BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #1
majkl_czech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M and BMW X5M50i

Question independent heating X5 M50i

Hi,

due to problems with my order (I ordered my BMW X5 M50i in January and still no confirmation from the production) I am thinking of existing one. But the existing one X5 M50i doesn't have additional heating. Do you guys have any experience if it can be retrofitted?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:33 PM   #2
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

What do you mean by additional heating?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Are you talking about the heated/cooled cupholders?

Heated seats are standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #4
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Engine heater that you plug in at home?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
amc42
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Z4 (E85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkl_czech View Post
But the existing one X5 M50i doesn't have additional heating. Do you guys have any experience if it can be retrofitted?
For the previous X5 V8 there was a retrofit kit, for the current one I don't see it in the parts catalogue.

However, in Germany the typical retrofit solution is to use either Webasto or Eberspächer retrofit kits for which there are many commercial installers. I guess that's possible in your country as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #6
majkl_czech
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you. Maybe I used bad word combination. I mean heating which you can start from app or digital key (not remote start). It is used in winter times that you will have your car and motor warm
For example it is possible to install it now from BMW (original part)into my X3M40i but not possible to my BMW 540i. And the question is if it is possible to install the original to X5M50i if someone did not choose in configuration.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #7
majkl_czech
Enlisted Member
Rep

maybe independent heating is the right wording?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Does BMW offer an engine block heater in any markets? It doesn't show up as an option in the USA. That would require you to plug it in.

I wouldn't be all that comfortable using gasoline or diesel or kerosene burning to keep things warm, so that would leave electricity, but that's me.

Remote starting the engine is a possibility, but you wouldn't want to do that while it was parked inside.

Using the recommended low-viscosity oil should mean the engine should start reliably unless the battery was low, but that won't help warm the interior any quicker. That's one reason why I like the PHEV, all heating/cooling is done via electricity from the battery, so it can be done safely anywhere in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 02:54 AM   #9
amc42
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Z4 (E85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I wouldn't be all that comfortable using gasoline or diesel or kerosene burning to keep things warm, so that would leave electricity, but that's me.
Using the recommended low-viscosity oil should mean the engine should start reliably unless the battery was low, but that won't help warm the interior any quicker.
The option offered by many OEMs in Europe is something that burns fuel and is fully integrated into the car's infrastructure. The manufacturer is usually Webasto or Eberspächer.

Here's a link to the UK website, they only offer these for commercial vehicles in the US apparently:

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-uk/heating/car/

Warmth distribution is done use the car's regular infrastructure, so the car's battery is somewhat affected as well since it needs to operate the fans and a pump or two. Both engine and interior are warmed.

The modern versions are relatively fuel efficient and a good part of the fuel wasted is offset by starting with warm engine oil.

Actually many modern Diesel engines have something like this already built in to provide additional heating - they don't provide enough external heat early. So retrofitting this type of additional heating is much cheaper for Diesels as it's just some electronics for remote control and a few mechnical bits.
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2022, 06:59 AM   #10
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc42 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Using the recommended low-viscosity oil should mean the engine should start reliably unless the battery was low, but that won't help warm the interior any quicker.
The option offered by many OEMs in Europe is something that burns fuel and is fully integrated into the car's infrastructure. The manufacturer is usually Webasto or Eberspächer.

Here's a link to the UK website, they only offer these for commercial vehicles in the US apparently:

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-uk/heating/car/

Warmth distribution is done use the car's regular infrastructure, so the car's battery is somewhat affected as well since it needs to operate the fans and a pump or two. Both engine and interior are warmed.

The modern versions are relatively fuel efficient and a good part of the fuel wasted is offset by starting with warm engine oil.

Actually many modern Diesel engines have something like this already built in to provide additional heating - they don't provide enough external heat early. So retrofitting this type of additional heating is much cheaper for Diesels as it's just some electronics for remote control and a few mechnical bits.
Wow. Had no idea. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0