BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #23
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is not correct, you are confusing the lane keeping assist with the cruise control with steering/lane control.

When the lane keeping assist is active you will see the icon in the IC. As soon as you turn on mode 2 cruise control that icon will disappear since lane keeping is not active.

Edit: Here is the symbol to show lane keeping is active.
Ok, so how do I turn JUST lane keeping assist on? I see no button or anything on the steering wheel to accomplish this. In the owner's manual, page 231 and 232 seem to cover this topic, and I see no way to enable lane keeping assist without also having cruise control active.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #24
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Good assessment!

I feel this too but on the left-side as I am in the UK. When I check the mirrors it does in-fact appear central, it's just that you can't judge the far-side of the vehicle as well as the near-side.

Assuming yours isn't faulty, it's apparent my camera is working by the following:
- It presents a 'Driver Attention Camera' error message if I cover the camera. It will do this no more than once per driving session
- It presents a green-light on the CiC/HUD if I'm not paying attention when traffic lights change to green
- When the car is stationary for extended periods, but still with Assisted Drive engaged, it will fail to restart the car when the following car moves on if my attention is diverted. It beeps and the Assisted Drive car graphic flashes. This is apparent as when I look at the camera, it will often then resume driving without any manual intervention

Other ways the camera may impact Assisted Driving:
- auto lane change may disengage if looking away. I believe this is to ensure you don't get too dependent on the lane change system e.g. just press the stalk rather than checking mirrors etc.
- If the DAC spots your eyes are closed for an extended period, or you are looking away, it may disengage the driver assistance steering
- I don't have nor need eTJA, but I would wager it would disengage if the camera couldn't see your eyes were open
Good pointers, thanks IFR, I will test those out. I hope it's not broken, I would hate to take it back to the service department because of my lack of trust in them. I think they more pretend to do things than they actually do.
      01-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #25
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Ok, so how do I turn JUST lane keeping assist on? I see no button or anything on the steering wheel to accomplish this. In the owner's manual, page 231 and 232 seem to cover this topic, and I see no way to enable lane keeping assist without also having cruise control active.
Lane Keeping Assist is a separate menu item and it does not require cruise control to be active, at least in my vehicle. Once that option is enabled, it's kinda always on, unless the system does not find proper lanes to guide itself. I have also kept Steering correction enabled and at medium because I think that helps in staying in the lane even when slightly distracted.
      01-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
TurtleBoy

Attaching pictures of the Situation vs Speed that I was referring to.

Ok thanks. That is not a specific mode of the cruise control but rather a feature of the cruise that was just introduced. I don't think we have any feedback yet on what it does or how it is working.
      01-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
It is always on by default, it is only off if you specifically turn it off in the safety features. You are still confusing the Cruise with the lane keeping. Pages 231 and 232 concern the cruise control functions and not lane keeping. Lane keeping is a safety system and covered under that section.
Attached Images

01-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #28
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
TurtleBoy

Attaching pictures of the Situation vs Speed that I was referring to.

Ok thanks. That is not a specific mode of the cruise control but rather a feature of the cruise that was just introduced. I don't think we have any feedback yet on what it does or how it is working.
I'm theorising that instead of the distance ratio increasing with additional speed, based on the driver selected distance, it adjusts the distance based on what's happening. Now this could be bad weather, cars slowing/ stopping further ahead, etc.

I'm not 100% but I have noticed it significantly increase the distance with heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I'm theorising that instead of the distance ratio increasing with additional speed, based on the driver selected distance, it adjusts the distance based on what's happening. Now this could be bad weather, cars slowing/ stopping further ahead, etc.

I'm not 100% but I have noticed it significantly increase the distance with heavy rain.
I would think you are correct on that. It will be interesting to get more feedback as people use it. Have you noticed any difference during "normal" driving?

I don't know if you have seen anything on Genesis' new cruise control but it learns your driving style and then mimics that. Evidently instead of using distance ratios you can have it learn how you usually drive in various conditions and then the cruise will mimic that.
      01-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #30
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:

I would think you are correct on that. It will be interesting to get more feedback as people use it. Have you noticed any difference during "normal" driving?

I don't know if you have seen anything on Genesis' new cruise control but it learns your driving style and then mimics that. Evidently instead of using distance ratios you can have it learn how you usually drive in various conditions and then the cruise will mimic that.
Just found this is an owners manual:

"Automatic adaptation of the
distance
Depending on the equipment and national-mar‐ ket version: the system can be adjusted so that the distance is automatically adjusted within the configured distance level according to the traffic situation or the ambient condition, for instance poor visibility.
The adjustment of the distance is shown in the display in the instrument cluster.
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Driver Assistance"
4. If necessary, "Driving"
5. "Speed Limit Assistance"
6. "Adjust distance acc. to situation"
"

I can't say I've seen any adjustment in normal driving, or a display change in the instrument cluster, but I'll look out for it now.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Just found this is an owners manual:

"Automatic adaptation of the
distance
Depending on the equipment and national-mar‐ ket version: the system can be adjusted so that the distance is automatically adjusted within the configured distance level according to the traffic situation or the ambient condition, for instance poor visibility.
The adjustment of the distance is shown in the display in the instrument cluster.
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Driver Assistance"
4. If necessary, "Driving"
5. "Speed Limit Assistance"
6. "Adjust distance acc. to situation"
"

I can't say I've seen any adjustment in normal driving, or a display change in the instrument cluster, but I'll look out for it now.
Your theory was spot on.
      01-05-2021, 11:00 PM   #32
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It is always on by default, it is only off if you specifically turn it off in the safety features. You are still confusing the Cruise with the lane keeping. Pages 231 and 232 concern the cruise control functions and not lane keeping. Lane keeping is a safety system and covered under that section.
Understood, thanks for the detailed explanation.

What it comes down to is that the system does not work the way it does in our 2019 Audi Q7 - which allows the lane keeping/assist to engage without cruise control. In my experience, this feature reduces fatigue when highway driving without cruise, it is too bad that iDrive 7 does not support it.

I owned a X3M for a short while last year and IIRC, it also supported this configuration. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:15 PM   #33
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I test drove a 21 X5 with it to see how much I'd like it. While it's cool feature to show off (like the gesture controls), I couldn't see myself ever using it. To me, it was just another thing to go wrong and cause dash lights while never reaping the benefits.

I got a BMW for the driving experience, and knowing that a computer is controlling the driving does not sit well with me and not worth the "upgrade" Maybe if I was in constant traffic, I would feel differently. Or maybe I'm just a control freak who likes to be in charge of the driving
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #34
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Quote:

What it comes down to is that the system does not work the way it does in our 2019 Audi Q7 - which allows the lane keeping/assist to engage without cruise control. In my experience, this feature reduces fatigue when highway driving without cruise, it is too bad that iDrive 7 does not support it.

I owned a X3M for a short while last year and IIRC, it also supported this configuration. Oh well.
I’m not sure this is correct. I don’t want to argue with people that have this car as I’ve spent a total of 1 hr driving the X5 but I BELIEVE the system does work similarly to our Audi system. I just think we’re talking semantics.

It appears that the lane departure system - which is part of the safety system not the adaptive cruise system- does work to help keep you in your lane unless you turn it off in the safety menu.

I believe the more robust lane keeping assist MAY be more robust because it adds using radar, etc in addition to the cameras for the lane departure system to better control the car for semi autonomous driving when ACC is on.

I’m guessing that the different responses may be more likely due to experience with BMW cars vs other manufacturers like Audi, Infiniti, etc.

I’m with you, having that safety of the car doing a decent job keeping you in your lane without ACC is a huge plus and I’m used to that with my current Audi and previous Infinitis. It just makes driving less fatiguing and helps if your attention is diverted for a moment.

I believe the lane departure system as part of the safety system does this. At least hoping so!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #35
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

Evidently not because you still mentioned the highlighted above which is 100% wrong since that is how to works in iDrive7. I would suggest taking a step back, doing some reading of your manual and trying out different features.

It seems like what you want is the steering part of cruise mode 2 (keeping you centered) without the speed control. That does not exist in any BMW as far as I know.
      01-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #36
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Evidently not because you still mentioned the highlighted above which is 100% wrong since that is how to works in iDrive7. I would suggest taking a step back, doing some reading of your manual and trying out different features.

It seems like what you want is the steering part of cruise mode 2 (keeping you centered) without the speed control. That does not exist in any BMW as far as I know.
That's exactly what I've done - poured over the manual even before my original post. I think we're talking past each other here.

As I mentioned previously, I owned a X3M recently with iDrive 6 (albeit only for about 6 months) that behaved 100% differently than my X5 M50i with regards to how the lane keeping/assist operate. The X3M behaved exactly like my Audi SQ5, Q7, and previous cars with driver assist features - you could enable the lane keeping assist WITH the steering part (e.g. would steer you around a curve, etc) at any time, without cruise control. In the X3M, this is called "Steering and traffic jam assist", on pg. 214-217 of the manual. It does not deactivate when the brake pedal is pressed. This sort of behavior seems to be impossible with the X5/iDrive 7.

I did confirm that the general "shake the wheel if you drift out of your lane and bump you back in to your lane" does behave as expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #37
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I test drove a 21 X5 with it to see how much I'd like it. While it's cool feature to show off (like the gesture controls), I couldn't see myself ever using it. To me, it was just another thing to go wrong and cause dash lights while never reaping the benefits.

I got a BMW for the driving experience, and knowing that a computer is controlling the driving does not sit well with me and not worth the "upgrade" Maybe if I was in constant traffic, I would feel differently. Or maybe I'm just a control freak who likes to be in charge of the driving

Gesture control, even though is a cool feature, I abandoned it after a while because I realized that I am more of a hand talker and that use to create massive confusion with the gesture control

I agree, the vehicle being in control kinda suck my life initially, but then the blood rush that I would get when the vehicle self maneuvers between two huge vehicles in a narrow lane would be priceless. I use it almost 100% of the time. I always keep holding the wheel gently and can sense the wheel moving under my palm.
      01-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #38
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what I've done - poured over the manual even before my original post. I think we're talking past each other here.

As I mentioned previously, I owned a X3M recently with iDrive 6 (albeit only for about 6 months) that behaved 100% differently than my X5 M50i with regards to how the lane keeping/assist operate. The X3M behaved exactly like my Audi SQ5, Q7, and previous cars with driver assist features - you could enable the lane keeping assist WITH the steering part (e.g. would steer you around a curve, etc) at any time, without cruise control. In the X3M, this is called "Steering and traffic jam assist", on pg. 214-217 of the manual. It does not deactivate when the brake pedal is pressed. This sort of behavior seems to be impossible with the X5/iDrive 7.

I did confirm that the general "shake the wheel if you drift out of your lane and bump you back in to your lane" does behave as expected.

Then you missed it because lane assist, steering you back into the lane, certainly works without cruise being enabled.

As mentioned before, you are expecting a feature that doesn’t exist.

I suggest going to your dealer and have the genius explain the systems to you. Your description of the X3M is likely also incorrect.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 01-06-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #39
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Then you missed it because lane assist, steering you back into the lane, certainly works without cruise being enabled.

As mentioned before, you are expecting a feature that doesn’t exist.

I suggest going to your dealer and have the genius explain the systems to you. Your description of the X3M is likely also incorrect.
I've attached the relevant pages from the X3M manual and the X5 manual.

On the X5, the Steering and Lane control Assist has one major difference between how it functions on the X3M - specifically, on the X5, the function is disabled when you apply the brakes (highlighted). This does not occur on the X3M.

So, while I do acknowledge that it might be possible to engage the Steering and Lane control assist and not have ACC (although the manual seems to suggest otherwise - highlighted in purple), it seems pointless if applying the brakes is going to turn the function off.

Again, I do understand this is not the same thing as the "Lane departure warning" function which is a part of the Intelligent Safety system on both vehicles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I've attached the relevant pages from the X3M manual and the X5 manual.

On the X5, the Steering and Lane control Assist has one major difference between how it functions on the X3M - specifically, on the X5, the function is disabled when you apply the brakes (highlighted). This does not occur on the X3M.

So, while I do acknowledge that it might be possible to engage the Steering and Lane control assist and not have ACC (although the manual seems to suggest otherwise - highlighted in purple), it seems pointless if applying the brakes is going to turn the function off.

Again, I do understand this is not the same thing as the "Lane departure warning" function which is a part of the Intelligent Safety system on both vehicles.
I will suggest once again, please step back and read the manual and try and understand what it is saying and not what you want it to say.

As far as the the bolded passage above, no one anywhere in this thread has stated that is possible. Saying things like that is what leads people to believe that you do not understand the systems.

The Steering and Lane Control is mode 2 of the Adaptive Cruise and has nothing to do with the steering for the Lane Keeping Assist with steering. As stated previously, the lane keeping assist is only active when you are not using the cruise or when you are using Mode 1 of the cruise.

The Lane Keeping with steering assist is enabled by using the setting below.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.54.40 PM.png
Views: 2385
Size:  87.9 KB

Until you get a better handle on the Driver Assistance features it probably would be best that you don't use them as it could be dangerous to yourself and others. Good luck.
      01-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #41
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I will suggest once again, please step back and read the manual and try and understand what it is saying and not what you want it to say.
This is my last post on this. Not sure why it has devolved to this level, but it is what it is.

We are clearly talking about two different things. So, for anyone else reading this thread, I am going to summarize it in the event someone else has a similar question in the future.

You are talking about the Lane departure warning feature (pg. 206 in the 2021 X5 manual), which is part of the Intelligent Safety System. This system works exactly as you've described.

I am talking about the feature BMW calls Steering assistant (pg. 245 in the latest 2021 X5 manual). This system is also referred to as the Steering and Lane Control Assistant in older versions of the G05 manual (and even in the 2021 manual reference section).

The first paragraph (Concept) of this system says:

The system assists the driver in keeping the ve‐
hicle within the lane. For this purpose, the sys‐
tem executes supporting steering movements,
for instance when driving in a curve.

This is the exact same language used in the X3M manual for the Steering and traffic jam assistant function.

Engaging the brakes disables this system on the X5. This same system on the X3M does not disable when the brakes are engaged.
So, taking the long way around it seems, that is the point I've been trying to make here.

My other recent vehicles, Audi SQ5/Q7, have similar "steering assist, drive you around a curve, etc" systems that do not deactivate when the brakes are applied.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

^ As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

For those still sticking with this, please ignore the misleading/incorrect/confusing post above. He clearly is still confused and does not understand how the cruise control works and the different modes that it uses. The Steering Assistant is the second mode of the cruise control and uses steering in addition to the adaptive cruise crontrol.
      01-06-2021, 09:24 PM   #43
beerman80
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Quote:
This is my last post on this. Not sure why it has devolved to this level, but it is what it is.

We are clearly talking about two different things. So, for anyone else reading this thread, I am going to summarize it in the event someone else has a similar question in the future.

You are talking about the Lane departure warning feature (pg. 206 in the 2021 X5 manual), which is part of the Intelligent Safety System. This system works exactly as you've described.

I am talking about the feature BMW calls Steering assistant (pg. 245 in the latest 2021 X5 manual). This system is also referred to as the Steering and Lane Control Assistant in older versions of the G05 manual (and even in the 2021 manual reference section).

The first paragraph (Concept) of this system says:

The system assists the driver in keeping the ve‐
hicle within the lane. For this purpose, the sys‐
tem executes supporting steering movements,
for instance when driving in a curve.

This is the exact same language used in the X3M manual for the Steering and traffic jam assistant function.

Engaging the brakes disables this system on the X5. This same system on the X3M does not disable when the brakes are engaged.
So, taking the long way around it seems, that is the point I've been trying to make here.

My other recent vehicles, Audi SQ5/Q7, have similar "steering assist, drive you around a curve, etc" systems that do not deactivate when the brakes are applied.
I think I know exactly what you are talking about. My 2018 M550i has steering assist that keeps me centered in the lane and will steer the car around curves. It is also independent of my active cruise control as I often turn it on without using cruise control and it stays on whether I brake or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:08 AM   #44
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman80 View Post
I think I know exactly what you are talking about. My 2018 M550i has steering assist that keeps me centered in the lane and will steer the car around curves. It is also independent of my active cruise control as I often turn it on without using cruise control and it stays on whether I brake or not.
I see exactly what your saying. Perhaps it would have been better to clarify that this feature option has absolutely nothing to do with "Cruise Control". From what you are saying this feature was just what you and the manual are describing. "Steering Assist" NOT cruise control.

This must have been a separate function which was activated with a separate button. Do you happen to have a picture of the button that activates this feature on your M550i? That might help clarify it for others and avoid the dark path this post has traveled down.

It's probably a moot point now as this option is apparently no longer a feature/option on the current generation of BMW X5/X7s.
Appreciate 0