BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #67
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

This is awesome, thank you imdiekeb for the coding instructions. This issue was driving me crazy. Now I just need to figure out how to stop the seatbelt tug and I’ll be set.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #68
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

@imdiekieb

This is great thanks so much I know people in the g20 forums will try to apply and see if it works too.

Can you briefly explain what each of these changes do? That would help me immensely.
      02-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #69
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

I can confirm that these BimmerCode changes work on mine
gnolivos319.00
      02-09-2022, 02:40 PM   #70
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
I can confirm that these BimmerCode changes work on mine
Only thing I don't like is having to set night brightness to minimum in iDrive. Seems weird step to take. What happens if set to mid or max?
      02-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #71
paulrr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Only thing I don't like is having to set night brightness to minimum in iDrive. Seems weird step to take. What happens if set to mid or max?
I tried playing with this too, because it seemed like an odd step. This setting is only for the center control display, not the instrument cluster.

When you set it to min, you still have full dimming of the center display and instrument cluster, they can be adjusted to brighter/dimmer via the wheel on the side of the dash next to the headlight controls.

If you DONT set it to min, (I tried it both ways and left it in the middle setting where I Had it before)... the center control display seems to be a bit brighter than the instrument cluster at night.

It was a subtle difference honestly, but without it set to min, the center display seemed more "out of sync" with the instrument cluster, meaning it was brighter than the instrument cluster. Dimming with the wheel still works, but as you dim for nighttime the control display is still brighter than the IC.

When you set it to min as described, they are more in sync to me with equal brightness levels on both screens and you can still have full dimming control with the little whee. You have plenty of range from very dim to very bright which to me seems more than enough for those who like it very bright at night (it was still painfully bright at the brightest setting).

I found the sweet spot to have the wheel somewhere in the middle of the range and the control display setting to be at the minimum as described (although it's not a required step, the IC daytime brightness issue is resolved whether you do that step or not).
Appreciate 5
seoul32.00
gnolivos319.00
mobilejo1114.50
Tch-Nrd124.50
      02-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #72
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrr View Post
Quote:
I tried playing with this too, because it seemed like an odd step. This setting is only for the center control display, not the instrument cluster.

When you set it to min, you still have full dimming of the center display and instrument cluster, they can be adjusted to brighter/dimmer via the wheel on the side of the dash next to the headlight controls.

If you DONT set it to min, (I tried it both ways and left it in the middle setting where I Had it before)... the center control display seems to be a bit brighter than the instrument cluster at night.

It was a subtle difference honestly, but without it set to min, the center display seemed more "out of sync" with the instrument cluster, meaning it was brighter than the instrument cluster. Dimming with the wheel still works, but as you dim for nighttime the control display is still brighter than the IC.

When you set it to min as described, they are more in sync to me with equal brightness levels on both screens and you can still have full dimming control with the little whee. You have plenty of range from very dim to very bright which to me seems more than enough for those who like it very bright at night (it was still painfully bright at the brightest setting).

I found the sweet spot to have the wheel somewhere in the middle of the range and the control display setting to be at the minimum as described (although it's not a required step, the IC daytime brightness issue is resolved whether you do that step or not).
Wonderful explanation thanks for taking the time to write this up I truly appreciate it.
      02-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #73
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdiekeb View Post
When I tinted the front windows on my 2022 X5 (G05), I had the same problem with dim dash and control screens during the day. Using BimmerCode, I made the following code changes with very acceptable results:

Headunit - 3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN - DIM_CURVE_X2 – change values to 0x00, 0x00 (from 0x1F, 0xC0)

Instrument cluster - 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration – DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE – change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster - 3005 FuBi_Parameter – DIM_DTN – change value to 0x7F (from 0x3F)

After programming the codes above, go to Car/Settings/Displays/Control display and change the “Brightness at night” to it’s lowest value. Then use the standard I.P. scroll wheel to set a comfortable light level in darkness.

These changes have made driving my BMW much more pleasant, without having to glue a tiny light to my dash.

If any of you would like to try these settings on yours as well, then report back with the results, I would be very interested in your experience, and probably others here as well.

Hope this helps, everyone....
Wow!! Works fantastic!! I can finally see the IC in the shade or low lit areas! THanks!
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 2
gnolivos319.00
AGONXF30270.50
      02-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #74
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestnDoc View Post
Wow!! Works fantastic!! I can finally see the IC in the shade or low lit areas! THanks!
I wonder how the flat panel burn in is going to be affected. Will it leave ghost images on your dash in like a year lets wait and see I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:11 AM   #75
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mors View Post
I wonder how the flat panel burn in is going to be affected. Will it leave ghost images on your dash in like a year lets wait and see I guess.
I can't see how it would.

For cars that don't have this dimming issue (often its tinted windows that do it), their dash is naturally this bright anyway. All this coding does is stop the dash from dimming when it would normally not dim in other cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:13 AM   #76
X5-G05-45e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Are the panels LCD or OLED? If they are LCD then burn in is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #77
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-G05-45e View Post
Quote:
Are the panels LCD or OLED? If they are LCD then burn in is not an issue.
the infotainment screen (control display) is LCD. that being said, modern LCD isn't susceptible to burn-in, though i believe it isn't 100% free from image retention (likely negligible)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #78
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Personally I do like that the screens adapt to lighting conditions by dimming. I don't want it full brightness at all times of the day regardless of how sunny or cloudy it may be out there. On a cloudy stormy day the full brightness is a little too much in my opinion.

I do agree that if you have tinted window s and the sensor goes out of whack then that is a problem that needs to be addressed for those affected. I just think maybe finding a way to code it to be less sensitive would be better for those people, rather than full brightness at all conditions. Maybe tweaking the curve levels in the coding entries provided will get to a compromise level that is more suitable for tinted/affected vehicles?
      02-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #79
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i have seen how some folks' ICs get really dim in bright conditions. even with XPEL ceramic tint, my IC doesn't get that dim. it does dim in bright conditions but to a very acceptable level that doesn't require any external light source or coding, even when wearing polarized sunglasses (though I just changed to non-polarized to see the HUD better).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:33 AM   #80
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
I just think maybe finding a way to code it to be less sensitive would be better for those people, rather than full brightness at all conditions. Maybe tweaking the curve levels in the coding entries provided will get to a compromise level that is more suitable for tinted/affected vehicles?
This is what I'm looking into.

This particular bit of coding:

Instrument cluster - 3005 FuBi_Parameter – DIM_DTN – change value to 0x7F (from 0x3F)

I reverted back to 0x3F.

So far, it looks like that number byte controls the peak brightness of the instrument cluster. While the remaining coding makes it less susceptible to dimming in dark conditions. I haven't tested this extensively enough to confirm my findings, but in a few days I should be able to confirm. But I think that by leaving out this change, my IC's max brightness is the same, but its 'dimmed' brightness is brighter.

When I changed that byte to 0x7F, the IC was really really bright, even in dim conditions.
Appreciate 2
gnolivos319.00
AGONXF30270.50
      02-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #81
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
I just think maybe finding a way to code it to be less sensitive would be better for those people, rather than full brightness at all conditions. Maybe tweaking the curve levels in the coding entries provided will get to a compromise level that is more suitable for tinted/affected vehicles?

I reverted back to 0x3F.

So far, it looks like that number byte controls the peak brightness of the instrument cluster. While the remaining coding makes it less susceptible to dimming in dark conditions. I haven't tested this extensively enough to confirm my findings, but in a few days I should be able to confirm. But I think that by leaving out this change, my IC's max brightness is the same, but its 'dimmed' brightness is brighter.

When I changed that byte to 0x7F, the IC was really really bright, even in dim conditions.
I performed the same just now as you did. Omitted that one entry. Will test and report back!
      02-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #82
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

DIM_DTN is the Day to Night time threshold value. Whatever that means!
mobilejo1114.50
      02-10-2022, 07:54 PM   #83
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I reverted back to 0x3F.

I did some testing tonight in my garage. The brightness of the IC is controlled by this step, with the numerical input determining the brightness. I tested everything from 0F to 7F. The higher the number, the brighter the IC. You must have the F after the number otherwise the display seems to resort to the lowest brightness setting. I ultimately settled on 7F, setting the control display to minimum, then lowering the overall illumination with the wheel dial near the lights control.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1114.50
      02-10-2022, 08:09 PM   #84
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I reverted back to 0x3F.

I did some testing tonight in my garage. The brightness of the IC is controlled by this step, with the numerical input determining the brightness. I tested everything from 0F to 7F. The higher the number, the brighter the IC. You must have the F after the number otherwise the display seems to resort to the lowest brightness setting. I ultimately settled on 7F, setting the control display to minimum, then lowering the overall illumination with the wheel dial near the lights control.
Just wanted to make sure you realize that the assignment is in hex numbers.
Surely you can set it to any reasonable hex number within the "allowed" range, whatever that may be. I suspect 0-127 decimal. Which is a maximum of 7F in hex (127 decimal).

For perspective, 3F happens to be 63 decimal. Which is about half of 7F (half of 127).
      02-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #85
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep

I coded it multiple times, simply changing the integer followed by F, with 7F being the maximum allowed value when I was coding.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      02-10-2022, 08:51 PM   #86
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I coded it multiple times, simply changing the integer followed by F, with 7F being the maximum allowed value when I was coding.
Right I'm just saying you likely could have used any hex up to 7F without necessarily ending in F. For example value HEX 1A would have worked.
      02-11-2022, 12:14 AM   #87
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Right I'm just saying you likely could have used any hex up to 7F without necessarily ending in F. For example value HEX 1A would have worked.
We don't actually know if values above 7F are permitted. 80 through FF are theoretically possible but maybe values higher than 7F could cause issues or even damage.
      02-11-2022, 05:47 AM   #88
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "gnolivos;28574329"
We don't actually know if values above 7F are permitted. 80 through FF are theoretically possible but maybe values higher than 7F could cause issues or even damage.
I don't think anyone is suggesting values above 7F