehicle up, the noise disappeared that day. Next morning, fresh start, noise is back for the first few miles of driving.

Any thoughts?
I also experienced this same problem on my 2021 X5 equipped with air suspension. Dealer just got the car back to me and was able to replicate the issue. Its most pronounced on cold mornings but has gotten worse over the last 10,000 miles now occurring on initial start even when the weather is warm albeit resolving sooner. Either way, they ended up lubricating the bushings on the front suspension and checked everything else (thankfully no issues). That seemed to take care of the issue. I would suggest you have the dealer perform the same service, hopefully you will have similar resolved results.
Appreciate 1
MissVito216.50
      10-12-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Is it air suspension? I had exact same problem which got fixed last week by replacing two front faulty air struts.
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
Is it air suspension? I had exact same problem which got fixed last week by replacing two front faulty air struts.
Wow! what a bummer this would be if it is truly the aur suspension struck! sounds to early to me for a 2-year old vehicle with less than 40K miles!. I am still hopping this can be simple rubber or bushing thing! Why would air suspension squeak under morning/cold conditions and then disappears in warmer conditions or after driving for some time?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 05:14 PM   #7
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

I have a clanking noise from the rear right at low speeds when turning. It is 12 month old 45e so it has air suspension. It appeared last week so haven’t been to the dealer yet. I have had 2 other G05s with AS and they were both completely silent. Same or more milage, driven in same weather and conditions, so a little worried what this might be.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:09 PM   #8
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Quote:
Wow! what a bummer this would be if it is truly the aur suspension struck! sounds to early to me for a 2-year old vehicle with less than 40K miles!. I am still hopping this can be simple rubber or bushing thing! Why would air suspension squeak under morning/cold conditions and then disappears in warmer conditions or after driving for some time?
I had this problem since last year, and I delayed , delayed due to irregular occurrence.
Man, yours sounds exactly the same as mine.
Just open up the hoods and push it down/up. That's how the tech reproduced the issue after tested drive with me.
Go ahead and try it out , get it fixed since it's still under warranty.

Good luck
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
MissVito216.50
      10-19-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just wanted to report back to the group on the solution

Just came back from a dealer visit. This ended up being due to the left and right lower control arm.

Both will be replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
MissVito216.50
      02-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
wahoorad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i, 21' Volvo XC60

Replace air struts

Following up. I responded earlier that my squeaking went away after the dealer lubricated the front bushings. Turns out the sound returned quickly thereafter. The second attempt to fix the issue was to replace the left and right control arms on the suspension. This helped some but the problem persisted. More recently the dealer replaced the air struts on the front for the air suspension. Thankfully this appears to have resolved the issue. The air struts run around $4500 installed which is why I am sure they don't go for this route to begin with. However if you problem persists like in my case I would suggest pushing for this option which I believe is the permanent solution.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      10-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #11
yzhou2004
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoorad View Post
Following up. I responded earlier that my squeaking went away after the dealer lubricated the front bushings. Turns out the sound returned quickly thereafter. The second attempt to fix the issue was to replace the left and right control arms on the suspension. This helped some but the problem persisted. More recently the dealer replaced the air struts on the front for the air suspension. Thankfully this appears to have resolved the issue. The air struts run around $4500 installed which is why I am sure they don't go for this route to begin with. However if you problem persists like in my case I would suggest pushing for this option which I believe is the permanent solution.
Came from your post while I am researching noise issues. Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you able to isolate the noise coming from front immediately when it first happened? Did you notice it with window up or down? I heard some muffled clunk or squeaky noise at low speed (< 20mph), especially in the morning with window closed, likely from driver side but not 100% sure front or rear. Occasionally I felt slight steering vibration just like lane departure warning and the speed was below 40 mph then. I am still struggling how I should describe the problem more precisely to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #12
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
I've had the same issue for a year or so. It seems to come from the right front suspension area. I hear it off and on when I first drive in the morning at low speeds when it is quiet. It seems to come and go. I talked to my service advisor and he speculated that it was bushings making the noise when there is very low humidity (somehow they dry out). I'm in Arizona (low humidity normally) and I noticed that during infrequent periods of high humidity I do not hear the noise.

I also have air suspension.
Have you had your issues resolved? if so, what's the solution?
I am experiencing a similar problem now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 03:35 PM   #13
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I had this problem since last year, and I delayed , delayed due to irregular occurrence.
Man, yours sounds exactly the same as mine.
Just open up the hoods and push it down/up. That's how the tech reproduced the issue after tested drive with me.
Go ahead and try it out , get it fixed since it's still under warranty.

Good luck
I came across your post and did a test by opening the door and sway on running boards on both sides. I did not notice the irregular noises through the tests. But still experiencing muffled clunk/squeaky noises at low speeds, especially first few minutes after pulling off my driveway in the mornings. still puzzled.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:48 AM   #14
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Just add a data point in case others saw this post in the future.

Sent my car to a dealer and they heard the noise at test drives with me and replicated by opening the hood and pushing it down/up as mentioned by @2019x5User. They pushed very hard coz the car is heavy. They replaced the faulty left front air struct under warranty. The noise seems gone for now. But I will keep eyes on it.

here is my video to show the noise at low speeds uneven roads or patchy park lot. The dealer's park lot is paved with bricks. I got lucked out and have technician to pick up the noise right at their parking lot. The shortest test drive they ever had.

Appreciate 4
MissVito216.50
volodp196.50
qtx51.50
      10-24-2023, 09:30 AM   #15
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzhou2004 View Post
Came from your post while I am researching noise issues. Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you able to isolate the noise coming from front immediately when it first happened? Did you notice it with window up or down? I heard some muffled clunk or squeaky noise at low speed (< 20mph), especially in the morning with window closed, likely from driver side but not 100% sure front or rear. Occasionally I felt slight steering vibration just like lane departure warning and the speed was below 40 mph then. I am still struggling how I should describe the problem more precisely to dealer.
Could be caused by many reasons. I just had mine resloved and it ended up being I got a tire flat spot.
      10-24-2023, 10:12 AM   #16
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoorad View Post
$4500 for one for both front?? The oem bmw part is like $900 each.
      10-24-2023, 02:53 PM   #17
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
Have you had your issues resolved? if so, what's the solution?
I am experiencing a similar problem now. Thanks!
No resolution. The dealer could not hear the noise and My warranty ran out this month.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 04:49 PM   #18
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
Just add a data point in case others saw this post in the future.

Sent my car to a dealer and they heard the noise at test drives with me and replicated by opening the hood and pushing it down/up as mentioned by @2019x5User. They pushed very hard coz the car is heavy. They replaced the faulty left front air struct under warranty. The noise seems gone for now. But I will keep eyes on it.

here is my video to show the noise at low speeds uneven roads or patchy park lot. The dealer's park lot is paved with bricks. I got lucked out and have technician to pick up the noise right at their parking lot. The shortest test drive they ever had.

Wish I saw this post sooner. I had the exact thing going on with my '21 X5 w/air suspension. I took it to the dealer twice for the creaking and it was always "could not duplicate". Before I read this post, I had told them to check the front suspension so they jiggled it around from underneath while on the lift. Didn't see any problems and couldn't hear anything. I told them, "no, the mechanic should've bounced the front of the car up and down while it's fully weight bearing and listen".

I know something about cars and have worked on them. Think they would've had the common sense to do that? I should've spoke to the mechanic directly and told him. They wanted me to bring it back and leave it overnight so they could try in the morning. I'm a woman, so they think I don't know anything. The SA was not knowledgeable and, anyway, the car was just totaled 2 weeks ago. :'-( I might just reach back to them and tell them they could've googled it and found the answers. Their answers are usually the customer is doing something wrong.
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      10-24-2023, 10:55 PM   #19
electron
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I think I have the same issue. Squeak and creak, especially in the morning.
Looks like will need to make an appointment with the SC to get it looks at. That and also the creaking door trims
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 01:15 AM   #20
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
Wish I saw this post sooner. I had the exact thing going on with my '21 X5 w/air suspension. I took it to the dealer twice for the creaking and it was always "could not duplicate". Before I read this post, I had told them to check the front suspension so they jiggled it around from underneath while on the lift. Didn't see any problems and couldn't hear anything. I told them, "no, the mechanic should've bounced the front of the car up and down while it's fully weight bearing and listen".

I know something about cars and have worked on them. Think they would've had the common sense to do that? I should've spoke to the mechanic directly and told him. They wanted me to bring it back and leave it overnight so they could try in the morning. I'm a woman, so they think I don't know anything. The SA was not knowledgeable and, anyway, the car was just totaled 2 weeks ago. :'-( I might just reach back to them and tell them they could've googled it and found the answers. Their answers are usually the customer is doing something wrong.
I hear you. Don’t get me started with my experience with the nearby dealer. They can’t even install new sunroof side seals correctly. I pulled them off with one finger after their installations and reinstall them myself in 30 mins coz I don’t want to drop my car off one more time.
Appreciate 1
MissVito216.50
      10-25-2023, 01:17 AM   #21
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
[QUOTE=electron;30597226]I think I have the same issue. Squeak and creak, especially in the morning.
Looks like will need to make an appointment with the SC to get it looks at. That and also the creaking door trims

I have creaking door trims as well. Came across this video and ordered tapes and rubber conditioner. Will try to fix tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/gLs1ycPjZMw?si=bWs8rLUIInwrhJ3C

See if this video will help your problems.

I have never had creaking door trims in any of cars I drove in the past 30 years. My 15 year old 2008 Passat wagon was built like a tank and never creaked in dash, trim, rear hatch, pillars, etc as my G05 does. Never thought I would have to research so much about creaks and squeaks on a BMW.
Appreciate 1
MissVito216.50
      10-25-2023, 01:19 AM   #22
yzhou2004
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
[QUOTE="Ninja_H;30594977"]Could be caused by many reasons. I just had mine resloved and it ended up being I got a tire flat spot.

Thanks for reply. Tire balance is on my list to check steering wheel viberations. But the viberations just happens intermittently.
Appreciate 0