BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #23
(X5_G05)
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5G05_Xline40i;LS460 F Sport

I just leased my '20 X5 on Monday, and couldn't stand the silver trims on the front bumper. Being that she's leased, I'm not going to do any permanent mods.

Used 1 can of plasti dip to blackout the 3 pieces on front bumper. Not too bad for $6 can of plasti dip & about 3 hours to complete the job.

They also have a smoke plasti dip that i'll use for the long orange reflectors on the front bumper. I'll update w/ pics of that once complete.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #24
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthall View Post
Has anyone black vinyl this piece or painted it or found black replacement?

Thanks!
I wrapped mine with gloss black. Looks way better. It was easier to do with that piece off the car though. Took a few minutes to figure out how the tabs worked but eventually it came off. Not a professional job on the wrap but you can’t see any wrinkles unless you get real close. I may eventually just buy replacement trim pieces and have them professionally painted gloss black. After that I ended up wrapping all the other gray and chrome pieces on the car except the grill- I bought a double slat gloss black replacement for that. I will probably purchase the black gloss window trim and roof rails from an OEM parts site at some point but for now the vinyl looks good enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #25
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Here’s a pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Chrudosh150.50
      12-26-2020, 10:35 PM   #26
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I wrapped mine with gloss black. Looks way better. It was easier to do with that piece off the car though. Took a few minutes to figure out how the tabs worked but eventually it came off. Not a professional job on the wrap but you can’t see any wrinkles unless you get real close. I may eventually just buy replacement trim pieces and have them professionally painted gloss black. After that I ended up wrapping all the other gray and chrome pieces on the car except the grill- I bought a double slat gloss black replacement for that. I will probably purchase the black gloss window trim and roof rails from an OEM parts site at some point but for now the vinyl looks good enough.
How did you take it off the car? Could you let me know please?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #27
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

There are a Series of plastic tabs that hold it on the car. I recall 5 total. Most you access from underneath the lower edges of the horizontal pieces. Three on the bottom horizontal section and two on the top one. I think there there is one tab on the lower horizontal piece closest to the side of the car that is on the top.

I will say that they were on there strongly enough that I thought I would break it taking it off. But one was already cracked after I accidentally backed into it with my golf cart I had already found replacement parts online so I figured if I completely broke it I would just replace it anyway. But with a lot of force, pulling from the outside edge first, you will eventually see where the tabs are. I have a trim removal tool kit but I needed to use a very fine tipped flat head screwdriver for most because there isn’t a ton of space between the trim piece and the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #28
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
There are a Series of plastic tabs that hold it on the car. I recall 5 total. Most you access from underneath the lower edges of the horizontal pieces. Three on the bottom horizontal section and two on the top one. I think there there is one tab on the lower horizontal piece closest to the side of the car that is on the top.

I will say that they were on there strongly enough that I thought I would break it taking it off. But one was already cracked after I accidentally backed into it with my golf cart I had already found replacement parts online so I figured if I completely broke it I would just replace it anyway. But with a lot of force, pulling from the outside edge first, you will eventually see where the tabs are. I have a trim removal tool kit but I needed to use a very fine tipped flat head screwdriver for most because there isn’t a ton of space between the trim piece and the bumper.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #29
ellismw
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Quote:

Were you able to take the silver kickboards off as well to wrap? Probably calling them by the wrong name but it is the silver strip that runs the length of the side skirt.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #30
ellismw
Rep

I recently took the front off mine. Here are the pics of the underside. I definitely snapped a few of the latches but I am pretty sure it will go back on just fine.

Three clasps on the top (small arm) and 2 on the bottom (long arm).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #31
ellismw
Rep

Not sure why it's not letting me upload pics from my phone. See attached
Attached Images

Last edited by ellismw; 04-26-2021 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 09:04 PM   #32
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellismw View Post
Quote:

Were you able to take the silver kickboards off as well to wrap? Probably calling them by the wrong name but it is the silver strip that runs the length of the side skirt.
No need to take them off. It was actually fairly easy to wrap with them on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:10 AM   #33
Jonathan_S
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 g05

Nice job. Mine was wrapped on the car and it's perfect ��
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #34
punknart
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Here’s a pic

Hey , can you please post more pictures? Ive got the same Xline and colour. I want to wrap it as well but not sure how it looks in blue.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #35
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Nice! Can you share a link to the product you used to wrap it?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #36
FunkyX5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
The black trim looks great. Looking to do the same for mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:27 PM   #37
raldy14
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Garage List
BMW X5 30d, all chrome gone and all plastic painted
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #38
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

I had some satin trim bits painted black. Here's a shot of the front on Jet Black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #39
Alpen_Geoff
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2022 x5 45e

Those who wrapped the bumper pieces, did you use the vinyl tape or cut it out from a bigger sheet?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #40
bagd0003
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3, 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raldy14 View Post
BMW X5 30d, all chrome gone and all plastic painted
Looks awesome! Did you have the exhast tips powder coated/painted black or bought them like that? I'm not able to find any black tips for non-M sport models. Thanks!
Appreciate 0