BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #23
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Translate and test is the only way to figure out what they do.

Why did you create a new fa? Just edit yours change the build date and save back out
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #24
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d Touring xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Why did you create a new fa? Just edit yours change the build date and save back out
Opsss

About the capacity of tank.. do you have any idea why it changed or what mistake it may have made?
thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #25
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Never seen it before

Redo with your own fa compared with your own fa modified to my22
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #26
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Never seen it before

you were right ifr (as always! )
I started with my original FA and only changed the production date.
Now the changes are much less and more similar to yours
I will test as soon as possible

I hope there is new 3d view on the HUD
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #27
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpgiuliano View Post
Quote:
Never seen it before

you were right ifr (as always! )
I started with my original FA and only changed the production date.
Now the changes are much less and more similar to yours
I will test as soon as possible

I hope there is new 3d view on the HUD
I haven't seen any, but 07/21 istep would be where they are potentially. Unless it needs different hardware then we wouldn't see the cafd that has the new 3D coding, without some creative thinking
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #28
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Hi
I would try to coding the Emergency Stop Assistant in my g21.
I see it’s not available yet for my model but it is available for g30/31.
Obviously I have driving assistant plus and parking assistant plus so I think my hardware would be compatible with emergency stop assistant

If I build an FA of G31 my21 to compare with mine is it possible to discover what parameters I need to change?
Will I still have to use the SVT of my car or will I have to build the SVT of the G31?

Does anyone know which ecu are interested in coding?

I think sas3, vip, bdc and hu_mgu
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #29
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi
I would try to coding the Emergency Stop Assistant in my g21.
I see it's not available yet for my model but it is available for g30/31.
Obviously I have driving assistant plus and parking assistant plus so I think my hardware would be compatible with emergency stop assistant

If I build an FA of G31 my21 to compare with mine is it possible to discover what parameters I need to change?
Will I still have to use the SVT of my car or will I have to build the SVT of the G31?

Does anyone know which ecu are interested in coding?

I think sas3, vip, bdc and hu_mgu
I don't think you should try and code this.

I know exactly what you need to code and where, but it's a safety feature that's not available on your model, so shouldn't be messed with.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #30
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you should try and code this.

I know exactly what you need to code and where, but it's a safety feature that's not available on your model, so shouldn't be messed with.
I understand. Can you suggest me some functions that I could try to compare and discover on my own to do some practice, without playing on "not too delicate" things?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #31
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I understand. Can you suggest me some functions that I could try to compare and discover on my own to do some practice, without playing on "not too delicate" things?
I'd stick with your own model. Most of the S18A models have the same features give or take.

I only tend to create FA for other models when helping out others.

The G05 has very similar features to all the current models, the variations come from regions and build version.

As an EU model owner we have more features enabled than most other regions so regional variations don't really come into it - some examples are eTJA which cant be coded, and remote start.

So that leaves build version - I'd experiment changing the versions and see what you can identify between your build date and current and future builds for the whole car. The key then is to figure out what works with your hardware, and what breaks, and to do that you need ISTA to monitor for faults generated when coding the 'wrong' item. Examples of codes that are undesirable for earlier MY (e.g. MY19) are:
- aPDC brake on flank. the rear side sensors are different on newer MY and generate an error when coded on earlier MY
- ATM2. If you have ATM1 then this wont work
- Seat lock config - different hardware that will generate errors on earlier MY if coded
- Disable music harddrive - not great for earlier MY as we have the hdd, whereas newer models don't, so another example of when newer icoding isnt always better coding

Thats the scientific approach, there's also research into what BMW are developing and releasing. Assisted Driving View (ADV) is one example. There are no obvious correlation between the codes other than they are part of MY20. I figured out the coding because BMW rolled out a retrofit package of codes with 5AR (eTJA) for the Japanese market. That package included eTJA and ADV, so that's how I figured out what was needed. I created 2 x Japanese G05 FAs, with and without 5AR, compared them and bingo - there were the codes for ADV! It's been coded thousands of times since.

Last edited by ifr; 05-12-2021 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 07:46 PM   #32
phayze
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi,

Can check with you, what software do you need to create FA and compare the codes in the CAFD?

Quote:
I'd stick with your own model. Most of the S18A models have the same features give or take.

The G05 has very similar features to all the current models, the variations come from regions and build version.

As an EU model owner we have more features enabled than most other regions so regional variations don't really come into it - some examples are eTJA which cant be coded, and remote start.

So that leaves build version - I'd experiment changing the versions and see what you can identify between your build date and current and future builds for the whole car. The key then is to figure out what works with your hardware, and what breaks, and to do that you need ISTA to monitor for faults generated when coding the 'wrong' item. Examples of codes that are undesirable for earlier MY (e.g. MY19) are:
- aPDC brake on flank. the rear side sensors are different on newer MY and generate an error when coded on earlier MY
- Seat lock config - different hardware that will generate errors on earlier MY if coded
- Disable music harddrive - not great for earlier MY as we have the hdd, whereas newer models don't, so another example of when newer icoding isnt always better coding

Thats the scientific approach, there's also research into what BMW are developing and releasing. Assisted Driving View (ADV) is one example. There are no obvious correlation between the codes other than they are part of MY20. I figured out the coding because BMW rolled out a retrofit package of codes with 5AR (eTJA) for the Japanese market. That package included eTJA and ADV, so that's how I figured out what was needed. I created 2 x Japanese G05 FAs, with and without 5AR, compared them and bingo - there were the codes for ADV! It's been coded thousands of times since.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:50 PM   #33
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:

Oh that’s a lot of work that I did not imagine
I completely ignored the verification step with ista
Thanks
When u talk about “build” u mean only data of construction or also model variant (for example 6L71)?

Will ISTA tell you specifically what the error refers to if you make multiple changes to the control units?

Yesterday I found some interesting codes (I don’t change yet) that I don’t know if I can share here or I can send by email to u.

Ps In my19 I have already aPDC brake on flank without coding

Last edited by Fpgiuliano; 05-13-2021 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:51 PM   #34
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayze View Post
Hi,

Can check with you, what software do you need to create FA and compare the codes in the CAFD?
Esysx expert license + pszdata
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:29 AM   #35
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh that’s a lot of work that I did not imagine
I completely ignored the verification step with ista
Thanks
When u talk about “build” u mean only data of construction or also model variant (for example 6L71)?

Will ISTA tell you specifically what the error refers to if you make multiple changes to the control units?

Yesterday I found some interesting codes (I don’t change yet) that I don’t know if I can share here or I can send by email to u.

Ps In my19 I have already aPDC brake on flank without coding
build as in build date which is what the VO coding (manual or as part of an i-step upgrade (manual/OTA)) uses to determine what codes to set on the car

ISTA will present a fault with a lot of troubleshooting information, but you will need to work out which codes resulted in the error. This requires a holistic understanding of multiple systems on the car.

You must own a MY20 or later. As I recall, the new hardware was introduced with MY20.

I will caution that there are some codes that can potentially break the car, lock yourself out from the ECU, so be very careful with coding features that aren't supported for your model or hardware. Typically if they are set to False in the 'activation conditions' for your model, then there is an element of risk.

Last edited by ifr; 05-13-2021 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:39 AM   #36
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I will caution that there are some codes that can potentially break the car, lock yourself out from the ECU, so be very careful with coding features that aren't supported for your model or hardware. Typically if they are set to False in the 'activation conditions' for your model, then there is an element of risk.
But in theory I could not solve by resetting the old codes before the modification to solve any problems?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:48 AM   #37
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
But in theory I could not solve by resetting the old codes before the modification to solve any problems?
If the ECU is locked, and you cant connect to it over ethernet via the ZGW, then it will need to be benched.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #38
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Hi ifr
I have a problem with comparison of FA
I have read today all my ecu and I saved all caf files, fa and svt
In my car I have tla already coded

But when I compare FA of my car (with build date 11/2020) with my original FA (saved today) , using my original SVT(also saved this today), winmerge show me on the right panel (FA original) various parameters not coded (for example TLA)

Why? Maybe software compare only original version of FA’s files without considering the changes made by me in the ncd of the various ecu?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #39
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi ifr
I have a problem with comparison of FA
I have read today all my ecu and I saved all caf files, fa and svt
In my car I have tla already coded

But when I compare FA of my car (with build date 11/2020) with my original FA (saved today) , using my original SVT(also saved this today), winmerge show me on the right panel (FA original) various parameters not coded (for example TLA)

Why? Maybe software compare only original version of FA’s files without considering the changes made by me in the ncd of the various ecu?

Thanks
It doesnt use your ncd at all. It just compares the FA and svt as if you were VO Coding, so any fdl changes aren't relevant
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:44 AM   #40
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
If the ECU is locked, and you cant connect to it over ethernet via the ZGW, then it will need to be benched.
What ECU are you referring too? As I don't recall 'locked' modules on S18A based cars. The only lock these cars have is OBD lock to flash the DME.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #41
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:
What ECU are you referring too? As I don't recall 'locked' modules on S18A based cars. The only lock these cars have is OBD lock to flash the DME.
By locked i mean locked out, as in can't connect to the ECU due to a coding issue that prevents the ECU initialising, and not component protection or the 'secure coding'.

Hu_mgu is one that springs to mind, and still makes me twitch
Appreciate 0